Sabres above 500 after downing Flyers

Buffalo Rick

The question now is can we put a streak together to put us in the game this year?  I know we are not going to do what Columbus did, but we have to do better than win one, lose one consistently.  But Bylsma has them on the right track.  The impressive win in NY over the Rangers, then they had the Blackhawks on the ropes before they allowed that late goal, and then the comeback vs a red hot Winnipeg team and now they beat one of those teams the likely would have to catch?  Tampa being maybe one of them and tomorrow we play them.  Tampa has had major problems of late.  They have been blown out of games and this is a a chance for the Sabres to really take a big step forward by beating them tomorrow. I like our chances.   But Lehner might get the call?  Not sure.  He seems hell bent on switching them off.  I personally wish they would make a deal to get Miller back and wonder if Miller or the Sabres would be interested?   To me Miller would be just what we need.  He has been on fire in Vancouver even though the team in front of him is very average or below.  He is not going anywhere with the Canucks.  But if it does not ever happen are these two guys good enough?  I am not sure.  The team is moving along well.  But they need more talent on top of what they have and probably at the blue line.  Ristolainen and Begosiain are fine.  And Fransen has been very good of late.  There are some young guys that have come up from the Americans that have played well.  Baptiste may get another call soon.  At last check I believe he led the AHL in goals?  The kid is not that big but he can score.   I hope that the Sabres can put together a streak to put them right in the thick of it.  They are only like 3-4 points out.

Just now, Podein25 said:

I guess technically 16-15-9 is above .500. No? I was never good at math. I can count sheep 'til the cows come home though....

It's above 50% in points percentage, but the problem is that too many fans still look at that record use it in the traditional sense, when the team has actually won 16 games and lost 24. The NHL is creating the illusion of parity so that, even though the Sabres would have to go on a 9-game winning streak to have won more than they lost, fans will stay say "Hey man, we're above .500 now!"

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I guess technically 16-15-9 is above .500. No? I was never good at math. I can count sheep 'til the cows come home though....

Of a total of 80 possible points, the Sabres have picked up 41. While not great, that's "technically" above .500.

And the Sabres are five points out of a divisional playoff spot with two games in hand on two of the three teams above them (Ottawa at 46 points has a game in hand on the Sabres).

And if they win the three games in hand they have on the (b-b-b-b-but) Flyers they're just a point behind for the last wild card spot...

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It's above 50% in points percentage, but the problem is that too many fans still look at that record use it in the traditional sense, when the team has actually won 16 games and lost 24. The NHL is creating the illusion of parity so that, even though the Sabres would have to go on a 9-game winning streak to have won more than they lost, fans will stay say "Hey man, we're above .500 now!"

By that reasoning, the "sub-.500" (21 wins in 43 games) Oilers are a playoff team  :VeryCool:

I don't think there's as much an "illusion" of parity as actual parity in the league. Six teams in the East are between 44 and 49 points. Seven teams in the West are between 43 and 49. The only teams "out of it" look like Arizona and Colorado. Hell, if the Islanders won their five games in hand they'd be tied with the (b-b-b-but) Flyers.

11 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

People love illusions, false hope, and fake news. Me: I love sheep.

While I agree the Sabres are NOT yet above .500 (as in wins-losses), what DOES matter is the points, and in that sense, yes, they have more than half the possible points.

Still not a ".500" team in my book (that would reward too much a league high 9 OT/SO losses), but the points are what they are, and they are plain as day.

That all said, a very nice trend of winning 3 of their last 4, garnering 7 out of a possible 8 points in that stretch.

The team definitely is moving in the right direction and are not too far off from a playoff spot...thanks to a combination of better Sabres play and weak play by those teams ahead of them in the Atlantic division.

Consistent 5 on 5 scoring and the PK continue to be a problem for this team, but given the youth on the roster, that is understandable.  Teams can no longer count on a game vs the Sabres to be a "gimme".

Goaltending-wise, the team could always use a bit more, but the combination of Lehner and Nilsson to this point has been just about right for this team in its current competitive cycle.

I know Lehner doesn't have many fans on this board, and I myself am not a huge Lehner fan, but I also am not a big detractor of his, and I think his 2.53 GAA and .921% with 1,587 minutes played are respectable given the situation he and his team are in. Now...whether the man wilts under pressure or doesn't make "that one save" when his team needs it the most, I cannot say. Haven't watched enough Sabres games this year to comment on that, but the numbers for him and the team aren't too shabby for a team not many were counting on to do anything this season.

His backup, Anders Nilsson, has done a pretty good job in relief, posting a 2.37 GAA and a .930% with 835 minutes played....and he has won 7 out of his 14 starts/appearances.  Five hundred and a decent GAA and Sv% is all you are really asking your back up to do, and Nilsson has done that.

While the younger goalie prospects continue to simmer, I think this tandem is just fine for the Sabres right now.

Get those goalies a bit more consistent goal scoring and tighten up the PK some more, and they will look even better than what they are till Buffalo can find a true #1 netminder.

But yea, nice run by Buffalo, nice season so far for them.

.500 they are not, and their chances of making the post season this year are still not great, but Sabres fans, as a whole, HAVE to be pleased the way this team seems to be slowly but surely rounding out.

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The question now is can we put a streak together to put us in the game this year?  I know we are not going to do what Columbus did, but we have to do better than win one, lose one consistently.  But Bylsma has them on the right track.  The impressive win in NY over the Rangers, then they had the Blackhawks on the ropes before they allowed that late goal, and then the comeback vs a red hot Winnipeg team and now they beat one of those teams the likely would have to catch?  Tampa being maybe one of them and tomorrow we play them.  Tampa has had major problems of late.  They have been blown out of games and this is a a chance for the Sabres to really take a big step forward by beating them tomorrow. I like our chances.   But Lehner might get the call?  Not sure.  He seems hell bent on switching them off.  I personally wish they would make a deal to get Miller back and wonder if Miller or the Sabres would be interested?   To me Miller would be just what we need.  He has been on fire in Vancouver even though the team in front of him is very average or below.  He is not going anywhere with the Canucks.  But if it does not ever happen are these two guys good enough?  I am not sure.  The team is moving along well.  But they need more talent on top of what they have and probably at the blue line.  Ristolainen and Begosiain are fine.  And Fransen has been very good of late.  There are some young guys that have come up from the Americans that have played well.  Baptiste may get another call soon.  At last check I believe he led the AHL in goals?  The kid is not that big but he can score.   I hope that the Sabres can put together a streak to put them right in the thick of it.  They are only like 3-4 points out.

The only streak they have going is in their underwear.

J/k lol

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Wow only three mentions of Miller? Everything OK HJ?

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

The only streak they have going is in their underwear.

J/k lol

Gee, and this coming from a Sharks fan.  A team we own thoroughly.  Cant wait to play them again. WE will beat the daylights out of them again

Sabres just got Ennis back and are hanging around, he is like a solid addition at the deadline after missing 30 games.

Worst division in Hockey has only one lock and two more teams from it have to make it so why not?

Ottawa is meh, Boston doesn't know what they are, Detroit is awful, Toronto is playing great but could fold, Buffalo seems to me to have about as good of a shot to sneak into one of the bottom tier spots as anyone.

Archived