Game 74: Flyers at Red Wings; 3/20/18 @ 7:30

Howie58

7 hours ago, colorado_al said:

The kiss of death was the 4 on 3 OT. 

You're right there are better even up with an extra man it just gives them a chance to play "hey someone get open so they can receive a pass"...i sure hope of all these kids they have coming in they have someone actually a few guys who just want to shoot the damn puck!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No f**king way i play Mrazek in the playoffs (if they even make it now) unless Elliott, Lyon, Neuvy, Stolie or even Tokarski is all hurt.

No way i give the Wings a chance to get a 3rd for this bum.

He is now 5-5-0-1 3.27 gaa 885%

He makes Bryzgalov look like an all star!!!!!

KEEP HIM OUT THE CREASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Didn't realize the Wings were in a 10 game winless drought.

I know just the cure. The Flyers.

So now this year alone they have helped two teams end 10 game game winless runs!

Geat job Flyers help out your fellow clubs!

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

1)  We should end the Mzarek experient now.  It was a wasted draft pick.  

I agree. Ron tried when the inuries piled up.

So best thing you can do now is cut your losses let Lyon hold the crease down till he needs a break and just keep the 4th from becoming a 3rd.

Elliott has been skating i would think he may get a game or two before the end of the season.

Depends on how crucial the points are needed.

However i would if they make the playoffs would go with Elliott/Lyon in net and let Mrazek be the 3rd or even 4th if Neuvy gets healthy.

Maybe Elliott gets a conditioning game for the Phantoms even.

I don't hate Hak as much as others.....

He had a choice...

1) Play the guy that won his last game, playing against the team/players he knows the best and has something to prove.  Who's save percentage over the last 5 starts is: .842 (pulled), .893, .600 (pulled), .897, .964

2) Play a guy with a total of 9 NHL games and only 5 starts under his belt in his career.  Who's save percentage over the last 5 starts is:  .920, .889, .926, .870, .818.

Honestly I would have went with Lyon but I don't think it's as clear of a choice as some think and there are some reasons why Hak chose Mrazek.    So I don't really have a huge issue with his choice last night.  I think he pulled him at the right time.

Now, if he starts Mrazek Thursday then I'll have a much bigger issue with it.

(moved this from a different thread)

10 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

why Jordan Weal? 

Weal 4 for 9 in shootouts. Now 4 for 10.

That's a decent percentage. 

He had been money earlier in the season. No one checks you in the SO so Weal's skill can be utilized better. 

I don't think that was a terrible decision. 

@Digityman

Agree with your line of thinking. 

Some observations from last night.... 

- Goaltending didn't do them any favours, but the Flyers were also guilty of way too many egregious turnovers. Provorov with a few doozies, Patrick, Gudas, Filppula, Voracek, Konecny, Sanheim (team-high 3 giveaways), and Lyon's that led to the 4th goal. 

- Gudas and Hagg are not a great pairing. They were limited to 12 minutes last night and were still -2, forcing Provorv (26:29) and Ghost (27:13) to pick up the slack. They looked out of sync.

- Coots finally got #30! TK also hit #20, which is awesome for both players. TK has 14 goals in his last 28 games. 

- Nice to see Read get a goal to kickstart the 3rd period comeback. He's decent in a 4th line role with good speed and defensive instincts. 

- The PP got back on track, which is a good sign. Too bad they couldn't capitalize on the PP in OT, but they went 2/4 and hopefully this gets them out of their funk.

- It was a rare night when the Flyers got owned in the faceoff circle (42%). Giroux was at 40%, and Patrick was at 11%. Ouch. 

Let's hope they bring their A game on Thursday. .

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

Play the guy that won his last game

Sure I wouldn't have a problem with if that rule applies to both goalies.

What i mean by that Mrazek plays like sh it in the Jackets game gets yanked Lyon comes in gives them a chance with better goaltending so much so he earns the next start vs. Canes which he won so here that rule should've meant Lyon starts vs the Caps and he may have won that too therefore sticking with the hot hand Lyon should have started vs. Wings.

Consistency with your rules to EVERYONE!

Then and only then does it carry weight.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Gudas and Hagg are not a great pairing. They were limited to 12 minutes last night and were still -2,

I can't remember both but on one were Hagg pinch and a turnover went the other way quickly Hagg took the far side pass option and then Gudas played to take away the pass and then Mrazek sh it the bed with the shot.

That was on crappy net minding the Dmen played that as good as they could have. Terrible weak goal by Petr.

so yeah.....right back where everyone thought we would be....PLAYOFF BUBBLE TEAM.

what can i say that hasn't been said. Hak's coaching (or lack there of) is certainly questionable (shoot out choices were baffling!), but I tend to agree with Digity as far as why he put him in last night. I was not surprised to see him start for all the reasons Digity mentioned, AND I saw it as a last chance. Final shot to prove himself......and he failed MISERABLY. At least all questions about Petr are now answered.... wasted pick. Salvage the 3rd rounder.

