Sabres sign Okposo to 7 year deal

Buffalo Rick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Murray has found a guy for our top lines in Okposo.  Kyle pulled in $42 Million for 7 years.   Bring on the Love

Will Eichel surpass ROR on the top line this season? If so, who plays with Okposo?

56 minutes ago, ezlot76 said:

Id have taken him with the Panthers. But I guess we were to busy locking up a backup goalie for to much money. Good sign I believe.

You have a budding Power forward in Lawson Crouse.

Reimer is good enough to be a starter and Luongo is getting old.

Cheer up :)

Yeah I really like Crouse but a Okposo wouldn't hurt. Don't hate Reimer and kind of get the signing, as our goalies of future won't be ready for a few seasons, but high price. Might be the stop gap in between as Louie is getting up there in age, but raises another question in why did we trade Grimaldi for Berra? I asked that question before this signing but now it makes even less sense. Willing to bet we dump Berra now and gave away a prospect for nothing at all

On 7/1/2016 at 0:23 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Murray has found a guy for our top lines in Okposo.  Kyle pulled in $42 Million for 7 years.   Bring on the Love

Horrible contract for a guy who never even topped 27 goals.....playing with Tavares...this doesn't help the Flyer's situation trying to sign Brayden Schenn.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Horrible contract for a guy who never even topped 27 goals.....playing with Tavares...this doesn't help the Flyer's situation trying to sign Brayden Schenn.

This is why the NHL channel is saying Buffalo is the top winner of the day.  OK Mr know it all.   Why are they saying this is a great guy for the Sabres.  I think i will listen to them and not you.

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

This is why the NHL channel is saying Buffalo is the top winner of the day.  OK Mr know it all.   Why are they saying this is a great guy for the Sabres.  I think i will listen to them and not you.

You have ovioulsy confused me with someone who gives a damn. Good luck with your bottom feeders. Looking for the draft already next year...right...already tanking!

They would've been better off with Dale Weise. I know Philly didn't have the cap space, but even if we did, I don't think Hextall would give Okposo as much or salary that is in that contract.

40 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Let's remember the last "great free agent" to be signed by the Sabres was Ville Leino!  Okposo will fail in Buffalo just like Moulson and Kane have.

4 hours ago, Samifan said:

Let's remember the last "great free agent" to be signed by the Sabres was Ville Leino!  Okposo will fail in Buffalo just like Moulson and Kane have.

But, but...but the NHL channel guys said.......

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You have ovioulsy confused me with someone who gives a damn. Good luck with your bottom feeders. Looking for the draft already next year...right...already tanking!

Actually Murray as the nucleus of this team in place.  The rebuild is close to complete except for some major tweeks at G and D.   But if you think we are going to be  pushover, you are crazy.   We won 2 of 3 vs the Flyers head up last year.  WE will be better.  And pretty much everyone but you knows it

53 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The rebuild is close to complete except for some major tweeks at G and D.   

So the rebuild is close to complete with the exception of fixing the Goalie and Defense?  :blink[1]:  Thats like saying I am almost a millionarie, I just need some major tweaks to my bank account. 

What did the guys from the NHL Network say about the Sabres getting Nilsson to be their "backup" goalie? 

I like Okposo, and am fine with him in Buffalo.

But, like Lucic, the idea that this kind of player - 20-25 goals, 50-60 points - is worth $6M on the market is nit good for the league.

Get your lockout plans together, becuase this will not end well.

On July 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Samifan said:

So the rebuild is close to complete with the exception of fixing the Goalie and Defense?  :blink[1]:  Thats like saying I am almost a millionarie, I just need some major tweaks to my bank account. 

What did the guys from the NHL Network say about the Sabres getting Nilsson to be their "backup" goalie? 

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-free-agency-blackhawks-sabres-among-winners-bruins-losers-on-day-1/

Here's where I see some problems for the Sabres with the signing of Okposo, and they're the ones the national guys don't care about because they're focused on the now:

Yes, he is an upgrade now. I'm not down on him like some folks are. But NOW, IMO, was not the time for the Sabres to make this move.

