Flyer Fans Love to Hate the Pens

Podein25

Shouldn't the pens just say they are bankrupt and threaten to move? I mean they could have gotten Conner mcdavid somehow from the league without even a 1st rd pick

I'm glad they were able to restructure, sell and get a new arena... If not I might never have seen a Stanley Cup, let alone three.

Pens should have won many more then just one being handed world talent after tanking on purpose . Sabres at least admit that's what they did. To me the pens are a failure. I would love to copy the Hawks mold of putting together a team and maybe just finally we have begun the process. The pens should be selling off pieces to restore the pipe lines and being a threat for the cup for years to come. Instead they further deplete the system with everyone knowing the window is shut for them.

Pens should have won many more then just one being handed world talent after tanking on purpose . Sabres at least admit that's what they did. To me the pens are a failure. I would love to copy the Hawks mold of putting together a team and maybe just finally we have begun the process. The pens should be selling off pieces to restore the pipe lines and being a threat for the cup for years to come. Instead they further deplete the system with everyone knowing the window is shut for them.

The age of the dynasty is all but gone. Chicago is an exception that has now caught up to the salary cap as we did. The Pens have done very well for themselves and anyone thinking rebuild while Crosby and Malkin are still prime clearly isn't thinking. They may not be done yet, and to sell that off for what again?

Your 40 years of mediocrity has turned you sour. A legitimately shitty rival "tanked"... Handed world talent by winning the lowest percentage chance lottery for the first pick in draft lottery history? Please... Revisit sour grapes over and over... Feel free... You must like whine. I mean wine... Sorry. ;)

Hate the Pens?! No, I love seeing the Pens because this usually means Flyers victory. Check out the following excerpt from a yahoo article from last month:  

"Thankfully, the Flyers have come out on top of this rivarly so far, holding a 150-93-30 record against the Pens while essentially owning Pittsburgh at home in Consol Energy Center 13-2-1. Even better? The Penguins haven’t beaten the Flyers since October of 2013."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-s-summer-series--the-philadelphia-flyers-from-a-to-z-040348696.html

The age of the dynasty is all but gone. Chicago is an exception that has now caught up to the salary cap as we did. The Pens have done very well for themselves and anyone thinking rebuild while Crosby and Malkin are still prime clearly isn't thinking. They may not be done yet, and to sell that off for what again?

Your 40 years of mediocrity has turned you sour. A legitimately shitty rival "tanked"... Handed world talent by winning the lowest percentage chance lottery for the first pick in draft lottery history? Please... Revisit sour grapes over and over... Feel free... You must like whine. I mean wine... Sorry. ;)

The fact that the Hawks won three cups certainly doesn't demonstrate that dynasties are dead. I think it does prove that they are different because of the cap. Teams have to draft well, develop players and be willing and able to swap out higher paid playoff heros with guys coming up in their systems. There is some luck as well obviously. This is how Chicago did it (same core, different supporting casts) and they were reportedly smart enough to realize that if they want to remain a perennial contender they had to start thinking about unloading a superstar contract (prior to Kane getting in trouble). The Pens might do well to realize that themselves.

Exactly. The pens window has closed. One cup with their super star core is an absolute failure. What they should have done was dump either Crosby and Malkin and get huge assetts for the now and future. They really have nothing else of interest. Nobody will take letang. He's a dumpster fire anymore. Never understood that contract. Good luck to them. They will be spending a very long time in the cellar starting in two years. Better win now !!!!

Hate the Pens?! No, I love seeing the Pens because this usually means Flyers victory. Check out the following excerpt from a yahoo article from last month:

"Thankfully, the Flyers have come out on top of this rivarly so far, holding a 150-93-30 record against the Pens while essentially owning Pittsburgh at home in Consol Energy Center 13-2-1. Even better? The Penguins haven’t beaten the Flyers since October of 2013."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-s-summer-series--the-philadelphia-flyers-from-a-to-z-040348696.html

Which is really confusing for a non-playoff team to do so well but only against one opponent. Speaks volumes about problems in the locker room for the Flyers really. Either team cohesion or management. Leadership? Not sure which.

The fact that the Hawks won three cups certainly doesn't demonstrate that dynasties are dead. I think it does prove that they are different because of the cap. Teams have to draft well, develop players and be willing and able to swap out higher paid playoff heros with guys coming up in their systems. There is some luck as well obviously. This is how Chicago did it (same core, different supporting casts) and they were reportedly smart enough to realize that if they want to remain a perennial contender they had to start thinking about unloading a superstar contract (prior to Kane getting in trouble). The Pens might do well to realize that themselves.

The Pens did just as the Hawks did, as far as a core group and filling in the pieces. Difference is the Pens lost their first Cup or nobody would be saying much really. The Hawks have the same cap issues now thanks to the big boy contracts and Seabrook or Keith will be on the outs. I like the Pens chances this season though. Truly.

Exactly. The pens window has closed. One cup with their super star core is an absolute failure. What they should have done was dump either Crosby and Malkin and get huge assetts for the now and future. They really have nothing else of interest. Nobody will take letang. He's a dumpster fire anymore. Never understood that contract. Good luck to them. They will be spending a very long time in the cellar starting in two years. Better win now !!!!

