Game #4 - Hawks at Flyers - Oct 14 2015 - 8:00 (Timonen night)

brelic

Flyers face off against the reigning Stanley Cup champs!

And it's Kimmo Timonen retirement night! What a class act - a 10th round draft pick who ended up playing 16 NHL seasons. Here's a nice article looking back on his career:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=783008&navid=DL|PHI|home

Here's Meltzer's writeup: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-101415-vs-CHI/45/71676

Projected lineups (Subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Brayden Schenn - 14 Sean Couturier - 89 Sam Gagner
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
15 Michael Del Zotto - 23 Brandon Manning
82 Evgeny Medvedev - 3 Radko Gudas

30 Michal Neuvirth
[35 Steve Mason]

Scratches: R.J. Umberger (upper body, day-to-day), Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Luke Schenn (healthy).

BLACKHAWKS

28 Ryan Garbutt - 19 Jonathan Toews - 81 Marian Hossa
72 Artemi Panarin - 15 Artem Anisimov - 88 Patrick Kane
29 Bryan Bickell - 86 Teuvo Teräväinen - 14 Viktor Tikhonov
11 Andrew Desjardins - 16 Marcus Krüger - 65 Andrew Shaw

2 Duncan Keith - 4 Niklas Hjalmarsson
43 Viktor Svedberg - 7 Brent Seabrook
57 Trevor van Riemsdyk - 6 Trevor Daley

50 Corey Crawford
[33 Scott Darling] 

Scratches: David Rundblad (healthy), Kyle Baun (healthy), Michal Roszival (IR, ankle).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the Hawks defense against their cap space truly hits it home at how bad P.H. was at being a General Manager. However, that is a officially the dead horse comment. 

I predict a score of 2-3 in OT in favor of the Flyers. 

I  think chicago is vulnerable this year.  There's been a lot of turnover, lots of new faces.  I don't know that there is a "chicago way" like there is with the red wings or the cardinals in baseball.  i think they're top heavy with 2 lines worth of questions.

if the flyers are to beat them now is the time, 

Is this 8pm for the actual game or 8pm for the ceremonies to start? If it is 8pm for the ceremonies, game probably wouldnt start until 9ish.

Game time is listed as 8pm. It's the NHL game of the week. 

Not sure if the ceremony will be televised.

you think Simmer actually gets more than 13 minutes tonight?  

Depends on whether or not the Flyers can stay out of the box.

But honestly, he hasn't played like he deserves more. At even strength, he's very vanilla.

Depends on whether or not the Flyers can stay out of the box.

But honestly, he hasn't played like he deserves more. At even strength, he's very vanilla.

agreed... other than the other night when he went ballistic I have not really noticed him much.   One of my favorite players but certainly needs to step up his game.  Also hope to see Gagner keep up the good play.   

You know, for all the kvetching about our defense, our forward lines really suck.

There is some talent there, but they have yet to come together in any sort of cohesive line combinations. Except perhaps the fourth line (and that's nothing to write home about)

They also lack some pretty significant pieces.

Hockeyscap has them with eleven guys who qualify for the center position.

Howdy:

I am glad we're starting the season with some toughies. It will give us a good read on our squad and may actually help define the Hakstol era sooner than later.  If Neuvirth stands on head (presuming he starts) or we get a good performance out of Mase...or a surprise LaBarberra....we can win.  But I agree with others in this thread that the forwards don't seem to present a kind of "attack" model that a San Jose or Columbus can muster.  There is still to much dump and chase and that won't cut it.  Me thinks this year's O and B will have to win squeakers rather than overwhelm an opponent.  Just one dude's take.

Best,

Howie

agreed... other than the other night when he went ballistic I have not really noticed him much.   One of my favorite players but certainly needs to step up his game.  Also hope to see Gagner keep up the good play.   

Yeah, I really hope Gagner can provide some secondary scoring punch. Outside of the first line, it's either he or BSchenn.

