I can't take Mason seriously

fanaticV3.0

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Parent was huge for Philly in those cup winning years. You could argue that he was the best player, THEN, for the Flyers. In franchise history? No way. That's Clarke. 

To this day, many hockey historians call Parent's back to back cup wins as the best two playoffs EVER strung together by a goalie. Basically, it's not even a fly by night theory, born by Flyer fans, it's generally accepted to be true by writers, retired players, NHL exec's the list goes on and on.

Clarke was our best player ever...but myself, I'm thinking Rick MacLeish was the most skilled, apologies to other greats.

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Took the words right out of my laptop...lol. It has become increasingly obvious that Mason does not perform up to par when he has to look over his shoulder. He's the type of goalie that gets better as he plays more, and yeah, the mentally fragile state shines though when he has a bad game and knows it is gonna cost him the next one or two games to get back in the nets.

Mason is the type of goalie who must be a clear cut starter. I don't think Mason is the future however, but a way more than adequate stop gap. That's why I want a 2 year deal, 3 at the very most, so it does not stunt the growth of whoever is deemed to be the next great Flyer goalie.....Hart, Stolarz, Tomek, Sandstrom, Lyons....one if not 2 of these kids are gonna be the real deal, I can feel it in my bones.

That's why I'm perfectly content using Stolarz and Lyon as the goalies in Philadelphia next year. I'd have no problem going with an entire rookie tandem as the goalies. Both kids seem to be mentally sharp, they've handled pressure very well in their early careers and they've bounced back with no problems from having bad games. The only downside is that Hakstol is becoming like every other coach that there's been in Philadelphia - his refusal to use young players in key situations. I couldn't see Hakstol wanting to use two rookie netminders at the position (even though the club would be better off in the long run because of it).

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's why I'm perfectly content using Stolarz and Lyon as the goalies in Philadelphia next year. I'd have no problem going with an entire rookie tandem as the goalies. Both kids seem to be mentally sharp, they've handled pressure very well in their early careers and they've bounced back with no problems from having bad games. The only downside is that Hakstol is becoming like every other coach that there's been in Philadelphia - his refusal to use young players in key situations. I couldn't see Hakstol wanting to use two rookie netminders at the position (even though the club would be better off in the long run because of it).

Totally agree with all of that. I don't see Hak wanting rookie goalies like you said. His job security is tied to the goalies somewhat, so even though long term it would be better for the franchise....I can't see him liking that. Longer deals mean nothing in Philly, they could buy out the rest of Hak's deal in a heartbeat and not flinch. I like Hak though, would not want that to happen.

It would be great to see a Stolarz and Lyon or even a Lyon and Sandstrom tandem should they outshine Stolarz in training camp. I can see Hart going back to jr's for another year, but who knows, maybe he stands on his head and wins a job straight up in camp. The exciting thing is finally starting to see the pecking order these kids will fall into...and yeah, very much worth to sort out all that stuff a year early by using two rook goalies....of course as long as they are somewhat ready and it will not harm their progress. If anybody knows who is ready for what in net, it's our GM, huh?

In regards to the goalie situation, IF Mason wants to remain in Philly, he MUST cave on the length of the deal. A two year deal at a decent buck can work for both teams.....but signing Mason long term, I don't see that happening from Hexy viewpoint. Mason could get 2 years of security and if he believes in himself, he should be able to parlay that into a nice deal afterwords....and have a decent team while playing those 2 years. A big factor, how many playoff teams don't have a stud goalie or a goalie in waiting that will mean cap relief??

On 12/22/2016 at 2:19 PM, Podein25 said:

I think threads like this are as much a reflection on Philly sports fans - in particular Flyers fans and their proclivity for running goalies out of town and booing fat men in red suits - as they are about whether Steve Mason is a good goalie or not.

I don’t understand this comment. I admittedly do not pay as much attention to sports as I used to, but who are all these goalies that were or went on to be rock solid, legit, beyond the shadow of a doubt number one’s that we were mean to and ruined? Did I sleep through that part of Flyers history?

On 12/22/2016 at 9:40 PM, King Knut said:

To say mason isn't a good goalie is just a little bit silly.  That said I can't figure out why the hell Hak played him against the Devils tonight.  The dude has never beaten the devils and stepped off the ice 19 hours ago.  Stolarz

woukdnhave been playing in front of friends and family in his home state.  Why the hell not give him the start?  

The whole team was gassed and it's a damn shame, but giving Stolarz the start would have been something in the better direction for Hak.  I'm disappointed in this call. 

*Looks around*

Who said that?

