Eastern Conference QF Game 5 - Flyers at Capitals - Apr 22 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Way to go Schenn!!!

Heck yea. I don't think Schenn is much of a fighter, but Oshie picked the wrong night at the wrong time and got his ass handed to him.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Neuvirth looks like he wants to Halak this thing and write another chapter in Caps playoff failures. 1 goal against on 76 shots over the last 2 games is pretty damn impressive.

I feel momentum shifting......

Well, I said that we would need secondary scoring to win the game. Sometimes it better to be lucky than good. White proved that tonight. Hakstol has them playing disciplined hockey.  The Caps must be so frustrated.  They are a much better team on paper and have blowout wins to show for it. But the last two games they've looked out of it.

Just now, Howie58 said:

Well, I said that we would need secondary scoring to win the game. Sometimes it better to be lucky than good. White proved that tonight. Hakstol has them playing disciplined hockey.  The Caps must be so frustrated.  They are a much better team on paper and have blowout wins to show for it. But the last two games they've looked out of it.

Agree Howie. But 5-5 throughout the series we've been pretty decent. Who knows if we win the next one, but if the Flyers can remain disciplined and stop taking all the dumb penalties then we have a decent chance.

3 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Heck yea. I don't think Schenn is much of a fighter, but Oshie picked the wrong night at the wrong time and got his ass handed to him.

Nice scrap by Brayden kid has been impressive this series. really making it hard on the Caps.

15 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Brayden smash Oshie!!!!

the-avengers-angry-hulk-smash-loki.gif

This performance may lead to a real "deep structure" assessment of the goalie situation next year. We have a long way to go before both contracts end but this series tells us a lot about Neuvirth's character.  I don't see the guy as a 50 game starter--seems fragile.  But he may be a super-sub.  We wouldn't be her without Mason's play down the stretch but he may not be a wartime consigliere, to use a Godfather expression.  

Meanwhile, Trotz must be pooping bricks.  Losing a game with 40+ shots.  And winning faceoffs. . . . . yikes.

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This performance may lead to a real "deep structure" assessment of the goalie situation next year. We have a long way to go before both contracts end but this series tells us a lot about Neuvirth's character.  I don't see the guy as a 50 game starter--seems fragile.  But he may be a super-sub.  We wouldn't be her without Mason's play down the stretch but he may not be a wartime consigliere, to use a Godfather expression.  

Meanwhile, Trotz must be pooping bricks.  Losing a game with 40+ shots.  And winning faceoffs. . . . . yikes.

BITCH%20PLEASE_zpsrh3z4mxc.gif

some amusing posts from the Caps forum:  (enjoy it...because I certainly love the doom and gloom they now have! )

http://fans.capitals.nhl.com/community/topic/64826-capsflyers-game-5-thread-42216/page-14

• I think the Caps lose in 7 now. It just feels like it is going to happen. Neuvy'd
  • Don't be sad yet, Lil!  They've only begun to rip out yer heart.  On Sunday they will drag it through the mud and then Wednesday they will come to VC and stomp all over it. THEN you get to cry.
  • This could be the nadir for the franchise, as if all the blown two games leads weren't enough punishment. The Pens will close out the Rangers tomorrow, so even if the Caps find a way not to lose, Pens will be well rested
  • There isn't a Caps fan, a true fan, who's been with this for any amount of time, who expects to win this series right now.  I mean deep down where it really counts. You can say you think we will but deep down, in the places you don't really want to visit, you expect these guys to choke it away.  Doesn't matter if you get 77  or 14 or anybody else.  You wear this jersey and you fall prey to that gagging feeling when the games matter.  Sorry. Just speaking the truth.
  • Ah, the only saving grace -- we won't have to watch the Pens beat us. Great that they peak in April/May and we peak in December.

• We seemed rattled and they seemed confident.  The one goal they got should not have happened; we were weak and lazy on defense that shift and a lucky bounce got them a goal.

Philly was going 100% the whole damned game. We, not so  much.

EPIC LAZINESS WITH FLASHES OF BRILLIANT EFFORT!

Yes, Neuvirth was good, but WE made him look great!  We did not test him at all

• Death, Taxes, and a Caps playoff meltdown. Oy Vey!

• How many other teams have do you know of where you've heard the home team commentators repeatedly talking about players not giving 100%?   How is this a problem?  If you can't give 100% you go fυcking home. Period!  That what Alan May and Brent Johnson are talking about right now.  We hear this ALL THE TIME

• The Hockey Gods must have been reading these boards in the second and decided we weren't worthy

• Weclome Newbie!  Come wallow in the misery with us and your optimism will be blown right out the door.

• they lose in game 7 once again, this team is just garbage in playoffs. screw them

• mbayne, on 22 Apr 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Holy ****. Depends now makes undies that look like real undies. Gotta pick me up a few this weekend.

I think they are making them with the Caps logo -- that way you can crap yourself right along with the team!

• this team isn't sniffing any sort of stanley cup.. They just don't have that kind of killer instinct, unfortunately..

• So let me get this straight... we lost a game where we outshot our opponents 44-11. FORTY-FOUR TO E-F%&KING-LEVEN?!?!?!? And the only goal Holtby allows goes off our skate? How is this happening again? Was 2010 not enough of a sacrifice on the Hockey Altar Of Anguish? We ourscore them 12-2 in 3 games and now it's flipped 4-1? I know there are "runs" in games and series and things can flip back in a hurry and we might win Game 6 5-2 or something, but come ON!!! This it's getting ridiculous!

