Flyer 2016 trade options....

OccamsRazor

On 2/26/2016 at 1:53 PM, King Knut said:

Why do we think Drouin will cooperate and be a good boy for Hakstol if he couldn't for Cooper?

I agree in not trading Schenn... That makes little sense to me.  He's come along well the last two years.

I'm uncomfortable trading Morin so soon.  I think the Flyers on 2 years plus from now will greatly benefit from his size.  Imagine if we had a coburn type (in his prime) who was only needed to play like a coburn type instead of like a pronger type?

I think Morin could be at least that good and at that point (with Ghost, and Sanheim and Provo) a great piece to complete the puzzle in the back end.

I don't know much about this year's draft pool.  I don't know what we'd be giving up with a first.  I also don't know how to expect whether or not Drouin will be worth it.  Seems like a real gamble given his actions this season.

Part of the reason why Drouin intrigues me is that we don't know what's really going on behind the scenes in Tampa Bay. Maybe Cooper doesn't like Drouin because Drouin doesn't fit the scheme he's trying to run. Look, the fact that Tampa Bay is leaving their franchise player dangle in the wind should send alarm bells to everyone how Yzerman and company are running things. Fact is, Drouin is an offensively gifted player that could be a dynamic player in the right circumstances. Maybe Drouin doesn't understand what's being asked of him and it's not the first time a young player has gone through something like that. Look at Hitchcock and his time here in Philadelphia. The man was NOTORIOUSLY rough on younger players, to the point he would often chase them out of town. Maybe Drouin is frustrated because he doesn't know what's being asked of him in Tampa Bay.

Everywhere he's been, he's been considered the ultimate hardworking teammate and someone who is loved by all. So, how does he go from that to entitled brat in one year? It's simple - there's more than meets the eye here.

As for who I'd give up, under no circumstances do any of the big four D prospects even remotely get considered. Yzerman has to understand that by suspending Drouin, he's diminished his value. Honestly, if I'm Hextall, I offer Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Mark Friedman, Reese Wilcox, a 2nd and a 3rd this year. That's more than fair for Drouin.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

According to The Score here in Canada, Tallon is talking Brandon Pirri as part of a return for Raffl. If that's the case, sayanora Raffl.

i forgot about Pirri.  i know his primary position is Center...any chance he can play LW?

55 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

According to The Score here in Canada, Tallon is talking Brandon Pirri as part of a return for Raffl. If that's the case, sayanora Raffl.

Nevermind Pirri is in the last year of his ELC and is only 24. Yes i would do that.

Buh bye Raffl.

45 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Part of the reason why Drouin intrigues me is that we don't know what's really going on behind the scenes in Tampa Bay. Maybe Cooper doesn't like Drouin because Drouin doesn't fit the scheme he's trying to run. Look, the fact that Tampa Bay is leaving their franchise player dangle in the wind should send alarm bells to everyone how Yzerman and company are running things. Fact is, Drouin is an offensively gifted player that could be a dynamic player in the right circumstances. Maybe Drouin doesn't understand what's being asked of him and it's not the first time a young player has gone through something like that. Look at Hitchcock and his time here in Philadelphia. The man was NOTORIOUSLY rough on younger players, to the point he would often chase them out of town. Maybe Drouin is frustrated because he doesn't know what's being asked of him in Tampa Bay.

Everywhere he's been, he's been considered the ultimate hardworking teammate and someone who is loved by all. So, how does he go from that to entitled brat in one year? It's simple - there's more than meets the eye here.

As for who I'd give up, under no circumstances do any of the big four D prospects even remotely get considered. Yzerman has to understand that by suspending Drouin, he's diminished his value. Honestly, if I'm Hextall, I offer Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Mark Friedman, Reese Wilcox, a 2nd and a 3rd this year. That's more than fair for Drouin.

Very fair post with some intriguing thoughts.  I don't know, you do make some very compelling arguments to maybe it is not all Drouin's fault.  I do agree with you, maybe we don't know what is all going on behind closed doors.  Do you really think Drouin is worth 5 players?

6 hours ago, Philly29 said:

Well that settles the Drouin debate we got our man without giving anything up for him either. Even got him at one helleva bargin!

