Dear Pittsburgh Penguins,

eleven24

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

...and yet they're still more talented than any band with members in their 20s and 30s that are out there.

Subjective FD. 

Though, I thoroughly enjoy some old school Metallica (anything pre-Black Album), I wouldn't go as far to say they are more talented than 20-30 year old bands. Must I remind you about St. Anger?

2 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Subjective FD. 

Though, I thoroughly enjoy some old school Metallica (anything pre-Black Album), I wouldn't go as far to say they are more talented than 20-30 year old bands. Must I remind you about St. Anger?

Every band has had a "stinker". Same with Reload. Even a band considered by many to be the best of all-time, Led Zeppelin, had one with Coda.

10 hours ago, FD19372 said:

It'll be awesome dethroning the defending champs...again in 2016-17 after Kessel comes into next season's training camp 100 lbs. overweight.

As long as he plays every game and challenges for the scoring lead he can be as fat as he wants.  We'll take it.  He's brought us one game away from the Cup... 

As painful as tomorrow night most likely will be to watch (I just threw up in my mouth thinking of Crosby hoisting the cup again), I truly believe that our time is fast approaching.  We have young, highly touted prospects on their way up this year and probably a couple more in the coming years.  This team seems to be on an upward trajectory and maybe by the time they are ready to contend, Pitt and the Caps will be on the downward trend.  To be honest, I thought Pitt was trending down already and all of a sudden they get a boost from these little known players and a new coach, so you never know when things can turn around.  Even the Flyers showed that this year with their improbable run into the playoffs.

Eventually, our friendly Pens fans will be feeling this same crappy feeling when the Flyers are one win away from the Cup.  Not there yet though :rage:

2 hours ago, Adamflyers said:

As painful as tomorrow night most likely will be to watch (I just threw up in my mouth thinking of Crosby hoisting the cup again), I truly believe that our time is fast approaching.  We have young, highly touted prospects on their way up this year and probably a couple more in the coming years.  This team seems to be on an upward trajectory and maybe by the time they are ready to contend, Pitt and the Caps will be on the downward trend.  To be honest, I thought Pitt was trending down already and all of a sudden they get a boost from these little known players and a new coach, so you never know when things can turn around.  Even the Flyers showed that this year with their improbable run into the playoffs.

Eventually, our friendly Pens fans will be feeling this same crappy feeling when the Flyers are one win away from the Cup.  Not there yet though :rage:

We all go through ups and downs, and the Pens have had more than a fair share of downs.  You guys have had some ups as well, but for a long time now those have always fallen short.  For the Flyers fans here I like, I wish you success.  For the Flyers themselves, I hope they never win a single game again let alone the Cup.  ;)  That's always the rub isn't it?  You wish well for good people, but you hate the enemy at the same time.   LOL 

4 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

We all go through ups and downs, and the Pens have had more than a fair share of downs.  You guys have had some ups as well, but for a long time now those have always fallen short.  For the Flyers fans here I like, I wish you success.  For the Flyers themselves, I hope they never win a single game again let alone the Cup.  ;)  That's always the rub isn't it?  You wish well for good people, but you hate the enemy at the same time.   LOL 

Sharks in 7!:5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

17 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

you know what it is, your gm is not afraid to add experience players that's why they are always contending every year,  for us i mean before 2010, homer was never afraid to add experience players, that's why we were always contending in 2007-2010, after 2010 season, homer went backwards and started relying on inexperience players and the team went backwards as well. as much as the young players like crosby and malkin get the credit for the cups, it's more of the fact the experience players played a big part of the success in 09 and possibly 2016.

9 minutes ago, briere48 said:

you know what it is, your gm is not afraid to add experience players that's why they are always contending every year,  for us i mean before 2010, homer was never afraid to add experience players, that's why we were always contending in 2007-2010, after 2010 season, homer went backwards and started relying on inexperience players and the team went backwards as well. as much as the young players like crosby and malkin get the credit for the cups, it's more of the fact the experience players played a big part of the success in 09 and possibly 2016.

This is a joke? Right? I mean it has to be. Either that or you have been living under a rock for the last 30 years. 

The Flyers brass always added the supposed super talent that would get them over the "hump", but it never worked out. Then they were handcuffed with their own salary cap hell and couldn't afford to add a duster let alone super star talent. 

Had Ron Hextall traded away pics and prospects to lock up Phil Kessel, the fans would have had his head on a stake. The course Hextall is taking the team is refreshing and it will pay dividends in a few season. Trust me, they will be a powerhouse when the Washington, Pittsburgh's and Rangers of the Metro are scrambling to rebuild. 

