STH Town Hall Meeting

brelic

31 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Had a late opportunity to get tix, but had to pass. Hopefully @Adamflyers or @Poulin20 were there and can go into more detail, but from what I saw, there didn't seem to be a lot of good questions. 

Hi @AJgoal , unfortunately for the second year neither @Adamflyers nor I could make it this year due to other obligations.  The Flyers never give us much lead time and tend to spring it on us and if we already have stuff planned we are out of luck :mad:.  I was hoping somebody else from the board could go but I doesnt seem like this was the case this year and like you I have been looking to find some recaps.

51 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Hi @AJgoal , unfortunately for the second year neither @Adamflyers nor I could make it this year due to other obligations.  The Flyers never give us much lead time and tend to spring it on us and if we already have stuff planned we are out of luck :mad:.  I was hoping somebody else from the board could go but I doesnt seem like this was the case this year and like you I have been looking to find some recaps.

Hey @Poulin20 ,

I think you have your priorities screwed up. :ph34r:  Getting the information and reporting back to us is number one!  

Maybe somebody else was there, but I personally want to thank you and your @Adamflyers for all your years of service, keeping us in the know with your reports.  It has always been appreciated!!!

2 hours ago, brelic said:

BSH Radio discussed the STH meeting in their latest podcast. 

The STH stuff starts around 59:39.

My God that was horrible to listen to....I'd much prefer to read Adamflyer/Poulins take on it.

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

My God that was horrible to listen to....I'd much prefer to read Adamflyer/Poulins take on it.

Try listening to the first hour! Even worse lol.

Meltzer has a bit on the Frost discussion at the STH meeting.

The BSH clip above talks about that too. From all indications, the organization feels he's just not physically ready for the NHL and, barring some amazing muscle-packing summer, he's going to need another year of juniors. 

6) In yesterday's blog item about 2017 first-round pick Morgan Frost, I noted that, while his game is very advanced for an 18-year-old player and his hockey sense is already NHL caliber, he is going to have to add more strength to his frame before he is deemed NHL-ready from a physical standpoint. The Ontario Hockey League website lists him as 6-foot, 180 pounds but he looked smaller and frailer at Flyers training camp in September.

At last night's Flyers' season ticket holder fan meeting with organization management and head coach Dave Hakstol, assistant general manager Chris Pryor raised the same point about Frost's body needing to catch up with the many positives about his on-ice development.

It is still not impossible that Frost could make a push for an NHL job out of camp next season but, on top of showing in camp that his OHL dominance at age 18 is ready to translate against pros, he'd also need to have one heck of a summer in adding muscle mass to his frame without compromising his quickness. More likely, he will need an additional full year of physical development and then he'll be ready. Frost may be gifted enough as a player to bypass the American Hockey League and go right to the NHL when he's deemed physically ready to do so, but that remains to be seen.

The bottom line of yesterday's blog holds true: If Frost continues to develop the way the Flyers believe he will, the team is going to have a formidable 1-2-3 punch down the middle in the not-too-distant future between Sean Couturier (presently age 25 and just hitting his prime), Nolan Patrick and Frost. 

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Meltzer has a bit on the Frost discussion at the STH meeting.

The BSH clip above talks about that too. From all indications, the organization feels he's just not physically ready for the NHL and, barring some amazing muscle-packing summer, he's going to need another year of juniors. 

I'm ok with that.  No reason to rush the kid.  The Flyers are still at least 2 years away from making a serious run, but I can definitely start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I'm ok with that.  No reason to rush the kid.  The Flyers are still at least 2 years away from making a serious run, but I can definitely start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

Exactly. We'll have Sanheim and likely Morin on defense as rookies, plus Lindblom, NAK, and maybe another forward (Vecchione? Vorobyev?) as rookies up front. That's another big batch of rookies to break in. 

Of course, this is dependent on moving at least one defenseman and not re-signing Manning, plus finding a solution to Weise/Lehtera. 

G/Coots/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

NAK/Vorobyev or Vecchione/Simmonds

Leier/Laughton/Raffl

Provorov/Ghost

Sanheim/MacDonald

Morin/Hagg

Mrazek/Elliott

Assuming they move Gudas... 

26 minutes ago, brelic said:

Assuming they move Gudas... 