They have Ristolainen who needs a new deal. Based on the money being thrown around to  RFAs this summer already, if Buffalo wants term, he's going to take up something in the neighborhood of half of their remaining cap space. If they don't give him term now, they're looking at an even heftier price tag in a couple more years. Reinhart and Eichel will need new deals in a couple years - How will it work if Eichel needs 8 million a year and the Sabres already have O'Reilly already at 7.5 and Okposo at 6? Even with Gionta coming off after this season and even if the Sabres can and do move Kane, they're going to be tight against the cap over the next couple of years. And that's before they strengthen the defense or goaltending, which you even admit need help.

The Sabres have a lot of top-end talent, but most of their young talent is already on the team with very little coming in the next few years to fill middle-6 and bottom 4 roles. By spending their cap now, the Sabres will see an incremental jump in the standings, no doubt, but I'd be worried that they'll be stuck treading water somewhere between 6-10 in the conference and never able to make serious noise because they won't be able to add that piece that could/should put them over the top. It's possible that it will work for the Sabres, but I see Okposo as a complimentary piece they're paying as if he were part of the core - will they have to let part of the core go later on to accommodate the money they're paying him now? That's what worries me about this move from the Sabres point of view.

Okposo for the Sabres definitely shows the Sabres are trying to get serious scoring in their lineup.

Kyle may be good for the Sabres...provided he doesn't have very many disappearing acts like he did in New York with the Isles.

When this guy is on and going, he is a fantastic winger for just about any center in the league....but when he isn't, he may as well be the invisible man because you'd be better off getting some unproven AHL'er playing his minutes when he isn't in his groove.

Surely, that can occur to any top NHL player, just seems to me Okposo has extended streaks like that. Perhaps it was because with the Isles it was either he and Tavares and thats it...teams could key in on his line.

Maybe Buffalo offers a bit more depth on the top six between he, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Kane, Girgensons, and of course Eichel, so that teams just can't zero in on Okposo, allowing him to be the top six guy he has shown he can be at times....and do it more often.

If he produces consistently, Buffalo will not worry bout that 6M/ 7yr deal...if he doesn't, that contract could weigh heavily on the team and stunt the overall growth.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Okposo for the Sabres definitely shows the Sabres are trying to get serious scoring in their lineup.

Kyle may be good for the Sabres...provided he doesn't have very many disappearing acts like he did in New York with the Isles.

When this guy is on and going, he is a fantastic winger for just about any center in the league....but when he isn't, he may as well be the invisible man because you'd be better off getting some unproven AHL'er playing his minutes when he isn't in his groove.

Surely, that can occur to any top NHL player, just seems to me Okposo has extended streaks like that. Perhaps it was because with the Isles it was either he and Tavares and thats it...teams could key in on his line.

Maybe Buffalo offers a bit more depth on the top six between he, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Kane, Girgensons, and of course Eichel, so that teams just can't zero in on Okposo, allowing him to be the top six guy he has shown he can be at times....and do it more often.

If he produces consistently, Buffalo will not worry bout that 6M/ 7yr deal...if he doesn't, that contract could weigh heavily on the team and stunt the overall growth.

This ^^^

You'd think after Leino and Moulson they'd err on caution (not that they're the only team giving out dumb contracts) but Okposo to me seems like the kind of guy who may have been looking for that big payday and now he can just sit back and coast. Maybe I'm wrong, but I certainly wouldn't have went there.

On 7/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, flyercanuck said:

Is Pegula the new "Homer"?

This. What a horrible contract.   Yeah, if they didn't someone else would have, but I would have let someone else. 

He's ridiculously streaky.   The last 3 years or so of this will be disaster.   And it will be overpayment until then. 

I was dreading it every time Philly writers talked about getting him for the Flyers. I'm SO glad. 

This is simply not a signing nor a contract I'd like let alone love. 

On 7/2/2016 at 0:36 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

In this case, they're simply wrong. 

Sadly, if track record holds, when that's proven to be the case, you'll either ignore reality or claim you said this sucked all along (Leino,  Miller for starters). 

Seriously, I think you'll end up regretting the signing., 

Archived