The "Yay, I'm Crowing" and "Dam I'm Griping" Fantasy Hockey 2016-17 Thread

TropicalFruitGirl26

HappyAngry.jpg

Similar to last seasons Crow or Gripe thread, with the NHL season and consequently, our Fantasy Hockey season just around the corner, thought it was time to have a thread where we can celebrate or bemoan our fantasy team's performances throughout the year.

This thread, since it is just bragging or bitchin, is open to ANY fantasy leagues, whether HF.net, NAHANA, or any other you may be participating in throughout the season.

Hopefully, we can get some nice crowing and griping going on for this season!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you started this thread .... was gonna start one myself.

ALL HF.net Fantasy Hockey League discussions should go here

(This includes all 3 leagues)  No reason to have multiple threads regarding the same topic. 

Once the 1st week is finished I will have a separate thread for STATS.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

HappyAngry.jpg

Similar to last seasons Crow or Gripe thread, with the NHL season and consequently, our Fantasy Hockey season just around the corner, thought it was time to have a thread where we can celebrate or bemoan our fantasy team's performances throughout the year.

This thread, since it is just bragging or bitchin, is open to ANY fantasy leagues, whether HF.net, NAHANA, or any other you may be participating in throughout the season.

Hopefully, we can get some nice crowing and griping going on for this season!

Ahhh, I was looking for an up to date version of this type of thing last night. Should have made a new one like you did, if anyone wants add my fantrax league post to this thread and lock out the thread I made, makes it more streamlined...it's beyond my skill set.....lol.

First Yay!

Drafting 2nd overall in the Conn Smythe League!!!

First Gripe!

I'm drafting 2nd overall in the Conn Smythe League!!

I prefer drafting in the middle...2nd overall is nice but in a snake draft every other round I have to wait for 22 other picks in between my picks.....

I like my roster for the Conn Smythe League .....

DIVINE SWINE (PILLDOC) (0-0)
SLOT PLAYER, TEAM POS ACQ
C Claude Giroux, Phi C Draft
C Sean Monahan, Cgy C  DTDnews_breaking.png Draft
LW Patrick Sharp, Dal LW Draft
LW Alex Galchenyuk, Mon LW Draft
RW Alex Ovechkin, Wsh RW Draft
RW Jeff Carter, LA RWnews_breaking.png Draft
D P.K. Subban, Nsh Dnews_breaking.png Draft
D Kevin Shattenkirk, StL D Draft
D Justin Faulk, Car D Draft
D Erik Johnson, Col D Draft
UTIL Ryan O'Reilly, Buf RW Draft
G Tuukka Rask, Bos G Draft
G Cam Talbot, Edm Gnews_recent.png Draft
Bench Petr Mrazek, Det Gnews_breaking.png Draft
Bench Bryan Little, Wpg Cnews_recent.png Draft
Bench Jordan Eberle, Edm RW Draft
Bench Alec Martinez, LA D Draft

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

When is the draft for me?

you missed the draft so ESPN Auto-Drafted for you ... here is your roster

TEAM BAKER (0-0)
C Artemi Panarin, Chi C Draft
C Nicklas Backstrom, Wsh C Draft
LW Daniel Sedin, Van LW Draft
LW James Neal, Nsh LW Draft
RW Patric Hornqvist, Pit RW Draft
RW Bobby Ryan, Ott RWnews_breaking.png Draft
D Andrei Markov, Mon D Draft
D Anton Stralman, TB D Draft
D Mike Green, Det D Draft
D Alex Goligoski, Ari D Draft
UTIL Joe Thornton, SJ C Draft
G Braden Holtby, Wsh G Draft
G Jonathan Quick, LA G Draft
Bench Auston Matthews, Tor Cnews_breaking.png Draft
Bench Tomas Plekanec, Mon C Draft
Bench Nathan MacKinnon, Col C Draft
Bench Derick Brassard, Ott Cnews_recent.png Draft

LOL   So I missed the draft due to a last minute issue with work.   I'm actually okay with the results.  The best part is that when my team sucks, I can blame it on the puter.

Actually, I wish I could end up with this goaltending in NAHANA.

