Meltzer Recaps Player Exit Interviews

radoran

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=84472

Some interesting things. A few quick takeaways:

Giroux and Couturier both said they weren't 100% for the whole season but improved down the stretch. 

Simmonds vehemently backs Giroux as captain.

Schultz and MDZ will not be back. MDZ seemed disappointed, but understood.

Gotstobehere said he wasn't hampered by injury, but lost confidence in his game before getting it back when he deiced to "go out there and have fun". Curiously Vecchione said Hakstol told him to "just go out and have fun."

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Giroux and Couturier both said they weren't 100% for the whole season but improved down the stretch.

Not surprised...we have speculated this very thing for weeks now.  Not going to rehash that entire thread.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Schultz and MDZ will not be back. MDZ seemed disappointed, but understood

Not surprised about Schultz.  Thought MDZ might be around 1 more year.  So moving forward...in no particular order we have for next year:

1. Provorov
  2. Ghost
  3. Gudas
  4. Morin (makes team?)
  5. Hagg (makes team?)
  6. Manning
  7. McDud (does this mean he is back?)

Does Sanheim now have a chance to make the team and the Flyers go with 3 rookies on blue line or do they bring a cheap vetern D-man to fill gap?

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Not surprised about Schultz.  Thought MDZ might be around 1 more year.  So moving forward...in no particular order we have for next year:

1. Provorov
  2. Ghost
  3. Gudas
  4. Morin (makes team?)
  5. Hagg (makes team?)
  6. Manning
  7. McDud (does this mean he is back?)

Does Sanheim now have a chance to make the team and the Flyers go with 3 rookies on blue line or do they bring a cheap vetern D-man to fill gap?

I doubt MDZ was looking for a one year deal. Could have contributed to the decision.

MacDud isn't going anywhere and I doubt he's slotted in as the 7.

I don't think you'll see three rookies on the back end.

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

I doubt MDZ was looking for a one year deal. Could have contributed to the decision.

MacDud isn't going anywhere and I doubt he's slotted in as the 7.

I don't think you'll see three rookies on the back end.

MacDonald is a better option than Manning without question. 

Our blueline next year will most likely be:

-Provorov

-Gostisbehere

-Gudas

-Hagg

-MacDonald

-Morin

-Manning 

3 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Giroux improved down the stretch? is he serious? 

"felt like himself again" was the term used.

I'm not sure 4 goals, 27 points, -12 in 44 games from January through April should be what he wants from "himself" but his FO% went up significantly (57% Jan-Apr vs. 53% prior).

8 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

MacDonald is a better option than Manning without question. 

"Definitely an NHL Player" - Ron Hextall

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I don't think you'll see three rookies on the back end

I don't think so either...was just kind of throwing it out there.  Could be a potential 1st call up if someone goes down with an injury.

Just a crazy thought - maybe Hextall's plan all along is to soft tank next season, where the draft will be better (I'm assuming... is it the case??). Why tank in a bad draft year, especially when you have a number of expiring veterans and immovable contracts? 

So... next year, we have two rooks on the blueline to go with Provo and Ghost, maybe a few rookies up front (Lindblom?) and a rookie in goal as either the backup or potential starter if Neuvirth is the other one.

Sounds like a great setup for a soft tank, if you ask me. You get the benefit of giving rookies a lot of experience at the NHL level, start to build the core of the future, and get a nice high draft pick.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

Just a crazy thought - maybe Hextall's plan all along is to soft tank next season, where the draft will be better (I'm assuming... is it the case??). Why tank in a bad draft year, especially when you have a number of expiring veterans and immovable contracts? 

So... next year, we have two rooks on the blueline to go with Provo and Ghost, maybe a few rookies up front (Lindblom?) and a rookie in goal as either the backup or potential starter if Neuvirth is the other one.

Sounds like a great setup for a soft tank, if you ask me. You get the benefit of giving rookies a lot of experience at the NHL level, start to build the core of the future, and get a nice high draft pick.

Definitely a thought.  I understand it is WAY TOO EARLY to size up next years draft, but what do the experts think?  Any outstanding players that scream top 5?  Of course you do understand that a vast majority of this fan base wants an improvement next year as compared to this year.  I can just see the threads / comments now if this team misses the playoffs again.  Totally see your POV and I'm not entirely against it. 

