Capitals choke again!

Think that's bad Pilldoc? That’s nothing,  here’s the twitter feed from a Russian sports writer, Slava Malamud(@slavamalamud), after the game last night.   Talk about someone who has some issues. Its broken up over 18 twitter posts.

A rant is coming. No trolling, all serious, 15 years of covering Caps speaking. Still, sensitive #Caps fans may want to pre-unfollow.

1/ #Caps problems extend beyond a bad def pair, an underperforming goalie. The failure is endemic and systematic. It’s the result of choices
2/ fanboy owner Leonsis made in 2004 when he decided his business model would be not building a winner but servicing a marketable megastar.
3/ There’s nothing wrong with building a team around a star, but it has to be the right kind of star. Ovi just isn’t the “win first” type.
4/ I’ve known Ovi since he was 17. Kid was born with a silverware set in his mouth. Always told he is the greatest, teammates must be worthy
5/ but his demands on himself stay the same. He’s not the bloodied inspirational leader. He is the tousled-hair sexy charismatic ruffian.
6/ Yes, he’s the NHL’s favorite stripper who’s been giving the hockey world a lap dance for 13 years. (Something that shouldn’t repeated was here)
7/ (Something that shouldn’t repeated was here)You need to face the truth: the Caps personality-cult culture is counterproductive to winning the cup.'
8/ Fueled by innumerable fanboy blogs and media whipped into terrified subservience by CapsPR, the culture feeds on self, kills all dissent,
9/ and spurns all criticism. You know, Caps fans, that despite all the issues Oates and Hunter had, your main problem w/ them was trying to
10/ turn Ovi into a man of the system. You hate that. You want your boy toy wild and free. Everyone wants this of Ovi, even RUS coaches.
11/ Compare this to Crosby who will take any role on CAN w/o complaint. You call 87 a whiner, but who whined the loudest during the lockout,
12/ threatening to stay in the KHL? Who whines now, threatening to leave the league to get an Olympic trinket? While Leonsis bends over
13/ backwards to satisfy all his ridiculous demands. This is a guy who looks out for himself and his public image (Wild and Sexy Rebel,
14/ Patriot of Motherland). His only interest in the Cup is how his reflection will look in it. Problem is, Leonsis has the same priorities.
15/ He has dissolved himself and the team in Ovechkin’s 13-year-long marketing campaign. It worked out great financially. The price to pay

16/ is being humiliated every year by real winners. Congrats, Caps, you've sold lots of t-shirts. Congrats, Caps fans, you've been had.
17/ Oh, and that sound you’ve just heard is your window of opportunity slamming shut. I hope this wild ride on the Charisma Train was fun.
18/ Rant out. Enjoy your Redskins mini camp.

Me thinks he's a little bitter.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, nossagog said:

/ Yes, he’s the NHL’s favorite stripper who’s been giving the hockey world a lap dance for 13 years.

8 minutes ago, nossagog said:

born with a silverware set in his mouth

LOL ... those are some classic quotes .... LOL

It is quite hysterical reading some of the post series ranting of Cap fans.  1/4of the fan base wants to severe all ties with Ovie, 1/4 f the fan base wants to keep him and the other 1/2  of the fan base has no clue because they are fair weather fans.

this twitter rant reminds me of the rant Mike Milbury had some years ago (2013) about Ovie.

Now I know it is not all Ovie's fault for the Caps losing AGAIN in the playoffs.  However, he and the rest of his teammates need to take a hard look at themselves. 

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

It seems like he is like Phil Kessel was in Toronto! Maybe there is to much pressure on him to produce that the supporting cast isn't supporting him enough! 

There are players in the NHL that do one thing very well. Ovechkin and Kessel are both great at scoring goals. However, when they're not scoring goals, they become a liability to their team because they sulk and whine in the dressing room, get coaches fired, and they don't do the little things to help the team win (ie: defence). That's the difference between players like these and a player like Crosby. Crosby can elevate the players around him with his play while Ovechkin needs someone that can elevate him (ie: get him the puck so he can score). 

:)

29 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Now I know it is not all Ovie's fault for the Caps losing AGAIN in the playoffs.  However, he and the rest of his teammates need to take a hard look at themselves. 

Its not all Ovechkins fault for them losing...and it's never his fault his team wins...anything.  The guy is on the losing end of every important game he ever plays. And a big part of it is his total lack of commitment to do anything it takes to win. 

