She said no

elmatus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, The crowd was into the whole game last night.  Kane also got the "Cindy" boo everytime he touched the puck.  It was quite obvious he didn't have his best game last night. 

I'm really against this type of 'fan activity'. I think it's extremely juvenile and doesn't really reflect well on the city tbh. He's not even been charged with a crime at this point. So you could pretty much just say about anything in a chant and it would make as much sense. 

It's a game, and I'd prefer if fans left the player's personal lives out of it. I think it shows a certain lack of class on the part of the fans that partook and I really wish Flyer's fans would rise above this type of low-brow ribbing. It really makes me less want to associate with the term 'Flyer's Fan'.... sadly. 

I just picked this up off the wire. I have a feeling he's going to have to get used to this for a while.

Flyers fans chant 'she said no' at Patrick Kane during game

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/10/15/flyers-fans-chant-she-said-no-at-patrick-kane-during-game/

Yeah, not sure how I feel about this.  It's way too complicated to get into the discussion of whether he did anything wrong or not, and I'm a big believer in the idea of not trying people in the court of public opinion or social media.

That said, the further issue for me is that I'm pretty sure our fans weren't spontaneously making a "take back the night" style stand against sexual abuse as much as they were trying to use the potential sexual assault of a young woman as a tool to ridicule an opposing player.

Smacks of the Penguins Bear costumes ragging on Bryz (as was discussed yesterday).  Just not very classy IMHO. 

I'd rather see the fans and the Flyers Wives doing something real for the issue and use some phrase that group comes up with to taunt Kane.  At least then someone's actually doing something to suggest they believe sexual assault is wrong.

That said, the further issue for me is that I'm pretty sure our fans weren't spontaneously making a "take back the night" style stand against sexual abuse as much as they were trying to use the potential sexual assault of a young woman as a tool to ridicule an opposing player.

Yeah, I agree. It seems shameful to me to use a topic as serious as sexual assault to try and get a player off their game, which may very well be what many of the chanters were trying to do.

That said, as far as the incident itself goes, I have a hard time buying the whole "nothing has been proven" line. That line of reasoning is hugely overused in cases of sexual abuse. That's probably a conversation for another place though. :P

Poulin20 and I attended the game.  While we refrained from joining in on the chants due to the evidence that seems to be pointing to him being set up, I didn't have a problem with it. Philly fans are tough and they don't have a problem "going there" to get under an opposing players skin.  If he is being set up, the evidence will present itself and no charges will be filed.  If it is proven that he did it, then he deserves everything he gets.  The fans do not have the burden of innocent until proven guilty.  That is only for a judge or jury.  

Yeah, I agree. It seems shameful to me to use a topic as serious as sexual assault to try and get a player off their game, which may very well be what many of the chanters were trying to do.

That said, as far as the incident itself goes, I have a hard time buying the whole "nothing has been proven" line. That line of reasoning is hugely overused in cases of sexual abuse. That's probably a conversation for another place though. :P

Another aspect to this... disclaimer: I don't have kids. But, there's children at these games and I'd imagine it's a very uncomfortable conversation to have with a young child. It's just my personal opinion that the fans should have respect for the game, the people around them and the players personal privacy. I think that that particular chant is against those 3 things.  

For my part, I use it in this case because,

• There is sufficient belief to suggest that evidence has been cooked up from the side of the accuser, to the extent that her attorney quit the case because his professional ethics couldn't allow him to remain a part of things.
  • Because nothing has been proven. What's hard to buy about that? I would get it if Kane accepted a plea to a lesser charge, because with respect to a more serious charge which hadn't been tried, "nothing has been proven" would be pretty weak indeed. But, that's not the case here.

Another aspect to this... disclaimer: I don't have kids. But, there's children at these games and I'd imagine it's a very uncomfortable conversation to have with a young child. It's just my personal opinion that the fans should have respect for the game, the people around them and the players personal privacy. I think that that particular chant is against those 3 things.

My first game was when I was 10. 

I heard a great many things (especially in line for the men's room in the old Spectrum) that required awkward conversations and no opposing player was being accused of sexual assault. 

There was no way I was asking my dad about any of them. 