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Definitely a thought.  I understand it is WAY TOO EARLY to size up next years draft, but what do the experts think?  Any outstanding players that scream top 5?  Of course you do understand that a vast majority of this fan base wants an improvement next year as compared to this year.  I can just see the threads / comments now if this team misses the playoffs again.  Totally see your POV and I'm not entirely against it. 

I know what you're saying - the fan base wants an improvement... but the fan base also wants to see the future *now* haha. So impatient. SO this might be a way to put the future in motion, and that might buy enough interest / goodwill to withstand another playoff miss. I would have no problem with a playoff miss - a TRUE playoff miss where we are picking in the top 5.

19 minutes ago, brelic said:

I know what you're saying - the fan base wants an improvement... but the fan base also wants to see the future *now* haha. So impatient. SO this might be a way to put the future in motion, and that might buy enough interest / goodwill to withstand another playoff miss. I would have no problem with a playoff miss - a TRUE playoff miss where we are picking in the top 5.

As a fanbase, the only other stretch that even compares to this current stretch of five years were the Jay Snider years and the opening of the franchise. That said, they were the sixth biggest draw in the NHL and sold 100.5% of their tickets at home.

If you give us a reason to care, we'll sing along forever.

FWIW, the Toronto Sun has the top pick in 2018 being a 17-year-old Swedish... defenceman.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/29/swedens-rasmus-dahlin-is-the-future-star-of-2018-nhl-draft

Here's Elite Prospects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018

@radoran

Thanks to "google" I found pretty much the same thing.  Also of note, for those that know way more about top prospects than I do, I found this WAY TOO EARLY, top 15 potential list.  I read that the top Russian listed as #1 has a very nice skill set, but that is all I know.

1. Andrei Svechnikov RW Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)
2. Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda HC (SHL)
3. Brady Tkachuk C Boston Univ. (NCAA)
4. Bode Wilde D U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)
5. Jared McIsaac D Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
6. Benoit-Olivier Groulx C/LW Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
7. Joseph Veleno C Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
8. Filip Zadina LW HC Dynamo Pardubice (Czech)
9. Adam Boqvist D Brynas IF J20 (SuperElit)
10. Anderson MacDonald RW Sherbooke Phoenix (QMJHL)
11. Ryan Merkley D Guelph Storm (OHL)
12. Alexander Khovanov C Irbis Kazan (MHL)
13. Akil Thomas C Niagara IceDogs (OHL) (My 2nd favorite player in the draft)
14. Evan Bouchard D London Knights (OHL)
15. Oliver Wahlstrom C D U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

55 minutes ago, brelic said:

I would have no problem with a playoff miss - a TRUE playoff miss where we are picking in the top 5.

that is the thing brel... a true playoff miss is better IMO as well b/c at least you are not stuck in mediocrity.    dont mean that to be negative but consistently trying to win while rebuilding is difficult and take more time.   At some point the fan-base deserves to see a step forward.  

As a Team we have not seen that step forward.   Sure we got to see Provorov and he looks to be a legit future #1 but we still missed the playoffs and will pick out of the top 10.   Not that you can't find a nice player picking later but this draft is pretty "meh" outside of the top 3-5 positions.      

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Giroux improved down the stretch? is he serious? 

His production was about the same per game since the trade deadline (aside from his +/- which got worlds better).

But only someone who had given up watching could say that Giroux hadn't improved down the stretch.  He looked like two different players.  

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I don't think so either...was just kind of throwing it out there.  Could be a potential 1st call up if someone goes down with an injury.

I think you'll see all three throughout the year.  

I think with Provo the team showed that if you put up, you play and they'll shut up.  

I don't think it'll be hard for Morin or Hagg to outplay Manning.  

I think they'll both have to do better than outplay MacDonald.

Unless Sanheim has real issues in camp and preseason, he's likely got MDZ's spot

Provo Mac

Ghost Morin/Hagg

Sanheim Gudas

#7 Manning.  