44 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

There are players in the NHL that do one thing very well. Ovechkin and Kessel are both great at scoring goals. However, when they're not scoring goals, they become a liability to their team because they sulk and whine in the dressing room, get coaches fired, and they don't do the little things to help the team win (ie: defence). That's the difference between players like these and a player like Crosby. Crosby can elevate the players around him with his play while Ovechkin needs someone that can elevate him (ie: get him the puck so he can score). 

:)

Fixed. :DancingGrape:

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

I think the debate is forever over by their head to head playoff comparison.   This should have been the Caps year. No Murray. No Letang.   Daley out for last two games. Caps stocked.    Picture below must be how Caps fans feel. 

oviebrown.jpg

Good one! So I see you have Sid wearing the Penguins alternate jersey. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Its not all Ovechkins fault for them losing...and it's never his fault his team wins...anything.  The guy is on the losing end of every important game he ever plays. And a big part of it is his total lack of commitment to do anything it takes to win. 

I think its the optics sometimes that really affect opinions of Ovechkin.  The whole "controller disconnected" attitude of defensive play sometimes.  He had moments where he was hustling and back checking in yesterday's game that made you think "Well he finally understands".  Then there are times like Rusts goal where he's part of the cause of the turnover trying to exit the zone and then floats back behind Rust as Rust drives for the net.   To late he realizes he screwed up and tries a few weak slashes from behind. Ooops.      And even on Hornqvists goal, he gives up the puck and doesn't get back to help the defense.    This in a must win game. 

Saying it was a big game is understating the obvious.   And he was -2 and partially at fault on both of the Pens goals.  Its easy to pick on him after the fact, but when you have that reputation of being lazy on defense and not coming up big in big games, THEN you go out and do it again, well sometimes past performance is actually a good predictor of future results.  

Ovechkins play = Caps elimin8ed

I actually feel for Caps fans, even if I can't stand many of them.   To put your heart into a team that consistently underachieves has to be hell. This was supposed to be their moment to shine, but it turned into a "Same old Caps" moment instead. 

18 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I think its the optics sometimes that really affect opinions of Ovechkin.  The whole "controller disconnected" attitude of defensive play sometimes.  He had moments where he was hustling and back checking in yesterday's game that made you think "Well he finally understands".  Then there are times like Rusts goal where he's part of the cause of the turnover trying to exit the zone and then floats back behind Rust as Rust drives for the net.   To late he realizes he screwed up and tries a few weak slashes from behind. Ooops.      And even on Hornqvists goal, he gives up the puck and doesn't get back to help the defense.    This in a must win game. 

Saying it was a big game is understating the obvious.   And he was -2 and partially at fault on both of the Pens goals.  Its easy to pick on him after the fact, but when you have that reputation of being lazy on defense and not coming up big in big games, THEN you go out and do it again, well sometimes past performance is actually a good predictor of future results.  

Ovechkins play = Caps elimin8ed

I actually feel for Caps fans, even if I can't stand many of them.   To put your heart into a team that consistently underachieves has to be hell. This was supposed to be their moment to shine, but it turned into a "Same old Caps" moment instead. 

Your description of Ovechkin isn't just from the Pens series...it's every series... in the NHL, or Olympics, or WJs that I've seen him in. 

People got "wowed" by his big shot and his big hits. I admit he makes the highlight reels...he's great at that. What he isn't great at is putting a team on his back and winning. Been saying that since he was a teenager.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Here are some wonderful reactions from Cap fans after last night loss .... (enjoy! :VeryCool:)

• Honestly, I'm so depressed right now, if the Swedish Bikini Team kicked in my hotel door and demand a day-long orgy, I'm completely certain I wouldn't enjoy it, and, in fact, I might not even agree to it.