The Cup is ours!!!!!!!!!!:ToastingSmiley:

Bob McKenzie Retweeted Philadelphia Flyers

Two-year, two-way contract for PHI Colin McDonald, $625K/$350K and $650/$350K:

14 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Very fair post with some intriguing thoughts.  I don't know, you do make some very compelling arguments to maybe it is not all Drouin's fault.  I do agree with you, maybe we don't know what is all going on behind closed doors.  Do you really think Drouin is worth 5 players?

I don't think Drouin is worth five players, but if Yzerman is going to deal him in the division, the Flyers are going to be forced to give up something. As it stands, the Flyers give up a right wing in Aube-Kubel, they give up two right handed defensemen in Wilcox and Friedman (something Yzerman is desperately looking for), and the 2nd and 3rd come from the additional picks the Flyers received. Let's be honest though - the Flyers get the best player in the deal in Drouin and he automatically becomes the top left wing prospect in the organization and a sure fire top six. I don't know if Drouin would fit with Giroux and Voracek (I see Lindblom being that guy because of the physical north-south style he plays), but I can certainly see Drouin fitting in on a line with Couturier and Schenn, especially with his playmaking skills.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't see Yzerman dealing Drouin for a bunch of B level prospects. Never say never, but I think there are much better deals to be had than NAK as your centrepiece.

Pods called Drouin a spoiled brat years ago when he lived in Halifax and watched the Mooseheads, so he certainly hasn't been loved by all. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat for that package you mentioned...I just don't see Tampa doing it. His value has certainly fallen though.

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't see Yzerman dealing Drouin for a bunch of B level prospects. Never say never, but I think there are much better deals to be had than NAK as your centrepiece.

Pods called Drouin a spoiled brat years ago when he lived in Halifax and watched the Mooseheads, so he certainly hasn't been loved by all. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat for that package you mentioned...I just don't see Tampa doing it. His value has certainly fallen though.

But to me it seems like the closer Yzerman waits till the deadline the less leverage he has...which already isn't a lot. Had Drouin kept everything in bouse and just been a good soldier and went down and noone realy knew he went out the Bolts would have been in a better situation.

But it hurt his value a lot i say because if he did it once what is to stop him again if his new team wants to send him a message for poor play again??? Pout and whine just like we've seen.

I don't want know part of him becuase his attitude could infect their youg crop about to come in. No thanks i'll pass.

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Easy, he listens to piss poor advice from his Agent. When you are sent down by your coach to get more ice time, you don't respond by pouting to the press and refusing to play(On the advice of or through his Agent). Drouin is going to have to work very hard to lose the stigma that his Agent's advice has saddled him with.

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But to me it seems like the closer Yzerman waits till the deadline the less leverage he has...which already isn't a lot. Had Drouin kept everything in bouse and just been a good soldier and went down and noone realy knew he went out the Bolts would have been in a better situation.

But it hurt his value a lot i say because if he did it once what is to stop him again if his new team wants to send him a message for poor play again??? Pout and whine just like we've seen.

I don't want know part of him becuase his attitude could infect their youg crop about to come in. No thanks i'll pass.

The guy was a 3rd overall pick 3 drafts ago. He's highly skilled. If a jerk like Kovalchuk came back there are teams that would have interest.

Has Drouin hurt his value? Absolutely. But if I'm Yzerman and I get offered 3 B and C level prospects and a 2nd and 3rd I'm not jumping all over it. Someone is likely going to offer more. That isn't 100% for sure, cause we've seen worse trades. But the likelyhood of it happening is doubtful IMO.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

But to me it seems like the closer Yzerman waits till the deadline the less leverage he has...which already isn't a lot.

true, until the second after the deadline has passed.  then, leverage starts to build again heading towards the draft.  come draft day, all teams looking towards the near future but holding mid-round picks will start looking at drouin through the prospect lens again, and offers will be made. 

yzerman doesn't have to move drouin, ever.  so long as drouin is suspended, his contract doesn't tick down, as i understand it.  he will be tampa property indefinitely.  imo, tampa would be making a mistake to value drouin as anything less than a top-5 pick, and should insist on getting that level of value in return.  anything less than a top-6 forward, a mid-1st round pick, and multiple b-grade prospects would be a miss for yzerman.  and with the stamkos situation looking weirder and weirder by the day, i don't think yzerman can afford a miss right now.

