Gary Bettman Threatens/Bullies Calgary to Build New Arena

WordsOfWisdom

"Build me a new shrine!!!" - demanded self-declared deity Gary Bettman. 

Okay, he didn't say it quite like that, but that was the message he sent.

This is why Canadians HATE Gary Bettman. He has the nerve to issue an ultimatum to the city of Calgary to build a new arena or else the NHL won't ever hold another draft, ASG, or any event there in the future? Well Gary, you know where you can stick your ASG.  :devil:

Obviously it hasn't occurred to Bettman that the collapse of the Canadian dollar (now 70 cents US) and the collapse of the oil industry might have an effect on Alberta's economy. Unless Bettman wants to pay for the new arena himself, I suggest he shut his mouth before Calgary's mayor puts his fist in it.

To the city, I guess. Speaking to the CoC:

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the time is right for a new arena for the Calgary Flames.

Bettman, speaking to the city's Chamber of Commerce on Monday, says work on a new rink "needs to happen" for the Flames immediately.

"This is not a threat. I'm expressing the realities," said Bettman, who added the city would not get events like the NHL Draft or All-Star Game without a new arena. The Flames play their home games at Scoatiabank Saddledome, which was built in 1983.

"The Flames will have the dubious distinction, with the oldest arena in the NHL," said Bettman, who pointed out that the new Rogers Place in Edmonton will be ready on Canada Day (July 1) 2017, making the Saddledome the oldest arena in the NHL. "There is only box left to check off on my arena checklist. It would be a shame if Calgary fell further behind."

The Commissioner said, despite Calgary's current economic issues, this is the right time for an arena project.

"I'm having trouble understanding why there hasn't been further progress on CalgaryNext," said Bettman, referencing a proposed $900 million project for a new arena, as well as a football stadium for the Stampeders of the Canadian Football League. "Obviously, this project cannot happen without the support and the leadership from the city."

The time is right only if a private entity is going to build it. Research shows that the idea of increased revenue due to new stadium construction is dubious, at best.

35 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Calgary's mayor puts his fist in it.

Not really mayor Nenshi's style, but he's no slouch at the communications, that's for sure. Bettman will call the mayor and settle this down though. People might not like Bettman, but he's no slouch either. 

32 minutes ago, sarsippius said:

So....this was said to Flames ownership or to the City of Calgary?  I would find either to be offensive, but the latter much more so

He basically said (as quoted below) that Calgary wouldn't get another draft, ASG, or other NHL event held there until they build a new arena. That's called an ultimatum. It's "do this or else".

There's nothing wrong with the Saddledome. Somebody has to have the oldest arena in the NHL. Bettman shouldn't be making a career out of harassing whichever city has the oldest. And how old is 1983 by building standards? Not very old. I'm pretty sure Madison Square Garden in New York is older. Fenway Park in Boston is 100 years old. Buildings require occasional retrofits and upgrading, but they don't need replacing every 20-30 years. That's insane.

This is just a big scam by the "mafia" that is the NHL executives. They are a group of gangsters in business suits that try to hold cities hostage and make money for themselves and their close friends -- which I bet they also have in the construction industry.

How does Calgary win? They probably spent a fortune on the Saddledome and haven't recouped the cost of building it yet. Now they're supposed to build an even more expensive arena? With whose money? Taxpayers? Does TIMING factor in at all? 70 cent dollar. Oil prices at $20 a barrel. This is absolutely NOT the time to invest in expensive projects like this. This thing needs to be mothballed and revisited in another ten years if the economy bounces back to where it was.  

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

They probably spent a fortune on the Saddledome and haven't recouped the cost of building it yet.

I don't think that's true at all, but can't say for sure. We need some Flames fans in the know here. 

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

And how old is 1983

Oh bless you. I was 15 in 1983, which means it's plenty old, especially the knees. They are like a 100.

28 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Not really mayor Nenshi's style, but he's no slouch at the communications, that's for sure. Bettman will call the mayor and settle this down though. People might not like Bettman, but he's no slouch either. 