I am afraid that this is what they'll do. They'd get positive return for Radko, but I wouldn't trade him.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I am afraid that this is what they'll do. They'd get positive return for Radko, but I wouldn't trade him.

I agree. Plus he's a sorely needed RH shot. But, he is much more tradeable than MacDonald - plus, I think the organization values AMac more than Gudas. Could be wrong... 

The bottom line is that something's gotta give if both Sanheim and Morin are to be NHLers next year - and Morin is not waiver exempt. 

1 minute ago, brelic said:

I agree. Plus he's a sorely needed RH shot. But, he is much more tradeable than MacDonald - plus, I think the organization values AMac more than Gudas. Could be wrong... 

The bottom line is that something's gotta give if both Sanheim and Morin are to be NHLers next year - and Morin is not waiver exempt. 

The only reason something has to give is the ungodly infatuation with MacDonald.

Provorov - Hagg

Morin - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

MacDonald

I'd love to keep Provorov and Ghost together, but a pairing made up of two of Hagg, Morin, and Gudas will struggle to exit the zone with control. It is possible that Hagg begins to assert his puck carrying ability these last few weeks (He was generally considered a good puck mover pre-draft) and then you can optimize the top four.

I'd even be ok with rolling those seven while rotating MacDonald, Sanheim, and Morin in and out of the lineup, but I have a hard time believing that one of Morin or Sanheim won't end up in the press box for 10 games in a row in that scenario.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

We are also likely to lose one of our kids on the blueline during the next expansion draft. Would hope Hexy knows that and makes a deal 

They know they're likely to lose a good player to expansion, Hextall even mentioned it at the meeting. But there's no reason to move a kid now when you a) don't know when expansion will be, b) don't know what the rules will be, and c) don't know how good each kid is.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

We'll have Sanheim and likely Morin on defense as rookies,

From this writing to God's eyes.

Send Manning packing Morin and Sanheim by next year will give the Flyers blueline what they lack.

And there will be growth up and downs to be taken.....but i am willing to live/watch through them.

And i would lean towards Vorobyev over Vex right now just because he is a better center with upside and has more size.

Misha is 6-2 Vex is just 5-10.

Truthfully Vex turns 26 next year and just may never make it. Not saying he won't. Hard to say right.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I am afraid that this is what they'll do.

Since they are family........is it crazy they could package Neuvy and Radko in a family trade some where??

I would like to see Weal moved this off season too.

I think a Phantom can come in start on the 3rd or 4th and get the same return Weal has produced 7 goals (2 on PP) 17 points.

And maybe improve on his -9 which is 2nd to worst on the team.

I mean his 1.7mill isn't killing them but i think they could get close to the same production at half the price.

Fil gone could open a spot for Vorobyev and Weal moved opens up a spot for NAK. Plus Misha will add some size too (6-2).

G/Coots/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Raffl/Laughton/Simmonds

Leier/Vorobyev/NAK

Both are very responsible defensive guys NAK is tops in the AHL 5 on 5. 

This will open up room for Bunnaman, Rubtsov, Allison, Salitrini and Twarynski. I would expect David Kase to join them down there too.

16 hours ago, AJgoal said:

They know they're likely to lose a good player to expansion, Hextall even mentioned it at the meeting. But there's no reason to move a kid now when you a) don't know when expansion will be, b) don't know what the rules will be, and c) don't know how good each kid is.

Well, I never said they should be moving one now 

19 hours ago, AJgoal said:

It is possible that Hagg begins to assert his puck carrying ability these last few weeks (He was generally considered a good puck mover pre-draft

My feeling with Hagg is he will continue to improve. 

He is a good hockey player, I think his ceiling is that of a second pairing guy. He has an accurate, heavy shot, he can skate, he sees the ice well, he has embraced the physical aspect of defensive play. 

He made the team on his first legitimate shot, and has not come out of the lineup. 

There are a bunch of guys here who blow him off like he's lucky to be in the league, I don't see that when I watch him.  I think he'll be damn good, I don't think it is a reach to expect him to improve his puck carrying and his first pass. He has the physical talent to be good at both of those tasks.

I don't think Robert Hagg will become worse from where he is today.  So I don't think your idea about him improving to stabilize the top 4 is far fetched.

Archived