Free Agency/Goalie Predictions

vis

So...with July 1 days away, what predictions do you have in terms of free agency and the goaltender situation?

Do the Flyers retain Weal?

How do they address goaltending?  Who do you want/think they will get?

Do they sign another UFA, e.g., a veteran d-man or forward?

Does Hextall make a trade of substance?

Do you think VV returns?

Any other predictions/thoughts on this team?

I think Weal ends up elsewhere.  He's got a chance to get paid, and he should take it.  It's a shame the Flyers did see potential in him sooner.  Should have been here after camp.

I think they will sign a goalie on the first day of UFA.  Really have no idea who it will be.  I wonder if Elliot and Mason are just using the Jets to run up the price on the Flyers.  Why would anyone go there over the Flyers?  I wish Hextall would take a run at Grubauer via trade or offer sheet, but i think they end up with Bernier.

I don't think they will sign anyone else now, but I can see them signing a vet d-man to a tryout contract later in the summer.

I think it's doubtful that Hextall makes a trade, but I wouldn't be shocked.  However, I don't see a need for Duchese.  I don't think Hextall will part with assets to obtain Landeskog (though I think he'd be a nice fit).  I mentioned that maybe they kick the tires on a trade with the Caps for Grubauer, but (a) the Caps trading him within the conference doesn't seem likely to me and (b) what do we have that the Caps would want?  I would think they want roster players, no?

I do not think VV returns.  Too many forwards on the roster.

I will say this: it's very quiet in Flyerland.  I'm sure Hextall has had some contact with goaltenders by now.  I like that nothing has leaked.  Seems to me that the Flyers are in control of whatever they are planning.  No need to leak things.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinkaid. Decent stats on a bad Devils team. Only 27 and would not cost much. Still think Weal ends up here. The only team that can give him more minutes is the Canucks. But he better get a huge raise. Cost of living in Vancouver is insane.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Do the Flyers retain Weal?  I have a feeling he is going to get paid more than what Hextall is willing to give here.

How do they address goaltending?  Who do you want/think they will get?  I think it is Bernier.   Although, I would be fine if Mason was resigned to a 2 year deal.

Do they sign another UFA, e.g., a veteran d-man or forward? I could see a vet dman but not sure we really need to add anyone frankly.

Does Hextall make a trade of substance?  Nope.   Stay the course... unless there is a trade that you cant refuse but they are few and far b/t these days.

Do you think VV returns?  God, I hope not but until those naked pics of Hak that VDV has surface I really do think they will sign him - even if he is stashed in AHL until Hak gets his way and puts him in the lineup over TK - you know b/c TK will have to be "sent a message" for some stupid reason.

Any other predictions/thoughts on this team?  Another bubble year but the future is bright.   Hope to see Jake and G rebound be somewhat good 5v5.   TK scores 20 this year.  Hak is fired after the season.

Does Hextall make a trade of substance?  Nope.   Stay the course... unless there is a trade that you cant refuse but they are few and far b/t these days.

Just like the Schenn deal - one could certainly come up...

Any other predictions/thoughts on this team?  Another bubble year but the future is bright.   Hope to see Jake and G rebound be somewhat good 5v5.   TK scores 20 this year.  Hak is fired after the season.

And the great circle of the Flyers organization of life continues to turn...

Just saw that Hartnell has been bought out by Columbus... Any chances that the Flyers might bring him back on a small salary to possibly help  G get his game back, and maybe add some secondary scoring?

30 minutes ago, darthbal said:

Just saw that Hartnell has been bought out by Columbus... Any chances that the Flyers might bring him back on a small salary to possibly help  G get his game back, and maybe add some secondary scoring?

I think they're going to give the young kids every chance to make the roster which doesn't give a lot of space for Hartnell.

I'd say they would like to see Lindblom or Konecny really earn that top line LW spot.

34 minutes ago, darthbal said:

Ya, pretty sure Hextall is done with the old Flyer recycling program. I know I am.

If he wants to sign a one day when he decides to retire I'm all in.

48 minutes ago, darthbal said:

that ship has sailed .....

Just now, RJ8812 said:

Not really. I've seen on other boards people wanting to bring him back 

17 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Hextall traded Hartnell for garbage to literally get rid of him and you guys some people think he would bring him back????

There we go, then

:cheers:

1 minute ago, Adamflyers said:

Do we really think Weal's price tag will go up that high on such a small body of work?  Has nothing been learned from Buffalo's spectacular signing of Ville Leino? :hehe:

Hey if McDud can cash out after 19 games....

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Hey if McDud can cash out after 19 games....

I guess the same mistakes will continue to be made over and over until one guy pans out and the GM can look like a genius 

3 minutes ago, Adamflyers said:

I guess the same mistakes will continue to be made over and over until one guy pans out and the GM can look like a genius 

That's the year when the goalie and coach catch a break and the gm gets fired.

Goalie preferences.....

1)Bernier (God help us!)

2)Anders Nillson

3)Brian Elliott

4)Kieth Kincade

5)Ryan Miller.

I really want a 1 year deal, 2 at the MOST. Goalies can move up the list by accepting a 1 year deal.

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I really want a 1 year deal, 2 at the MOST. Goalies can move up the list by accepting a 1 year deal.

It's GOT to be a two year deal. After they fire Hakstol after 17-18 they're going to need someone else to blame in 18-19.

:hocky:

I guess I'm leaning towards Nilsson. He gives me the fewest heebie jeebies at this point.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

I guess I'm leaning towards Nilsson. He gives me the fewest heebie jeebies at this point.

Excellent, when we sign him and he sucks, I will have somebody else to take the heat with me!

5 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Since he's the guy I wanted the least if there had been an opportunity I would have bet a TON that they were going to go after him...

Glad to see they're upgrading from 2.66/.908 to 2.55/.910

I am, of course, going to run the Billy Elliott:smallTM: reference into the damn ground. I you don't listen too too closely you can replace "ballet" with "hockey" in this clip...

Too bad about Mason.  To be honest, I was hoping they might bring him back for a couple years.  Injuries of course were always an issue with him, but given what was in front of him, I thought he did a very nice job and brought a little bit of stability to a traditionally unstable position for the Flyers.  

Archived