Starting Goalie

jkgrossman

5 hours ago, hf101 said:

That's a good question.  It kind of is the annual question in Flyerland...

A week or so ago I thought Mason could be going to Vegas.  The two other greatest options for him - Calgary and Dallas addressed their goaltending needs.  Philly seems a likely destination again imo.   

btw,

:welcome:

With Dallas signing Bishop long term, I don't think they're really in the running anymore... or did something else happen that I missed?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The goalie UFA market is terrible.  Mason, imo, is the best of what's available.  But what's the market for him?  Not many starting goaltender jobs out there...

Would anyone consider offer sheeting Grubauer for somewhere between $1,962,968 to $3,925,975?  Would cost a second round pick.  Between $3,925,975 to $5,888,960 would cost a first and a third.

How soon do folks think Hart or Lyon are going to be ready?  I know 2-3 years has been bandied about, but is that realistic?  My sense is goalies take 4-5 years to really develop.  Grubauer would be a nice interim option.

If not the Flyers, and I needed a young goalie, I would strongly consider sheeting him.

1 minute ago, vis said:

Also, I suspect Mrazek will be on the trade market.  I don't really have much interest in him, but something to consider...

It really depends on how much the Flyers would have to give up to get him.

2 minutes ago, jkgrossman said:

It really depends on how much the Flyers would have to give up to get him.

There's that.  Also, apparently he had a terrible attitude last season, which was the reason he was exposed.  Not sure I want that on my team.

1 minute ago, vis said:

There's that.  Also, apparently he had a terrible attitude last season, which was the reason he was exposed.  Not sure I want that on my team.

Yeah, that's the book on Mrazek. Terrible work habits.

1 minute ago, vis said:

He'll also be a free agent next year.  I don't wanna give up something to get him only to have him leave next year.

Maybe even though he's an older goalie, maybe they should kick the tires on seeing what they could get for Craig Anderson for a year or so. Even at 36, why not bring him in for a year at 4 mil. ? 

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I don't know if this answers the question but I would rather have Mason back on a 2-3 year deal.   

Honestly, I think that it won't matter who are goalie is.  It's the defense that needs to be improved.

10 minutes ago, jkgrossman said:

He'll also be a free agent next year.  I don't wanna give up something to get him only to have him leave next year.

I think if you were inclined to trade for him, you would want to talk to his agent first to see if you could extend him for a longer term.

Still the attitude issues are problematic enough.  

13 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Maybe even though he's an older goalie, maybe they should kick the tires on seeing what they could get for Craig Anderson for a year or so. Even at 36, why not bring him in for a year at 4 mil. ? 

If Ottawa is ready to Double Down on Hammond, great... my bigger problem is what they'll want for Andersen.  

Can I show you something in a Michael Raffl or Matt Read?  

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If Ottawa is ready to Double Down on Hammond, great... my bigger problem is what they'll want for Andersen.  

Can I show you something in a Michael Raffl or Matt Read?  

I'd even consider throwing in a metallic orange and black Hagg at this point, if I could get a prospect back. 

51 minutes ago, vis said:

The goalie UFA market is terrible.  Mason, imo, is the best of what's available.  But what's the market for him?  Not many starting goaltender jobs out there...

Would anyone consider offer sheeting Grubauer for somewhere between $1,962,968 to $3,925,975?  Would cost a second round pick.  Between $3,925,975 to $5,888,960 would cost a first and a third.

How soon do folks think Hart or Lyon are going to be ready?  I know 2-3 years has been bandied about, but is that realistic?  My sense is goalies take 4-5 years to really develop.  Grubauer would be a nice interim option.

If not the Flyers, and I needed a young goalie, I would strongly consider sheeting him.

Good question. 

Price, who is an exception because he was ranked so highly (#5 overall), was in the league at 20, and had his best and most consistent streak of seasons from 26-29 years old.

Quick was 22 going on 23.

Lundqvist was 23.

Fleury was in at 19 years old, and he was BRUTALIZED. So much so that he spent the entire next season in the A.

He never recovered his game until he was 23.

Ward was in as a 21 year old, had a BRUTAL season (.882 save %), but won the Conn Smythe.

The next season he was sub .900 again, and .906 the season after.

It's not until he was 24 that he found his consistent game in-season.

Bishop was 26 before he had any meaningful role and stats, and even then it was 22 games split between the Sens and Bolts. 

Rinne was 26.

It's hard to say, but I think those who expect Hart (18 years old) or Sandstrom (20 years old) to be the 'guy' in a few years will probably be disappointed. Sandstrom has a shot, but Hart is probably at least 5 years away before being a consistent starter.

EDIT: Just wanted to add some comparables for Sandstrom.

At his age, Lundqvist posted a .948 in the SEL. Sandstrom just posted a .903.

Can't really think of any other Swedish goalies right now, lol.

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

It's hard to say, but I think those who expect Hart (18 years old) or Sandstrom (20 years old) to be the 'guy' in a few years will probably be disappointed. Sandstrom has a shot, but Hart is probably at least 5 years away before being a consistent starter.

