Please stop the madness

Jmdodgesrt4

Here's the thing with patience: I'M NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER!!!

I don't mind "patience" - and I've advocated against "win now" more times than I can remember - but I am sick and tired of the ownership and management of all the Philadelphia sports franchises.

Snider says this is a playoff team (insert Jim Mora quote here and please, Ed, tell me you brought enough of whatever you're on for everyone)
Lurie says they are the gold standard (and the Eagles are in the same sentence with the Arizona Cardinals and Detroit Lions when it comes to championships)

The Phillies molded a World Series team into the worst team in the league in a matter of a few years (and have precious little "down on the farm" to indicate they will move in a different direction any time soon).

And I am by reliable sources that "The Sixers" are a thing and still exist (I have wonderful memories of 1983)

NONE of them are even CLOSE to a championship.

None. Of. Them.

As you might tell from above, I don't even give a rat's ass about the Sixers anymore. Not even a little bit. The NBA could end tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice. In fact, please do. And take Lamar Odom with you.*

But if the rest expect us to care about what happens to these franchises and support them with our wallets, money, money, wallets, money, time and heart (in that order) then don't expect us to sit around singing "Kumbaya" as they wallow in mediocrity.

I don't want to hear that a $9 Million, underachieving player "didn't have his legs" and the rest of the team was "sluggish" because they had too much time off.

Don't. Wanna. Hearit.

You're being paid at the very least hundreds of thousands - if not MILLIONS - of dollars and you're "sluggish" because you had too much time off?

Cry me a river and call the waaaaahmbulance boat.

* oh, yeah! I said it! :hocky:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to hear that a $9 Million, underachieving player "didn't have his legs" and the rest of the team was "sluggish" because they had too much time off.

then you might as well quit watching the NHL because it happens all the time after shorter breaks than 5 days. It's the nature of the beast. Team sports are so much about chemistry that it's easy to see how quickly it can come and go.

For what it's worth I didn't hear anyone saying the Flyers were "sluggish" or didn't have their legs; if I did I misspoke. To me they had plenty of jump they just weren't in-sync. They looked like a pick-up team for 30 minutes. But imagine if the Flyers met Dallas 2 nights after whipping Chicago 3-0; safe to say the 1st and 2nd would've looked quite a bit different.

Who can explain chemistry, confidence, momentum, etc.? Probably nobody can say precisely what it is but everyone acknowledges those intangibles are part of what keeps a team on a winning roll. In the Flyers case their confidence and identity are obviously fragile because they're rebuilding under a new coach. Being out-of-sync, esp after a layoff is completely predictable.

then you might as well quit watching the NHL because it happens all the time after shorter breaks than 5 days. It's the nature of the beast. Team sports are so much about chemistry that it's easy to see how quickly it can come and go.

For what it's worth I didn't hear anyone saying the Flyers were "sluggish" or didn't have their legs; if I did I misspoke. To me they had plenty of jump they just weren't in-sync. They looked like a pick-up team for 30 minutes. But imagine if the Flyers met Dallas 2 nights after whipping Chicago 3-0; safe to say the 1st and 2nd would've looked quite a bit different.

Who can explain chemistry, confidence, momentum, etc.? Probably nobody can say precisely what it is but everyone acknowledges those intangibles are part of what keeps a team on a winning roll. In the Flyers case their confidence and identity are obviously fragile because they're rebuilding under a new coach. Being out-of-sync, esp after a layoff is completely predictable.

Or, they could be multimillion dollar professionals and keep their legs while on break.

Listen, I know the nature of the beast. And if this was just one game at the start of the season, then - fine.

But I'm not buying into the whole "we shouldn't care if they play like crap - they had time off before the game".

That's more of an excuse than a reason at this point.

And if you allow that sort of thinking, you get the results we saw.

Yes, they held Dallas to two goals. That means the game was there for the taking.

And they left it on the table.

In the meantime, we'll just write off February 2 against the Habs.

That's four points.

How many more do we need to just write off as "bad scheduling luck"? How long a layoff does it take before we can expect them to not be prepared to take the ice? Two? Three?

Because if it's three they've got real trouble.

For what it's worth I didn't hear anyone saying the Flyers were "sluggish" or didn't have their legs

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/seguin-benn-lead-stars-2-1-win-over-023750131--nhl.html

''It took us some time to find our energy,'' Flyers coach Dave Hakstol said. ''We had our moments, our spurts, but they had sustained pushes before we got going in the third. The schedule is what it is. We just couldn't find our legs early on.''

