Chiasson Boarding of Laughton

flyerrod

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/21/video-alex-chiasson-boards-scott-laughton-fights-sam-gagner/

This is the type of thing that frustrates the hell out of me. Chiasson straight up drove Laughton head first into the boards and NO CALL. The NHLPA should be the one's holding player's accountable for hits like this one. If the NHL is not willing to address this, somebody has to. Losing money is the only thing that is going to stop these types of hits. Set up the money to go to charities or whatever but stop letting players get away with these types of hits unscathed......

I'm honestly asking: 

What would be the call there?

It wasn't charging, they were basically skating together. 

No head contact 

It wasn't late, the puck was just played

It wasn't from the back; it was from the side.

I see a good hockey hit.  A brutal hit.  A devastating hit.  But I don't see anything illegal there.  Am I wrong?

is it time to consider a warning track ?

I hate the idea, but that is a hit that isn't necessary.

Chaisson saw his numbers and lit him up 3 feet from the boards would a visual cue in  the form of another paint stripe help there ?

@ruxpin i don't think that was a good hit based on the proximity to the boards and the type of contact that was made.

Meh, there are probably 20-30 hits near the board a game, if not a period.  This one didn't turn out well, but I don't see anything illegal or even uncommon.

I'm honestly asking: 

No head contact 

I see a good hockey hit.  A brutal hit.  A devastating hit.  But I don't see anything illegal there.  Am I wrong?

That's boarding rux.

@ruxpin

He drives him head first into the boards...it's not the worst hit ever, but it's a dangerous hit when you shove a guy head first into the boards.

I don't see the shoving his head into the boards.   It's going to be another one of these where people see different things so I'll back out of this, but there's no call on the ice with the official looking right at it and I bet the league doesn't even comment or comments in support of the no call.  It's a shame for Laughton, but I really do think no call was the right call. 

@ruxpin

when i look at it again at full speed it doesn't look dirty but "unfortunate"  you're right that hits similar to that take place many times a night, 

The replay makes it look much worse.  I can see where there was no penalty based on where the refs are positioned.

I do think this is a case where the proposed warning track my avoid these kind of injuries.  The NHL is making the "we're serious" noise about trying to reduce head trauma.  

@ruxpin

I'm not on the "take hitting out" bandwagon, and I understand what you're saying....I just think players need to start realizing how big and strong they are compared to 20-30 years ago when drilling each other into a wall.

I'll buy that.

I've always argued against the European ice surface because of the expense and engineering issues, but it may be time to seriously consider that, as well.

Players are just bigger, etc., and the ice surface is shrinking (comparatively speaking).  I think the larger ice surface probably may prove to just give them more area to ramp up speed, but I think the increase space may help some of the dangerous hits.  Dunno, just an idea.

@mojo1917  I kind of want to resist yet more lines and crap on the ice.  If players can't figure out they're near the boards then you really can't help them with the "Samsung Warning Track" splashed all over the ice.

You're only allowed to crush guys into the boards if they can brace themselves for the hit. That's what determines whether the hit is legal or illegal, whether the guy is "defenseless" or not. Clearly Laughton was in a defenseless position - I don't see any way around that. I was shocked there was no call.

Does Chiassosn deserve a suspension? Was it a major penalty? No and no. But certainly 2-min. for boarding should've been called. There were more than the usual WTF calls/no calls last night from what I saw.

you really can't help them with the "Samsung Warning Track" splashed all over the ice.

lol - great point! Lord knows the sport doesn't need more "sponsorship."  I am so sick of north American sports marketing. I watch a fair bit of tennis online and the Euro and Asian channels are so much better than ESPN - in every way and the biggest difference: no "McDonalds Injury Time Out" and "Burger King Changeovers."

lol - great point! Lord knows the sport doesn't need more "sponsorship."  I am so sick of north American sports marketing. I watch a fair bit of tennis online and the Euro and Asian channels are so much better than ESPN - in every way and the biggest difference: no "McDonalds Injury Time Out" and "Burger King Changeovers."

No doubt!  And now the "green screening" of the glass around the rink. It's nuts.   I know it's kind of tradition now, but even the PEEEEEEEECO Power Play! has always bothered me.

They should name the overtime the "SEPTA overtime."  Because God knows Septa will never get you there during regulation.

I'm honestly asking: 

No head contact 

Had he not followed through driving his head into the boards, I would not have a beef with it. That is pretty much a text book boarding call IMHO.

That was boarding... but you know what? Who cares... this team flat out sucks and it would not have changed their outcome.

Starting with Hextall all these way down to their last roster player this team sucks.

Dn't sugarcoat it.

@mojo1917  I kind of want to resist yet more lines and crap on the ice.  If players can't figure out they're near the boards then you really can't help them with the "Samsung Warning Track" splashed all over the ice.

I don't think , I want to see that either.

maybe we need stop signs on the back of the sweaters.  

It's a fast game played by bigger men than ever before.

I think I'd be okay with seeing a larger ice surface too.  

I like the hitting and don't want to see it  taken from the sport, i  also don't like head injuries cutting guys careers short either.

is it time to consider a warning track ?

I hate the idea, but that is a hit that isn't necessary.

Chaisson saw his numbers and lit him up 3 feet from the boards would a visual cue in the form of another paint stripe help there ?

Necessary. That's the key. It's about respect. Respecting your fellow competitor enough to not risk his health, career and general well being.

The only reason to hit him like that is to injure him. That should be enough to make it an unclean hit. Maybe the refs can't call it anything g specific but I'm getting tired of the league taking this crap lightly.

Seemingly disproportionately not In Our favor.

But that's ridiculous and circumstantial to suggest.

Breaking a guy's rib with a hit is one thing. Talk to Primeau and Pronger... Head injuries go far behind time off the ice. Players need to respect that.

Archived