It's the way in which he does things that bothers people. The NHL commissioner shouldn't be telling one of his owners how to spend his money, and he certainly shouldn't be issuing ultimatums to his owners to spend money or else.

Each owner is responsible for his own arena. When it gets replaced should be dictated by the fans, not the commish. If fans are happy with it, it stays. If the arena is in such bad condition that fans stop going to games, it gets replaced. Simple. :)

8 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's the way in which he does things that bothers people.

I know. He's annoying. I totally get why people hate him. I guess I don't. He's just doing his job. And he's basically a politician. I respect Nenshi for the skilled politician that he is, but I also respect Bettman for being an excellent politician too. He's a formidable opponent. I don't think Gary Bettman gives two shits what people think about him. And their might be a whole bunch of Calgarians who agree with him on the need for a new rink. I dunno.

There are 30 NHL teams, soon to be 32. so 32ish years between when a truly rotating schedule should hit a city. Calgary is due for the all-star game now (1985), and won't be due for the draft for 17 more years (2000). I guarantee you that if Calgary makes the SCF, they'll still play games at the Saddledome. So the question for the owners in Calgary, is is the increased revenue from two special events every 30+ years worth the expense of a new stadium? It's an expense for owners with limited profit benefit, so most would say no. Given the weakness of the economy in Canada in general and Calgary specifically, and the minimal expected returns, why should they build a new stadium?

14 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I know. He's annoying. I totally get why people hate him. I guess I don't. He's just doing his job. And he's basically a politician. I respect Nenshi for the skilled politician that he is, but I also respect Bettman for being an excellent politician too. He's a formidable opponent. I don't think Gary Bettman gives two shits what people think about him. And their might be a whole bunch of Calgarians who agree with him on the need for a new rink. I dunno.

But then he needs to support and encourage efforts for a new arena and delete the part about not holding NHL events in Calgary until they do. If he simply took a proactive position and assisted with new arena efforts (WITHOUT THE THREATS), then I'd respect him too. But he doesn't do that. He issues ultimatums to owners and to cities and uses threats of relocation and other such stuff to try and scare people into spending money they don't have.

I realize he's a figurehead for the 30 owners, but he holds quite a bit of power himself too. :ermm:

And You're right, btw. MSG is 15 years older than the Saddledome. Why isn't Bettman beating up the city of New York over a new stadium?

Honestly, I can do without these newer stadiums. What's wrong with having buildings with history to them? What's wrong with Joe Louis Arena, or the Boston Garden, or the Montreal Forum? I never got to see the Flyers play in the spectrum, but even for Phantoms games you could feel the history in the building. It was more about the game than all of the amenities around you. Isn't that what it's about?

And yes, I DO miss Veteran's Stadium.

20 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

He issues ultimatums to owners and to cities and uses threats of relocation and other such stuff to try and scare people into spending money they don't have.

Yeah he does. But it means that he's got nowhere using a nicer approach. He also doesn't have to make it personal, which he tends to at times. He seems to not like Nenshi

Kind of like when the International Olympic Committee demands some poor city build state of the art venues that will drain the local economy, cost billions, and only be used once.  Years later they will be relics with graffiti, overgrown vegetation, and crumbling walls.  But hey, at least they got the new building and hosted some events, right?

Perhaps Bettman and the City of Calgary could hold a shootout to decide.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

And You're right, btw. MSG is 15 years older than the Saddledome. Why isn't Bettman beating up the city of New York over a new stadium?

Well, they have upgraded MSG several times over that span.

That said, Calgary is SIXTH OVERALL in attendance this season averaging SIX THOUSAND more fans per night than the Islanders in their BRAND NEW arena and FIVE THOUSAND more per game than Florida, Arizona, Columbus and Carolina.

This is Gary's "solution" in search of a "problem."

What are they going to do? Move the Flames to Atlanta?

:mad:

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I don't think that's true at all, but can't say for sure. We need some Flames fans in the know here. 

Oh bless you. I was 15 in 1983, which means it's plenty old, especially the knees. They are like a 100.

