Game #3 - Panthers at Flyers - Oct 12 2015 - 7:00

brelic

I thought Gudas was really good last night... not the best skater but certainly brings the physical element.  I am pretty much ready for Gagner to take RJ's spot in the lineup.   He brings much more skill and I thought he had a really good night.   

Time for G, Jake and Raff to just shoot the puck and crash the net.  Tired of the no-look highlight reel pass attempts...

Really like what Gudas brought last night. Same with Gagner. You know, it's early, but when Umberger comes back to the lineup, I'd prefer it be over VandeVelde at this point.

I actually was thinking the same thing last night Brel...   **IF** RJ continues to look like he has in the preseason and first few games I would keep Gagner in the lineup for skill and have RJ move into VV spot.   

I thought Gudas was really good last night... not the best skater but certainly brings the physical element. I am pretty much ready for Gagner to take RJ's spot in the lineup. He brings much more skill and I thought he had a really good night.

Time for G, Jake and Raff to just shoot the puck and crash the net. Tired of the no-look highlight reel pass attempts...

I was thinking along those lines, trying to figure out how to fit RJ and Gagner. Not sure how I didn't come up with scratching Vandevelde...

Not sure how I didn't come up with scratching Vandevelde...

There is a bit of "if it's not broke, don't fix it" going on with the fourth line. The guys know their roles and they play them well.

I'm not sure that either Umburglar or Gagner on that line would be as effective, to tell the truth.

Not that they/we/I shouldn't/wouldn't try it - but I can see where Hackstol might be wary of it.

Really like what Gudas brought last night. Same with Gagner. You know, it's early, but when Umberger comes back to the lineup, I'd prefer it be over VandeVelde at this point.
Neuvirth was excellent. Nice to have a real goaltending tandem.
Manning was much better. He's still prone to making really soft passes that get cut off, but he did look a lot more poised.
Remember when we were worried about secondary scoring? Well, how about some primary scoring??? That top line is getting its chances but they always seem to want to make the pretty play.

Gudas and Gagner were both instrumental in the win and made some goofy mistakes in the name of trying too hard that thankfully the team withstood.

Which was really the most impressive part of this win for me.  The team just managed the mistakes quite well.  There really weren't too many "breakdowns". They really looked quite strong and confident in their own end and on the breakout for a change.  I have to trust that turning that into opportunities at the other end is something that will come. 

From what I could see it really started to look like a very disciplined game plan being enacted and adhered to, at least defensively and a bit on the transition.  The transition looked wonderful at times and I was thrilled to see it.  It didn't result in goals, but I loved seeing them carry and pass and seeing guys know where to go and seeing the puck carrier know where to send it to get to them.  This is what's so sorely been missing and frankly what's been killing Schenn and Coots and to some extent Simmer.

Anyone know why Simmer wasn't playing many minutes earlier on?  They showed a stat  near the end of the first that he only had like 1:15 of ice time or something.  Partly because they spent 4mins shorthanded early on and with Laughton (Wayne's line mate at that) in the box. 

Anyway, my confidence in them was really bolstered seeing them collapse on the play in their own zone and really stifle opportunities and turn that into outlets really quite well.  It's the kind of thing that doesn't require a lot of speed and that most NHL players should be able to cope with.

I don't know why Schenn is such a whiney PITA about playing center.  It really seems to work with him on Coots' wing.  Coots was really playing like the kind of C I think he can be.  He carries the puck well and sees the play well. Jining the play for The quick dish back to Gagner on the goal was quite nice.

I also loved seeing Coots forecheck.  He hasn't had much chance to do that the past two years.  It works for him!

I also loved seeing Coots forecheck.  He hasn't had much chance to do that the past two years.  It works for him!

So is he a bit faster? I haven't seen enough of the 3 games to judge, but I saw someone mention it. Has he (finally) gotten a bit faster?

