Provorov

King Knut

14 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Maybe the problem is that he's looking at Prov's feet

The key, of course (as everyone knows), is to look at the hips and, especially, the bum. That's where you really notice the smooth, silkiness of it all.

Look, he's not a sheep... But I digress... (oh, geez, I said "but"...)

I've seen Provolone trip up several times this season as well, but I don't attribute that to "bad skating" as much as on occasion trying to "do too much". That sort of thing is cleared up with experience. His base skating skillset is terrific.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, icehole said:

No problem.  That's why I back out of some discussions.  Maybe I'm just looking too far into it.  When people make a big deal of something I really pay attention to it.  If it doesn't blow me away, I wonder why everyone makes a big deal of it.

It was the same deal with couturier.  I kept on hearing about his juniors numbers, shut down skills, and his PK.  People calmed down on his offensive skills, but I don't even believe his other assets are anything special.

There's no question that some people just jump to superlatives and can be victims of confirmation bias - wanting a shiny new thing to be terrific on their team.

Like you, I spend a lot of time devil's advocating those assertions. Much as I've frequently devil's advocated yours. :)

As noted in previous post, I do think that Provolone:56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM: will "fix" some of his "problems" with experience, but I do think he's got the base skating skillset that will serve him well long term.

WRT Couturier, he's really failed to live up to the expectations the team (and posters) have put on him. But if he's a Brooks Laich (now) type player - chips in minor offense, good on draws, solid defensively - he's right in line with what he's being paid now and could be "value" by the end of the deal. Sometimes you gotta look at the "bright side."

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok...that's you isn't it! 

Part of me genuinely wishes it was me, but alas I've never been to Norway. I think I would get on well in Norway though. I'd probably be hammered even more than I am normally.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

The challenge will be once the league focuses on him - much as they are on Ghost this year

I really don't think that is as big as it seems.

Ghost's biggest issue is Ghost. His aim is off...and it has nothing to do with the opposition even with clear lanes he just can't hit the damn net. It's crazy.

He is snake bitten right now if he could hit the damn net he would have 5 more goals easily. He will eventually figure it out.

It will take time and he will have to overcome his own issues with internal pressure.

Provorov is a better all around defenseman and will not struggle i think with other teams targeting him i think. But that is just my opinion.

54 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes better than anyone i have seen in a Flyer uni in forever!!

Ghost skates pretty well.   And....who else currently?   Honestly, I think great skating on the Flyers and I have Provorov, Ghost and....?    I mean, Giroux skates well, Voracek is not a sloth.  Read and Konecny have wheels.   But as far as smooth, effortless--kind of in the Rick MacLeish mode--there's Provorov and then there's the rest of the team.

On 12/6/2016 at 5:25 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I really don't think that is as big as it seems.

Ghost's biggest issue is Ghost. His aim is off...and it has nothing to do with the opposition even with clear lanes he just can't hit the damn net. It's crazy.

He is snake bitten right now if he could hit the damn net he would have 5 more goals easily. He will eventually figure it out.

It will take time and he will have to overcome his own issues with internal pressure.

Provorov is a better all around defenseman and will not struggle i think with other teams targeting him i think. But that is just my opinion.

I'm not at all saying it won't happen, just that it has yet to.

It's also other issues I've brought up. If Provolone is playing the point on the 1st PP then by definition Ghost isn't. if Provolone gets 3-on-3 time with Giroux and Voracek, then Ghost doesn't.

And, of course, vice-versa.

It is why, for example, Ghost doesn't take many shootout chances  - other guys are ahead of him.

All of this is fluid and can change with a coach's decision. 

But, honestly, to pretend that the league doesn't look at a guy who picked up .71 ppg in his rookie season as an unknown third rounder any more is short sighted. He's simply going to get more attention.

And, to that point, guys start to play more against tougher competition as well.

AGAIN, I'm not saying he's GOING to level off at a lower tier. I'm simply saying that other, more heralded and coveted players HAVE.

Ghost is going to be an important part of this team for a long time. So is Provolone. So, we hope, is Sanheim and Morin.

That would be a H-E-double-hockey sticks of an achievement and I would be thrilled if it happened.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not at all saying it won't happen, just that it has yet to.

It's also other issues I've brought up. If Provolone is playing the point on the 1st PP then by definition Ghost isn't. if Provolone gets 4-on-4 time with Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds, then Ghost doesn't.

And, of course, vice-versa.

It is why, for example, Ghost doesn't take many shootout chances  - other guys are ahead of him.

All of this is fluid and can change with a coach's decision. 

But, honestly, to pretend that the league doesn't look at a guy who picked up .71 ppg in his rookie season as an unknown third rounder any more is short sighted. He's simply going to get more attention.

And, to that point, guys start to play more against tougher competition as well.

AGAIN, I'm not saying he's GOING to level off at a lower tier. I'm simply saying that other, more heralded and coveted players HAVE.

Ghost is going to be an important part of this team for a long time. So is Provolone. So, we hope, is Sanheim and Morin.

That would be a H-E-double-hockey sticks of an achievement and I would be thrilled if it happened.

I'm getting more and more confident that you can include Myers on that future backend too...though hopefully they all end up so good that we have to trade one of them for McDavid and a 1st!

Flyers' Provorov holds his own against Jagr; McDavid next

120616_provorov_1200

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-Provorov-holds-his-own-against-Jagr-McDavid-next.html

“The impressive thing on that play is the read he made to make that block,” coach Dave Hakstol said. “That is just really good hockey sense... I think that Mase (Steve Mason) might have been over on it, but that play that Provy made was potentially a game-saving play right there.”

“Unbelievable, a 19-year-old kid going against Jaromir Jagr,” said Wayne Simmonds, who keyed the win with a pair of goals (see story). “I think he did a pretty good job. He has done a great job all year long and he is only going to get better. If you watch him play, he is getting better and better, not just every game, but every shift.”

The future is bright!!

:DancingGrape:

@flyercanuck

I don't know what you people are looking at.  He just flopped right down in front of Mason and got hit by the puck.  The guy can't skate and just falls right in the slot. 

I've yet to see the hockey sense or defense you people are talking about. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@flyercanuck

I don't know what you people are looking at.  He just flopped right down in front of Mason and got hit by the puck.  The guy can't skate and just falls right in the slot. 

I've yet to see the hockey sense or defense you people are talking about. 

Hey Rux,

What, no ninja????

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I saw Brelic's request for a clip and was thinking, "how ya going to find a clip of that?"   Nicely done!

@brelic

I had to smile at the CSN broadcast.  Jackson:  "The pass is across, he shoots....REJECTED!"

What's great about that play is that Provorov doesn't seem like he's actively trying to block the shot. He's playing the pass, but his body positioning and direction of travel is such that it carries him right into the way of the shot when the pass gets by him.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think I've seen you acknowledge this already so it's not directed at you (I've hated on him as much as anyone after I was initially happy about getting him):   We all rag on him, but McDud is actually playing very well in his current role.  I still don't like the contract, but his on ice play has actually been pretty good.

He has played better but let's be honest he had nowhere to go but up. It's his contract that we all mostly hate.

Sure at times it's him too but it is more from his bad play and he has certainly had that too this year. If he was making more along the lines of what Schultz is making i as well as most would be ok with it.

But he is not...he is making pretty much #2 Dman pay while playing like a #5 or #6 and that isn't cutting it.

Sure he is playing better lately but it will keep the natives quiet so long...when he slips up again the hate will return.

I just pray he plays enough games so Vegas takes him off their hands.

Archived