BILLYPORT CRIPS (0-0)
C Connor McDavid, Edm C Draft
C Evgeny Kuznetsov, Wsh C Draft
LW Chris Kreider, NYR LW Draft
LW Milan Lucic, Edm LW Draft
RW Phil Kessel*, Pit RW  O Draft
RW Justin Williams, Wsh RW Draft
D Jake Muzzin, LA D Draft
D Sami Vatanen, Ana D Draft
D Seth Jones, Cls D Draft
D Brian Campbell, Chi D Draft
UTIL David Backes, Bos Cnews_breaking.png Draft
G Martin Jones, SJ G Draft
G Cory Schneider, NJ G Draft
Bench Henrik Lundqvist, NYR G Draft
Bench Zach Parise, Min LW Draft
Bench Marian Hossa, Chi RW Draft
Bench Boone Jenner, Cls RW Draft

I'm weak at center, though.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

you missed the draft so ESPN Auto-Drafted for you ... here is your roster

TEAM BAKER (0-0)
C Nicklas Backstrom, Wsh C Draft
LW Daniel Sedin, Van LW Draft
LW James Neal, Nsh LW Draft
RW Bobby Ryan, Ott RWnews_breaking.png Draft
D Andrei Markov, Mon D Draft
D Anton Stralman, TB D Draft
D Mike Green, Det D Draft
D Alex Goligoski, Ari D Draft
UTIL Joe Thornton, SJ C Draft
G Braden Holtby, Wsh G Draft
G Jonathan Quick, LA G Draft
Bench Auston Matthews, Tor Cnews_breaking.png Draft
Bench Tomas Plekanec, Mon C Draft
Bench Nathan MacKinnon, Col C Draft
Bench Derick Brassard, Ott Cnews_recent.png Draft

Damn, that auto draft was pretty kind to you. Only real obvious weakness is the defense which looks old and injury prone. Tweak that up a bit and you are in business.....very nice goalies, good young talent on the way up in many cases....nice.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

LOL   So I missed the draft due to a last minute issue with work.   I'm actually okay with the results.  The best part is that when my team sucks, I can blame it on the puter.

Actually, I wish I could end up with this goaltending in NAHANA.

BILLYPORT CRIPS (0-0)
C Connor McDavid, Edm C Draft
C Evgeny Kuznetsov, Wsh C Draft
LW Chris Kreider, NYR LW Draft
LW Milan Lucic, Edm LW Draft
RW Phil Kessel*, Pit RW  O Draft
RW Justin Williams, Wsh RW Draft
D Jake Muzzin, LA D Draft
D Seth Jones, Cls D Draft
D Brian Campbell, Chi D Draft
UTIL David Backes, Bos Cnews_breaking.png Draft
G Martin Jones, SJ G Draft
G Cory Schneider, NJ G Draft
Bench Henrik Lundqvist, NYR G Draft
Bench Zach Parise, Min LW Draft
Bench Marian Hossa, Chi RW Draft
Bench Boone Jenner, Cls RW Draft

I'm weak at center, though.

That is a well balanced team, it has the 3 guys in Lucic, Backes and Kreider that supply the rare combo of pp pts, PIM and pts in general. Plus, I think Jenner is pretty scrappy also.

I am fairly happy with who I got. Even the autodraft spots that completed my draft took players I had in queue.

I only really struggled with the 1st pick because I truly wanted McDavid. A #1 goalie or McDavid? I suspected McDavid would slip a bit in rankings, but knew Holtby was a goner in the first 5 picks.

As with last year, I suspect my bottom 4 players will be highly interchangeable though.

Took far more gambles than last year. Galchenyuk is no guarantee to produce under Therrien, although Gallagher might produce no matter what(how much is the question). Eichel/Ristolainen will be improved. I am counting on Mackinnon to improve under a new coach.

Scheifele/Ehlers were risks to take that high in the draft I guess. But I expect Scheifele will pay off and Ehlers will shut people up :)

Was surprised to see Jagr slip to my queue draft.

Talbot still being available surprised me. I expect the oilers improve much this year. Also a bit of contingency in case Fleury loses his spot.

