Game #80 - Toronto at Flyers - Apr 7th, 2016

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

At Least Simmer saved  the season.

That goalie interference that wasn't called looked very similar to a goal that was disallowed earlier in the year versus Detroit by Simmer back in january...it was the one that had several pages on it in fact i'd dig it out if i had time but out the door to work.

If anyone can how about find that thread.

Thoughts gripes and whines welcome..............no Pens fans.............j/k:ph34r:

Down 2-0 and 3-1 at home to the worst team in the league with a playoff spot on the line?  No one the blame but themselves. 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:
1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

HUH???

He did make a terrible pass on the one goal but the guy literally save the season w/ the tying goal.

and if he wouldnt have made that boneheaded pass, he wouldnt have caused the 3rd goal

I don't see a clear way out of this conversation for either of you, lol

Let's get back to reality here folks.... was this loss absolutely disappointing?  Heck yea it was...  Here is the thing:  this has all been a "cherry on top" for me as I never thought they would actually be in the playoff race.  I understand the disappointment but let's face the reality here - this Team is not making any noise in the playoffs anyway.  Spare me the "if we just get in" stuff b/c this Team still has a lot of fatal flaws.  

What we are seeing is a Team that is gassed from playing "life or death" hockey since the break (and before).  There are a lot of parts to like here:  Schenn has emerged, Gost has been outstanding, Mason and Neuvy are a great pairing, Hak is doing very well, etc...   

If they make the playoffs great, if they don't oh well...   It was never about this year anyway and they have played over their heads to be in this position - kudos to them.  Anyone that has played hockey should know that fatigue does set in and when it does your mind wants to do one thing and your body does another.   They aren't out of the race yet... hopefully they can find another gear but I have been pleased this season.    

7 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Let's get back to reality here folks.... was this loss absolutely disappointing?  Heck yea it was...  Here is the thing:  this has all been a "cherry on top" for me as I never thought they would actually be in the playoff race.  I understand the disappointment but let's face the reality here - this Team is not making any noise in the playoffs anyway.  Spare me the "if we just get in" stuff b/c this Team still has a lot of fatal flaws.  

What we are seeing is a Team that is gassed from playing "life or death" hockey since the break (and before).  There are a lot of parts to like here:  Schenn has emerged, Gost has been outstanding, Mason and Neuvy are a great pairing, Hak is doing very well, etc...   

If they make the playoffs great, if they don't oh well...   It was never about this year anyway and they have played over their heads to be in this position - kudos to them.  Anyone that has played hockey should know that fatigue does set in and when it does your mind wants to do one thing and your body does another.   They aren't out of the race yet... hopefully they can find another gear but I have been pleased this season.    

I agree on an intellectual level, but emotionally I will be very disappointed if they blow this because they were playing so well as a team. If they do blow it, you know it will stick in their craw all summer. That's not a bad thing either, will make them hungrier presumably. So yeah I guess it's all good.

Mrs. AJ (The Leafs fan) said, "I'm sorry honey," when they lost last night. My response was pretty much on par with what @murraycraven said. This run has been exciting, and I would love it if they got in. And, I'd be a bit disappointed if they fell out at the end. But in all honesty, they've exceeded my expectations for the year. The second half of the season has given me a lot of hope for the team as a whole going forward. I feel better about the future than I had thought I would. So it will sting a bit to see them come close and fall out (IF they do), but I'll still have a positive outlook when the offseason rolls around. That's much better than last season.

9 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I agree on an intellectual level, but emotionally I will be very disappointed if they blow this because they were playing so well as a team. If they do blow it, you know it will stick in their craw all summer. That's not a bad thing either, will make them hungrier presumably. So yeah I guess it's all good.

I am going to be disappointed for sure and I would think the players will be more disappointed.  The last few games they look, to me anyway, gassed.   They are also trying to force plays that simply are not there which is maddening.  I honestly can't take the cross ice passes anymore and the PP is beyond predictable - they just seem to be standing around (no movement).   It is disheartening as a fan  but when your 4th line is your best line as of late there is not much hope.

