Flyers Claim Oduya off waivers, lose Alt

AJgoal

They picked up a veteran dman with a lot off playoff experience for nothing. Good insurance policy in the event of injury. I agree he will likely be the 7th based on Hak’s love for Manning but Oduya can be another experienced voice in the room and possible mentor to the Flyers youngsters.

10 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Pretty lateral move if you ask me. He probably doesn't play over Manning 

All we did was just change our 7th defenseman 

Rumors are Alt was waived for cap reasons involved in a potential trade at some point today. They lose Alt in the waive, they pick up Oduya to have a 7th D man again.  Of course the problem with that is that Oduya makes more money, so this clears no cap room.  

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

They picked up a veteran dman with a lot off playoff experience for nothing. Good insurance policy in the event of injury. I agree he will likely be the 7th based on Hak’s love for Manning but Oduya can be another experienced voice in the room and possible mentor to the Flyers youngsters.

Did I hear "mentor for the youngsters?" Can we lose the other one, then?

All joking aside, hard not to like the Oduya acquisition.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I, for one, will not put all joking aside and will run "Oduya now" into the ground given the opportunity

:cheers:

Just now, King Knut said:

Rumors are Alt was waived for cap reasons involved in a potential trade at some point today. They lose Alt in the waive, they pick up Oduya to have a 7th D man again.  Of course the problem with that is that Oduya makes more money, so this clears no cap room.  

Flyers had 8 million in cap space, adding 650k wasn't going to be a big deal. And it's not like they're going to be surprised that they have to pick up Oduya's hit. But they had to have a compliant roster, which meant someone had to go down if they were awarded Oduya.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I wanted him last off season.  Of course, I was happier that Sanheim made the club and that Morin would have had he not been hurt, but I'd much rather have had Oduya all year than Manning.  

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Flyers had 8 million in cap space, adding 650k wasn't going to be a big deal. And it's not like they're going to be surprised that they have to pick up Oduya's hit. But they had to have a compliant roster, which meant someone had to go down if they were awarded Oduya.

Their cap space is actually a lot lower, under 2 million after projected bonuses and what not.  

Is that how the timing worked out?  Which was waived first?  Do we know exact timings?  If Oduya gets waived first, then it makes sense that Hextall says to himself, "I want that guy, let's put Alt back in the AHL... oh darn, we lost Alt."  

Just now, King Knut said:

Their cap space is actually a lot lower, under 2 million after projected bonuses and what not.  

Is that how the timing worked out?  Which was waived first?  Do we know exact timings?  If Oduya gets waived first, then it makes sense that Hextall says to himself, "I want that guy, let's put Alt back in the AHL... oh darn, we lost Alt."  

Well, waiving Alt probably had more to do with AHL playoff eligibility than necessarily clearing a roster space, but it did give him some flexibility when Oduya hit the wire.

Also, they're not paying out nearly the projected bonus sum that it up there. Patrcik has a bonus number of 2.65, and given his slow start, he won't make most of the milestones.

Good pickup.  Alt missed his window here and then got lost in the numbers game.  Hope he gets a shot in Colorado.  Oduya is a perfect 7th d-man.  Been through the battles and adds another vet voice in the locker room.  I think Manning is still the 6th dman, though.  Also think Hextall is done dealing.

Johhny Oduya!?!......by far my wife's FAVORITE hockey player! I see her first Jersey in the future!.....:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

(She doesn't even follow hockey (or any sports for that matter)!... heard the announcers saying his name one night during a Devil's game and apparently got a real kick out of it!....she's never let it go. She will be happy she gets to hear that name more now! :)

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Johhny Oduya!?!......by far my wife's FAVORITE hockey player! I see her first Jersey in the future!.....:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

(She doesn't even follow hockey (or any sports for that matter)!... heard the announcers saying his name one night during a Devil's game and apparently got a real kick out of it!....she's never let it go. She will be happy she gets to hear that name more now! :)

-"I really like Johnny Oduya."

-"Oh... do ya?"

2 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Will he be a Flyer long enough for her to even get a jersey?????

I have always gotten a kick out of his name as well!!!!

51 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Never heard that rumour. Alt was waived so he could be eligible for the Phantoms playoff roster. He would have been immediately recalled but not anymore 

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

I hear he is a wiz with the popcorn machine!

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Never heard that rumour. Alt was waived so he could be eligible for the Phantoms playoff roster. He would have been immediately recalled but not anymore 

That makes more sense.  I read it on Twitter.  Forget who, but I don't follow the whackos.  

Hextall says that they put in the claim on Oduya before knowing anyone claimed Alt, so one literally had nothing to do with the other.  Which is interesting.  

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

That makes more sense.  I read it on Twitter.  Forget who, but I don't follow the whackos.  

Hextall says that they put in the claim on Oduya before knowing anyone claimed Alt, so one literally had nothing to do with the other.  Which is interesting.  

Maybe they were planning on keeping Alt down?

4 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Maybe they were planning on keeping Alt down?

He said they just wanted more depth in general.    Seems like overkill, but essentially he seemed to feel like Oduya made a nice safety net in case of multiple injuries. He probably would have been ahead of alt in the depth chart, but if you have an injury, who you replace that player with depends on the role.  You wouldn't replace Gudas with Sanheim for instance, or Ghost with Alt.  Doing those things would require too much adjustment to the overall approach which is working so well. 

I think the idea would have been for Alt to play for the Phantoms unless they needed him. Hopefully he gets a nice shot with the Avalanche.  

Hextall still seems comfortable with what they have depth wise.  

I'm glad Ron kept the roster like it was.

I would have prefered to jettison some junk...but they have managed with the junk all season i guess they can still manage.

A lot of big moves to day Tampa and Preds look destined to met in the finals...however after all that has been done to their teams the pressure went up too. 

This year just isn't the Flyer's year opening yet.

Not to knock them they will be lucky to still make the playoffs...a tough schedule ahead.

Ron held his pieces together for another year to grow and get better towards the goal....i think their window will start to open in 2020-21.

Once some of the clutter is cleared from the roster.

The Flyer's main thing is make the playoffs and you never know...underdogs have won it all in Philly before.

These kids need playoff experience.

Archived