She said no

elmatus

We live in ultra sensitive times where you have to be careful what you say at all times. I'm sorry if I'm just a little tired of it and I don't express the appropriate amount of outrage anytime someone's feelings might get hurt.

Preach brother Adam!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We live in ultra sensitive times where you have to be careful what you say at all times.  I'm sorry if I'm just a little tired of it and I don't express the appropriate amount of outrage anytime someone's feelings might get hurt.  You're never going to convince me that this is even in the same ball park as racism.  I see the point that you are trying to make, but I just don't agree with it.  We are way too far apart on this point to find common ground it appears.  

You are not wrong about this... these are overly PC times and it can really be annoying. But, I think we should also not forget that there are still legitimate times for being PC... and that's just out of respect and decency for others. I'm not saying that this is really that serious of a topic. I mean... this is pretty low level stuff, but it's an interesting conversation, especially in regards to Philly fans. 

We all know we get a bad rap around ... well, around the world probably. And maybe, just maybe, it's partly because of 'our' inclination to 'go there'. That does seem to be fairly unique to the Philly sports fan... in that, there really is NOTHING out of bounds. And.. well, maybe there should be some. Again, just my opinions and I don't expect you or anyone else to come along. I just like to promote peace and harmony... I guess I'm kinda hippy that way.

For some reason.. this particular chant irked me and gave me cognitive dissonance. I love Philly fans and love the passion, but when we cross the line of human decency... my inclination is to distance myself. The man is innocent until proven guilty and I just can't get behind a mob mentality of roasting him while he's at work. 

You are not wrong about this... these are overly PC times and it can really be annoying. But, I think we should also not forget that there are still legitimate times for being PC... and that's just out of respect and decency for others. I'm not saying that this is really that serious of a topic. I mean... this is pretty low level stuff, but it's an interesting conversation, especially in regards to Philly fans. 

We all know we get a bad rap around ... well, around the world probably. And maybe, just maybe, it's partly because of 'our' inclination to 'go there'. That does seem to be fairly unique to the Philly sports fan... in that, there really is NOTHING out of bounds. And.. well, maybe there should be some. Again, just my opinions and I don't expect you or anyone else to come along. I just like to promote peace and harmony... I guess I'm kinda hippy that way.

For some reason.. this particular chant irked me and gave me cognitive dissonance. I love Philly fans and love the passion, but when we cross the line of human decency... my inclination is to distance myself. The man is innocent until proven guilty and I just can't get behind a mob mentality of roasting him while he's at work. 

Hey Bak,

Good post.  I can buy into you position much more than trying to compare it to racism.  I do see your POV on the issue and I can understand where some might not be on board with the chant.  I agree that it pushes the boundaries and probably crosses over the line a bit, but my tolerance for such things is pretty big.  Maybe it's because I have grown up a Philly fan and we are known for crossing the line at times.  I'm glad that you acknowledge that this is low level stuff, which is why I was kinda shocked at some of the outrage over it, which is why I offered my opinion of not seeing it as a big deal.  I may not 100% agree with you on this chant in particular, but I can certainly agree with some of the general points that you made.

Hey Bak,

Good post.  I can buy into you position much more than trying to compare it to racism.  I do see your POV on the issue and I can understand where some might not be on board with the chant.  I agree that it pushes the boundaries and probably crosses over the line a bit, but my tolerance for such things is pretty big.  Maybe it's because I have grown up a Philly fan and we are known for crossing the line at times.  I'm glad that you acknowledge that this is low level stuff, which is why I was kinda shocked at some of the outrage over it, which is why I offered my opinion of not seeing it as a big deal.  I may not 100% agree with you on this chant in particular, but I can certainly agree with some of the general points that you made.

I'm out of positive votes for the day or I'd 'agree with this'. now THERE's something to get outraged about. Positive vote rationing!!?? Oh the humanity!

I'm out of positive votes for the day or I'd 'agree with this'. now THERE's something to get outraged about. Positive vote rationing!!?? Oh the humanity!

Yes, this is something we can all band together to combat

The limit was 10 and is now 25 per 24 hours.  If you want up to 50 choose to become a support member ;).

As I said to Spike, you won't convince me calling someone the N word and making light of a possible crime that someone committed are even close.  If the evidence shows that he didn't do it, then he will be exonerated and guess what, some people will continue to rag on him about it because they know it probably pisses him off.  

Agree to disagree.  I just feel that the argument could easily be made that saying something racist is a just as bad if not worse than calling someone a rapist...especially if the target of the "rapist" chant isn't one.  Unfortunately, some 18,000 fans didn't seem to think it was worth waiting to see if he was exonerated.  My guess is it wouldn't have mattered even if he had been.

It's a Flyers forum, no one probably thought it would matter lol.

My guess is it wouldn't have mattered even if he had been.

Flyers fans weren't the first and almost certainly won't be the last to note the unsubstantiated accusations against Mr. Kane - regardless of their veracity.

Nor is he the first to receive such treatment. Nor will he be the last.

As I said in The Other Thread, he'll be hearing about this for the rest of his life, regardless of how it turns out.

I'm personally waiting for Kane to sign on as a spokesperson for Uber. :hocky:

Whether Kane did it or not (and I don't think he did...this time) he's still scum. He's vulnerable right now and maybe, just maybe that chant helped contribute to a bad game from him...in other words, do it every single time he comes to town. The fact that he was a hated London Knight, and destroyed my Spits for years and years has nothing to do with this post.....lol.

Whether Kane did it or not (and I don't think he did...this time) he's still scum. He's vulnerable right now and maybe, just maybe that chant helped contribute to a bad game from him...in other words, do it every single time he comes to town. The fact that he was a hated London Knight, and destroyed my Spits for years and years has nothing to do with this post.....lol.

HEY!!! STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!!!! He's on my fantasy team!!! I need the points!

Whether Kane did it or not (and I don't think he did...this time) he's still scum.

At the end of the day, I think that's what this is all about. He may or may have done it. But his character has been established over the years as one of a douchebag. Fans like to rag on douchebags.

The only person responsible for that is Kane. 

Archived