Or, they could be multimillion dollar professionals and keep their legs while on break.

it isn't about not keeping their legs, of course.  it isn't like they all sit on the couch and eat chips for 5 days, and are suddenly out of shape come game time.  no one is saying that. 

pick a competitive activity you enjoy, though, and then take a break from it.  rec hockey, softball, video games, darts, golf, whatever.  no matter what you do, practice is not at game speed, and that first game back is a readjustment.  people are saying they don't want to hear it, but they can stick theoretical bananas in their ear all they want, it is an actual real thing.  if you don't want to call it an excuse, then just call it a reason.  a reason that a team comes out disjointed and out of sync early in that first game.  it makes sense, it is predictable, and it is tough to overcome.  to deny that is to think these guys are supposed to be automatons who aren't subject to basic human realities.

all teams go through this, in all sports.  really, i thought the example of last year's blackhawks, who went 0-2 in games back after layoffs (against an eventual 8 seed and a non-playoff team, no less), would have put this all to rest.  i don't know why people are continuing this "they have to win, anyway, we don't want excuses" stuff.  it's a remarkably substance-less thing to still lean on.  first games back ARE tough.  nothing i've seen outside of this board has suggested the flyers got run over.  they lost a close game, struggled with timing for a while, and niemi pulled out some impressive saves.  what is it people here expect?

But it's not like they weren't skating.

If we go with the theory there is an excuse for every game, why bother playing?

This team has one playoff round in three years. It's not apples to apples to compare them to a 3 time Cup winner.

They should WANT to be ready for this. They should know that this is a potential letdown game. They should WANT to exceed expectations.

Instead they played right into them.

Where I'm from, that sucks.

It's game 5. Of the season. They came out disjointed after 5 days off. They played ok, but not great, and lost to a solid team that has been on a tear. There is nothing profound here. There is a team that failed to over come an obstacle in game 5 of the season. Not the ideal outcome, but hey, that happens. I hope they suck it up, and move forward in game 6.

If they collapse 8 games in a row and are just a hot mess, then let's talk about long term character and performance of the team. This, though? This was 1 game of 82, and means no more than that. Every team has games like that. Generally a couple dozen, in fact. Maybe lessons learned, but anyway, on to Boston.

I get  it now - what you're saying rad - you're assuming and arguing as if it was a voluntary thing, to come out "flat" and without their finest skating legs. The point I tried to make - and Aziz made better - is that it is involuntary. It just happens, it's human nature and part of team sports. Why is that so hard to fathom? The Flyers didn't want to lose 2 periods to readjusting themselves to game conditions. It's just the way it was. And it's going to happen again.

I don't think they CHOSE to come out flat. I think they DID come out flat. And so did their coach.

I think the EXCUSE that "they had five days off" is WEAK and used by teams that- as was astutely noted - just aren't very good.

The key thing ISN'T that they had five days off.

The key thing is that they just aren't very good.

The EXCUSE is made BECAUSE they just aren't very good.

That bothers me. And won't necessarily change just because they have fewer days off.

So, to use Occam's Razor - the explanation for their play is they aren't very good, NOT "they had too many days off" or "they played a hot team" or anything else.

I know that. It just doesn't make me happy.

Gutsy comeback. Last years team would have folded like a cheap accordion. They all look like they want to play hard for Hak....a very good sign.

Definitely a gritty comeback.

I like all of the arguments posted here and I think that we can agree that the roster is still flawed. Hopefully, it will get sorted out in time but If you take a hard look at our roster, with the exception of G and Voracek, the roster is mostly comprised of role players. We need more skill up front. Konecny would have looked great in O and B, but I don't think that management wanted to burn a year off his ELC in this "rebuilding" year (I definitely think he is ready for the big club).

Additionally, I like the idea of roster flexibility but I think that Flyer management erroneously assumes that if you are a centerman, you can also play wing. It's just not true.

Gutsy comeback. Last years team would have folded like a cheap accordion. They all look like they want to play hard for Hak....a very good sign.

It was also nice to see the "Greatest player in the world" show up and play with passion and desire in the 3rd period.

It was also nice to see the "Greatest player in the world" show up and play with passion and desire in the 3rd period.

What a laser he fired for the GWer damn...

...all because Jake hustled and retrieved the puck along the boards then put a deft pass in G's wheelhouse if there ever was one!!!!

Nice to be on the other end of a brain dead Rinaldo penalty.

I disagree. Now the Flyers have an injured player who may not recover from the hit for most of, if not all, of the year. It may have a bigger negative effect on the team than losing a cement head to suspension.

I disagree. Now the Flyers have an injured player who may not recover from the hit for most of, if not all, of the year. It may have a bigger negative effect on the team than losing a cement head to suspension.

I was in and out of the living room right after the hit....did Cooter leave and not come back....didn't notice that he was gone.

He stayed down for several minutes and then was helped off the ice and didn't return. He is concussed (unprofessional opinion, of course.

Lots of players have lingering effects from concussions long after the symptoms go away. Hopefully, he can recover quickly.

Couturier was caught looking the other way, Zac pretty much blindsided him. It was a dick move totally unnecessary. I love Zac's big open ice hits when they're clean. This was him using his forearms right to Couturier's face and squashing him along the boards for good measure.

I hope he's not concussed. The more we learn about brain injuries the worse the prognosis gets for quick recovery.

He did exactly what i feared he would do once i saw he was traded within the conference, target and hurt a key player i hope they suspend him for 20 games!

Nice to see them win a game that we shouldn't have expected them to win - going on the road on the second half of a B2B against a team that was rested and waiting for them.

That said, it was unfortunate for the Bruins had three days off. It just kills a team to have time off between games.

Or, you know - something.

:ph34r:

Archived