This is where I am at this point.  I think the Flyers are really 4-5 years out from any of these kids being ready as a full-time starter.  No offense to Stolarz, but I am just not sold on him.  Maybe others feel differently.  

So, do you sign a UFA goalie now for 2/3 years knowing that you're going to have to find someone again in several years?  What's the point of signing a UFA to "mentor" the young guys since they won't be here to mentor until after his contract runs?  So, it makes more sense to me now to try to acquire a 25 year-old such as Grubauer.

Don't get me wrong: they still need to upgrade the position in the short term if they cannot acquire Grubauer or someone like him.  I don't want the young d-men playing in front of Neuvirth and Stolarz.

5 minutes ago, vis said:

This is where I am at this point.  I think the Flyers are really 4-5 years out from any of these kids being ready as a full-time starter.  No offense to Stolarz, but I am just not sold on him.  Maybe others feel differently.  

So, do you sign a UFA goalie now for 2/3 years knowing that you're going to have to find someone again in several years?  What's the point of signing a UFA to "mentor" the young guys since they won't be here to mentor until after his contract runs?  So, it makes more sense to me now to try to acquire a 25 year-old such as Grubauer.

Don't get me wrong: they still need to upgrade the position in the short term if they cannot acquire Grubauer or someone like him.  I don't want the young d-men playing in front of Neuvirth and Stolarz.

Good questions... I like the idea of a mid-20s guy with upside. Who knows? It's very possible that NONE of our goalie prospects pan out, Hart included. We'd like to think one will, but they more often don't. So better to be prepared.

I'd go 4 years max contract on whoever we sign.

In that light, I'd have no problem with Mason either.

Just now, FD19372 said:

I'd even consider throwing in a metallic orange and black Hagg at this point.

I don't know.  I think Hagg is ready to play.  If there's not going to be any room for him going forward, I'd think we could get a pretty decent bounty for him after he plays a year.  

59 minutes ago, brelic said:

Good question. 

Price, who is an exception because he was ranked so highly (#5 overall), was in the league at 20, and had his best and most consistent streak of seasons from 26-29 years old.

Quick was 22 going on 23.

Lundqvist was 23.

Fleury was in at 19 years old, and he was BRUTALIZED. So much so that he spent the entire next season in the A.

Ward was in as a 21 year old, had a BRUTAL season (.882 save %), but won the Conn Smythe.

The next season he was sub .900 again, and .906 the season after.

It's not until he was 24 that he found his consistent game in-season.

Bishop was 26 before he had any meaningful role and stats, and even then it was 22 games split between the Sens and Bolts. 

Rinne was 26.

EDIT: Just wanted to add some comparables for Sandstrom.

At his age, Lundqvist posted a .948 in the SEL. Sandstrom just posted a .903.

Can't really think of any other Swedish goalies right now, lol.

It seems like expecting Sandstrom to be a potential "the guy" in 2-3 years and Hart to potentially be one in 3-5 years isn't crazy though which is what I legitimately think most of us are thinking.

Which is why we want a goalie signed for a 3 year deal now and aren't worrying about getting a superstar.  

It's my hope that if we can get one for just 2 years, Stolarz can progress to the point of being a 1a when Sandstrom has had a year of AHL under his belt and looks good enough to be a 1b.  But Stolie needs minutes to make that happen. 

43 minutes ago, vis said:

No offense to Stolarz, but I am just not sold on him.

I've heard wildly varying reports about him. Everything from he's clocking the A, to being exposed as slow... It's pretty odd actually.

His play with the Flyers was pretty good, but it was not a large enough sample size for anyone to feel comfortable relying on his play.

I sit right by you in the "i'm not sold on this guy" camp.

Put me down for Anders Nilsson. He's 6'6, athletic....had a respectable..926 Save % on a pretty crappy Sabres team last year. A couple years ago he threw up a .935 year in the KHL. I think this guy is just starting to get it, still has tons of upside and would sign a cheap deal for 2 years in return for a chance to prove himself. It would be a sneaky good move by Hexy....the more I think about it, the more I like it.

He would make a perfect stop gap kinda thing. If  2 of the kids end up better eventually, he's still an asset to move for picks etc. He's legit enough to start a fair number of games, but just as importantly would not block one of the kids if they come out red hot in training camp. These 4 guys are talented enough, one of them could go on a shut out streak in TC and outright steal a spot. Maybe a 25% chance that happens, not likely, but like I said, these are 4 talented dudes that are gonna be dueling.

18 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He's never played 30 games in a season. He's 908 in his career. And he played in Buffalo.

I think the defensive squad that was the Oilers 2 years ago helped deflate that SV% a bit. Before Larsson got there, they sucked in their own end. I just think the guy is underrated. Maybe a Neuvy and Nilsson duo, with Stolarz stealing starts here and there. Could sign him for a mill a year, a nice cheap stop gap guy. Pulling off anything over .920 with that horrid Sabres defense in front of him, geez, you could argue that Philly with 3 vets and 3 rookies would play considerably better than Buffalo did, maybe even producing way better stats.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

Fleury spent the following season in the A because of the lock-out 

Archived