Yeah, not sure how I feel about this. It's way too complicated to get into the discussion of whether he did anything wrong or not, and I'm a big believer in the idea of not trying people in the court of public opinion or social media.

Smacks of the Penguins Bear costumes ragging on Bryz (as was discussed yesterday). Just not very classy IMHO.

I'd rather see the fans and the Flyers Wives doing something real for the issue and use some phrase that group comes up with to taunt Kane. At least then someone's actually doing something to suggest they believe sexual assault is wrong.

Well, we are here talking about it. That's a step towards the direction of good. Raise more awareness and maybe someone will do something about it.

Well, we are here talking about it. That's a step towards the direction of good. Raise more awareness and maybe someone will do something about it.

It's a complicated discussion. 

Least I can say that the Flyers Fans were still better behaved than the Blue Jays fans last night.

Backinenkimwa or whatever you call yourself, your attempt at being noble and righteous and sensitive to children is nice, but you have a death machine as your profile picture. Kinda wrecks where you're trying to go with this. And in case any of you have forgotten, this alleged sex assault isn't the first time P Kane has behaved like a spoiled little brat piece of s*&t.

Backinenkimwa or whatever you call yourself, your attempt at being noble and righteous and sensitive to children is nice, but you have a death machine as your profile picture. Kinda wrecks where you're trying to go with this. And in case any of you have forgotten, this alleged sex assault isn't the first time P Kane has behaved like a spoiled little brat piece of s*&t.

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but I always took his avatar to be an ironic take on gun violence, what with the barrel pointing back at the person pulling the trigger. But, I've been wrong before.

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but I always took his avatar to be an ironic take on gun violence, what with the barrel pointing back at the person pulling the trigger. But, I've been wrong before.

I thought it was a metaphor for Homer's stint as GM???

My first reaction when I heard this was "I love my people". I wasn't there but I completely support such boorish behavior. I don't know if he did it, I hope he didn't, but this is hardly the most offensive chant ever unleashed for the sole purpose of getting inside an opposing player's head. And quite frankly the guy has shown himself publicly on numerous documented occasions to be a misogynistic drunken douchebag, so no he doesn't the benefit of the doubt

And then we have the obligatory plea to think about the children.....I mean come on, how many "children" would even know what was being said or what or what it meant. And it's highly doubtful that was the most offensive thing any youngster heard last night or would have heard on any given night at a pro sporting event. I'm more uncomfortable with my 8 year old and the SUCKS after each name of the opposing team starting lineup is read than I am with this. This is why bringing your child anyplace where large amounts of alcohol are being consumed is always a judgement call.

In keeping this thread on topic ----

Last nights chant basically was only chanted when the Hawks had a powerplay.  If Kane touched the puck there was boo...s.  And ironically,  the more Neuvirth shut down the Hawks, including the 5 on 3 the chants got louder.  We also chanted "Lets go Flyers" after every PK.  

Philly fans have said chants for various purposes.  Last fall we were booing the Ice guys and chanting "Bring them back"   After two home games of booing the Ice Girls were back.

Poulin20 and I attended the game.  While we refrained from joining in on the chants due to the evidence that seems to be pointing to him being set up, I didn't have a problem with it. Philly fans are tough and they don't have a problem "going there" to get under an opposing players skin.  If he is being set up, the evidence will present itself and no charges will be filed.  If it is proven that he did it, then he deserves everything he gets.  The fans do not have the burden of innocent until proven guilty.  That is only for a judge or jury.  

Hold on a second. Can opposing fans "go there" and chant the N word every time Simmonds touches the puck just to get under his skin? Don't tell me that's different. It is NOT. Neither actually hurts more than just words, but they are both offensive.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with fans saying whatever they want about a player's play. If a goalie lets in a goal, if you want to chant that he's a sieve, I'm all for that kind of taunting. My purchase of a ticket gives me a right to say anything I want about a player's play.

But there is a line to be drawn, particularly when there is ONLY accusation and no evidence like in this case, especially when it is not about their play. I firmly disagree with the "it's Philly" defense here. Sorry. Philly can be wrong too, and they were wrong here.

Archived