• The EPIC CHOKE COMETH

• Not going to watch Sunday.  Can't do it.  All it does is break my heart year after year.  Take the President's trophy and shove it all the way up yer asses one at a time boys!   We don't give a good god damn about that crappy piece of ****.

Jeez.  How do we wind up here all the time?  It just ain't fair.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

some amusing posts from the Caps forum:  (enjoy it...because I certainly love the doom and gloom they now have! )

http://fans.capitals.nhl.com/community/topic/64826-capsflyers-game-5-thread-42216/page-14

• I think the Caps lose in 7 now. It just feels like it is going to happen. Neuvy'd
  • Don't be sad yet, Lil!  They've only begun to rip out yer heart.  On Sunday they will drag it through the mud and then Wednesday they will come to VC and stomp all over it. THEN you get to cry.
  • This could be the nadir for the franchise, as if all the blown two games leads weren't enough punishment. The Pens will close out the Rangers tomorrow, so even if the Caps find a way not to lose, Pens will be well rested
  • There isn't a Caps fan, a true fan, who's been with this for any amount of time, who expects to win this series right now.  I mean deep down where it really counts. You can say you think we will but deep down, in the places you don't really want to visit, you expect these guys to choke it away.  Doesn't matter if you get 77  or 14 or anybody else.  You wear this jersey and you fall prey to that gagging feeling when the games matter.  Sorry. Just speaking the truth.
  • Ah, the only saving grace -- we won't have to watch the Pens beat us. Great that they peak in April/May and we peak in December.

• We seemed rattled and they seemed confident.  The one goal they got should not have happened; we were weak and lazy on defense that shift and a lucky bounce got them a goal.

Philly was going 100% the whole damned game. We, not so  much.

EPIC LAZINESS WITH FLASHES OF BRILLIANT EFFORT!

Yes, Neuvirth was good, but WE made him look great!  We did not test him at all

• Death, Taxes, and a Caps playoff meltdown. Oy Vey!

• How many other teams have do you know of where you've heard the home team commentators repeatedly talking about players not giving 100%?   How is this a problem?  If you can't give 100% you go fυcking home. Period!  That what Alan May and Brent Johnson are talking about right now.  We hear this ALL THE TIME

• The Hockey Gods must have been reading these boards in the second and decided we weren't worthy

• Weclome Newbie!  Come wallow in the misery with us and your optimism will be blown right out the door.

• they lose in game 7 once again, this team is just garbage in playoffs. screw them

• mbayne, on 22 Apr 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Holy ****. Depends now makes undies that look like real undies. Gotta pick me up a few this weekend.

I think they are making them with the Caps logo -- that way you can crap yourself right along with the team!

• this team isn't sniffing any sort of stanley cup.. They just don't have that kind of killer instinct, unfortunately..

• So let me get this straight... we lost a game where we outshot our opponents 44-11. FORTY-FOUR TO E-F%&KING-LEVEN?!?!?!? And the only goal Holtby allows goes off our skate? How is this happening again? Was 2010 not enough of a sacrifice on the Hockey Altar Of Anguish? We ourscore them 12-2 in 3 games and now it's flipped 4-1? I know there are "runs" in games and series and things can flip back in a hurry and we might win Game 6 5-2 or something, but come ON!!! This it's getting ridiculous!

• The EPIC CHOKE COMETH

• Not going to watch Sunday.  Can't do it.  All it does is break my heart year after year.  Take the President's trophy and shove it all the way up yer asses one at a time boys!   We don't give a good god damn about that crappy piece of ****.

Jeez.  How do we wind up here all the time?  It just ain't fair.

LOL...gotta love it. Both Caps fans are scared.  I especially enjoy this one ...Don't be sad yet, Lil!  They've only begun to rip out yer heart.  On Sunday they will drag it through the mud and then Wednesday they will come to VC and stomp all over it. THEN you get to cry.  

Yer Caps hearts are officially gettin' ripped out in yer own backyerd Wednesday night.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I feel momentum shifting......

Well, the Flyers better come out with a better performance in Game 6 for the momentum to really shift. Getting out shot 44-11 isn't a recipe for a comeback. That said, you have to wonder how much doubt/frustration is creeping in for the Caps players who have been there for previous failures.

So I had a prior engagement last night and didn't start watching the DVRd game until about 8:30.  I never got caught up to live, but I kept receiving texts and didn't look at them.  The way the flyers played with a 1 goal lead, I thought for sure those texts were about how the flyers are done...season over.  When I saw the empty netter I couldn't believe what I saw.

Three stars of the series - White, Neuvirth, Schenn.

Three duds - Jake, Mason, Giroux

The 4th line can't be the best line every night...that just doesn't happen.  I think Giroux might have some interest now that it's a series.  Hopefully we'll see a little games six penguins magic from him on sunday.

55 minutes ago, icehole said:

So I had a prior engagement last night and didn't start watching the DVRd game until about 8:30.  I never got caught up to live, but I kept receiving texts and didn't look at them.  The way the flyers played with a 1 goal lead, I thought for sure those texts were about how the flyers are done...season over.  When I saw the empty netter I couldn't believe what I saw.

Three stars of the series - White, Neuvirth, Schenn.

Three duds - Jake, Mason, Giroux

The 4th line can't be the best line every night...that just doesn't happen.  I think Giroux might have some interest now that it's a series.  Hopefully we'll see a little games six penguins magic from him on sunday.

Hopefully we see something offensive from him.  He's playing great defense and winning faceoffs and that doesn't go unnoticed on me but they are going to need points from Jake and G in game six (and seven). 

Archived