I thought Gudas was really good last night... not the best skater but certainly brings the physical element.  I am pretty much ready for Gagner to take RJ's spot in the lineup.   He brings much more skill and I thought he had a really good night.   

Time for G, Jake and Raff to just shoot the puck and crash the net.  Tired of the no-look highlight reel pass attempts...

Assuming RJ has a day to day injury of some sort, I'd think he has to be back in the lineup.  He looked too good in game 1.  Even if he wasn't hurt and sitting last night was "punishment" for dogging it in game 2, you have to give him a chance to get back into the lineup. 

If RJ can put up numbers, he has to play.  A)  he'll contribute and that'll help because the offense is still pretty anemic (appropriately so BTW, I'm not too upset by it yet, this could take a while to get the hang of) but B) it'll make him more attractive for a potential trade.  If we're waffling back and forth over whether he or Gagner should be in the lineup, that means that one of them is moveable and anyone who is moveable SHOULD be moved on this team.  Especially if he makes 5.25 million for another year and a half.

So is he a bit faster? I haven't seen enough of the 3 games to judge, but I saw someone mention it. Has he (finally) gotten a bit faster?

i'm seeing improvement in two areas where i thought there was opportunity. (sorry just got back from a corporate gig)  .  He is using his frame to protect the puck better, in the past he's been an relatively easy strip, not so much this year. And he seems "quicker" and more nimble  I don't see him with the slow first stride like last year.  looks like he has worked on his skating to me.

And he seems "quicker" and more nimble  I don't see him with the slow first stride like last year.  looks like he has worked on his skating to me.

Cheers. Something to keep an eye on. Haven't seen him shoot yet, that's the other thing he needs to improve.

there's too much talent on this team to finish , you know ,as a lottery team.

so far i like what i've seen, admittedly i missed most of the Panther's home opener,  however i can't seem to square with the idea of the team sucking.  I don't see that, I think they will win more than they lose, which may not be good enough to get into the playoffs because the division is chock full of teams that got better after finishing higher than our guys last year.  

I feel this group is trending in the right direction.

there's too much talent on this team to finish , you know ,as a lottery team.

Technically if they miss the playoffs, they are in the lottery.

They just have a real "lottery" chance instead of a realistic lottery chance.

That could be a chance to get into the top three, though.

ANYTHING would be better than the last goal 'song'. That grating ear-raping noise was irritating as F. 

I misheard the song. Turns out it isn't Gonna Fly Now. It's some silly EDM song or something 

Neuvirth was excellent. Nice to have a real goaltending tandem.

Manning was much better. He's still prone to making really soft passes that get cut off, but he did look a lot more poised.

Remember when we were worried about secondary scoring? Well, how about some primary scoring??? That top line is getting its chances but they always seem to want to make the pretty play.

Totally agree with this.  Not that RJ can expect many offensive opportunities playing 4th line minutes but at least he provides a little more offensive upside.  VandeVelde with all due respect is not an NHL caliber player.  I mean he's here because of the PK but the PK last year was horrible.  Not putting that all on him but its not like taking him out messes with some successful formula they had.  

Technically if they miss the playoffs, they are in the lottery.

They just have a real "lottery" chance instead of a realistic lottery chance.

That could be a chance to get into the top three, though.

well by all means let's split hairs.... :rolleyes: because that is some fun stuff. 

they aren't bad like the oil , sabres , hurricanes or coyotes have been, you know really terrible teams.   better ?

they aren't bad like the oil , sabres , hurricanes or coyotes have been, you know really terrible teams. better

Well, I agree with that, obviously - which was my point about "realistic" lottery chance.

You just know some smart ass was going to come along and say "well, technically if they miss the playoffs, they are in the lottery"

:hocky::thumbsu:

Well, I agree with that, obviously - which was my point about "realistic" lottery chance.

You just know some smart ass was going to come along and say "well, technically if they miss the playoffs, they are in the lottery"

:hocky::thumbsu:

technically if they miss the playoffs... oh wait, sorry!

Archived