Penguins concerned about Phil Kessel's readiness for season after he shows up to training camp in good shape...

Polaris922

https://medium.com/sportspickle/penguins-concerned-about-phil-kessels-readiness-for-season-after-he-shows-up-to-training-camp-in-a48b607cd778#.g114guzi9

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Penguins are concerned a Stanley Cup hangover could hit their top scorer from last year’s postseason after right wing Phil Kessel reported to training camp in pretty good shape.

“Obviously, we want to continue the success we had the second half of last season and in the playoffs,” said head coach Mike Sullivan. “And to do that, you want everyone to stay in their roles. So Phil showing up looking trim and fit is a bit concerning. I’m not sure what the idea behind it was, but we need him thick and unkempt and breathing heavily. He was great for us last year doing exactly that.”

Kessel blames his fitness on Pittsburgh’s postseason, by far the longest run he’s had in the playoffs in his 10-year career.

“It’s really hard to stay chubby and out of shape playing hockey every day for nine months,” said Kessel. “It’s basically impossible. Usually I had the opportunity to relax and go on vacation and go on hot dog cart tours in April, May, June, July and August, but this year I was playing hockey. It really got me in pretty good shape. And I think it may have kickstarted my metabolism permanently,” he added, slapping his stomach, which did not vibrate jovially with blub.

Nearby, teammates shook their heads at the sight and then looked away in disappointment.

“I’m a big believer in not messing with what works,” said forward Conor Sheary. “I didn’t show up tall all of a sudden, did I? Of course not. I know my role. And Phil never got hurt before because I think he didn’t tire his body out by training and also he was covered in a protective layer of natural padding. Now? He’s all hard and brittle and could snap like that. He’s got a Beau Bennett vibe to him.”

Sullivan said he may scratch Kessel at the start of the season until he’s in game shape.

“If we can get him up a luxury box for a few weeks with an all-you-can-eat spread every night, I think we’ll have him back to where we need him very quickly,” said the coach.

12 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

https://medium.com/sportspickle/penguins-concerned-about-phil-kessels-readiness-for-season-after-he-shows-up-to-training-camp-in-a48b607cd778#.g114guzi9

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Penguins are concerned a Stanley Cup hangover could hit their top scorer from last year’s postseason after right wing Phil Kessel reported to training camp in pretty good shape.

“Obviously, we want to continue the success we had the second half of last season and in the playoffs,” said head coach Mike Sullivan. “And to do that, you want everyone to stay in their roles. So Phil showing up looking trim and fit is a bit concerning. I’m not sure what the idea behind it was, but we need him thick and unkempt and breathing heavily. He was great for us last year doing exactly that.”

Kessel blames his fitness on Pittsburgh’s postseason, by far the longest run he’s had in the playoffs in his 10-year career.

“It’s really hard to stay chubby and out of shape playing hockey every day for nine months,” said Kessel. “It’s basically impossible. Usually I had the opportunity to relax and go on vacation and go on hot dog cart tours in April, May, June, July and August, but this year I was playing hockey. It really got me in pretty good shape. And I think it may have kickstarted my metabolism permanently,” he added, slapping his stomach, which did not vibrate jovially with blub.

Nearby, teammates shook their heads at the sight and then looked away in disappointment.

“I’m a big believer in not messing with what works,” said forward Conor Sheary. “I didn’t show up tall all of a sudden, did I? Of course not. I know my role. And Phil never got hurt before because I think he didn’t tire his body out by training and also he was covered in a protective layer of natural padding. Now? He’s all hard and brittle and could snap like that. He’s got a Beau Bennett vibe to him.”

Sullivan said he may scratch Kessel at the start of the season until he’s in game shape.

“If we can get him up a luxury box for a few weeks with an all-you-can-eat spread every night, I think we’ll have him back to where we need him very quickly,” said the coach.

LMAO!

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Funny stuff. I gained a lot more respect for Phil and how he used his day with the Cup. The guy's heart is in the right place.

https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-phil-kessel-brings-stanley-cup-to-toronto-hospital/c-281185764

As much as I rag on Kessel, there's only one common denominator between players that leave Toronto and achieve success elsewhere: Toronto.

Fans in Toronto really want these guys to succeed here. It just never happens. :(

On 10/2/2016 at 9:03 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

As much as I rag on Kessel, there's only one common denominator between players that leave Toronto and achieve success elsewhere: Toronto.

Fans in Toronto really want these guys to succeed here. It just never happens. :(

I'm wondering if its the Maple Leafs management approach to the game? (Game planning or something in line with that?)

9 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I'm wondering if its the Maple Leafs management approach to the game? (Game planning or something in line with that?)

It's because every guy that comes to Toronto is expected to carry an entire team on their shoulders. Management always gets ONE good player, refers to him as a saviour, and then sits on their collective thumbs. They're already doing it with Matthews. He'll become the next Mats Sundin: a #1 center on a team that won't get him any wingers to play with or any D to shut down opposing teams. That's life in Leaf-land. If you're a star player on the Leafs, then you're the only one. You get the sweet job of carrying around the dead weight of 19 other players that are only looking to open their northern Ontario cottage when May rolls around. :(

If you allow yourself to fade into the background and sink into the blue and white abyss as Kessel did, then the fans will turn on you. If you smile for the cameras, and continue to swallow bucket loads of excrement while you keep "fighting the good fight" (with no reinforcements ever coming) then you can play hockey from October to April every year, and be remembered as a hero in Toronto.   

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's because every guy that comes to Toronto is expected to carry an entire team on their shoulders. Management always gets ONE good player, refers to him as a saviour, and then sits on their collective thumbs. They're already doing it with Matthews. He'll become the next Mats Sundin: a #1 center on a team that won't get him any wingers to play with or any D to shut down opposing teams. That's life in Leaf-land. If you're a star player on the Leafs, then you're the only one. You get the sweet job of carrying around the dead weight of 19 other players that are only looking to open their northern Ontario cottage when May rolls around. :(

If you allow yourself to fade into the background and sink into the blue and white abyss as Kessel did, then the fans will turn on you. If you smile for the cameras, and continue to swallow bucket loads of excrement while you keep "fighting the good fight" (with no reinforcements ever coming) then you can play hockey from October to April every year, and be remembered as a hero in Toronto.   

New faves in management have to change that though right?  I mean Babcock taking the Toronto job to get April through September off is just a joke. 

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Hummm, maybe Kessel should be considered for a reboot of the Airplane movies. Insert Kessel for Jabbar:

9 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

New faves in management have to change that though right?  I mean Babcock taking the Toronto job to get April through September off is just a joke. 

I've seen about 10 management changes with the Leafs in my lifetime. Each time, the results (standings, individual player stats & accomplishments, etc.) have been the same.

This time however, marks the first time the Leafs have "rebuilt" (or begun a proper rebuilding process) in my lifetime, so we're breaking new ground in that respect. :)

A proper rebuilding process often yields several franchise players. The Leafs have never had an "A+" player, so it would be a dream come true for Leafs fans if Matthews became that guy and vaulted to the top of the NHL points list. If they could draft the next Duncan Keith that would be long overdue as well.

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

They'll find Kessel passed out in his underwear on top of a sandwich at a Primanti Brothers soon enough. Give him time.

In Pittsburgh that's called a "good time". :63:

Archived