8 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I am fairly happy with who I got. Even the autodraft spots that completed my draft took players I had in queue.

I only really struggled with the 1st pick because I truly wanted McDavid. A #1 goalie or McDavid? I suspected McDavid would slip a bit in rankings, but knew Holtby was a goner in the first 5 picks.

As with last year, I suspect my bottom 4 players will be highly interchangeable though.

Took far more gambles than last year. Galchenyuk is no guarantee to produce under Therrien, although Gallagher might produce no matter what(how much is the question). Eichel/Ristolainen will be improved. I am counting on Mackinnon to improve under a new coach.

Scheifele/Ehlers were risks to take that high in the draft I guess. But I expect Scheifele will pay off and Ehlers will shut people up :)

Was surprised to see Jagr slip to my queue draft.

Talbot still being available surprised me. I expect the oilers improve much this year. Also a bit of contingency in case Fleury loses his spot.

There is a real good chance Galchenyuk scores 30 goals this year.  Ehlers will be in the Jets top 6, and that team will be deadly. Scheifele and McKinnon are going to be real close to a point a game...bet on it. Eichel will continue to improve, a real nice solid core you have there.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

There is a real good chance Galchenyuk scores 30 goals this year.  Ehlers will be in the Jets top 6, and that team will be deadly. Scheifele and McKinnon are going to be real close to a point a game...bet on it. Eichel will continue to improve, a real nice solid core you have there.

What worries me about Galchenyuk is that Therrien literally hates him. He holds him back at every opportunity and promotes his french hometown favorite Napolean Desharnais.

Look at Galchenyuk's stat distribution and line usage last year. He was literally not given a fair shake until DD went down and Therrien HAD to use him. DD is the only guy I have seen get top PP unit time despite going scoreless on the PP for 30+ games. He was injured between Feb 15th and came back March 24th, in that time, Galchenyuk scored 13 goals in 17 games.

I was surprised Gallagher was still available when i got him. he scored 19 goals and 40 points in 53 games last year and was on a tear. I was more surprised my autoqueue landed me Jagr towards the end of the draft after I left the draft. Despite his age, he was a top scorer in the league last year. I was also surprised Faulk was still in the running when I got him.

Matt Murray picked a great time to break his hand though. Fleury will be starter for certain now until he comes back and probably after.

Overall I am pleased though. I hate to praise Sabres, but Eichel and Ristolainen look primed to go this season.

10 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Talbot still being available surprised me.

You are lucky you took him when I did, because he was my next pick.  A lot of mock drafts had him going next to last so I took a gamble he was still going to be around.  Sadly for me you nabbed him at the right time.  I did however nab Talbot in the Conn Smythe League.  I agree the Oilers will be much improved.

I'm pretty happy with my draft.  Several players I targeted went just before I was ready picket them...etc. Eberle / Hall

C Claude Giroux, Phi C Draft
C Jason Spezza, Dal C Draft
LW Patrick Sharp, Dal LW Draft
LW Gabriel Landeskog, Col LW Draft
RW Jeff Carter, LA RWnews_recent.png Draft
RW Kyle Okposo, Buf RW  DTDnews_breaking.png Draft
D P.K. Subban, Nsh Dnews_breaking.png Draft
D John Carlson, Wsh D Draft
D Alec Martinez, LA D Draft
D Johnny Boychuk, NYI Dnews_breaking.png Draft
UTIL Marian Hossa, Chi RW Draft
G Jake Allen, StL G Draft
G Petr Mrazek, Det Gnews_breaking.png Draft
Bench Nazem Kadri, Tor C Draft
Bench Craig Anderson, Ott Gnews_breaking.png Draft
Bench Erik Johnson, Col D Draft
Bench Leo Komarov, Tor LW Draft

Will comment more later.