18 minutes ago, aziz said:

true, until the second after the deadline has passed.  then, leverage starts to build again heading towards the draft.  come draft day, all teams looking towards the near future but holding mid-round picks will start looking at drouin through the prospect lens again, and offers will be made. 

yzerman doesn't have to move drouin, ever.  so long as drouin is suspended, his contract doesn't tick down, as i understand it.  he will be tampa property indefinitely.  imo, tampa would be making a mistake to value drouin as anything less than a top-5 pick, and should insist on getting that level of value in return.  anything less than a top-6 forward, a mid-1st round pick, and multiple b-grade prospects would be a miss for yzerman.  and with the stamkos situation looking weirder and weirder by the day, i don't think yzerman can afford a miss right now.

Regardless i don't want him to be a Flyer maybe i didn't make that part clear, other than that i don't give a rat's ass what happens to him.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Regardless i don't want him to be a Flyer maybe i didn't make that part clear, other than that i don't give a rat's ass what happens to him.

same here, i would rather have hextall get alot more cap space and spend on cheap fa vets for depth. as much as everyone is high on d prospects, i would rather keep them developing unless we really need them and not rush them for sake of adding a dman. if this team wants to go the next level, hextall has to get depth players. depth wins championships.

50 minutes ago, briere48 said:

same here, i would rather have hextall get alot more cap space and spend on cheap fa vets for depth. as much as everyone is high on d prospects, i would rather keep them developing unless we really need them and not rush them for sake of adding a dman. if this team wants to go the next level, hextall has to get depth players. depth wins championships.

Ok, I think you've officially covered the entire spectrum of what wins championships.

46 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, I think you've officially covered the entire spectrum of what wins championships.

Winning 16 games in the playoffs is important, too.

20 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The guy was a 3rd overall pick 3 drafts ago. He's highly skilled. If a jerk like Kovalchuk came back there are teams that would have interest.

Has Drouin hurt his value? Absolutely. But if I'm Yzerman and I get offered 3 B and C level prospects and a 2nd and 3rd I'm not jumping all over it. Someone is likely going to offer more. That isn't 100% for sure, cause we've seen worse trades. But the likelyhood of it happening is doubtful IMO.

I agree.  Yzerman is not going to get even value for him, but he will still get a good return.  Drouin is an as of yet unproven 3rd overall pick with a lot of talent.  Fair market would be a players taken 8-12 that is still unproven.  MORIN.

Unlike most people here I am ok moving either Morin or Sanheim for Drouin.  I know the trade will be worth it.  We need offense, and it is very unlikely we will ever get a shot at a kid like this in the draft, and you need this kind of talent, not just on the backend, but on the forward lines as well.

And if Drouin doesn't pan out I would kick the tires on Yakupov.

5 minutes ago, JJMason33 said:

I agree.  Yzerman is not going to get even value for him, but he will still get a good return.  Drouin is an as of yet unproven 3rd overall pick with a lot of talent.  Fair market would be a players taken 8-12 that is still unproven.  MORIN.

Unlike most people here I am ok moving either Morin or Sanheim for Drouin.  I know the trade will be worth it.  We need offense, and it is very unlikely we will ever get a shot at a kid like this in the draft, and you need this kind of talent, not just on the backend, but on the forward lines as well.

And if Drouin doesn't pan out I would kick the tires on Yakupov.

Morin, sure. Sanheim? No way. He's Gostisbehere, only 6'4".

I don't understand what some of you guys are expecting Hextall to do today. He's already been able to trade a handful of players that everyone wanted gone this season (Grossmann, Pronger, Lecavalier, L. Schenn). To me, Hextall has already had a successful trade deadline, he just didn't wait until the last day to do it. 

