Sabres sign Okposo to 7 year deal

Buffalo Rick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am surprised he did not wind up in Philly.  They like his type of goon type players.

First of all ... thank god Homer is no longer in control of this team.  There was NO WAY Hexy was gonna sign Lucic.  IF you pay attention to salary caps there was no way Hexy was going to hand out that king of coin for an older player.  Not going to happen. 

No as far as your 2nd erroneous statement.  The Broad Street Bullies are over 35+ years old now.  In case you haven't noticed (and I know that all you do is assume)...the Flyers don't play goon hockey anymore...they haven't in years.

Luke Schenn was #25 in Fighting Majors last year before he was traded.  The next closest player was Simmer at #31.  You better get your facts right first before making general comments about that.

In 2014 ..Zac Rinaldo was the closest the Flyers had in a goon and he was only #15.  Matter of fact your boy Christ Stewart had more Major Penalties than Zac did.  Zac then got himself traded to Boston.

Lets go back to the 13-14 season.  Ok Zac was #5 on the list for Major Penalties, but your boy John Scott was at #13 and only had 2 less Major Penalties than Zac.

in 2015-16 the Flyers had 30 Majors vs Buffalo 23.  (not that much of a difference)

in 2014-15 the Sabres had 33 Majors vs Flyers 31 (again statistically almost even)

In 2013-14 th Flyers had 46 Majors vs Buffalo 39 (again not that much of a difference)

My point.....you better look at the statistics before making such uninformed comments.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

First of all ... thank god Homer is no longer in control of this team.  There was NO WAY Hexy was gonna sign Lucic

Yeah, you just know if Homer was still head puppeteer that he'd have been in line at the feeder bar for both Lucic and Okposo.  At the expense of our defensive prospects--if they hadn't been traded as picks to begin with.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

You know if Homer was still head puppeteer that he'd have been in line at the feeder bar for both Lucic and Okposo.  At the expense of our defensive prospects--if they hadn't been traded as picks to begin with.

Exactly!  All Homer did was play the ole' Catch-22 circle game.  I have #NoDoubtHomerSignsEveryone, that the Flyers would have BOTH Lucic and Okposo if Homer was still in charge.  Thanks god cooler and #StopTheMadness, Hexy has the brains to just say no and move on.  I agree, Okposo, while it may be a short term solution will eventually bite the Sabres in their collective rears because of the size and length of that contract. 

Not to beat a dead horse, but the NHL Channel is funny to me.   It's great to listen to.  I do it myself.  And it's really fun when your team does something and they sit there and applaud it.  

And it sucks if your team does something (trade Richards/Carter and sign Bryz) and they bash it...even when you secretly agree (Bryz, in particular).  

But they really are ultimately just fan boys that are wrong as much as they're right.   Not because they say something I disagree with.  It's just hindsight down the road eventually proves them right or wrong.  Lucky for them, by then no one remembers what they'd said.   I'm just saying I predict they're wrong this time.  They're simply looking at shiney.

And, by the way, I'm not a huge fan of Lucic.  I probably dislike him less than some here, but I'm not a fan.  But even with that being said, I think the Oilers made a very similar mistake to Buffalo.  And most of the commentators seemed to like that move as well.  But the commentators are only looking at "these players were the best available and these teams got them" and then looking at the shiny huge contract.  "It's big.  It must be good!"   

But the secret, as we as Flyers fans and I think some other teams have learned, it isn't about "this is the best available."  It's "Is this year's best the best idea for the ultimate success of our team."  In other words, does this match the progression of my team and will it help when help is needed the most.   If not, put the cash back in your pocket and wait for the next year's model.   Go get something more compatible with your need right NOW and make sure the terms are only for NOW.    

Seems rational.  That's probably why it's being argued against by some.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

It's "Is this year's best the best idea for the ultimate success of our team."  In other words, does this match the progression of my team and will it help when help is needed the most

Spot on!  It's like going back a few years ago when the Flyers had their "get out of jail free card" and was able to dump Bryzaster :56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM: .  What do the Flyers do then.....they go out and sign the "shiny new toy" in VLC.  VLC had NO business being on this team.  Besides taking up valuable cap space, it blocked, IMO the development of other players.  Vinny was NOT a fit for the Flyers at that time nor anytime for the Flyers, yet Homer went and got him anyway and promptly put themselves back in cap hell.

I agree with you ..both Lucic and Okposo fall into this category.  Maybe some short term success, but nothing to help long term. 

On 7/6/2016 at 7:45 AM, AJgoal said:

Very much this. If Buffalo had held off, then next year they can look at the free agent goalies and see about adding a Bishop, Bernier, Pavelic, or Miller - though Miller might be a bit too old for the Sabres to "grow into him" as it were. Heck, in 2018 Halak and Price are both UFA if they get there. Then in 2017 or 2018 you can evaluate where your team is in development and try to pick up a James Neal or Patrick Horqvist, or a Vlasic if you're in need of a top-end player, or just fill in your bottom six with good role players. Grabbing one of the best available free agents just because you can isn't usually the best approach. I can't tell you the last team that really competed for the Cup thanks to a splashy UFA signing.