26 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

who are all these goalies that were or went on to be rock solid, legit, beyond the shadow of a doubt number one’s that we were mean to and ruined?

I'm told that you Flyer fans gave Jeff Hackett vertigo. True story. I saw it on the Twitters

Also, it's fairly obvious that you asssholes drove Pelle to drink. Too soon?

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm told that you Flyer fans gave Jeff Hackett vertigo. True story. I saw it on the Twitters

Also, it's fairly obvious that you asssholes drove Pelle to drink. Too soon?

Told by who? Trump? That sound like something he would tweet..

Neuvirth's coming back.......will be fascinating to watch what happens next.  Mason needs a break. Stolarz, for some reason, isn't getting any starts.  Do they put in Neuvirth to spell Mason - do they start starting Stolarz - does Neuvirth get hot - is Neuvirth even ready - does Mason lose his starting job - does Mason respond and go on another ten game win streak - will there be a goalie controversy (ahahaha)????  So many questions.  I'd really like to see more of Stolarz.  But, as a lifelong Flyers fan, my gut tells me that Mason, Neuvirth, and Stolarz all somehow end up on the IR by the end of the month.  Ha!  

I'm in Columbus and this Bluejackets streak is killing me.  I see the Flyers ending it for them on Sunday.  But then, I'll be at the game and every game the last several seasons I've been to, the Jackets have won.  I may stay home....

58 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

*Looks around*

Who said that?

I wrote that several weeks ago, so I'm not sure to whom I was referring at the time... but I know I sure said it last last night.  Man, last night he was just a bad goalie against the Rangers.  Awful.  

On aggregate, he's a good but not great goalie... but frankly I'm getting too old to have patience for his bi-polar roller coaster confidence issues.  Last night, they needed him to be on.  They needed a number one goalie.  Despite how poorly the offense and transition game fell apart in the 2nd period and then just completely disintegrated in the third, they didn't do a terrible job of protected him.  He wasn't horribly and pointlessly screened, his D men played the proper men on the odd man rushes.  Ghost covered his own ass on that terrible give away.  There really weren't many high percentage shots against Mason all game.  He made one key poke check on a good chance, but otherwise I thought they protected him fairly well.   And he was just awful for them.  

The only goal I could conceivably forgive him on what the third one, but If I'm honest, a good goalie doesn't overplay the puck carrier so much and get so far out of his net.  The pass was slower than molasses and even though it made it through the defender, Mason had PLENTY of time to track it and turn to face the shooter.  But Mason wasn't tracking the puck.  he was watching the puck carrier (same way he was on the first two goals).  His eyes simply weren't on the puck.  And he was too damn far out of his net.  He should have been able to make a simple pivot to the new puck carrier, but he was out above the crease so now the new shooter was essentially almost behind him.  

So while on a normal night, that goal would be more forgivable frankly, I'm having trouble with it.  It played into all the crap he was doing wrong on the first two goals.

I'm not feeling sympathetic today after that pitiful performance.  Guess I'm the one being bi-polar on the guy now.

5 minutes ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

Neuvirth's coming back.......will be fascinating to watch what happens next.  Mason needs a break. Stolarz, for some reason, isn't getting any starts.  Do they put in Neuvirth to spell Mason - do they start starting Stolarz - does Neuvirth get hot - is Neuvirth even ready - does Mason lose his starting job - does Mason respond and go on another ten game win streak - will there be a goalie controversy (ahahaha)????  So many questions.  I'd really like to see more of Stolarz.  But, as a lifelong Flyers fan, my gut tells me that Mason, Neuvirth, and Stolarz all somehow end up on the IR by the end of the month.  Ha!  

I'm in Columbus and this Bluejackets streak is killing me.  I see the Flyers ending it for them on Sunday.  But then, I'll be at the game and every game the last several seasons I've been to, the Jackets have won.  I may stay home....

We won't see Stolarz again  this year unless one of them gets hurt again.   I'm assuming it will be the same old roller coaster.  mason will lose his starting job, they'll platoon, neuwirth will get hot... then he'll get hurt again and mason will come in again and the whole season will come down to the last games... yet again.  

Frankly, I'm done with both of them.  resign Neuwirth to be the backup next year, save yourself 3-4 million in cap space on mason and tell Lyons and Stolarz to fight it out.  

I honestly can't see how that's any worse than what we've been watching.  Mason has his plusses, but the inconsisistency is now a killer.  If he's going to be so drastically inconsistent, we might as well be going with the rookies.  

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

We won't see Stolarz again  this year unless one of them gets hurt again.   I'm assuming it will be the same old roller coaster.  mason will lose his starting job, they'll platoon, neuwirth will get hot... then he'll get hurt again and mason will come in again and the whole season will come down to the last games... yet again.  

