Mrazek traded to the Flyers

FD19372

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I like it. Mrazek seems like a guy who could have some upside to him. Maybe just stuck in a bad situation in Detroit. Also will be playing for a contract. 

Will he sign with the Flyers? What do you do with Elliott or Nervy? 

6 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Will he sign with the Flyers? What do you do with Elliott or Nervy? 

Can't answer those questions right now ask us again after the season.

The good thing is they have the option to just walk away or even trade his rights if he ain't a fit.

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I like it. Mrazek seems like a guy who could have some upside to him. Maybe just stuck in a bad situation in Detroit. Also will be playing for a contract. 

I would sign him to a 2 to 3 yr deal and get rid of Neuvy honestly.   Too fragile and inconsistent. 

And Mrazek has upside and could be a steal. 

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I would sign him to a 2 to 3 yr deal and get rid of Neuvy honestly.   Too fragile and inconsistent. 

Without having even seeing him play i'm going to go out on a limb and guess that is the plan i remember back in november when rumors swirled about the Oilers and Flyers talking about trading him....i think there was some legit stuff going on there i think the brass has gotten tired of Neuvy always being hurt and here we are again when he is needed and now he is hurt again.

I think he has played his last game....Ron said a little while ago Elliott will be back first and Neuvy is 6 weeks away.

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Yup. That's what I think is the most likely scenario provided Mrazek doesn't stink up the joint. Keep Elliott, add Mrazek who may end up being the starter, and shed Neuvirth. I doubt he can be traded in the next week because of the uncertainty, but should be fine in the offseason. 

I'm guessing they do not resign Tokarski, and possibly Lyon. Keep Stolarz and add Hart in LHV next year.

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Trade Neuvrith...for a 3rd. :IDunnoSmiley:

That would be nice. I'm honestly not sure he even gets that though. Even in a back up situation, he's still never played a full season in the NHL in his career. He's the very definition of a man of glass at this point.

He has played seven years in the NHL. Two of those years he was sharing time with Varlamov in Washington. He played 13 games those two seasons (his first two). Since then, he's only had three seasons where he's played more than 25 games (27, 28, and 32). That's including this season btw (28). The other two seasons where he was considered a potential starter he had two games and five games before getting injured for the year.

Those numbers are just flat out awful. The worse part is then a team is stuck in a situation like the one we're in now -- trying to find a last minute goalie option to fill the gap. It's a recipe for disaster. If I'm a GM looking at those stats, there's no way I'm giving anything above... I dunno, a 6th, 7th round pick maybe? I'm not sure I even bother honestly. Even Lehner can at least play half a season plus worth of games. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

That would be nice. I'm honestly not sure he even gets that though. Even in a back up situation, he's still never played a full season in the NHL in his career. He's the very definition of a man of glass at this point.

He has played seven years in the NHL. Two of those years he was sharing time with Varlamov in Washington. He played 13 games those two seasons (his first two). Since then, he's only had three seasons where he's played more than 25 games (27, 28, and 32). That's including this season btw. The other two seasons where he was considered a potential starter he had two games and five games before getting injured for the year.

Those numbers are just flat out awful. The worse part is then a team is stuck in a situation like the one we're in now -- trying to find a last minute goalie option to fill the gap. It's a recipe for disaster. If I'm a GM looking at those stats, there's no way I'm giving anything above... I dunno, a 6th, 7th round pick maybe? I'm not sure I even bother honestly. Even Lehner can at least play half a season plus worth of games. 

Hextall should have traded Neuvirth to the Wings. That way, the Wings at least get another option next season while they sort out their goaltending mess. Perhaps Hextall offered and Holland laughed, I don't know.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hextall should have traded Neuvirth to the Wings. That way, the Wings at least get another option next season while they sort out their goaltending mess. Perhaps Hextall offered and Holland laughed, I don't know.

Hard to trade damaged goods.

Interesting...

“It’s a tough position for him to be in, for us to be in,” defenseman Andrew MacDonald said. “For him to go out and kind of pull the trigger right away to make that happen, it instills a lot of confidence in the team. We knew all along that he had the confidence in us, but that really sends a statement. Throughout the 10-game losing streak he didn’t come in and scream at us. He told us he believed in us and that meant a lot to us. He’s repaying us for that right now.”