• That has to be the most depressing, frustrating PAINFUL loss. Lazy Alex Ovechkin, and god-awful Kevin Shattenkirk allowed Hornqvists second "floater" backhand, which surprised Holtby!  That was the nail in the coffin.
  • Caps will never get to the conference finals or the Cup with Lazy Alex Ovechkin as the captain.  He is lazy, only plays when he feels like it and does only two things well... really well: (1) big slapshot from the top of the circle on power plays (2) hits big when the opponent is not looking.  He does those two things well and everything else is AVERAGE.... he is so overrated and should NOT be the captain.  He is lazy, picks his spots and is NOT inspiring... just a stupid playboy who loves life off the ice more than winning.... lazy Russian!
  • God, Ovi looked heartbroken.  I mean literally like death-in-the-family heartbroken.
  • This year had to be different. They had everything. But not winning 1 game home was a disaster. And to be honest, somewhat, I was expecting them to be stressed like in the early games.  But this is the most heartbreaking loss ever to me. Before , we always had some minor problems in different positions, but now this is a complete team who struggled in the net. I think the goalie was the main difference and THAT WAS NOT EXPECTED. So this is by far the MOST DIFFICULT and PAINFUL loss.... To see Holtz struggling since the start of the series was a surprise.
  • ...think i'm gonna throw up.
  • I don't even care anymore.  There is no excuse for the crap play we saw tonight. I'll say it again; these guys simply did not bring it.  They should have been hitting the entire game. They should have been intimidating the smaller Hens.  They should have remembered how to pass, hit the puck without fanning, pass the puck without turning it over repeatedly, and they should know how to shoot the puck without over-passing.  Well surprise, they know how to do this. We know they know, but for some damned reason all that went out the window because
  • THEY CHOKED!  THEY HAVE NO HEART!!  I hope the Pens win the cup again. I despise them, but am getting to hate this core group of Caps even more. I want their stupid, lazy faces rubbed in it.......AGAIN
  •  Blow it all up. I want a totally new team next year. All new players, new coaching staff, new GM. None of these losers deserve to stay in Washington. **** this team. I don't want to hear about how Pitt is a good team. I don't want to hear about how good MAF was. Caps choked, plain and simple. They couldn't get it up when they needed to the most. They couldn't ******* play for each other, knowing that this was their biggest opportunity to win a Cup, knowing that many would have to part ways after the off season. **** this team. Ovie and Backy should get shipped to a team that actually gives a ****. Holtby should go, he sucked massive ***** left and right all series long. Everyone else should go. Trotz should go, he can't coach in the playoffs for ****. **** this.  How the **** can you play in a game ******* 7, knowing this is your ONE SHOT to win the Cup, and play like ****? How do you not come out steamrolling every Penguin in sight?
  • I should have known better than to think they'd do anything other than soil their drawers tonight.
  •  I'm done and I mean truly done. Over 30 years of this. This franchise is cursed and is simply NEVER going to win. They just aren't. Can make up every excuse or reason in the world. Can build and rebuilt and retool. Can hire any coach, GM you want. Will NEVER matter......this franchise will NEVER win.
  •  The Washington Capitals are losers, pure and simple.  Anything else complicates the facts/reality.
  • No Stanley Cup since.... George Washington.... Never out of the Eastern Conference, despite having the most prolific scorer and best goalies in the NHL.... traded for the so-called best defenseman in 2017 - Shiitenttenkirk...traded for Oshiit.... traded for Justin 'I'm over the hill" Williams.... stupid trade for Niskanen and Oprick who yielded nothing but overpaid defensemen.... .... what else?
  • Anyway, the RESULTS say it all. Caps are done.  Sorry to say, but that is the BITTER REALITY.  I can't sugar coat the GAME SEVEN LOSS.... AGAIN!!!!! [and again and again and again!]
  • I wonder what heartbreaking way they would have beat us if they'd managed to trade fluery at the deadline?
  • The Caps - The nightmare that you never wake up from.
  • Heart.... Penguins have it ....Caps, well they have it when they lose....more
  • Our goal next season is to win our 3rd consecutive President's Cup. Yipeeeee! That's called sarcasm, Caps fans…The President's Cup = a golf tournament, so....
  • Death.......... Taxes.......... Another CHOKE JOB by the Crapitals

As much as I despise the Pens, I have to say that this does warm the cockles of my heart! :lovethis:

Here's a destination for him: Pittsburgh. :thumbsu:Then he doesn't have to have the C, can just be what he is now, a secondary piece and a sniper. Then he can have his last shot at the Cup and then retire and head off to the Urals.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Here's a destination for him: Pittsburgh. :thumbsu:Then he doesn't have to have the C, can just be what he is now, a secondary piece and a sniper. Then he can have his last shot at the Cup and then retire and head off to the Urals.

No thanks.  Sullivan has a team, and even Kessel, playing a team defensive game.  Just like a maid that doesn't do windows, Ovie doesn't do defense. 

Archived