Today in Flyers History....

Today in Flyers history 1984 the Flyers beat the Edmonton Oilers 7-5 to break the Oilers 15 game unbeaten streak to start the season.  The Flyers were the youngest team in the league and were led by rookie coach Mike Keenan.  They made it all the way to the finals after taking out the Rangers, Islanders, and Nordiques along the way before losing the Cup in 5 games to those same Oilers.

An extended clip of highlights from the game can be found here.

This extremely exciting game and date are also very personally significant to me as that Sunday night in 1984 was my first ever Flyers game.  I had never seen hockey in my life and didn’t know what to expect.  Going to that game changed my life forever as I may have never taken an interest in hockey if I hadn’t attended (or if it had been a boring game between 2 bad teams).

Sadly 34  years ago on this date we lost Pelle Lindbergh who features prominently in the above video (and ended up winning the Vezina Trophy).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, intheslot said:

On this day in 1984, the Flyers retired Bobby Clarke's no. 16 in a pre-game ceremony before hosting the Whalers.

I do recall at my first Flyers game that I referenced in post #102 above that the guy who invited us was talking about how they were going to have the ceremony in a few days so that fits!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, Poulin20 said:

I do recall at my first Flyers game that I referenced in post #102 above that the guy who invited us was talking about how they were going to have the ceremony in a few days so that fits!

So i guess you remember this...today in history...1979....wow...i was only 8...

On Dec. 8, 1979, Ron Hextall of the Philadelphia Flyers became the first goaltender in the history of the National Hockey League to score a goal by shooting the puck into the net.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

On Dec. 8, 1979, Ron Hextall of the Philadelphia Flyers became the first goaltender in the history of the National Hockey League to score a goal by shooting the puck into the net.

I don't remember how close it was to hitting the post. Still a bullet from Ron. Love how happy the guys are for him. I would have given my left nut and my spleen for a goalie like that and I'm sure that's how they felt.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Dec. 8, 1987.  You were slightly older.

Remember that like it was just yesterday.  Well, maybe the day before yesterday.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Dec. 8, 1987.  You were slightly older.

Remember that like it was just yesterday.  Well, maybe the day before yesterday.

I remember that ....damn I was a freshman in college .....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I remember that ....damn I was a freshman in college .....

Same.

And my freshman roommate was a Penguins fan.  I don't think he ever heard of a Penguin before Lemieux, but he was a "fan."

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 11:46 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Ohhh do I remember it (in 1987...I know it was just a transposition typo).  I remember it for all the wrong reasons though. 

Following the 1986-1987 SCF loss we jumped on the bandwagon and got season tickets.  We were going to a lot of games but then my dad had a business trip for this game and I had a French test the next day.  My mom who worked at my school SOLD the tickets to another teacher.  I was bummed enough about not being able to go to the game but then when I was listening on the radio (cable wasn't available at my house yet) and I heard this happen I flew into a rage at my mom for selling the tickets.  The people who bought the tickets were thrilled and couldn't stop talking about it.  When my mom told them to tone it down because it was a sore spot with me, they made me and my brother a makeshift plaque with Hexy's photo, a ticket stub from the game, and a copy of the newspaper article on the back of it for Christmas.

So yeah I remember well it but not as fondly as others.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm both impressed and horrified that you would admit to taking French to a buncha Flyer fans!

Let the record show that it was by force rather than by choice that the school required us to take French. :lookingboard:

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2019 at 2:27 PM, ruxpin said:

Maybe not coincidentally, that's what he puts in the sheep's feed.  

Lol, just seeing this for the first time, can't believe I missed OR's tagging me. 

I've mostly ceased and desisted with the concrete abutment jokes. Even I can take a hint, it just takes awhile sometimes.

Just now, elmatus said:

Err... some of us have more than just taken French at school. :cough cough:

Lol. It was just a joke, not a good one really. Some of my best friends are French speakers. Like Podein25 Jr - she's fluent in French, English and Millennial. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Lol. It was just a joke, not a good one really. Some of my best friends are French speakers. Like Podein25 Jr - she's fluent in French, English and Millennial. 

Millennial.....love it!!!!

Definitely a language that makes me feel all of my years!!!!

25 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Millennial.....love it!!!!

Definitely a language that makes me feel all of my years!!!!

The other day we were texting about something, like arguing over some trivial thing , and she hit me with the "Ok boomer" (don't know if you know that particular meme), which is hilarious because a) I'm not actually a boomer; b) she knows that; c) she knows I know she knows that.  Anyway, funny stuff.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

The other day we were texting about something, like arguing over some trivial thing , and she hit me with the "Ok boomer" (don't know if you know that particular meme), which is hilarious because a) I'm not actually a boomer; b) she knows that; c) she knows I know she knows that.  Anyway, funny stuff.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On this day, March 6th 2020 the Flyers are tied for first place in the division with 16 games to go in the season.  The last time that happened was (I'll edit this post when I figure it out).  

• Like 3