The Pens are going to come out flying tomorrow.  If they play like they did last night they are going to get drubbed.   

I just keep reminding myself this has all been a great run and something I did not expect at the beginning of the season.   Just not sure they have much gas left in the tank.  

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Just not sure they have much gas left in the tank.  

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

The last few games they look, to me anyway, gassed.

I haven't been able to really watch the last two so I will take your word for it. I guess I always feel that it's possible to dig down deep and find that last ounce of adrenalin. We shall see.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I haven't been able to really watch the last two so I will take your word for it. I guess I always feel that it's possible to dig down deep and find that last ounce of adrenalin. We shall see.

They have really been skating uphill and have never really controlled play since the Pens game.

Last night they came up against a bunch of AHLers excited to be playing in the NHL, allowed themselves to fall behind and then couldn't fully recover. If it had been an actual playoff team, I don't think they come away with anything.

They've been playing above their heads for 2016 and it is really coming home to bite them.

I really do fear that this weekend could get ugly. It's not that they don't have a chance, but they could also easily get their doors blown off.

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

haven't been able to really watch the last two so I will take your word for it. I guess I always feel that it's possible to dig down deep and find that last ounce of adrenalin. We shall see.

this is the biggest hope for me... every single time I thought this Team was down this year they managed to play well.  I guess we will see if they can find that last gear!

Thought I would share this:

Games that matter:

There are four hockey games that matter in the remainder of the 2015-16 NHL regular season. (None of them are tonight, by the way.) Here they are, listed in chronological order.

• Ottawa @ Boston, Saturday, 12:30 p.m. ET: Boston is the one team here without total control of their playoff fate, as they can't outright clinch a playoff spot by winning every game remaining on its schedule (which, for them, is just this game). But a win against the Senators on Saturday means they would make the playoffs with a loss of any kind by Philadelphia or Detroit in any of their weekend games. Ottawa's put up some decent fights down the stretch even though they've been out of the playoff race for a while, and this game is Erik Karlsson's last chance to make an impression on the Norris Trophy voters. So an Ottawa win would not be out of the question. But the Bruins have played pretty good hockey themselves this week, and they're the home team. They are certainly the favorites here.
  • Detroit @ NY Rangers, Saturday, 12:30 p.m. ET: The Red Wings currently sit atop the standings amongst these three teams in question, and they're guaranteed a playoff spot with a regulation or overtime win against the Rangers in this game. (They'd need a little bit of help in the event of a shootout win, and a fair bit of help in the event of a loss.) How much will the Rangers bring in this one? That's a fair question. They've dropped all the way to the first wild card spot in the East, which doesn't sound great ... until you remember that this means they've moved from facing the Penguins in the first round to moving over to the Atlantic bracket for the first two rounds of the playoffs. They would, at least temporarily, move back into that third seed in the Metropolitan with a win, but it wouldn't be too surprising to see them take it easy and rest some guys on Saturday. This one could really depend on how much the Rangers actually try to win. No, I don't love rooting for the Rangers on the final weekend of the season either, but we do crazy things in the name of love, I guess.
  • Pittsburgh @ Philadelphia, Saturday, 3:00 p.m. ET: This game will likely either be an elimination game or a win-and-in game for the Flyers, depending on what happens in those earlier games. And that's a scary thought for the orange and black right now, isn't it? You've watched the Flyers play the Penguins this year. You already know this is going to be a rather difficult one to win. And forget the fact that Pittsburgh is locked into its playoff positioning and has nothing to formally play for -- they may rest some players who are banged up, but their guys on the ice are absolutely going to be going all-in to keep the Flyers out of the playoffs. Whatever the Flyers have left in them is going to have to go into this game.
  • Philadelphia @ NY Islanders, Sunday, 7:00 p.m. ET: Depending on how Saturday's games go, this one could be completely meaningless for the Flyers in either a good or bad way. It could also be a game where the Flyers need at least one or maybe even two points to get into the playoffs. We'll see. If it does come down to this game, it's worth noting that the Flyers have played the Islanders pretty well this year, and that the Islanders have nothing to play for -- much like the Rangers as described above, they may actually be better off losing this game to try and fall back into the first wild card spot. Let's hope this isn't the last game the Flyers will play this season.

