Game #15 - Avalanche at Flyers - Nov 10 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

This team is **** and the fans now have to accept it that's the sad part. Or at least around here one has to. If not you'd be labeled as a short sighted Holmgren lover, or one who doesn't see Hextall's vision (whatever that is), or one who just doesn't get the cap. 

I am sorry, but I am sick of excuses, they have been a bad or bubble team for how long now? I am sick of saying at least the consolation prize is a high pick that is xx years from seeing any pro-level ice time. 

I know they are not the elite of the East or even the a marginal team in the Metro, but they need to play with a little pride. I am seriously questioning if Hextall even knows what he is doing. Umberger has been a disaster, Voracek got his pay day way too soon. There hasn't been any and I mean any attempt to improve this roster other than through the draft. Seriously what is Hextall's crowning achievement thus far? Getting out of Pronger's contract? One in which could have been stashed on the LTIR only to replace it with Sam Gagner, a player that the coach has so much confidence in that he plays on the 3rd and 4th line?

There should be shake up, but instead the genius of Broad Street will be contempt with finishing near last to have yet another "can't miss" prospect. 

When does it get old? Does it ever? Nah just blame Holmgren, he's the reason why this team is so bad right? Meanwhile Scott Hartnells' 12 points would make up 75% of the entire Flyers 1st line combined. 

***END RANT*** Go Eagles, no wait they suck too. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, of the 18 players picked after Morin in tat same 2013 draft, 10 are already playing in the NHL with many already in their second year.

Who? Last i looked they were in the AHL. A few have been called up to the NHL but sent back to the AHL.

You forget he was just barely even eligible for the 2013 draft. He was deemed a project at the time but is suppose to have a great upside. Remember don't get caught up in the fact that he skates well for a 6-7 230 pound Dman. He is a stay at home type.

You need to temper your expecations. He is just 20 with this being his 1st year in the AHL. I guess since isn't in the NHL now he must be a bust. So just trade him.

Wow folks are just coming unglued this morning. I understand let it all out.

This may continue for awhile till Hak and Hextall are done evaluating who is going to be moved out.

It's coming, i just know this roster has several holes and players who just don't fit.

There is no quick fix it's just the reality of the situation.

And for those that can't handle the ugly uninspired hockey i would suggest not watching it's going to be painful.

Some can stomach it most can't.

But you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Who? Last i looked they were in the AHL. A few have been called up to the NHL but sent back to the AHL.

You forget he was just barely even eligible for the 2013 draft. He was deemed a project at the time but is suppose to have a great upside. Remember don't get caught up in the fact that he skates well for a 6-7 230 pound Dman. He is a stay at home type.

You need to temper your expecations. He is just 20 with this being his 1st year in the AHL. I guess since isn't in the NHL now he must be a bust. So just trade him.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2013e.html

And that's without digging too deeply into the following rounds.  My beef with the Flyers has always been their mediocre scouting department,  

And if it could be done, I'd be willing to include Morin in any deal that would rid us of McDonald, VLC, Read or Umberger.  Alas, just a fantasy.

And that's without digging too deeply into the following rounds.  My beef with the Flyers has always been their mediocre scouting department,  

And if it could be done, I'd be willing to include Morin in any deal that would rid us of McDonald, VLC, Read or Umberger.  Alas, just a fantasy.

please stop

I know the Flyers are struggling, but you need to think before you post 

So Morin is already a bust?

Did you happen to notice the Dman taken after Morin, Morrisey, still hasn't played in the NHL, but is still a great prospect? Or the Dman taken next, Pulock, hasn't played but is still a good prospect?  Or that the one taken after that, who bitched and moaned his way into getting traded because Buffalo wanted to bring him along slowly and he was too impatient, just got sent back down to the A? Or the Dman taken after that is in the A? Or the one taken after (Theodore) that still hasn't played in the NHL? Or that the 60 - odd defencemen taken after that have a collective EIGHT games in the NHL and...wait for it...ONE POINT!

