Sergei Gonchar Retires

JagerMeister

Seriously? I know there's some questionable names in the hall...this would just be another.

Questionable?   He was a solid offensive defenseman, but what would an induction be based on??   Was he ever THE defenseman on a team?

1,301 NHL regular season games (13th most in league history for defensemen)

220 goals. (16th all-time)

591 assists (17th all-time)

811 points (16th all-time)

102 power play goals (10th all-time)

141 NHL playoff games (22 goals + 90 assists)

"only 2 defensemen in NHL history have more points that aren't in the hall (Gary Suter and Doug Wilson)". -Pensburgh

1,301 NHL regular season games (13th most in league history for defensemen)

220 goals. (16th all-time)

591 assists (17th all-time)

811 points (16th all-time)

102 power play goals (10th all-time)

141 NHL playoff games (22 goals + 90 assists)

"only 2 defensemen in NHL history have more points that aren't in the hall (Gary Suter and Doug Wilson)". -Pensburgh

Like rad said, you make a good case.  But I don't put Suter or Wilson in the HOF either.  For my money, really good players (Gonchar included) that don't quite make the HOF.

I like Gonchar.  But he has less points  than Wilson in almost 300 more games played.   He has less than Suter in over 150 more games. His PPG is measurably less than either one.  I'm not sure the PPG by itself should be a beat all end all criteria for defensemen, but I don't think his defensive abilities are actually great enough to overcome the PPG thing.

For example, his PPG is less than everyone on the list ahead of him except Chelios and Stevens, and they clearly weren't in for their offense.  

So, I won't b#### and  moan if Gonchar would get in.  I'm just not sure he's a great candidate.

@radoran

@ruxpin

I just see it as a guy who is top 20 in five noteworthy categories and there are 77 defensemen in there, so plenty of defensemen in with lesser numbers.

Sure, but a lot of those guys didn't play in a league that would allow bigger numbers. And others are in because of actually playing "defense" instead of putting up "numbers" :)

I'm not saying "no" - I'm just saying "probably not"

Sure, but a lot of those guys didn't play in a league that would allow bigger numbers. And others are in because of actually playing "defense" instead of putting up "numbers" :)

I'm not saying "no" - I'm just saying "probably not"

Actually, according to some of those articles anyway, only a few are in because they played defense more than offense... I.e. Chelios and Stevens.

But I agree he's a fringe guy.

Like rad said, you make a good case.  But I don't put Suter or Wilson in the HOF either.  For my money, really good players (Gonchar included) that don't quite make the HOF.

I like Gonchar.  But he has less points  than Wilson in almost 300 more games played.   He has less than Suter in over 150 more games. His PPG is measurably less than either one.  I'm not sure the PPG by itself should be a beat all end all criteria for defensemen, but I don't think his defensive abilities are actually great enough to overcome the PPG thing.

For example, his PPG is less than everyone on the list ahead of him except Chelios and Stevens, and they clearly weren't in for their offense.  

So, I won't b#### and  moan if Gonchar would get in.  I'm just not sure he's a great candidate.

Sergei Gonchar's career begun in a low scoring era, lets not forget that. Wilson and suter played throughout the 80s and as we all know, was a considerably higher scoring era than any other.

At least Wilson was "the man" on his team. If Gary Suter gets in, that is a shame, ditto for Gonchar. A lot of his stats were a result of the talent around him....he was not very creative and didn't get a ton of primary assists.

At least Wilson was "the man" on his team. If Gary Suter gets in, that is a shame, ditto for Gonchar. A lot of his stats were a result of the talent around him....he was not very creative and didn't get a ton of primary assists.

Strongly disagree with "wasn't really creative"... Few defensemen could roam and create problems from the blue line like Gonchar did. Fringe guy yes, but I think he was a fairly special talent back there. I'm glad the Pens have him coaching our young defensemen on exactly that skill set.

Archived