What needs to happen for the Flyers to get into the playoffs?

Yes, let's just cut to the chase here. Since the Red Wings' and Bruins' final games will be just about finished by the time the Flyers drop the puck on Saturday, we'll frame this in terms of what happens in those first two games.

• If either of Detroit or Boston loses in regulation: The Flyers will need two points in their last two games to make the playoffs.
  • If Detroit and Boston both pick up points, but one of them loses in overtime or a shootout: The Flyers will need three points in their last two games to make the playoffs.
  • If Detroit and Boston both win: The Flyers will need to win both of their last two games to make the playoffs.
Simple as that, really. It sucks that it's come to this. It really does. But this team can make the playoffs by winning two games in the final two days of the season no matter what happens elsewhere, and with a little bit of help they may not even need that. I think most of us would have signed up for this as a final weekend of the season back in October. Let's go.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

I really do fear that this weekend could get ugly. It's not that they don't have a chance, but they could also easily get their doors blown off.

Me too. You might as well just go play then. Go have fun. Let the chips fall where they may.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Me too. You might as well just go play then. Go have fun. Let the chips fall where they may.

agree with both you and @radoran...  if they are that gassed this could be ugly.   Little MC is going to the game tomorrow so I hope it is a good one for his sake.

Just now, murraycraven said:

Little MC is going to the game tomorrow so I hope it is a good one for his sake.

Awesome. You know there will be lots of emotion, but let's hope it is a close game where the Flyers have a chance to get some points at least. Enjoy.

14 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Awesome. You know there will be lots of emotion, but let's hope it is a close game where the Flyers have a chance to get some points at least. Enjoy.

he is pretty excited to say the least...

31 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Rad, don't encourage him!!  :P

I would have gone with :BlahBlahBlahSign:

Yeah, except that he's RIGHT.

In a playoff chase at home against the worst team in the league, that loss was a team effort :hocky:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yeah, except that he's RIGHT.

In a playoff chase at home against the worst team in the league, that loss was a team effort :hocky:

It was. I'm still waiting for Mason to move on those break aways.....:56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

It was. I'm still waiting for Mason to move on those break aways.....:56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

I'm still waiting for the team to stop giving up breakaways to the worst team in the league.

:ToastingSmiley:

7 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Exact same line of thinking I've been using for months. The important part, as far as I can see, is to get Ghost, Schenn guys like that, some very valuable playoff experience. Even the guys who have been with the team a while don't have a ton of playoff experience. You always have to sacrifice a playoff year in order to learn lessons, get used to the increased speed and tenactiy etc...learn what it takes to win in these circumstances...hopefully, that lesson learning year can be this year, which might make us eligible for a legit run next year...who knows.

The way this defense is constructed, I dont' see a long playoff run in them. They get the most out of what they have most nights, but in the playoffs, I see the defense folding like a cheap accordion.....yeah, looking at you McDud....and even though he has played decent of late, I don't trust Schultz in a pressure packed situation...ditto for Manning....that is half our defense....LOL!

" And forget the fact that Pittsburgh is locked into its playoff positioning and has nothing to formally play for -- they may rest some players who are banged up, but their guys on the ice are absolutely going to be going all-in to keep the Flyers out of the playoffs. Whatever the Flyers have left in them is going to have to go into this game. "

Totally agree with that part of the game preview. Regardless of who is playing, you damn well know, the Pens want the Flyers OUT....despite being manhandled by them of late, the Pens know it would be a tough match up against the Flyers, lots of reasons for the Pens to go all out and oust the Flyers. "The Shift" has not been forgotten.

Archived