What about Bob? (or why do the Jackets suck)

yave1964

A promising finish to last season and an offseason that created a buzz among Jacket fans (all seven or eight of them) is threatened to derail with a pathetic start.s-l225.jpg Studly young Ryan Johansen has turned into a future star with a ton of promise and has been surrounded by a ton of young talented forwards and then the Jackets pulled off a trade acquiring Brandon Saad from the cash strapped Hawks. Not a single publication that I have read has the Jackets missing the playoffs. 

Apparently nobody told their defense. Or goalie.

s-l225.jpgThrough the first four games (all losses) the Jackets in spite of out shooting their opponents by 6 shots a game have been outscored 20-9 and bobrovsky has a goals against of 5.05 bearing the brunt of the ire of the fans with his pathetic .830 save percentage. He is not alone in his ineptness, this to me is the stat of the year through the first four games:

THROUGH FOUR GAMES THE JACKETS HAVE ZERO, REPEAT ZERO PLUS PLAYERS.

Jared Boll is the only regular who is even, and his shifts occur only when the team needs a spark. Every other player is a minus. Some spectacularly so.

The defense, or arson squad as they are coming to be known, made up of Johnson, Savard, Murray, Prout, Tyutin and Connauten have 24 games between them, and have a minus 21 in that span, with zero goals and 4 assists. Lets look at that over a full season, of one player:

82 games

0 goals

15 assists

MINUS 68

Absolutely wretched.

Saad has been as good as advertised with 3 goals, Johansen has five points. Nobody else stands out.

To fix this team it must start with the defense. Murray was the great hope, healthy and understanding the game now the hope was he would eat big minutes and develop, Savard had an under the radar season last year and tehy were hoping he would inprove. Both seem out of sorts and have regressed. Jack Johnson has been hopeless with zero points and a minus 4.

Bob must play better even with these guys in front of him, it is a chicken and the egg question, are Bob's stats so horrible because of the indefensible defense or is it the other way around? In truth it is a little bit of both and a lot of guys need to look in the mirror and get it together soon or a season that held so much promise may go up in smoke.

@Podein25

It is a wonder to me, Savard, Johnson are both good puck movers but Tyutin and Connauten are doing horrible and so the other guys have to stay back. Murray looks absolutely lost, the former 2nd pick in the draft is looking like an injury prone bust. Not sure what the answer is. Lots of talent but they do not mesh.

@yave1964

Coaching?

I don't know, I think Richards has done a great job with the team, I think it is a case of mismatched talent, the defensive d-men are mediocre at that particular skill, and the puck movers, like Johnson and Savard lack defensively too. Overrated the talent I believe. The forwards are young and deep and hungry but the defense is plain awful. Bobrovsky looked brilliant several years ago and has slid off the cracker a little more every year since. They may be this years Dallas Stars, finishing in the top three in scoring and in goals against if they do not right the ship.

When a goalie who is a top goalie says he has no confidence right now, that is not good at all. I am happy that the Jackets coaches decided to go with Bobrovsky tonight because they are playing the Leafs and if any goalie can breakout of a major funk it would be against the Leafs. :)

When a goalie who is a top goalie says he has no confidence right now, that is not good at all. I am happy that the Jackets coaches decided to go with Bobrovsky tonight because they are playing the Leafs and if any goalie can breakout of a major funk it would be against the Leafs. :)

I'm always down for Leaf bashing.

I'm always down for Leaf bashing.

I actually feel a little bad for them because they're one of the original 6 teams and they have won 13 Stanley Cups so that franchise is some kind of legacy. I also feel bad for the fans who usually are faithful to their team, except for the whole throwing their jerseys on the ice. That is sad.

The Jackets have a gap problem and their forwards aren't coming back.

Their defense is not paired well and that's exacerbating the problem with the forwards.

And Bob is a rebound machine. He should get a job as a ball return at a bowling alley. And, of course, that is causing problems for the currently wobbly defense.

This is coaching. Look at his record in October and November his whole stay there. He just doesn't have them ready out of camp. They'll come around because the talent is there, but they'll fight for a playoff spot rather than challenging for the division (which is where they should be).

Bobrovsky even against the Leafs get smashed and allowed 5 of the 6 goals on the night for the Leafs. Now may be the time for the Blue Jackets to start and shake things up and sit Bobrovsky for a few games.

Didn't help that Johnson and Savard were -4 on the night either.

Savard is minus 7 on the week with 1 assist and is killing me in my Yahoo work league.(And not helping me in NAHANA either)

Didn't help that Johnson and Savard were -4 on the night either.

Savard is minus 7 on the week with 1 assist and is killing me in my Yahoo work league.(And not helping me in NAHANA either)

The Blue Jackets have to be the most disappointing team early in the season. Many sportscasters and hockey followers predicted them to continue on their success from last year.

The Blue Jackets have to be the most disappointing team early in the season. Many sportscasters and hockey followers predicted them to continue on their success from last year.

