Stamkos, Weber and P K Suban are off the Market

47 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Well, it wasn't like we were after them anyway.

Surprised Stamkos settled for so little. He could have made much more on Friday. Either he's scared about his injury or he must have truly wanted to stay. 

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Surprised Stamkos settled for so little. He could have made much more on Friday. Either he's scared about his injury or he must have truly wanted to stay. 

i think he wants to win and wants to have guys around to help him do that.  This contract will allow for that to happen.

I mean really 8 + million dollars a year for 8 years, he is set for life, already. Before signing this deal, to me this seems like message sending to his mates, i'm all in, you can get yours too... lets win.  Any more money than that is ego stroking, Good for him. Good for the Bolts.  I will enjoy watching our guys beat them to claim supremacy  of the east after they wrestle it from the Pens.

24 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He will not be paying flordia income taxes. That adds up to a lot of money when you make that much. Make 8.5 in Florida is like making 12 in new york

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

i think he wants to win and wants to have guys around to help him do that.  This contract will allow for that to happen.

I mean really 8 + million dollars a year for 8 years, he is set for life, already. Before signing this deal, to me this seems like message sending to his mates, i'm all in, you can get yours too... lets win.  Any more money than that is ego stroking, Good for him. Good for the Bolts.  I will enjoy watching our guys beat them to claim supremacy  of the east after they wrestle it from the Pens.

Makes me like him more. 

7 minutes ago, vonginous said:

He will not be paying flordia income taxes. That adds up to a lot of money when you make that much. Make 8.5 in Florida is like making 12 in new york

Why wont he be paying income tax?

Just now, vonginous said:

it's a bit overstated. Top marginal bracket in NY is 8.82%, so under a million on a $10 million salary.

Just now, King Knut said:

Makes me like him more. 

Why wont he be paying income tax?

Florida doesn't have a state income tax. It's one reason it's a popular retirement destination.

10 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Can't believe the Preds traded Weber after all that.

I can!  Clarkie screwed them into an atrocious deal!  

I just can't believe the Habs took him. 

Weber's to be worth most of that deal for a while but Subban was a real fixture in that city. Extremely well loved.  I'm kinda shocked from that regard.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I can!  Clarkie screwed them into an atrocious deal!  

actually it was Homer.  ....Homer's gift to the Preds and now to the Habs..the gift that keeps on giving!  Welcome to contract hell! :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss: 

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

actually it was Homer.  ....Homer's gift to the Preds and now to the Habs..the gift that keeps on giving!  Welcome to contract hell! :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss: 

Yeah now in hindsight would you trade Morin, Sanheim, Provorov and Rubtsov for Weber??? So glad that didn't work out.........:572958dd97de9_hithead:

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah now in hindsight would you trade Morin, Sanheim, Provorov and Rubtsov for Weber??? So glad that didn't work out.........:572958dd97de9_hithead:

i just posted this in the other thread....with hindsight being 20/20...there is NO WAY I want Weber.....

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/revisiting-the-shea-weber-offer-sheet/

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

i just posted this in the other thread....with hindsight being 20/20...there is NO WAY I want Weber.....

HA i hadn't seen that i just was thinking back to what the compensation would have been so someone was already ahead of me...nice...thanks Dave Poile!!! 

37 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Sorry you're obviously absolutely right. Had  Clarkie on my brain after the Lindros discussions.  My bad!

10 hours ago, AJgoal said:

it's a bit overstated. Top marginal bracket in NY is 8.82%, so under a million on a $10 million salary.

Yes, (I didnt look up the exact rate) but it's still creeping up on a million more plus the city taxes adds to that. My guess is he was looking 8.5 from Tampa and at least 9.5 anywhere else. And that is not the "hometown discount".  It's the, "I'll be making around 7 million + more over the term of the contract" discount.  

Point is, he will make a lot more if he sighed in Tampa, Dallas, and next year, Las Vagas. 

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

Sorry you're obviously absolutely right. Had  Clarkie on my brain after the Lindros discussions.  My bad!

No worries all is good......:toast:

Correct me if I am wrong, but since the Weber deal was front loaded, doesn't Nashville have to pay a good chunk of change on his contract? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong. 

Just now, Bertmega said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but since the Weber deal was front loaded, doesn't Nashville have to pay a good chunk of change on his contract? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong. 

Nashville has paid him $56 million of $110 million total for just four years. The numbers decrease from $12 million this year and next (real cash) to $1 million each of the last three.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Nashville has paid him $56 million of $110 million total for just four years. The numbers decrease from $12 million this year and next (real cash) to $1 million each of the last three.

So basically since it was front loaded they paid too much of it up front? But they are not on the hook for anymore money to him? 

If that is the case, I guess it sucks that they invested too much up front, but getting Subban may be all worth it. 

24 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am happy the Sabres did not sell the farm to go after Stamkos.  He is too injury prone and streaky.  I never wanted him as I do not like the guy.  I do not feel one way or the other really.  Was not excited about the prospect of a money war that he would have created on our team.  We have the guys we need for the future.  Sure we can use more but on D more and a goalie.

Sure you can say that in hindsight, but if they did manage to sign him, we'd all be subjected to your lame-ass "plan the parade" posts. 

11 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Just read through it. Crazy!!

Weber OR Morin, Sanheim, Provorov, and Rubstov?

That was a franchise turning point.

40 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Sure you can say that in hindsight, but if they did manage to sign him, we'd all be subjected to your lame-ass "plan the parade" posts. 

Instead we will now be subject to at least half a dozen "I wish the Sabres would bring back Miller" posts.

Archived