Well, I was 3 in 1983. My daughters ages now. I grew into a powerful adult male capable of destroying the.........err

Well, I ain't ready for a new skeleton yet

55 minutes ago, radoran said:

Well, they have upgraded MSG several times over that span.

That said, Calgary is SIXTH OVERALL in attendance this season averaging SIX THOUSAND more fans per night than the Islanders in their BRAND NEW arena and FIVE THOUSAND more per game than Florida, Arizona, Columbus and Carolina.

Combined? :ph34r:

ETA: Upgraded, yes. But Bettman's not calling for "upgrades" to the Saddledome. I don't know that I want to replace one of, what, two? arenas in the NHL that have hosted the Olympics?

19 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Well, I was 3 in 1983. My daughters ages now. I grew into a powerful adult male capable of destroying the.........err

Well, I ain't ready for a new skeleton yet

You should be thankful that you weren't a teenager in the 1980s. Mainstream music was terrible and baggy sweaters was the fashion for young women. Not good.

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Probably because Canadians are "marks" (a wrestling term) for hockey. We probably care too much. He acts more and more like a douche bag towards the fans that care the most about the game. If he went into New York with his piss and vinegar, chest thumping, deity attitude, he would quickly discover how small he is... because New Yorkers would completely ignore him. It wouldn't even make the news down there. So he tries to apply leverage where he feels he has it most: up here. :unsure[1]:

I want the NHL head offices moved back to Toronto, and I'd like to see a Canadian commish. It's long overdue. The NHL's league executives have an image problem. They're not respected by hardcore fans because of the drastic changes they make to the game, or by casual fans with the way they try to "blackmail" markets like Phoenix, Seattle, Kansas City, etc. A change of scenery, approach, and attitude, could do the NHL well. :)

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

You should be thankful that you weren't a teenager in the 1980s. Mainstream music was terrible and baggy sweaters was the fashion for young women. Not good.

Mainstream music in most era's are terribad. 10 years ago it was "to the window, to the wall, till the sweat drips down my balls". 5 years ago it was "my pe poker face, my pe poker face".Nsomewhere between that was "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard", and now it's "keep on hoping cake by the ocean".

And we have to put up with grown men walking around with pants around their ankles saying they are gangsta!

What women wore doesn't matter as much to me

I was always good at getting them out of their clothes when I was single. And now I worry more about what my daughters I'll be wearing in 12 years

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Mainstream music in most era's are terribad. 10 years ago it was "to the window, to the wall, till the sweat drips down my balls". 5 years ago it was "my pe poker face, my pe poker face".Nsomewhere between that was "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard", and now it's "keep on hoping cake by the ocean".

And we have to put up with grown men walking around with pants around their ankles saying they are gangsta!

What women wore doesn't matter as much to me

I was always good at getting them out of their clothes when I was single. And now I worry more about what my daughters I'll be wearing in 12 years

The "jeans down around the ankles" look seems to be an exclusively male thing. Perhaps in the future it will shift to women, and your daughters will be wearing their jeans around their ankles. :ermm:

10 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Given the weakness of the economy in Canada in general and Calgary specifically, and the minimal expected returns, why should they build a new stadium?

I suspect that Bettman's next tactic would be to threaten relocation of the Flames as punishment for not building a new arena, particularly if they run into financial problems and need revenue sharing (which is highly likely). I could see Gary Bettman issuing an ultimatum whereby the Flames will only receive NHL revenue sharing money if they build a new arena, otherwise they'll be cut off -- effectively killing the franchise or forcing a move. (Or he'll set the minimum attendance figures to a level higher than the maximum seating capacity of the Saddledome and force the Flames to hit the target with a new arena in order to collect RS.

Does anyone believe that Bettman would give any of those "events" to Calgary anyway? I seriously doubt it. Near as I can figure, all he cares about is the southwestern U.S.A.

Places like Arizona, Dallas, you know, the teams that fail while the rest of the league pays for them? It's the old misdirection trick....;) 

On 1/12/2016 at 1:30 PM, eleven24 said:

Perhaps Bettman and the City of Calgary could hold a shootout to decide.

Are we talking wild west style? Pistols at ten paces? They could make a lot of money on that.

Archived