Welcome to drafting defence. They take longer. Nobody is giving them away anymore. If you want good D, you better learn how to get it. And be patient.

And trading a 1st round pick to get rid of any of those stiffs is insane.

Did you happen to notice the Dman taken after Morin, Morrisey, still hasn't played in the NHL, but is still a great prospect? Or the Dman taken next, Pulock, hasn't played but is still a good prospect?  Or that the one taken after that, who bitched and moaned his way into getting traded because Buffalo wanted to bring him along slowly and he was too impatient, just got sent back down to the A? Or the Dman taken after that is in the A? Or the one taken after (Theodore) that still hasn't played in the NHL? Or that the 60 - odd defencemen taken after that have a collective EIGHT games in the NHL and...wait for it...ONE POINT!

Welcome to drafting defence. They take longer. Nobody is giving them away anymore. If you want good D, you better learn how to get it. And be patient.

giphy.gif

I am sorry, but I am sick of excuses, they have been a bad or bubble team for how long now? I am sick of saying at least the consolation prize is a high pick that is xx years from seeing any pro-level ice time. 

For me, it is a matter of perspective. I don't see them as excuses but just the reality of the current situation. There are another 10-12 teams in the same situation. The Flyers are a bottom third team, with the potential to be a playoff bubble team at their best, or near the bottom at their worst.

There should be shake up, but instead the genius of Broad Street will be contempt with finishing near last to have yet another "can't miss" prospect. 

What kind of shakeup? Who would you trade and for what purpose? I would trade Simmonds, Read, Luke Schenn, and possibly Brayden Schenn - though honestly, he is the perfect 2nd line player. It's that kind of depth we would miss if we traded it away.

Is that a shakeup? I would also look to attach at least one bad contract to a trade... of course that diminishes the potential return but frees up cap space and a roster spot.

I'd let the rest of the guys figure things out with Hakstol and try to get with the program. Then Hextall can reevaluate at the end of the year.

I'm not sure what your point is those guys taken after Morin are in the AHL. I'm not sure what is wrong with that. In fact that is usually the arc of a 20 year old defensemen. Ekblads are generational talent and they don't come along at the 11th pick in the draft.

So i'm fine with where Morin is at. Must be hard to learn when your veteran goaltender is giving up 4 goals a game and couldn't stop a beach ball.

I've watched several Phantoms games and Morin is doing fine. He's being used mainly in a shutdown role, he's getting hard minutes but not many opportunities to contribute offensively. Which is fine. His positioning is good, he skates really well and he generally makes smart, quick decisions with the puck. He'll be fine.

I've watched several Phantoms games and Morin is doing fine. He's being used mainly in a shutdown role, he's getting hard minutes but not many opportunities to contribute offensively. Which is fine. His positioning is good, he skates really well and he generally makes smart, quick decisions with the puck. He'll be fine.

Ya with the other defensive prospects we have all Morin has to be is good defensively...what ever offence he provides should be gravy.

Greetings:

I thought the most interesting point of the game was JJ's (I think) reminder that we have never had a Calder Cup winner. Never.  Yikes. I guess we have never picked high enough...or well enough, to get a real game changer.  Let's hope the stockpiling and development works.  We need it. There have been too many bad trades and not enough Kanes or Eichels for us to grow in the post-2004-05 NHL. We better hope that changes.  As the Inquirer reporters said...the boos last night were richly deserved.  It was tough to watch.

Peace,

Howie

@Howie58

Calder Cup is the AHL championship. We did manage to have Hextall and Barber be runnerup to the Calder Trophy. Crosby never won it either, so theres that. Nor did Howe, or Gretzky (WHA hate) Some guys who did win are Jim Carrey/Bobby Ryan/Andrew Raycroft/Sergei Samsonov/Barret Jackman..and several other not-so-great players.

It's WAY to early to be calling Morin a bust. Like others have said, he's a long term project. He should be in the AHL next year also. D-men take time, big gangly d-men usually take more time, the Flyers knew this going into that draft.

Archived