I hate Jake

Samifan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Belly and Vandy aren't signed beyond next season so they can't be used.

That actually remains to be seen.  They haven't set that rule yet.  That's why Umberger is such a question.

The draft would happen just before 7/1 right? 

So technically there's going to be a whole bunch of players technically eligible for the draft, but who will not have contracts the next day.

This came up with Umberger because technically the Flyers would have to protect him because of the NMC they inherited from Columbus.  The problem is that NMC and his entire contract expire immediately after they are forced to waste a spot protecting him.  Doesn't make any sense.

Same with Belly and Vandy only in the other direction.  

Then again, if they DID change the rules so they make a little bit more sense, there's going to be a lot of confusion and weirdness.

The 2017 Flyers are a good reason why the 20% rule makes zero sense.  The year could end and they literally might not have enough players to leave unprotected as permitted by the rules.  

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Belly and Vandy aren't signed beyond next season so they can't be used.

Unless they are resigned.  Which shouldn't be hard. 

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

That actually remains to be seen.  They haven't set that rule yet.  That's why Umberger is such a question.

The draft would happen just before 7/1 right? 

So technically there's going to be a whole bunch of players technically eligible for the draft, but who will not have contracts the next day.

This came up with Umberger because technically the Flyers would have to protect him because of the NMC they inherited from Columbus.  The problem is that NMC and his entire contract expire immediately after they are forced to waste a spot protecting him.  Doesn't make any sense.

Same with Belly and Vandy only in the other direction.  

Then again, if they DID change the rules so they make a little bit more sense, there's going to be a lot of confusion and weirdness.

The 2017 Flyers are a good reason why the 20% rule makes zero sense.  The year could end and they literally might not have enough players to leave unprotected as permitted by the rules.  

True but the guys making 900K or less ain't going to help towards exposing the 18 mill or so required.

1 minute ago, aziz said:

Unless they are resigned.  Which shouldn't be hard. 

Not really KK has a point i think the draft is before the end of the year so i don't think they have to be signed beyond next season. It was the debate we had on another thread about it referring to Streit and RJ not be able to be exposed because they have NMCs yet aren't signed beyond next season so i think the same is in effect they don't have to be signed. Now i could be wrong or miss reading into it all.

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not really KK has a point i think the draft is before the end of the year so i don't think they have to be signed beyond next season. It was the debate we had on another thread about it referring to Streit and RJ not be able to be exposed because they have NMCs yet aren't signed beyond next season so i think the same is in effect they don't have to be signed. Now i could be wrong or miss reading into it all.

There's an ongoing discussion In the Ileague offices with GMs and owners.

there's confusion and a lot doesn't make sense. 

Teams shouldn't be forced to protect players they're losing in a day and players shouldn't be draft able my new teams that are UFA in a day. Right now both are true. 

Its not not fair to anyone really. New teams, old teams, players. 

in the case of the Flyers, Hedy could literally give no new contracts between them and now and the players above plus the goalies would be  would be the only ones he. CAN leave out there. He literally won't be able to protect as many he's allowed to and leave as many as he has to unprotected. 

It it hasn't been thought through all the way yet. 

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

There's an ongoing discussion In the Ileague offices with GMs and owners.

there's confusion and a lot doesn't make sense. 

Teams shouldn't be forced to protect players they're losing in a day and players shouldn't be draft able my new teams that are UFA in a day. Right now both are true. 

Its not not fair to anyone really. New teams, old teams, players. 

in the case of the Flyers, Hedy could literally give no new contracts between them and now and the players above plus the goalies would be  would be the only ones he. CAN leave out there. He literally won't be able to protect as many he's allowed to and leave as many as he has to unprotected. 

It it hasn't been thought through all the way yet. 

I agree and hopefully they work that out before hand.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree and hopefully they work that out before hand.

Kinda have to.  THere's going to be a lot of confusion for a while if they don't iron out the rules before the start of next season.  As it is, I think it's going to affect how teams go into free agency and the draft this summer.

31 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Kinda have to.  THere's going to be a lot of confusion for a while if they don't iron out the rules before the start of next season.  As it is, I think it's going to affect how teams go into free agency and the draft this summer.

they do have to, and there is an obvious answer sitting there:  have the expansion draft only address players whose rights will be owned for the next season.  period.  only contracted players or qualified RFAs for the following season at the time of the draft can be selected by the new teams, and thus are the only players that need to be protected by the current teams.

i don't know why they would be spending any particular amount of time thinking up something other than the above.  they'd probably want to have the expansion draft as close to july 1 as possible, to minimize the "we'll sign you the day after the expansion draft so we don't have to worry about you being sent to las vegas" stuff, but that should be easy enough to organize.  hold the draft on the 30th, with a non-draft-related roster freeze in effect starting at noon that day and ending at noon on july 1.  done and done.

bizarre they would even think about something more complicated than that.

27 minutes ago, aziz said:

they do have to, and there is an obvious answer sitting there:  have the expansion draft only address players whose rights will be owned for the next season.  period.  only contracted players or qualified RFAs for the following season at the time of the draft can be selected by the new teams, and thus are the only players that need to be protected by the current teams.

i don't know why they would be spending any particular amount of time thinking up something other than the above.  they'd probably want to have the expansion draft as close to july 1 as possible, to minimize the "we'll sign you the day after the expansion draft so we don't have to worry about you being sent to las vegas" stuff, but that should be easy enough to organize.  hold the draft on the 30th, with a non-draft-related roster freeze in effect starting at noon that day and ending at noon on july 1.  done and done.

bizarre they would even think about something more complicated than that.

I agree completely.  My guess (based on squat) is that is exactly what's intended, but they haven't ironed out the details of how to explain that and since none of this is even official yet, it may all be a moot discussion.

Long and short, it's as absurd to expect a team to protect a player that won't be on its lineup in 24 hours as it is to expect a new team to draft a player who will be an unrestricted free agent in 24 hours. 

I'm sure that Jake is playing through an injury right now. Not an excuse, just reality.

I still believe in him. When he's right, he can win us a series like this. if he could find his game, he could make a huge difference.

5 minutes ago, AndyS said:

I'm sure that Jake is playing through an injury right now. Not an excuse, just reality.

I still believe in him. When he's right, he can win us a series like this. if he could find his game, he could make a huge difference.

His "It's gonna be a long series" comment suggests to me he was a bit hurt going into this one.

Maybe if I continue to talk trash about the ginger caveman, he will actually so up and do something tonight.

C'mon Jake make me eat crow, I'd be happy to do it!

Ugh yeah that was ugly. Thanks for the link, good catch - a bell-ringer for sure maybe a concussion. He's not himself - beyond the "tough year" and the goal drought etc. I haven't seen him control the puck and make a play since ... I can't rem when.

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I didn't think the Niskanen hit was that bad.  The 2 min penalty was sufficient.

Chimera needs to sit a game.  

Well the head was a point of contact from what i saw.

Not only was the point of contact Voracek's head, Voracek was right up against the glass with his back turned. Also, factor in that Chumpera never even made an attempt to pull up.

Archived