Ilkka Sinisalo--RIP

Damn...

The Flyers announced that Ilkka Sinisalo, a former player and long-time scout with the organization, died peacefully with his family by his side in Finland on Wednesday morning. He was 58.

“Ilkka was a true friend and loyal member of the Flyers,” said Paul Holmgren, the Flyers’ president, in a statement. “He gave a great deal of his time, effort and talents to the organization in several capacities, as a player and long-time scout, to bring this franchise success on and off the ice. Most important to all that knew him, he was a great person, a loving husband, father and grandfather. His presence and friendship will be deeply missed by all that knew him.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife of over 35 years, Carina, his sons Niklas and Tomas, as well as Tomas’ wife, Maija, and their children, Peter and Matilda.”

A talented forward, Sinisalo played for the Flyers from 1981-82 to 1989-90. He was a solid second-line winger who had 199 goals, 209 assists and 408 points in 526 career games with the Flyers.

Sinisalo scored more than 20 goals six times, including 36 in 1984-85 and 39 in 1985-86.

“Ilkka was a very good player, a great teammate, but most importantly an outstanding person and a terrific friend to us all,” general manager Ron Hextall said. “We’ve all had the pleasure to work with him for many years and he will be missed.”

Oh man that sucks!  93f7a9485b2fc7e24399c90b93968b04.jpg

What a crappy  week this is turning out to be.  Found out Monday wto close co-workers passed way, another has breast cancer and another needs his gallbladder out. 

Always liked Sinisalo.   Was a terrific player for the Flyers during the 80's.  He will truly be missed. 

Bummer

I always liked him.

He was great on Sega Genesis. It came out in 1989, which was Ilkka's last year as a Flyer. He could fly down the wing and score with quick wristers (it had this glitch you could exploit and it worked great with guys who were fast like Ilkka)

RIP Ilkka. One of the faster Flyers, who wasn't just speedy, he was a good playmaker, and a lightning quick release on his shot. I met him at a baseball card show in Thorndale, PA about 15 years ago. One of the nicer people I have ever met and shook hands with. No ego, no attitude like a typical pro athlete. He just seemed like a down to Earth, regular guy who was a heck of a hockey player. I have his autograph on his hockey card and my old Tim Kerr jersey. Sad day.

A very sad day indeed for Flyer fans everywhere. Wicked speed, solid skill, worked hard....and by all accounts, a really special human being. RIP Mr.Sinisalo, you went WAY to young!!  He just had one of those names that rolled off your tongue.

33 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

He just had one of those names that rolled off your tongue.

One of my earliest memories of attending some of my first home games as a kid... we were a few rows behind "sign-man" one night and Sinisalo potted two or three.  Sign-man's "Ilkka Scor-a Goal-a" sign will forever be etched into those fond memories :)  

1 hour ago, SKiFit said:

One of my earliest memories of attending some of my first home games as a kid... we were a few rows behind "sign-man" one night and Sinisalo potted two or three.  Sign-man's "Ilkka Scor-a Goal-a" sign will forever be etched into those fond memories :)  

I remember that Scor-a Goal-a sign!!  The sign man had some great ones! Must have been a game against Toronto or a playoff game, those were the days you could not watch regular season Flyer games, ha....I used to walk to the main library every week just to read a week old Philadelphia paper to get some Flyer news.

Archived