I'm not sure how I feel about my team. Must be good, because every time I love my team, it stinks:

THE WHISKEY STICKS (0-0)
C Patrice Bergeron, Bos C Draft
LW Jonathan Huberdeau, Fla LW Draft
LW Andrew Ladd, NYI LW Draft
RW Alex Ovechkin, Wsh RW Draft
D Hampus Lindholm, Ana D Draft
D T.J. Brodie, Cgy D Draft
D David Savard, Cls D Draft
UTIL Kyle Turris, Ott C Draft
G John Gibson, Ana G Draft
G Steve Mason, Phi G Draft
Bench Jonathan Drouin, TB LW Draft
Bench Ryan Miller, Van G Draft
Bench P.A. Parenteau, NYI RW Draft
Bench Ivan Provorov, Phi D Free Agency
IR Duncan Keith*, Chi D  Onews_breaking.png Draft

I think you have a nice team AJ.

All Star Team "Slick Sticks"   well we'll see if it is good enough to stay in the top 6.  

my team.png

On the otherhand, I like my Benchwarmers team of the Jack Adams League much better.

The Benchwarmers are available for any member without a team (new or old ) who wants to take over the team.    :ok:

benchwarmers.png

Way too early to crow or gripe about my FHL teams, but I will say my All Star League Green Star Blades have the potential to do well this season....provided certain young players step up with consistency, and some of the vets I chose continue to be valuable to their respective teams.

Green Star Blades.png

Last season, outside of Braden Holtby, I struggled all year to try and get consistent goaltending. Went out and got hometown workhorses Devan Dubnyk and Ben Bishop...both of which are the undisputed number ones for their respective teams.

Injuries, as always may play a part, and with that in mind, I have young up n comer Louis Domingue waiting in the wings (yes, I like carrying three goalies!)

Besides, the current Arizona number one, Mike Smith is past his prime, is injury prone, and with the expected improvement of the Arizona skaters, I suspect Domingue may find himself as the desert's number one netminder sooner than later.

NHL stalwarts Zach Parise, Steve Stamkos, Victor Hedman, and James Neal should be counted on to put up their usual good production numbers, while I anticipate young players such as Filip Forsberg, Ryan Spooner, Charlie Coyle, and Jakob Silfverberg will take the next steps in their developments.

And perhaps underrated players such as Alex Goligoski, Troy Brouwer, Anton Stralman, and Craig Smith can add that bit of extra that all good teams need.

Steady and hard hitting guys like Jake Muzzin and Brent Seabrook round out the Blades.

Good hunting!

Not a crow or a gripe, but just an open ended question for opinion.

Is it good, bad or indifferent that I have a bye week the last week of the season?   I'm honestly not sure.  If it were your team--and keep in mind we all have an equal number of bye weeks, so it's just a matter of timing--would you consider it good, bad or doesn't matter?

I'm just curious if it matters at all, mostly because I'm new.   

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Not a crow or a gripe, but just an open ended question for opinion.

Is it good, bad or indifferent that I have a bye week the last week of the season?   I'm honestly not sure.  If it were your team--and keep in mind we all have an equal number of bye weeks, so it's just a matter of timing--would you consider it good, bad or doesn't matter?

I'm just curious if it matters at all, mostly because I'm new.   

I don't see what difference it would make. 

15 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

I don't see what difference it would make. 

I think probably yeah.  It's just in the unlikely even I'm in the middle of some sort of position jockeying at the end, it'll stink that I'm not able to move while others play.   On the other hand, there's the potential that not moving maybe helps?

Statistically and mathematically no difference.   Sitting watching all week will be painful. 

The answer is probably "doesn't matter."

59 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

There are byes?

yes...unlike last year where we had even number teams (12)..it was a balanced schedule.  However because this year in the Conn Smythe we only had 11 teams, ESPN fantasy creates a Bye week for everyone so that everyone plays the same equal number of games.  I ran this by @hf101 and we both agreed this would be ok.  Just a different wrinkle to this year.  We tried very hard to find one last GM but to no avail.  I have team in each league trying to fill up spots. Not ideal, but we are trying to make the best of it......

Let me just say, I have no idea how ESPN is slotting players. Since when is Panarin a center? He's not even listed as a center on their own Blackhawks roster page...

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Let me just say, I have no idea how ESPN is slotting players. Since when is Panarin a center? He's not even listed as a center on their own Blackhawks roster page...

Yeah, ESPN returns them to their default natural position, often going by their draft page. Its the same with a lot of players

Archived