They had success last year?

Last year, I attributed their bad start to so many injuries and Johansen not signing right away. but this year is inexcusable. They improved all over.

Last year, I attributed their bad start to so many injuries and Johansen not signing right away. but this year is inexcusable. They improved all over.

Well yes, success for the Blue Jackets. Winning over 40 games the past three years showed promise for a team just a year before those 3 years only won 29 games and I am not counting the shortened season. The team was showing promise.

Yes last year injuries derailed the club right off then when healthy they were among the top two or three teams in the second half of the year raising hopes for this year. Throw in Saad, they became the darlings of fans going into this year.

No excuse this year. I have liked Richards as a coach but you are tight, they do not look ready, they seem to think that throwing their sweater on the ice will make people tremble and the game would be over before it began. Not so fast tho, teams like the Leafs, much less talent but working their tails off simply embarrassed the Jackets last night. Gut check time must occur.

I watched about half the Leafs/Jackets game and the number of bad passes by Jackets' players was incredible. It was bizarre how badly the team executed the fundamentals; they were all over the place. Guys would rush the puck and totally disregard their line mates - this happened time and time again.

I can't imagine what's going so wrong in Columbus but whatever it is it's serious. When you got guys like Dubi and Saad passing to the wrong team - more than once - and Bob with a 5+ GAA something drastic needs to change.

And Bob is a rebound machine. He should get a job as a ball return at a bowling alley. And, of course, that is causing problems for the currently wobbly defense.

i remember all the gnashing of teeth when Bob was traded and how poorly his career was managed when he was here, however...

I have always thought the same about his rebound control, and also that his puck handling skills were not NHL caliber.

He's a stud athlete, but i wasn't totally sold on him being "the guy". I guess the Flyers" brain trust" at the time felt similarly.  it took a vezina trophy and a couple of years but looks like the concerns were valid.

McElhinney played in last nights game and wasn't great allowing 3 goals in a 4-1 defeat, but he was somewhat better the Bobrovsky who in a few games has completely fallen apart and says right now he says he has no confidence in himself. Now I know McElhinney is nothing more than a backup goalie and the Blue Jackets should go right back to Bobrovsky in their next game. The problem isn't just in Sergei Bobrovsky. The Blue Jackets need to change lines and their approach in their game. They really need to shake things up. If meaning shaking things up is changing the lines or even maybe sending some players down to the minors and bringing up a few fresh players. They really need some drastic moves because I feel the loss of confidence is not only of "The Bob" but of the whole Blue Jackets team right now.

Murray looks absolutely lost, the former 2nd pick in the draft is looking like an injury prone bust.

He does look lost, but oddly enough, he is running the top pp....I'm really starting to wonder if they are trying to up his confidence and point totals before attempting to trade him in a package deal.

• 3 months later...

I remember last year (when I had season tickets) I was told that the CBJ was going to be a play-off contender in the 2015-2016 year.  The CBJ marketing group was really pushing this point in order for me to renew my season ticket program.  I saw how the team was playing last year and knew that unless some serious big changes were done, CBJ was going nowhere again.  Needless to say, I did not renew my season tickets for this year.  Now, this year, it got even worse.  Bringing in Tort was a huge mistake.  I knew this from day one.  I don't know how that deal happened.  But, some bigwigs really got it wrong.  I don't know what's going on with the team now.   I don't even think the players know what's going on.  Some of the team players are sloppy and look like rookies, making rookie mistakes.  Why do some players go after the puck instead of taking out the opposite team's player who has the puck?  Bob's goaltender days are over, if you ask me.  He has had way too many injuries, and not playing like a good goalie should.  Bob needs to be traded right away.  Tort needs to be let go.  Maybe then we'll get out of being the last place team in the DIVISION!   Nuff said!

8 hours ago, FeelingLetDown said:

I remember last year (when I had season tickets) I was told that the CBJ was going to be a play-off contender in the 2015-2016 year.  The CBJ marketing group was really pushing this point in order for me to renew my season ticket program.  I saw how the team was playing last year and knew that unless some serious big changes were done, CBJ was going nowhere again.  Needless to say, I did not renew my season tickets for this year.  Now, this year, it got even worse.  Bringing in Tort was a huge mistake.  I knew this from day one.  I don't know how that deal happened.  But, some bigwigs really got it wrong.  I don't know what's going on with the team now.   I don't even think the players know what's going on.  Some of the team players are sloppy and look like rookies, making rookie mistakes.  Why do some players go after the puck instead of taking out the opposite team's player who has the puck?  Bob's goaltender days are over, if you ask me.  He has had way too many injuries, and not playing like a good goalie should.  Bob needs to be traded right away.  Tort needs to be let go.  Maybe then we'll get out of being the last place team in the DIVISION!   Nuff said!

I tend to agree. They won while Tortzs was injured and looked motivated lol

Archived