What we have left, is mostly crap

-Gagner: probably our easiest player to move. Mid round pick is all we would get
-Umberger: no one wants him
-Read: could be moved, but I doubt it
-White: should be moved if Hextall does not want to re-sign him
-Streit: unlikely because he's got another year left and we can't retain any more salary
-MacDonald: LOL
-Medvedev: should be moved if Hextall does not want to re-sign him (and I don't think he does)
-Schultz: if a team is desperate enough to take him, but he's also got another year left

So realistically, Gagner, White and Medvedev are the only ones I could see being traded today if Hextall has any offers 

34 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I don't understand what some of you guys are expecting Hextall to do today. He's already been able to trade a handful of players that everyone wanted gone this season (Grossmann, Pronger, Lecavalier, L. Schenn). To me, Hextall has already had a successful trade deadline, he just didn't wait until the last day to do it. 

-Gagner: probably our easiest player to move. Mid round pick is all we would get
-Streit: unlikely because he's got another year left and we can't retain any more salary
-Medvedev: should be moved if Hextall does not want to re-sign him (and I don't think he does)
-Schultz: if a team is desperate enough to take him, but he's also got another year left

So realistically, Gagner, White and Medvedev are the only ones I could see being traded today if Hextall has any offers

Streit has the ability to get us something once other defenseman get moved and people start to get desperate.  Read is also a nice option once guys like Erikson and Parenteau get moved.  Gagner is an easy move, and I think Hexy loves White and will give him another 1 year deal.

Your right that he has made a lot of good deals.  But he should be able to get more.

And I would like to see a move that is co-beneficial.  I would like it to be today because it would give us a good idea of what to expect for next season and our needs moving into the offseason, however I wouldn't be too disappointed to wait till the draft.  But we will probably pay more than.

On 1/11/2016 at 5:51 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I think the only way he doesn't move him is he doesn't like the return and would just keep him and revisit moving him at the draft or during the offseason. They need to make room on the blueline because i think Provorov will be a Flyer after next year's camp and preseason...i just feel the force is strong with this one.

I love the sound of all of that.  Make it so!

1 hour ago, JJMason33 said:

Streit has the ability to get us something once other defenseman get moved and people start to get desperate.  Read is also a nice option once guys like Erikson and Parenteau get moved.  Gagner is an easy move, and I think Hexy loves White and will give him another 1 year deal.

Your right that he has made a lot of good deals.  But he should be able to get more.

And I would like to see a move that is co-beneficial.  I would like it to be today because it would give us a good idea of what to expect for next season and our needs moving into the offseason, however I wouldn't be too disappointed to wait till the draft.  But we will probably pay more than.

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

I honestly don't expect anything.  It's deadline day so I'll watch anxiously like a kid on Christmas Eve, but that's just pavlovian response talk at this point.

I don't think he will or should make any moves.  If someone calls and says, "here's a first or Drouin for Streit" then okay... move him.  But there's no reason to move any of these guys (that can actually be moved that is).  Gagner's contract is up,  Read doesn't earn enough to be a problem and he's a good role filler.  Umberger is wasted, but he's in the "no one will take him" category with Mac (who is at least doing not a horrible job  right now).  

Unless someone tosses up a Timmo or Coburn style deal, I just don't see Hexy making any moves.  There's no reason.   

On the flip side, I also just don't see the Flyers as being "a player away" from anything.  There's NO ONE available out there who will make this team flip from flirting with the playoffs to being an absolute contender (and therefore be worth giving up a prospect).

STAMKOS is the exception, but he's UFA and will definitely want to test the waters.  I mean IF Tampa wants Umberger, MacDonald and Streit for Stamkos and Hexy gets permission to hammer out an extension with Stamkos in the next 3 hours, then great.  Make the deal.   (that's sarcasm) Otherwise, I just don't see it happening (understatement).  

If (by some strange happenstance) Hexy had some reason to believe that Stamkos would consider signing with the Flyers in the off season, then Hexy can go ahead and start shopping guys to desperate teams in order to make the cap room now.

That however doesn't seem likely either (see above:  understatement).

So The Stamkos thing probably just ain't happening and if so, the better time to make it happen would be Summer.

So I'm back to square one.  Unless someone offers him something amazing for someone he was probably going to let go anyway (i.e. Coburn / Timmo style deals) I just don't see it being worth Hextall's efforts to do anything much at all.

The thing he needs most is still cap relief.

Archived