Leafs sign free agent Matt Martin

BluPuk

4 year deal at 2.5 per (I think). They reported it as a 4 year 10 million dollar deal if there's a difference. As per usual, I don't know this guy but I'm thinking he's not real deep in the finer skills? Anyway, a good 'ol Canadian boy so Cherry will like him.... 

Anybody know this guy?

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

4 year deal at 2.5 per (I think). They reported it as a 4 year 10 million dollar deal if there's a difference. As per usual, I don't know this guy but I'm thinking he's not real deep in the finer skills? Anyway, a good 'ol Canadian boy so Cherry will like him.... 

Anybody know this guy?

Yeah, probably THE BEST 4th liner in Hockey today, or at the least the best 4th line winger. He leads the league in hits every year, usually by a large margin so he and Komarov will enjoy punishing opposing players.

He played on a line with Clutterbuck and Cizikas in New York, all three love to hit and hit a lot. A complaint I read in an Islanders fan forum is he (Martin) loves the physical side so much that he sacrifices offense, they seem to think if he toned it down a bit he could score 15 goals a year. Personally I would rather have a guy like

Martin who scores ten but makes it unpleasant on every single shift for his oppenents.

Great signing. I think you guys should like him.

He probably is the best 4th liner out there, but just my take, you should never pay over 1.5 for those types. He is a REALLY tough SOB...from Windsor if anyone didn't know....lol. He can skate very nicely for a goon....but in the end, besides the vicious and numerous hits he dishes out, he really is a goon. This seems like a Pat Quinn type move, not a Shanny move. Let me get this straight, the Leafs could have had Eric Stall for 3.5 mill (assuming he would want to got there etc.), but instead chose to invest 2.5 mill a year for a longer term for a guy who has no hands at all?  I just think they could have spent their money more wisely. Having Stall as a number one and Nylander and Matthews.....or Stall moving down to the #3 line.....at 3.5 mill a year, he would be paid what most upper tier 3rd line centers make. For an extra mill Stall is on the table??  If I were the Leafs, assuming they had the option of signing Eric...I would have jumped at the chance.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Yeah, probably THE BEST 4th liner in Hockey today, or at the least the best 4th line winger. He leads the league in hits every year, usually by a large margin so he and Komarov will enjoy punishing opposing players.

He played on a line with Clutterbuck and Cizikas in New York, all three love to hit and hit a lot. A complaint I read in an Islanders fan forum is he (Martin) loves the physical side so much that he sacrifices offense, they seem to think if he toned it down a bit he could score 15 goals a year. Personally I would rather have a guy like

Martin who scores ten but makes it unpleasant on every single shift for his oppenents.

Great signing. I think you guys should like him.

Yep. Ryan White destroys Martin;s nose YIKES!

https://zippy.gfycat.com/LongElasticCod.webm

That is going to leave a mark!!!

15 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Anybody know this guy?

:)

On 7/2/2016 at 5:50 AM, BluPuk said:

Anybody know this guy?

Matt Martin, Leo Komarov, Roman Polak, and a bit from Kadri and Laich.....hey, the Leafs may still find themselves struggling to win games on a consistent basis, but from the looks of things, they seem to be going back to old time Leafs hockey and at least will leaving their marks, literally, on the opposing teams.

Matt Martin was a very good bottom six freight train who was mostly just another big body for several years, until he found some magic playing on the 4th line with Casey Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck on the Islanders.

Those three pretty much embodied what you would want out of a 3rd or 4th line: toughness, hitting, decent skating, and even a touch of scoring when they set themselves to it.

Whether or not Martin will find the same chemistry with his new Leafs linemates will remain to be seen, but if he plays anything like he did with the Isles, his style of play is certainly infectious to his linemates, and he will be, once again, a very nasty piece of work to deal with for opposing lines and defensemen.

Archived