Our team is young and prone to mistakes. for as good as Ivan is, he has been making plenty of mistakes as well....and mistakes are costly, even if your the best d-man in the team when your NOT making mistakes.....same for Ghost. He's got some things to turn around before they become "bad habits"....again, where the coach comes in.... (gord murphy...oh my...)

ANYWAY, we're back where we belong. on the outside looking in. I think a taste of playoff hockey against the likes of Boston or even the Caps (however, I feel we own the edge there for some odd reason) will be a good wake up call and learning experience for this young crew.

Also, we've lost like 3 "must win games" in the last week.....does this mean no Christmas this year? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

2 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

ANYWAY, we're back where we belong. on the outside looking in.

There are not on the outside looking in right now they are the top wild card.

They get back to winning and it will help.

The young teams needs a goalie who can erase some mistakes they are going to make. Mrazek is noy that guy he is the accelerant that is thrown on the open flame. Just makes it worse.

Right now Lyon is the guy who can help them win now till Elliott is healthy.

Hak just needs to show him he has confidence in him and give him the net.

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right now Lyon is the guy who can help them win now till Elliott is healthy.

Although I agree, it's just crazy to me that is a truthful statement.    I mean waiting for Elliott of all people to get healthy.  It's just so crazy to think that but it's true.  

6 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Although I agree, it's just crazy to me that is a truthful statement.    I mean waiting for Elliott of all people to get healthy.  It's just so crazy to think that but it's true.  

It is absolutely crazy right?!?

I find myself "hoping" Elliott is closer to playing again.  IMO, Mrazek is a disaster waiting to happen with each game.   Even when he appears to play well his rebound control is horrible and he seems to have trouble tracking the puck.   

7 minutes ago, Digityman said:

The truth is we have 4 mediocre to bad goalies. Elliott's .908 save% ain't gonna take us far either. 

It's really been about the team in front of the goalie this year more than the goalie. When they're in a groove and scoring at will and seem to be clicking, they have overcome mediocre goaltending. But when the mistakes start piling on, the goalies are not good enough to help the team overcome them. 

It's like everyone forgets that Elliott is good for one bad goal per game. Neuvirth  has the most natural talent among all of them, I'd say, and he's either stellar or meh. 

14 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I couldn't agree more. Quite honestly, as bad as Mrazek has been, Elliott is far from a saviour by any measure. The same goes for Lyon or Neuvirth. @brelic hit the nail on the head in noting we have four mediocre to bad goalies to choose from. None of these guys will steal us a game -- aside from possibly Neuvirth if he somehow manages to survive a full game, and even that is an occasional thing at best.

Let's be honest here. Most of us realistically expected a bubble team at best this season, and that's essentially what we've got. Along the way, we were treated to some stellar stretches of play, which was as great as it was largely unexpected.

Given the season they've had everywhere but in net, I can't help but wonder what may have been different if we had at least one reasonably capable option in net this year. 

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

I agree but they were 1 point from the Caps and since the turn of march they have secured 8 points out of possibly 22 is down right horrible.

Lyon deserves some faith. Ride him and see.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

The truth is we have 4 mediocre to bad goalies. Elliott's .908 save% ain't gonna take us far either. 

It's really been about the team in front of the goalie this year more than the goalie. When they're in a groove and scoring at will and seem to be clicking, they have overcome mediocre goaltending. But when the mistakes start piling on, the goalies are not good enough to help the team overcome them. 

It's like everyone forgets that Elliott is good for one bad goal per game. Neuvirth  has the most natural talent among all of them, I'd say, and he's either stellar or meh. 

Its not that people forget we don't have a choice Mrazek is good for two to three bad goals a game so i'll take the one bad goal a game guy.

Lesser of two evils.

But how about take this opportunity to give Lyon the net see what he can do.

Let him play till he shows signs he needs a break.

Then if he plays well maybe Elliott can back him up when he comes back.

Not many options at this point.

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

As my mother used to say, "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King."

Rangers next, Lundquist got a little dinged up the other night, does he get the start or will they let him rest because they are out of the hunt, but I know NY WOULD LOVE to be a spoiler when it comes to Philly, but ole Hank ain't no spring chicken anymore either maybe his age catches him a bit and he just needs to rest

13 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

Rangers next, Lundquist got a little dinged up the other night, does he get the start or will they let him rest because they are out of the hunt, but I know NY WOULD LOVE to be a spoiler when it comes to Philly, but ole Hank ain't no spring chicken anymore either maybe his age catches him a bit and he just needs to rest

Howdy:

I just posted the Game 75 thread; It is King versus Lyon!  

Question because I'm neive on the subject.... Let's say the Silvertips lose the first round of thier playoffs.  Could Hart join the Flyers knowing that he will be at least be in the AHL next season?

14 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Question because I'm neive on the subject.... Let's say the Silvertips lose the first round of thier playoffs.  Could Hart join the Flyers knowing that he will be at least be in the AHL next season?

I think he can if he signs a try out contract but he can only play during the regular season. Buy i could be wrong on that.

I was in the thinking that he could but the 9 game rule would still apply towards burning a year of his entry level deal.

But he can certainly join the Phantoms.

Archived