2017-18 Flyers Objectives

flyer4ever

What are the goals for the Flyers this coming season? Is there any Hextall pressers out there I missed? Personally, I would love another lottery top 3 draft next year. Hopefully by 2020 the Flyers and their young guns are legitimate Cup contenders. Also, there is a great draft statistical analysis of first round picks on TSN.ca by Cullen. Very interesting. It definitely makes the point that Philly should make the pick at #2 and NOT trade down. enjoy the summer Flyer fans.

If you're suggesting the flyers pull a "sixers", I'm out.  The Sixers disgust me and I hope they crash and burn.  Any "fan" that is happy and proud of what the Sixers did should ask themselves if they are really a fan or not.

Having said that, this next season isn't all about winning I guess.  I want to see the reasons for Hextall not making any "splash" moves in the past 3 years.  I don't want to hear about this kid or that kid tearing it up in some novice league while the big team is putting garbage boring players out there every other night.  I want them to go out and play fast and dangerous.  If they don't win right now, I won't be too upset.  I want Hak to show us that there actually is a plan or strategy that he brings to the table.

If they do all of that and end up in the 3rd spot in the draft, that would be great.  Other than that, the only way I want to be in the third spot is if Hextall pulls some magic with a trade, or if they get dumb luck in the lottery again.

Main objective is to get some of the young players feet wet.  Let them play tough minutes, see who reacts well and who folds and go from there.  I could see a veteran or two getting moved as well.

26 minutes ago, icehole said:

If you're suggesting the flyers pull a "sixers", I'm out.

What does that mean. You'll have to explain to us folks who don't follow basketball.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

What does that mean. You'll have to explain to us folks who don't follow basketball.

I don't follow basketball either, but stupid me keeps listening to the radio.  I may be thinking of the wrong person, but I thought you were a Sixers fan?

Anyway, there seems to be a majority of Sixers fans that has fallen in love with the idea of losing to get high picks.  They would be perfectly fine with being the worst team in basketball until they get their perfect team together.  "We're missing a good #4.  I hope we lose enough to get X player in next year's draft."  "This team is good, but not quite good enough to contend for a championship...better tank to get the guy to help us contend". It never ends.

The sad thing is, Flyers fans are starting to join in.  We're already talking about getting a high pick in next year's draft???  Really?  The flyers have absolutely no chance of making any sort of splash this year and maybe play a little playoff hockey?  We're not expecting the cup, but we can't hope for some exciting, fun hockey?

Just now, icehole said:

I thought you were a Sixers fan?

Uh nope. Hockey and Football.

No Flyers won't draft this high again for awhile. If they can find a solid goalie tandem i can see them in the playoffs. Oh i know that is a big IF!!!

12 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

What are the goals for the Flyers this coming season? Is there any Hextall pressers out there I missed? Personally, I would love another lottery top 3 draft next year. Hopefully by 2020 the Flyers and their young guns are legitimate Cup contenders. Also, there is a great draft statistical analysis of first round picks on TSN.ca by Cullen. Very interesting. It definitely makes the point that Philly should make the pick at #2 and NOT trade down. enjoy the summer Flyer fans.

focus on the future...

My main goal is to see both the Coaching Staff take a step forward this year.  I am still not sold on Hak and this staff and think this is a pivotal year for him to be evaluated.  Also, want to see our "guns" actually prove that last year was an down year in terms of below average play.  Our "stars" need to produce during 5v5 play - results, not excuses.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

Anyway, there seems to be a majority of Sixers fans that has fallen in love with the idea of losing to get high picks.  They would be perfectly fine with being the worst team in basketball until they get their perfect team together.

Find me one person who "loves" the process.

I like the Sixers but I was afflicted with that during the 80's and the disease is chronic.

Not one of my buddies that follows hoops loves the process. In fact, many of them hate that this is now the  3rd "nucleus", me especially. Brett Brown has coached the hell out of these teams, getting D-league players to compete then; when they started winning, Hinkie shipped the good guys out.  That sucked, I hated it. 

However, Embiid, Simmons, Saric, and Fultz...that could really be a dominant core in a few years.  

the Sixers seem to feel the process needs to move forward so that's the reason to trade up, the assets were there...in hindsight it appears where the team is now is the vision Hinkie had, it just came 2 years too late.

For the Flyers I want to see young guys playing hard minutes, I want them to win more than they lose, I want them to be difficult to play against and challenge for a playoff spot. This team is not without talent.  I want the flyers to be a team you have to beat if you want to win the east or the cup, when they aren't winning it.  I want to see progress towards that end.

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I like the Sixers but I was afflicted with that during the 80's and the disease is chronic.

Not one of my buddies that follows hoops loves the process. In fact, many of them hate that this is now the  3rd "nucleus", me especially. Brett Brown has coached the hell out of these teams, getting D-league players to compete then; when they started winning, Hinkie shipped the good guys out.  That sucked, I hated it. 

However, Embiid, Simmons, Saric, and Fultz...that could really be a dominant core in a few years.  

the Sixers seem to feel the process needs to move forward so that's the reason to trade up, the assets were there...in hindsight it appears where the team is now is the vision Hinkie had, it just came 2 years too late.

For the Flyers I want to see young guys playing hard minutes, I want them to win more than they lose, I want them to be difficult to play against and challenge for a playoff spot. This team is not without talent.  I want the flyers to be a team you have to beat if you want to win the east or the cup, when they aren't winning it.  I want to see progress towards that end.

