Game 8: Flyers Vs. Oilers, October 21, 2017, 1:00pm

AJgoal

Leier and Weal out with injuries. Lehtera and Read in.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=88285

PROJECTED LINEUPS (Note: will be updated)

Flyers

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
15 Jori Lehterä - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 47 Andrew MacDonald
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg
6 Travis Sanheim- 3 Radko Gudas

37 Brian Elliott
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Jordan Weal (upper body), Taylor Leier (undisclosed), Brandon Manning (healthy).

OILERS 

19 Patrick Maroon - 97 Connor McDavid - 56 Kailer Yamamoto 
27 Milan Lucic - 93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 18 Ryan Strome 
36 Jussi Jokinen - 24 Brad Malone - 44 Zack Kassian 
26 Iiro Pakarinen - 55 Mark Letestu - 58 Anton Slepyshev 

77 Oscar Klefbom - 6 Adam Larsson 
4 Kris Russell - 81 Yohann Auvitu 
25 Darnell Nurse - 62 Eric Gryba 

33 Cam Talbot
[1 Laurent Brossoit]

Scratches: Leon Draisaitl (IR, concussion-like symptoms and swollen eye), Drake Caggiula (IR, undisclosed injury), Matt Benning (illness, day-to-day), Andrej Sekera (IR, knee), Brian Ferlin (IR, undisclosed), Ryan Stanton (IR, foot).

33 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Damm no Manning !!!

flyers win this one 7 to 6. 

skating match

jake with 3 

g has 2 ..

sand  1

mac a.. has 1

You mean thankfully no Manning. EDM is the last team I'd want to see him playing.

Playing well so far. Lots of good movement and chances. Lehtera looks awful though. Either he shapes up, or he won't see much ice time this season.

Not happy here...instead of putting it away they let them back in on a defensive lapse.  Patrick Maroon of all people...kind of ironic.  If I were Hakstol, his charges would get an earful after period 2. 

They definitely seemed to lack momentum in the second. Hopefully they can regain some for the third.

Because this virtually never happens, I think it needs to be noted that McDud is having a pretty good game... He still seems to prefer laying down to breaking up plays near the net, but he's playing well in most other areas of the ice this game.

I wouldn't make too much of it mind you. I don't remember the last time this happened after all... :/

Anyway, they need a shot of adrenaline here for the last run, or they're going to get wrecked. Dig deeper boys.

10 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Now will you love Mc D with that heartfelt clear #IceWarrior

Haha, he deserves respect for that for sure. Loving him is another matter entirely... :P

As I said though, he's having a good game. 

The team is playing fairly well defensively as a whole really. They just can't seem to generate anything in the other end.

11 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Jake is playing like ****! When he does finally decide to shoot it’s high or wide. His passing has been way off today. 

His shooting has been garbage all season, and that's without mentioning last season, or the season before that. He's not a shooter. He's a frustrating player to watch a lot of the time. He'll have a shift where he's on fire, and he'll follow it up with two where he just suddenly forgets he's not Datsyuk.

Questionable calls by the refs as well. How Maroon gets away with all the stuff he does on the ice is beyond me. And both the Raffl and Laughton penalties were a stretch at best.

Still, I'm not sure it's made a huge difference overall. They haven't been able to get any momentum these last two periods anyway. Elliott needs to stop handling the puck.

To add something else I haven't said in a very long time: Our defence is the only reason this is a close game.

34 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Anyway, they need a shot of adrenaline here for the last run, or they're going to get wrecked. Dig deeper boys.

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

We started like a ball of fire and look like we are behind the play daring them to shoot and enter our zone.  Very strange game to watch.  

I have the Edmonton feed today.  Their announcers were commenting on how the Flyers out skated the Oilers in the 1st but now Edmonton caught up.  They tried to say that it was due to the game time being so early (11am Edmonton time) and body clocks.  And while there may be some merit to that, I think the Flyers have slowed down since the 1st.

2 minutes ago, darthbal said:

Lehtera seems a little better than last game

He was pretty bad early on. He got better after the mid-point, but I wouldn't be looking to keep him around much. He seemed outmatched a lot of the time.

Wayne Train redeems his teammates.  Filpulla has lots of puck sense.  I agree with Bill's assessment that it was a game of three periods.  Holding the Edmonton team to 1 goal is an achievement. I hope Elliott builds confidence.  As good as Neuvy's been, we know a health issue is lurking. 

A good win to knock down a merlot with.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

He was pretty bad early on. He got better after the mid-point, but I wouldn't be looking to keep him around much. He seemed outmatched a lot of the time.

No doubt...

Looking forward to having Weal back on the line with Simmer and Fil

Nice win in a tight checking game. 

Patrick looks slow and a bit overwhelmed these past few games. Seeing more rookie moves that don't work at this level. I'd like to see him up his compete level. 

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Simmonds is wearing a face guard covering his mouth area.

Tip in front by Simmer, goal by Giroux!

Was that from the high stick he took on the bench or the fight he was in??

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I have the Edmonton feed today.  Their announcers were commenting on how the Flyers out skated the Oilers in the 1st but now Edmonton caught up.  They tried to say that it was due to the game time being so early (11am Edmonton time) and body clocks.  And while there may be some merit to that, I think the Flyers have slowed down since the 1st.

For what it's worth, two or three years ago, somebody compiled some numbers on Western teams playing what is essentially a morning game, and found that the record was definitely below how they fared in evening games. Is that the reason for the results on the basis of an individual game? Probably not, but it's kinda cool to see overall. These are, after all, humans playing a game, and to be playing when they might normally be sleeping, on top of crossing the country, could throw you off.

Sounds like it was the high stick on the bench...

Take a stick from the Preds guy....

giphy.gif

Yes confirmation in story....

He was sitting on the bench when he took a high stick to the mouth from Predators defenseman Mattias Ekholm. Any thoughts Simmonds had, he saved for a four-hour trip to the dentist and most of them, he admitted, were four-letter words.

Simmonds left the office with braces on his top teeth. He’s not sure how many he’ll lose — they’ll need to be pulled eventually — because it’s unclear how many will die from nerve damage. He got two root canals on the bottom, too.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/flyer-files/2017/10/21/flyers-5-takeaways-wayne-simmonds-powers-through-root-canals-scores-winner/787765001/

#warrior

Archived