How exactly is their window closed? What are they missing that they had when they won? They've added depth, Kessel, and a solid youth with talent at defense. Please explain?

The Pens did just as the Hawks did, as far as a core group and filling in the pieces. Difference is the Pens lost their first Cup or nobody would be saying much really. The Hawks have the same cap issues now thanks to the big boy contracts and Seabrook or Keith will be on the outs. I like the Pens chances this season though. Truly.

I guess we'll see. I've thought for awhile that having so much cap space tied up in Malkin and Crosby makes the Pens worse not better and that the kind of return they could net for Malkin would make them a harder team to game plan.

Which is really confusing for a non-playoff team to do so well but only against one opponent. Speaks volumes about problems in the locker room for the Flyers really. Either team cohesion or management. Leadership? Not sure which.

What's really confusing is how the Penguins have managed to lose every single game played against the Flyers since October of 2013, now that speaks volumes.

You are correct about the Flyers being a "non-playoff team" last year while the Penguins were competing for a Cup in the postseason. However, the Pens lost 4-1 in the first round of the playoffs to the NYR.

But look on the bright side, that's one more win than the Pens have had against the Flyers over their last eight contests ;)

The best move that Mario gave the Flyers fans is the hiring of Rutherford. The window is closed and Mario is laughing all the way to the bank. Sell now while they are decent bc this club is on the slide in terms of talent...

Pat Croce had Iverson and Mario had Crosby. Mario sells the Team at top dollar just like Pat and the organization turns to crap.

The best move that Mario gave the Flyers fans is the hiring of Rutherford. The window is closed and Mario is laughing all the way to the bank. Sell now while they are decent bc this club is on the slide in terms of talent...

Pat Croce had Iverson and Mario had Crosby. Mario sells the Team at top dollar just like Pat and the organization turns to crap.

I don't know Rutherford did pretty decent with his small market team in the Canes....even won a Cup there...i'm still waiting to see one in Philly.

Though I agree Rutherford has a bad history and was very against his being hired, I have to say I rather like what he's done outside of the Depres-Lovejoy fiasco. I think the Kessel move is awesome myself. I'll be extremely surprised if Kessel is dumb enough to blow this opportunity. And I take his working out with Roberts before training camp starts as a small indicator he may know just what an opportunity this is as well. In my opinion he's a major upgrade over James Neal, and call him fat and lazy all you want, but he has averaged over 60 points per season with no serious center on a losing team, and has a current iron man streak of over 350 games straight... Plus adding Fehr and Bonino? This team is on a rise, not a slump.

I guess we'll see. I've thought for awhile that having so much cap space tied up in Malkin and Crosby makes the Pens worse not better and that the kind of return they could net for Malkin would make them a harder team to game plan.

I think the problem is you couldn't get that much for Malkin. He's a great talent, sure, but the way teams are overpaying players, you've got to find two guys (or more) who make $4.5 million but have talent worth more to come out any better. Who's trading that? And draft picks MAY help in the future, but will the core (Crosby, Letang, Fleury) still be there to build upon?

Which is really confusing for a non-playoff team to do so well but only against one opponent

Not just one opponent, the Flyers were nearly undefeated against playoff teams the last few months of last season.  The flip side being they couldn't beat an opponent with a losing record.

Your 40 years of mediocrity has turned you sour....

Even though the Flyers haven't won a Cup in that time, I wouldn't say more Stanley Cup appearances than any other team but the Bruins (and twice as many as the Penguins), better win percentage than any other team than the Canadiens (and more playoff appearances and more series wins over the Penguins) classifies as "mediocrity."

The Flyers have never selected their own number #1, with only 5 top 5 picks since expansion.  The Pens have picked 13 times (!) in the top 5, with three on the current team.

Flyers have an all time .577 winning percentage, second best in the league since expansion.  Aptly enough, the Pens are the very definition of sub-mediocre, at .496.

Eight game losing streak vs. the Pens notwithstanding, the Pens would have to beat the Flyers 56 straight times in regulation, sweep the next 14 season series to break even.

Not just one opponent, the Flyers were nearly undefeated against playoff teams the last few months of last season. The flip side being they couldn't beat an opponent with a losing record.

Even though the Flyers haven't won a Cup in that time, I wouldn't say more Stanley Cup appearances than any other team but the Bruins (and twice as many as the Penguins), better win percentage than any other team than the Canadiens (and more playoff appearances and more series wins over the Penguins) classifies as "mediocrity."

The Flyers have never selected their own number #1, with only 5 top 5 picks since expansion. The Pens have picked 13 times (!) in the top 5, with three on the current team.

Flyers have an all time .577 winning percentage, second best in the league since expansion. Aptly enough, the Pens are the very definition of sub-mediocre, at .496.

Eight game losing streak vs. the Pens notwithstanding, the Pens would have to beat the Flyers 56 straight times in regulation, sweep the next 14 season series to break even.

I'm sorry, but to me, you could have a .750 winning percentage in the regular season and no Cups for 40 years, and that's still mediocrity. I didn't say stinking, as my Pens have done in and off for long stretches, but mediocrity. Some excitement, some disappointment, some success, some failure, but neither extremes.

Archived