29 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Had Ron Hextall traded away pics and prospects to lock up Phil Kessel, the fans would have had his head on a stake. The course Hextall is taking the team is refreshing and it will pay dividends in a few season. Trust me, they will be a powerhouse when the Washington, Pittsburgh's and Rangers of the Metro are scrambling to rebuild. 

it sounds like it's all about ron hextall's beliefs and not doing what other teams have been doing to win cups. you would rather keep all the inexperienced young players because of vet/experience player bias and keep failing every year until these what if young players will guarantee superstar status and even if that fails, you are going to defend the philly failure of winning championships even if it reaches 60 years because you hate veteran players.

43 minutes ago, briere48 said:

I think it's more his pursuit of speed.  Hagelin, Kessel, Daley... Bringing up Rust and Sheary.  These are the players making the difference. Add that to the youth on defense, the speed of Crosby and Letang.  There's a great combination there.  

19 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

Did I hear a LET'S GO PENS!

1 hour ago, briere48 said:

it sounds like it's all about ron hextall's beliefs and not doing what other teams have been doing to win cups. you would rather keep all the inexperienced young players because of vet/experience player bias and keep failing every year until these what if young players will guarantee superstar status and even if that fails, you are going to defend the philly failure of winning championships even if it reaches 60 years because you hate veteran players.

Show me one solid case where "renting/buying" a cup worked in the Flyers behalf. 

Kessel is not the reason why the Pens are on the verge of their 4th cup. He certainly helped, but he is not the sole reason. 

Kessel would not have landed the Flyers a Cup and probably would have costed a few high picks, Ghost, Samhein, etc. 

You have to look at the big picture here. The Pens have great star power that was organically grown, a great cast of youth, a goalie that came out of nowhere, and a hell of a coach, that is why they made the move. Essentially they were one to two pieces away; the Flyers sadly are not. This potential cup for the Penguins is more of an outlier than destiny. Think if Fleury doesn't get hurt, more than likely TB would be in the finals again.

21 hours ago, Adamflyers said:

Careful there. "Fast approaching" is at least 3-4 years away.  The Flyers have an incredible stable of defense prospects but it takes time for them to get to the point where they can anchor a Cup-contending team.  The Pens were in the exact same situation 3-4 years ago with Maatta, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington and Morrow.  The "D of the future". 

The biggest contributor of that bunch has been Dumoulin who has emerged as a sold shut down (but capable puck moving) d-man who fits real nice into that 5-6 pairing...and he was the least touted of them all.  Harrington and Morrow were dealt and neither has amounted to much so far. Pouliot - the most highly touted of the bunch - has been slow to develop and was passed over for Justin Schultz when Daley went down.  Maatta has been good (lately) when healthy but really had an off year.  Granted - all are still young (none over 23). Point is 3-4 years ago they were comparable to what the Flyers have now and look where they are today.  

47 minutes ago, B21 said:

Careful there. "Fast approaching" is at least 3-4 years away.  The Flyers have an incredible stable of defense prospects but it takes time for them to get to the point where they can anchor a Cup-contending team.  The Pens were in the exact same situation 3-4 years ago with Maatta, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington and Morrow.  The "D of the future". 

The biggest contributor of that bunch has been Dumoulin who has emerged as a sold shut down (but capable puck moving) d-man who fits real nice into that 5-6 pairing...and he was the least touted of them all.  Harrington and Morrow were dealt and neither has amounted to much so far. Pouliot - the most highly touted of the bunch - has been slow to develop and was passed over for Justin Schultz when Daley went down.  Maatta has been good (lately) when healthy but really had an off year.  Granted - all are still young (none over 23). Point is 3-4 years ago they were comparable to what the Flyers have now and look where they are today.  

Of course there are no guarantees in sports, but it's impossible to tell how long it will take for any players to come into their own.  Never in a million years did I think that Ghost would have made the impact that he did so early on.  Granted, teams learned how to slow him down a bit, which will continue into next year, but it will be up to him to adjust.  Right now, Proverov, Sanheim and Morin are total unknowns at the NHL level.  You can make all the comparisons you want, but it will ultimately be up to how NHL ready each guy is and how long they will need to develop in the NHL.  So I stand by my "fast approaching".  I am not saying it will be next year or the year after.  My mind is on 3 years and that's not even to say that they will be hoisting the cup in 3 years, but rather showing that they are real contenders that need just one more thing to bring it all together.  A lot depends on what Hexy can to add offensive depth and a true finisher when he has the ability to do so.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Dumoulin who has emerged as a sold shut down (but capable puck moving) d-man who fits real nice into that 5-6 pairing

I think he's been one of the better defensmen for the Pens in these playoffs. He has made superbly timed and effective pinches that have led to goals in several games i've seen.  He's not been on the score sheet officially but his play , cutting off an outlet pass, pinching and keeping a clearing attempt have been just what the doctor ordered.  He has been really effective imo.

Archived