Lecavalier... eeeinteresting.

Bakanekimiwa

(Wow I'm bored with this Leafs bye week........) :confused[1]:

VLC had 20 points in 57 games last season with ATOI of 12:38. That means he was on pace for......... (insert calculator)...... approximately 40 points in 82 games if he had played 18:00 minutes per game, good for 6th best on the team. :cool[1]:

Probably the only reason Kessel stayed in the lineup last season with Toronto!

It worked! :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If im him i keep quiet and take the cash. Its obvious if anyone in the league thought he had something left he would be there now. Hell at this point i would waive my nmc and move to the ahl so at least i could play and have a better chance of anther team picking me up. It should be easier to move a player thats at least in game shape than one thats passed popcorn for 40 games. As a GM i would try anything to move this guy and as a player who still thinks i have it i would do anything to prove it.

I agree with this. Move him to the A. Obviously he has to consent, but I've him a chance to lead the AHL in scoring and see who bites come playoff time.

Which makes sense if someone is a healthy scratch for a game or two. In this case, it seems clear that the team is never going to play him.   :confused[1]:

If I were him and getting paid 4.5 million dollars a year to watch Hockey games, I would not complain.

Crap, I have to travel around and get paid 4.5 million a year to watch Hockey with all expenses paid.

At this point, I would not care at all. The team made promises to him and changed them(Laviolette being a big reason he signed there and promises of icetime), so what can you do. On the other end, the team paid him expecting certain services and he failed to deliver. But that is the nature of contracts on players his age and decline.

I agree with this. Move him to the A. Obviously he has to consent, but I've him a chance to lead the AHL in scoring and see who bites come playoff time.

he isn't going to be ok with that.  the guy is proud, he isn't going to start riding buses.  the flyers decided to spend a ton of money on him, and then leave him in the press box.  that's on them, he's getting paid.  yeah, i'm sure he'd much rather be playing than not, but...i think he'd probably rather not, then play in the A, like is isn't a several time allstar, rocket richard trophy winner, and cup champ.  and i can't blame him a bit for that.

as has been said, this mess is entirely on the flyers, and they've handled it wrong from go.  the guy shouldn't have been offered that money for that long, but once committed, the team should have done what they needed to to get the most from their investment.  he is a shadow of what he once was, but he is still an NHL player, and the team that dedicated a chunk of their cap space to him should have found a way to get *something* out of that cap space commitment.  at the very worst, he is on par with raffl/umberger/vandevelde.  if they can find some icetime, there is no reason he can't.  none of the above are part of the flyers' grand long term plan, VLC wouldn't be taking a spot away from the developing core any more than, say, raffl.  and, if he were given the chance to show he was still at least a 40 point player in the league, the flyers just might have been able to convince someone near the floor to take his contract, if only for the $1.5mil spread between his cap hit and actual salary.  not to mention, the flyers could retain half his salary in a deal, if they wanted.  with some of the players getting significant paychecks in this league, i cannot believe there isn't a team out there that would have been happy to have him at $2mil/season.  as it stands, hakstol has doubled down on the stink berube rubbed all over VLC last season, and he has to appear completely toxic to any otherwise potentially interested teams.

as a flyers fan, i'd love for lecavalier to magically go away, but that is essentially impossible due to how the flyers' coaching staff have maneuvered/represented him.  if i'm him, i would make recommendations on new popcorn flavors, invest in some slippers that went with my suit, and enjoy getting paid a combined $4.7mil/yr to watch hockey games, eat popcorn (of my choice), and wear comfy slippers.  flyers' management could bite me if they think i'm going to bunk with some undrafted AHL scrub in cheap hotels and play to full houses of 6,000 people.

On the other end, the team paid him expecting certain services and he failed to deliver. But that is the nature of contracts on players his age and decline.

I agree to an extent - and while I am not one to "defend" Lecavalier as a Flyer, he did score 20 goals in his first season here with limited icetime and not exactly world-beating linemates. Yes, there were some man advantage (6-on-5 and PPP) and some empty netters in there.

There's no question he was sold a bill of goods when he signed and then dumped on for not producing in roles where he was almost guaranteed not to produce - 4th line wing, for example. I mean, who doesn't score 20 in that role??

I agree to an extent - and while I am not one to "defend" Lecavalier as a Flyer, he did score 20 goals in his first season here with limited icetime and not exactly world-beating linemates. Yes, there were some man advantage (6-on-5 and PPP) and some empty netters in there.