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2018/02/20/flyers-appreciate-ron-hextall-confidence-making-petr-mrazek-trade/355250002/

“This is a sign that our players have done a really good job,” Hextall said in a conference call. “Our players have worked hard for a long time now, and I didn’t feel like it was fair to not have a proven NHL goaltender for this team. That’s the reason we acted.”

Between that quote and the MacDonald one, it's a good sign. 

3 hours ago, vis said:

Even if he plays well, you worry a little about streakiness.  And his demeanor if you believe the rumors -- especially if Elliott is still on the scene and Stolarz/Hart are coming up.  

I wonder if having Elliot around helps Petr.

Moose is a calm, good dude, if he's the 1b or #2 he'll slot in there and continue to be good in the room, probably helping the starter to succeed. Maybe Mrazek learns from his example.  

It strikes me that Mrazek has some pieces in place here to succeed if he is capable of emotional growth.

Alexander Appleyard@avappleyard

41 goalies have played 7500+ TOI since @NHLFlyers Mrazek entered the @NHL.

He ranks:

8th in Low Danger Sv%: .980
13th in High Daner Sv%: .800

But 40th in Medium Danger Sv%: .911#Flyers

Alexander Appleyard@avappleyard

Same story last 2 seasons... his Medium Danger Sv% pulls him down.

LDsv%: .975 (right around league avg)
HDsv%: .797 (above league avg)

MDsv%: .901 (2nd worst of 46 goalies with 1500+ TOI)#Flyers

10:07 AM - Feb 20, 2018

See Alexander Appleyard's other Tweets

This is perfect for the Flyers. We don't do medium danger. So the morale of the story is defend him like your life depends on it, or let him handle a few 2 on 0 while we're on the PP.

High or low, baby!

Other opinions...

Todd Cordell

This trade makes sense for both parties but I like it more for the Flyers.

With Michal Neuvirth and Brian Elliott sidelined, they were in desperate need of a goaltender to help them stay afloat in a crowded Metro Division and I think Mrazek is a nice pick up for them.

On the surface his numbers aren't great but he ranks 19th among 39 eligible goaltenders (900+ minutes) with a .926 save percentage at 5v5. That slots him ahead of notables such as Braden Holtby, Henrik Lundqvist and Cory Schneider. Mrazek is not that caliber, obviously, but he's certainly not the liability some make him out to be.

As for Detroit, they get no less than a 3rd round pick – barring a disaster where Mrazek fails to pick up five wins – for a player they were going to move on from in a couple months, anyway.

James Tanner

This is a great trade for the Flyers. Mrazek is a good goalie, he's got strong 5v5 numbers playing in front of a bad team and the cost is dirt cheap. This is a huge win for the Flyers, whereas, I don't know why the Red Wings wouldn't just sign him. It's not like they're going to get a better goalie for next year. 

One thing I don't get though, is that for the majority of teams, if their starting goalie goes down with an injury their season is basically over. Mrazek is better than 90% of back-up goalies. So if the cost of a player as good as Mrazek is so cheap, I don't see why more teams don't seek out quality 1b. options as insurance. 

Furthermore, how do the Hurricanes not outbid the Flyers here? They'd be in first place if they had even a halfway decent goalie. 

Anyways, great move for the Flyers.

Peter Tessier

I don't think this deal is so much a win or lose scenario as much as it is simply a smart thing for both teams to do. Mrazek was no longer going to be in the Wings' plans and as an RFA he can have his rights traded after the season. 

The Wings did well to unload him and the Flyers did well to only give up conditional assets via picks. If he helps them it's a bonus if not they can likely recover a part of those assets and, here's the bonus the Wings pick up half the remaining salary. Maybe this deal favours the Flyers more but it worked out for both sides all around.

As I understand it, Mrazek did not want to timeshare with Howard. Could this be an issue when Elliot returns? I know the Flyers had no choice as they couldn't realistically start Lyons for the next six weeks.

I honestly think this is a rental. 

30 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I honestly think this is a rental. 

I don't. I think we're going to see Mrazek/Elliott next season. Elliott doesn't have the same issue Howard did. Honestly, he probably shouldn't be a starter anymore anyway, and I think he would be fine with a back up role at this point. He's done it before.

Archived