Mac watch your back bro.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@radoran

Thanks to "google" I found pretty much the same thing.  Also of note, for those that know way more about top prospects than I do, I found this WAY TOO EARLY, top 15 potential list.  I read that the top Russian listed as #1 has a very nice skill set, but that is all I know.

1. Andrei Svechnikov RW Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)
2. Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda HC (SHL)
3. Brady Tkachuk C Boston Univ. (NCAA)
4. Bode Wilde D U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)
5. Jared McIsaac D Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
6. Benoit-Olivier Groulx C/LW Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
7. Joseph Veleno C Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
8. Filip Zadina LW HC Dynamo Pardubice (Czech)
9. Adam Boqvist D Brynas IF J20 (SuperElit)
10. Anderson MacDonald RW Sherbooke Phoenix (QMJHL)
11. Ryan Merkley D Guelph Storm (OHL)
12. Alexander Khovanov C Irbis Kazan (MHL)
13. Akil Thomas C Niagara IceDogs (OHL) (My 2nd favorite player in the draft)
14. Evan Bouchard D London Knights (OHL)
15. Oliver Wahlstrom C D U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

Dahlin looked good in the WJHCs for Sweden...as a 16 year old. Pretty impressive. If the development curve continues he should be a good one.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Schultz and MDZ will not be back. MDZ seemed disappointed, but understood.

Would be nice to hear Hextall tell VandeVelde he isn't in the plan moving forward......

4 hours ago, brelic said:

Even if Hex doesn't want to tank next year, I'm not sure it's in his control really. We really have no reason to believe this team will be any better in 2017-18. Filppula isn't going to make such a huge difference, and that's really the only change of note for next year. If anything, I imagine we can expect much of the same as this year.

As far as next year's draft goes, it's definitely too early for the most part. I doubt there is any real sort of super prospect though. We tend to hear about the uber talented ones 2-3 years in advance, and I haven't heard of any of the 17-18 crowd. That doesn't mean there won't be some solid picks, but it's unlikely to be one of the generational talent variety that almost seems to have become a requirement for winning cups in recent years.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Even if Hex doesn't want to tank next year, I'm not sure it's in his control really. We really have no reason to believe this team will be any better in 2017-18. Filppula isn't going to make such a huge difference, and that's really the only change of note for next year. If anything, I imagine we can expect much of the same as this year.

As far as next year's draft goes, it's definitely too early for the most part. I doubt there is any real sort of super prospect though. We tend to hear about the uber talented ones 2-3 years in advance, and I haven't heard of any of the 17-18 crowd. That doesn't mean there won't be some solid picks, but it's unlikely to be one of the generational talent variety that almost seems to have become a requirement for winning cups in recent years.

I disagree. If they can find a good starter in net. (We'll say Mase just because)

If they can find a legit LW with some size to return G and Jake to the playmakers they were. (We'll just say Lindblom at LW)

And they can replace MDZ and Schultz with two young possible upgrades. (We'll say Hagg and Morin just because we've seen them two do ok in their debuts)

I think they can be better.

Combine that with Ivan and TK having a year under their belts even if it is just marginal improvement i think they can be better.

I think Hagg and Morin could both have a rough up and down start just like we saw with Ivan but by December level off and play better this blueline to me is key.

It is the link between the forwards and the goalie. It's huge if they can play better. Hagg and Morin both skate well and are physical and can help wear teams down.

We'll see sure it is a lot of HUGE ifs....but my fingers are crossed.

I'm a glass half full type of guy!!!

:beer:

I do hope you're right. I also don't mean to be overly cynical. I'm just not one to bank on rookies much. I think Provo was an anomaly, and I'm not sure any of the others will fare nearly as well. TK is probably a better benchmark for very talented rookies. He had some good runs, but he certainly wasn't consistent. In fact, he spent most of the year with little success at best.

That said, what you've noted is obviously still possible. I'm just not sure it's probable. I feel the more likely scenario is we'll see 1-2 more rookies next year, and they'll have a typical rookie year. They'll struggle to adapt to NHL speed for a good chunk of the season, but they'll learn a bunch and hopefully be better off for it in future seasons. All of that is clearly a great thing. I just don't think it's the sort of thing that makes a massive positive impact on a team.

I definitely hope I'm wrong and you're right!

Archived