There's no question he was sold a bill of goods when he signed and then dumped on for not producing in roles where he was almost guaranteed not to produce - 4th line wing, for example. I mean, who doesn't score 20 in that role??

I'm with @aziz on this one. This is entirely the Flyer's problem which they created for themselves. Sure, he's not looking anything like the player he once was, but aziz is correct in that the Flyers haven't managed their asset in a way to try to get *some* value out of the investment. 

Fans looking for a magic solution have begun wishing Vinny will suck it up and retire for our sake. If you consider the situation from all sides, it's pretty easy to see how this is extremely wishful thinking. 

I'm with @aziz on this one. This is entirely the Flyer's problem which they created for themselves. Sure, he's not looking anything like the player he once was, but aziz is correct in that the Flyers haven't managed their asset in a way to try to get *some* value out of the investment. 

Fans looking for a magic solution have begun wishing Vinny will suck it up and retire for our sake. If you consider the situation from all sides, it's pretty easy to see how this is extremely wishful thinking. 

I'm in complete agreement.  An aging star returning from injury that was bought out by his long time team can't produce a 360 game the way he used to?    I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

We signed him specifically to play in Lavvy's system and then after three games Homer freaks out, has some sort of complete mental breakdown, fires Lavvy, put's Chief in charge and then just gets frustrated that his 5 million per year investment isn't playing like he's 27 anymore and proceeds to let Chief punish him with benchings for not scoring 35 goals on 6 minutes per night.

This is what the psych 101 course I took in college would call "A Self Fulfilling Prophecy."  in other words, NO SH!T he's not producing enough jack wads!

I don't want Vinny to Retire.  Someone has to friggin' learn from this and him letting Hextall and Homer off the hook isn't going to accomplish that.  

Homer only gave Jagr what?  a million? for a year? This is Jagr.  Arguable hockey's best player over the past 20 years.  How the hell does Vinny merit 5 times that (both in dollars and years)?

What ticks me off is that after Lavvy left, it seemed Chief made every choice to bury Vinny and get rid of him for two damn years rather than trying to figure out how the hell to utilize him.

So you only want him to play 6 minutes a night?  HOW ABOUT MAKING 4 of those 6 minutes PP minutes when presumably he won't have to do as much skating... you know the kind of minutes the guy built his career on?  

But no... Chief pulled him OFF the PP.  Granted, the PP was great last year (largely due to G, Jake, Streit and Simmer) but no one was thinking past the next game.  No one was thinking that maybe if you didn't want Vinny any more, maybe just maybe the thing to do would be to MAKE HIM LOOK BETTER TO SUITORS!!!!!!!

But after one year of making him look crappier and crappier, they doubled down and made him look even worse the next year.  INSPITE of the fact that there were teams apparently still potentially interested in the guy at that point.

I don't know what the hell anyone associated with the team (not wearing a uniform) was thinking.  They all acted like morons.  

as a flyers fan, i'd love for lecavalier to magically go away, but that is essentially impossible due to how the flyers' coaching staff have maneuvered/represented him.  if i'm him, i would make recommendations on new popcorn flavors, invest in some slippers that went with my suit, and enjoy getting paid a combined $4.7mil/yr to watch hockey games, eat popcorn (of my choice), and wear comfy slippers.  flyers' management could bite me if they think i'm going to bunk with some undrafted AHL scrub in cheap hotels and play to full houses of 6,000 people.

This.  ^

I'd even take it a step further and stop working out. He could put on a nice beer gut, and wear some comfy track pants or blue jeans to spill popcorn on while watching the game.   :D

as a flyers fan, i'd love for lecavalier to magically go away, but that is essentially impossible due to how the flyers' coaching staff have maneuvered/represented him. if i'm him, i would make recommendations on new popcorn flavors, invest in some slippers that went with my suit, and enjoy getting paid a combined $4.7mil/yr to watch hockey games, eat popcorn (of my choice), and wear comfy slippers. flyers' management could bite me if they think i'm going to bunk with some undrafted AHL scrub in cheap hotels and play to full houses of 6,000 people.

I'm imaging him in a dirty bathrobe and slippers with a scruffy beard looking at Snider and saying...

This.  ^

I'd even take it a step further and stop working out. He could put on a nice beer gut, and wear some comfy track pants or blue jeans to spill popcorn on while watching the game.   :D

yeah but Flyers management will be ticked...you know how hard it is to get butter stains out of track pants or blue jeans? :D

Archived