Broad Street is reporting that Simmer is playing with Coots and Schenn instead of Gagner... which I agree is confusing.

Charlie things it's so they can match Coots' line against Toews and Gagner isn't good defensively, but is Wayne that much better?  Wouldn't you shift Read back to Coots' wing if that's what you were after?  Seems like they want to throw weight around a little more.

Either way, it echoes of a Berube tactic to finally bring Gagner up, give him a chance, see him have a great game, then demote him and act surprised if he doesn't produce.

half of that hasn't happened yet so i'll shut up about it.

I loved Simmer with Coots last year and Schenn with Coots seems like it needs to stay put as it just seems to work.  So I shouldn't be complaining.  Just not much else to talk about right now. 

On second thought, I'm not tempted to ponder aloud a bit more, just to piss off Murray who apparently comes here to not read random thoughts of other fans.

no, not at all... I just think it is funny how Hak was the savior in your eyes when he signed and now you think he is the 2nd coming of Berube. It is all there... just look through your old posts King

if you're "not tempted to ponder aloud" anymore then why even respond?

no, not at all... I just think it is funny how Hak was the savior in your eyes when he signed and now you think he is the 2nd coming of Berube. It is all there... just look through your old posts King

if you're "not tempted to ponder aloud" anymore then why even respond?

It was those of you who posted quotes from Guroux and Berube saying "nothing's changed" that prompted that 2nd coming response. But that response as is this one, is more of a discussion and debate. A rhetorical whining rather than an assumption.

Obviously I do still have to trust that Hakstol has stuff in mind and so far in 2 of 3 games s

We've seen a ton more than we saw preseason.

Even in the post that this is all responding to I argue both sides. I'm discussing.

Let's start over Murray. Gagner had a good game. He's playing with Laughton now so Simmer can play with Coots and Schenn. Discuss...

It was those of you who posted quotes from Guroux and Berube saying "nothing's changed" that prompted that 2nd coming response. But that response as is this one, is more of a discussion and debate. A rhetorical whining rather than an assumption.

Obviously I do still have to trust that Hakstol has stuff in mind and so far in 2 of 3 games s

We've seen a ton more than we saw preseason.

Even in the post that this is all responding to I argue both sides. I'm discussing.

Let's start over Murray. Gagner had a good game. He's playing with Laughton now so Simmer can play with Coots and Schenn. Discuss...

Gagner absolutely played a great game and should be given another shot on that line.  The only thing (benefit of a doubt) is that maybe Simmonds put in the extra work during practice to warrant more minutes.  Simmonds is a key cog to this Team and due to the constant PK he has not had limited minutes.  Or, maybe Hak likes the match-up better since we have the last line change...

Dont disagree w/ Gagner not getting the chance but I will say I dont view it as Bereube-esque.   Berube would have benched Gagner again and never said a word about it.   

The only thing (benefit of a doubt) is that maybe Simmonds put in the extra work during practice to warrant more minutes.

At the end of the day, Simmonds' goal production is double that of Gagner, and we need goals. It makes sense to put Simmonds in a position to maximize that goal scoring, even if Gagner played really well on that line.

Of course, half of Simmonds' goals are from the PP (14 of 28), while Gagner scored 6 of 15 on the PP.

At the end of the day, Simmonds' goal production is double that of Gagner, and we need goals. It makes sense to put Simmonds in a position to maximize that goal scoring, even if Gagner played really well on that line.

Of course, half of Simmonds' goals are from the PP (14 of 28), while Gagner scored 6 of 15 on the PP.

agreed... don't get me wrong I really was impressed by what Gagner brought.   There are a number of factors that could be the influence to the Hak making the switch.  This Team will not be successful limiting Simmers minutes.   Gagner is still in the lineup and failed to make it on the opening roster.   I just dont think one game should guarantee anything for Gagner.  He was good and i hope he continues it no matter where he is in the lineup.  

The real decision is when RJ is healthy... If Gagner is playing well someone will have to take a seat. 

Archived