Free Agency/Goalie Predictions

vis

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Don't necessarily trust the source but.....

What a snow flake push over he turned out to be, to heck with Mason. Personally though I have a feeling that the Flyers will actually make a trade for a goalie of decent talent.

Carter Hart & Sandstrom are years away, and Lyon and Stolie are not exactly what you call shoe ins for the starting goalie spot.

I think Hextall has a plan to trade for a goalie and I think he has had a plan "trade scenario" for sometime now.

I think itwill be a surprise trade for someone that can win now and in the future and not so much as a stop gap for future incoming talent.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

What a snow flake push over he turned out to be, to heck with Mason.

So, you've met Billy Elliott then? :VeryCool:

I get that Mason wanted too much and/or for too long, so now he can hope to ride out the Twins' golden years in Vancouver or embody the next episode of The Sean Burke Story: "Nothing is Quick in the Desert".

:cheers:

4 hours ago, albertaflyer said:

Kinkaid. Decent stats on a bad Devils team. Only 27 and would not cost much. Still think Weal ends up here. The only team that can give him more minutes is the Canucks. But he better get a huge raise. Cost of living in Vancouver is insane.

Possibly.  I could see Ronnie going off the board here on a goaltender.  His stats are OK for playing behind that defense.  But he's never carried the load.  One injury to Neuvirth and are they comfortable rolling with him for a long stretch?  At least it would likely give Stolarz some exposure.  Still would rather see a vet back there.

3 hours ago, darthbal said:

Just saw that Hartnell has been bought out by Columbus... Any chances that the Flyers might bring him back on a small salary to possibly help  G get his game back, and maybe add some secondary scoring?

Trade for Fleury or maybe, somehow, some way, Price. Money way better spent. Even trade for Galchenyuk. For God's sake, enough with the retreads. If you're going down the road of retreads get this guy ...

Bobrovsky.png

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's a decent contract all around if true. 

Meh. Slightly better goaltending numbers like in save % and GAA, although I do like the contract terms, if true.

Agreed. While not sold on him, his numbers were slightly better than Mason and the Flyers end up spending less. A "starter" for under $3mil is a pretty good deal for Hexy.

56 minutes ago, radoran said:

So, you've met Billy Elliott then? :VeryCool:

I get that Mason wanted too much and/or for too long, so now he can hope to ride out the Twins' golden years in Vancouver or embody the next episode of The Sean Burke Story: "Nothing is Quick in the Desert".

:cheers:

Hell than maybe he sucks bad like Mason and we get back into the top 10 again in next years draft because of Ellitott. So we have our top 10 or top 5 1st round pick and than we have Blues 11th overall 1st round pick next year. SWEET

Ugh.  Goaltending is going to be just a tad erratic for the next two years.  Hope when Elliott is ice cold, Neuvirth isn't and vice versa.  Not a great combo, these two.  At least the terms, if accurate, are manageable and they can jettison one of these two without costing themselves much.  What does the FA market look like next year?

I realize you have to get respectable goaltending. The kids coming up can not be part of a sh** show. I just do not like the 3 years part. In 1 or 2 years we will be viewing this Elliot deal like we view Read's deal now....a waste. 

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I realize you have to get respectable goaltending. The kids coming up can not be part of a sh** show. I just do not like the 3 years part. In 1 or 2 years we will be viewing this Elliot deal like we view Read's deal now....a waste. 

Maybe we can then trade Elliott for Fleury! :thumbsu::eyeroll:

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Maybe we can then trade Elliott for Fleury! :thumbsu::eyeroll:

ha, careful what you ask for.....but seriously, 3 years for a goalie who is already showing signs of declining?  I know the options were iffy, but THIS is iffy.

4 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

ha, careful what you ask for.....but seriously, 3 years for a goalie who is already showing signs of declining?  I know the options were iffy, but THIS is iffy.

Goaltending drama and the Flyers...perfect together.

Just now, FD19372 said:

Goaltending drama and the Flyers...perfect together.

The only thing that has me slightly feeling ok is Hexy knows goaltending better than I do, and he deserves the benefit of the doubt after many solid moves.

13 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

You think so? If one of the kids is ready, Elliott can be the veteran backup. Nothing wrong with that!

16 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I am so far ahead of you...

:hocky:

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The only thing that has me slightly feeling ok is Hexy knows goaltending better than I do, and he deserves the benefit of the doubt after many solid moves.

I'll give you that...but 3 years is a bit long for slight improvement. I hope and pray Stolarz or Hart will be ready to take over full time before then.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

You think so? If one of the kids is ready, Elliott can be the veteran backup. Nothing wrong with that!

OR....he can be the veteran sieve stowed away in the AHL to save a mill.....

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Guess this will be announced Saturday?

I'm ok with this if that's what he's signing for and we move Neuvirth. Mason was probably asking for double that in length and salary 

What really gives me pause for thought is this....does anyone think Philly's rookie-laden defense will be better than the Flames defense last season?  Brian started out DREADFUL, then eventually picked up steam. There were times when he really stunk out the joint though....with a much better defense on hand than the Flyers will probably have. Just say'in......

40 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I'm ok with a 3 year deal it's almost perfect...here is why...

1st year Hart and Sandstrom are playing their last years on their junior clubs.

Cool.

2nd year Hart and Sandstrom comes over and get their feet wet starting in the AHL....both will fight it out for the starter spot and 1st year of their entry level deals.

3rd year as impressive as they both are you'd almost expect them both to need someone more seasoning and whomever the backup was in the in the AHL will certainly need some experience manning the net on his own heading into next year.

So for the conversation's sake let's pretend Elliot did ok holding down the fort so you go ahead and extend him one more year so you'll have one experienced goalie.

So now also in their last years on their entry level deals let's say Hart was the more impressive one and did well his 2nd year of AHL play so now he can backup Elliot in net.

Sandstrom gets to be the starter in the AHL.

Now after that year you will have an idea where they are headed.

Is Hart ready to take over?

Can Sandstrom come up now and back him up?

Or does Elliot get another deal or sign another vet.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

What really gives me pause for thought is this....does anyone think Philly's rookie-laden defense will be better than the Flames defense last season?  Brian started out DREADFUL, then eventually picked up steam. There were times when he really stunk out the joint though....with a much better defense on hand than the Flyers will probably have. Just say'in......

No.  And Elliott being a disaster will only make things worse for the defensemen.  

Don't forget that Elliott singlehandedly lost the first round for the Flames.  He was Brutal.

Going to be another long season if that indeed is the tandem they go with...

Archived