Frankly, I'm done with both of them.  resign Neuwirth to be the backup next year, save yourself 3-4 million in cap space on mason and tell Lyons and Stolarz to fight it out.  

I honestly can't see how that's any worse than what we've been watching.  Mason has his plusses, but the inconsisistency is now a killer.  If he's going to be so drastically inconsistent, we might as well be going with the rookies.  

This is why I can’t get excited about him – I feel like I know the ending to this story already.

They would have to put a really good team in front of him for me to think they have a chance of going anywhere with him in net.

Another issue we face with Mason is "cause and effect."  His stats during this losing streak stink. But you could argue the surrounding team has as well.  Mason is no King Henryk. But he doesn't have the surrounding cast. I stick to my guns--I think he has a only 50/50 chance being here next year, largely due to inconsistency. But our team is challenged. After last night, I was wondering who the hell we have offensively other than Simmonds and Voracek.  Last year's wunderkind, the Ghost, can't shoot on the f.03049ing goal.  Nor can most of his teammates.  

16 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Another issue we face with Mason is "cause and effect."  His stats during this losing streak stink. But you could argue the surrounding team has as well.  Mason is no King Henryk. But he doesn't have the surrounding cast. I stick to my guns--I think he has a only 50/50 chance being here next year, largely due to inconsistency. But our team is challenged. After last night, I was wondering who the hell we have offensively other than Simmonds and Voracek.  Last year's wunderkind, the Ghost, can't shoot on the f.03049ing goal.  Nor can most of his teammates.  

They don't have a scorer other than the two you mentioned.

It is why i suggested they should call Greg Carey up from the Phantoms at the time i said it he was leading the AHL in goals and he maybe still like 2nd or 3rd now.

He has size at 6-0 198 (which they need) and can light the lamp (which they need badly) and he is a LW who is only 26.

Hell who knows he could be just the scorer Jake and Giroux need because they are both pass first guys.

Everyone can't just pass someone needs to shoot and that someone needs to be able to get it on net!!!

And if he isn't/can't or just sucks return him.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They don't have a scorer other than the two you mentioned.

It is why i suggested they should call Greg Carey up from the Phantoms at the time i said it he was leading the AHL in goals and he maybe still like 2nd or 3rd now.

He has size at 6-0 198 (which they need) and can light the lamp (which they need badly) and he is a LW who is only 26.

Hell who knows he could be just the scorer Jake and Giroux need because they are both pass first guys.

Everyone can't just pass someone needs to shoot and that someone needs to be able to get it on net!!!

And if he isn't/can't or just sucks return him.

Sir Occam:

I would be more willing to head for the AHL call-ups than Hexy.  I for one can't understand Gordon or Weise and the latter may prove to be an error on his part.  The only thing that comes to mind, and Dreger said it on last night's NBC broadcast, is that we may start to see some trading action when the playoff picture becomes clearer by the trade deadline. He noted that in a league with more parity than most, buyer-seller designation may take more time than usual.   

Hexy has a bunch of goalie prospects. And some D men....but our cupboard is only filling now on offense.

About the only thing I can say in defense of the Flyers is that my backyard Panthers committed big bucks to a nucleus that is underperforming this season in ways nobody expected.  Hexy has a lot more leeway than Dale Tallon on that score. But I am beginning to think Coots may become a chip. There may be others.  We expected our D to be relatively bad.  But our offense is just not there.  As for goal--we may be taking a fork in the road sooner than later. 

Be good if not careful.

Mason needs a rest. Neuvirth or Stolarz has to go Saturday vs the Lightning - who always give the Flyers trouble - because if last night is any indication Steve Mason is beginning to fall apart. I counted 2 soft goals, Kredier's was especially weak. Mason's not to blame for the loss but with better goaltending the Flyers could've won it.

Mason needs a rest and the Flyers need a LWer whose instinct is to shoot the puck instead of passing it off. Voracek figured it out, Simmonds too. Giroux sometimes plays like he's got Jamie Benn with him instead of the misfit LWs he's been given.

On 1/8/2017 at 1:38 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Rangers Flyers Hockey

Will Flyers re-sign Mason to bridge gap to young goalies?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/409980085.html

Rangers Flyers Hockey

" It is worth noting that Las Vegas will have a 48-hour window before the expansion draft to sign unrestricted free agents. If they signed Neuvirth or Mason, the Flyers would then be able to pull back a goalie, such as Stolarz, and he would no longer be available"

Well that changes everything...

Archived