Vlasic signs long term team discount deals early and will never be near free agency

On 7/2/2016 at 10:56 PM, Samifan said:

So the rebuild is close to complete with the exception of fixing the Goalie

Yeah maybe i would be impressed if they actually had a goalie....

On July 9, 2016 at 1:01 PM, ruxpin said:

I'm not being a wise guy.  I'm perfectly serious in my posts.   Whether I'm ultimately right or wrong, time will tell, but I'm perfectly serious.  Just expressing my opinion on a really dumb signing.  Aside from what you heard from some talking heads that are wrong more often than they're right, what do YOU know about Okposo that you're basing your opinion on?  I mean from firsthand watching or even stat-watching.  Tell us please, oh #NeverRightGuy.

I'll await your nonsensical reply. 

Who the hell are you to day its a dumb signing when everyone in the media on the major networks say its the top two signing of free agency.  I am not going to listen to Teddy Ruxpin the Flyer fan no way

16 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Who the hell are you to day its a dumb signing when everyone in the media on the major networks say its the top two signing of free agency.  I am not going to listen to Teddy Ruxpin the Flyer fan no way

He's just some yahoo on a message board flapping his gums. 

Just like you.

56 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I waited three days for that nonsensical reply.  Well done.

Back to topic, and putting aside the amount and length of contract, how does Kyle Okposo fit into the Sabres lineup?

Here are some possible combinations for the top two lines in Buffalo:

C-Ryan O'Reilly, LW-Evander Kane, RW-Kyle Okposo

C-Jack Eichel,  LW-Brian Gionta, RW-Matt Moulson

This assumes O'Reilly is viewed as the 1C (if not, then perhaps flip him and Eichel), and it assumes Kane stays healthy and that Gionta has anything left in the tank.

The Sabres have a GLUT of centers, some of which I would assume would play wing...but which ones, and will they be as effective at wing?

Reinhart and Girgensons are the most notable centers who may have to shift to wing.

Looking at this, the O'Reilly (or Eichel), Kane, Okposo line seems like a very formidable top line......again, assuming there are no injuries...but after that, does the 2C have enough at wing to help spread opposing defenses thin so they can't stack the D against the top line?

If not, then Okposo may find himself in the SAME spot as he was in Brooklyn alongside John Tavares: meaning he faces the opposition's best shut down lines and shut down D, forcing Okposo to step up his game and play like a true top line winger.

Not saying Okposo can't do it......but I am thinking, Tavares is considered an elite center.  If Okposo didn't 'step up' his game then with better consistency, how will he do it with relatively 'lesser' (and I don't use that term to discredit O'Reilly or Eichel...Tavares is simply more established and proven) centers?

This is why many may see the Okposo signing as 'too much too soon'.

Even with Okposo playing well, it leaves the Sabres with an excellent top line, maybe a good 2nd line, then the usual bottom six grinder types......Buffalo could have gotten that with a lesser priced winger or seeing what their younger players such as Reinhart and Girgensons have learned since last season at the same positions.

Either way, unless the stars align just right for the Sabres, this Okposo signing certainly improves their lineup, but it hardly makes them bonafide contenders..........unless of course, Okposo proves himself to be something he has yet to do: and that is be a complete beast at wing and not suffer through extended slumps like he did playing alongside an elite 1C like John Tavares.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You went there.

:hockey-penalty-box-smiley-emoticon:

Hey, she said "bonus sized" first! And then I was stupid, you know, like English pig with no brains.

And now I sit in the box, and I feel shame.

@tropicalfruitgirl26

Well said .pretty much sums up what I'm saying ,but I'm just spewing garbage.   Funny, because it's nearly exactly what I was told when I said the Leino signing was a disaster the day he was signed (despite talking heads loving the signing). 

I don't know whether you're a "Yahette."   I have no idea what that is. 

@radoran

LOL... Monty Python and Slapshot clips all within 2 post of each other..well done! :goodjob:

Now back to topic as @TropicalFruitGirl26 suggested...

Look I don't know how Okposo is gonna play out in Sabreland.  My major beef with the signing is that despite playing with Tavres, Okposo went MIA for major stretches at a time.  How is he gonna fair in Buffalo.  I think @TropicalFruitGirl26 absolutely nailed it with her post.  It all depends on which line Okposo lines up on and we won't know that until preseason roles around.  But with the amount of coin he is receiving, he better produce or there may be many of Sabre fans driving Lumina's and throwing raw halibut on the ice showing their displeasure.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know whether you're a "Yahette."   I have no idea what that is. 

maybe another word for "Yeti ..the abominable snowman" ? .....hmm  maybe I should not go down this road..........:572958dc408d9_shakeshead:

https://scanbox.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/yeti.jpg

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

maybe another word for "Yeti" ? .....hmm  maybe I should not go down this road..........:572958dc408d9_shakeshead:

Yeah, don't go down there. It's dark and there may be a Yahette. 

And if you're carrying paste and see some guy sitting in a lumina, RUN.  He'll try to steal it from you to eat it. (I hear it even tastes better if dabbed on while licking windows).  

Archived