You don't want much eh? LOL

I want them to not be so bloody boring.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

"Hinkie died for our sins"  I think the other guy that died for sins was named Jesus.  So committing to the tank was loved so much that the fans are comparing the master mind behind the tank to Jesus.  Sure, it may have been painful, but everyone was on board.  Now, without making the playoffs, without sniffing the playoffs, and without even being better than a bottom 5 team in the past 5 years, the excitement for the Sixers has taken over the city.  The excitement for a team made up of 1 player that's played 31 games, 1 player that has 1 NBA season which he played 0 games, and a guy that got drafted last night, has taken over the city.  That may be considered love.

I understand...you're a fan that wants to stick by your team.  You like basketball so there's nothing you can do but follow along.  I'm in a similar situation with the flyers.  I've been really down on them, but I watch, and I will get excited when they get good again.  But I will criticize Hextall when he puts a bad team out there, and I will definitely never use terms like "trust the process", advocating losing.

If we use the # 2 pick for the sole source of getting Flower I might just be done with Hextall and the Flyers.   

Considering the source I will just say that I am 99.9999999999% sure that Flower is not going anywhere.   

@icehole

Sometimes I think you and I don't communicate very well. 

Where in my post did I even mention Hinkie's sacrifice ?

Other than begrudgingly admit where team is now is what he was trying to make happen.

I do see where I said I didn't like the repeated blowing up of the team, especially when they were competitive.

I have been on record in this forum as hating tanking, never advocating for it. My baseball team is the Orioles they sucked for 15 years, no one likes that. I have never advocated for the Flyers to do it.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@icehole

Sometimes I think you and I don't communicate very well. 

Where in my post did I even mention Hinkie's sacrifice ?

Other than begrudgingly admit where team is now is what he was trying to make happen.

I do see where I said I didn't like the repeated blowing up of the team, especially when they were competitive.

I have been on record in this forum as hating tanking, never advocating for it. My baseball team is the Orioles they sucked for 15 years, no one likes that. I have never advocated for the Flyers to do it.

That wouldnt be the first time :VeryCool:

You mentioned that you don't know anyone who liked the process.  I was just trying to say that I believe the majority thinks the process is great or amazing or the best thing the Sixers have ever done in the history of the Sixers.

If you are against the idea of losing for high picks, my comments aren't about you.  I don't know what I would do if Hextall would pull that BS.  I never thought I'd ever lose enthusiasm for the flyers, but this past year was tough for me.  I got rid of cable after the season, and I don't know if I will be able to watch the games.  I'm not really that bumbed about it either.  If Hextall pulled a Hinkie, I might just forget about the team all together.  Let's hope the flyers are a little more exciting this year, and I get back into it.

29 minutes ago, icehole said:

I was just trying to say that I believe the majority thinks the process is great or amazing or the best thing the Sixers have ever done in the history of the Sixers.

you couldn't be more wrong,

1983 Fo  Fo  Fo Fo

Was the last greatest thing in the history of the Sixers....not losing on purpose.

4 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

this is a little misleading, haha. As every good journalist knows, consider the source!

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 11.11.51 AM.png

Eklund used to actually have good sources on the Flyers, but he doesn't anymore 

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

you couldn't be more wrong,

1983 Fo  Fo  Fo Fo

Was the last greatest thing in the history of the Sixers....not losing on purpose.

Nobody can accuse me of being Mr. Sixer...i don't know what fo fo fo fo is.

22 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Eklund used to actually have good sources on the Flyers, but he doesn't anymore 

Yeah i read somewhere that janitor got fired by Ron...

:beer:

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i read somewhere that janitor got fired by Ron...

:beer:

Hate Ek all you want but he's been right on alot of Flyers moves pre-Hextall. Everyone called him an idiot when he was the first to call the Richards/Carter/Bryzgalov moves

12 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Hate Ek all you want but he's been right on alot of Flyers moves pre-Hextall. Everyone called him an idiot when he was the first to call the Richards/Carter/Bryzgalov moves

I don't hate him i find him very entertaining....down right some good comedy i can't even find on comedy central!!!

#darkinmamasbasement

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't hate him i find him very entertaining....down right some good comedy i can't even find on comedy central!!!

#darkinmamasbasement

I think people just take him too seriously. He just reports stuff that he hears

It's the people that actually pay for his website that I question 

4 hours ago, icehole said:

Nobody can accuse me of being Mr. Sixer...i don't know what fo fo fo fo is.

fo fo fo fo , is the quote the great Moses Malone used to describe the sweep the '83 Sixers made of the playoffs on the way to their last championship. 

widely considered one of the greatest NBA teams of the last 40 years, the '86  Celts, the '87 Lakers the '83 Sixers. the '96 Bulls this year's Warriors.

now you know.

1) See which young defensemen rise to the top in training camp. Start the process of them gelling as a unit and individually. Give some young dmen tough assignments on special teams and see how they react. 

2) At *least* start the process of finding the new franchise goalie. Hold an open legit open contest during TC between Stolarz, Lyons, Sandstrom and Hart. By the end of the season, a reasonable pecking order might not be written in stone, but it should at least exist. Make Stolarz *earn* NHL playing time, if one of the younger kids is better, send him down ....time for Stolarz to sink or swim, especially with this tremendous group of youngsters nipping at his heels.

3) Give Konency, Weal, Laughton more responsibility. Try them in different situations and see how they react.

4)Find out once and for all if Laughton is a legit NHL player. If not, time to move on.

Archived