Game 81: Hurricanes at Flyers; 4/5/18 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

We are installed as favorites for the game, despite last night's debacle:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/carolina-philadelphia-odds-april-5-2018-870959

Dave Hess' preview says...and please don't shoot the messenger, that Mrazek is in goal.  It is unclear if we face Ward or Darling.  Carolina can relish being a spoiler

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/4-5-2018/carolina-hurricanes-vs-philadelphia-flyers-expert-prediction-8208/

With PM in goal, we wash, rinse, and repeat from the Islanders game and worry that a probable win turns into a probable loss.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giroux needs to make it clear that it's put up or shut up time. 

Leave everything you have on the ice against the Canes - second efforts, third efforts, hits, whatever you can muster. 

Anything less may mean golf courses. 

I just noticed that Simmonds is a team-low -16. Yuck.

He showed some good chemistry with Patrick, so maybe in an effort to spread around some speed and offense, something like the following:

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Simmonds

Weal/Filppula/Voracek

Raffl/Laughton/Read or Leier

That might limit Simmonds' poor 5v5 play. Plus, Patrick doesn't need the training wheels anymore. Voracek has done his job.

If you want to scratch Weal, I'd go -

Raffl/Filppula/Voracek

Read/Laughton/Leier

I think that makes lines 3 and 4 faster and more defensively responsible.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

That might limit Simmonds' poor 5v5 play. Plus, Patrick doesn't need the training wheels anymore. Voracek has done his job.

If you want to scratch Weal, I'd go -

Raffl/Filppula/Voracek

Read/Laughton/Leier

I think that makes lines 3 and 4 faster and more defensively responsible.

I think I leave Voracek with Patrick, I would rather see him get more o-zone starts and more ice time. 93 is a play driver and despite the fact he is the worst player on the team :NinjaLookLeftRight1: he is still top 15 in the league in scoring.

But I do like the idea of scratching 40 in favor of 21 and or 20...  Especially since Carolina is a good skating team.

Weal has wheels but this year they've spun and not done much. Simmonds...I worry about him...I'd take picks and say good bye...fearful wear and tear is taking its toll.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Weal has wheels but this year they've spun and not done much. Simmonds...I worry about him...I'd take picks and say good bye...fearful wear and tear is taking its toll.

I want to think Simmonds never completely healed from his early season injury and it's trashed his season. I go hoping he's better next year. I'm also not sure burying him on the third line is the best thing. 

But if someone came at the draft with a deal similar to Schenn (hopefully minus a Lehtera substitute), I'd have to pull the trigger. It makes me sad, because I really like the guy, but he doesn't seem to have the fire he used to. 

Weal is worthless to me, and I never bought the delusion last year. They didn't spend a ton on him, though, so no real harm other than his cluttering up a roster spot. 

If I believe Dave Hess, Mrazek is in goal.  I really hope that's wrong but the guy seems to have good sources/intelligence.  If that is the case, I wonder if Hakstol has any faith in Lyon, despite respectable numbers.  

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

With PM in goal, we wash, rinse, and repeat from the Islanders game and worry that a probable win turns into a probable loss.  

Ouch...that hurt. Cuz it's the truth. and you know the ol saying....

Hopefully the canes get ZERO puck-luck. I'm looking for the Posts to come up BIG tomorrow! Lets go Goal Posts!

I have a game tonight so I won't be watching which is probably better for my blood pressure.  

Can Elliott come back and step right in and provide the goaltending?

Can Hak not play Gudas and Manning less than 20 minutes a game?

Can Filp actually keep up with TK?

Can they put a 60 minute game together?

Can Hak NOT put out the 4th line after the Hurricanes tie the game?

Can our PK kill a penalty?

Like I said... better for my blood pressure.   But hey... take one of your best offensive threats and throw him on the 3rd line to try and get the Pylon going in the middle...   just great coaching.

14 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Can Elliott come back and step right in and provide the goaltending?

Can Hak not play Gudas and Manning less than 20 minutes a game?

Can Filp actually keep up with TK?

Can they put a 60 minute game together?

Can Hak NOT put out the 4th line after the Hurricanes tie the game?

Can our PK kill a penalty?

I read all this in the voice of an 80s narrator closing out a tv show on a cliffhanger. 250% better result (app.)

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Simmonds is shackled with #51. That would massacre anyone's plus minus numbers. 

Here's the thing, and I don't mean this as an acquittal of #51:    I don't think Simmonds is actually playing well enough to help the cause on that line.  He may be just as responsible for that line's failures as anyone.   In Simmonds' case, I really believe he's never properly recovered from his early season injury.   He just hasn't been the same at all.   I mean, with a stronger center maybe he's better off, but I don't think he's excused from his results (because of #51.  I'm excusing it some because of my injury theory).

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Here's the thing, and I don't mean this as an acquittal of #51:    I don't think Simmonds is actually playing well enough to help the cause on that line.  He may be just as responsible for that line's failures as anyone.   In Simmonds' case, I really believe he's never properly recovered from his early season injury.   He just hasn't been the same at all.   I mean, with a stronger center maybe he's better off, but I don't think he's excused from his results (because of #51.  I'm excusing it some because of my injury theory).

:plus1:

If I read correctly, it is our buddy Mzarek.  Yikes.  Maybe this is a game where they:

a) Play "God Bless America"

b) Ask the Pope to call in a blessing

c) Get clergy of all walks to weigh in

d) Get President Trump to tweet "Make PM Great Again" or threaten a trade war on Hextall and Flyers

d) Have any of us suit up

Lyon must feel like he is being duped or bleeped upon.

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If I read correctly, it is our buddy Mzarek.  Yikes.

Where are you reading that?  Everything I'm seeing is Elliott unless something changed in the last hour (possible).

Lyon makes me feel no better than Mrazek, honestly.   I'd play him just because it's his turn (if it's not Elliott), I guess, but it's poe-tay-toe/pattatta from where I sit.  They're both entirely worthless.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Where are you reading that?  Everything I'm seeing is Elliott unless something changed in the last hour (possible).

Rux:

I was at BSH from a post a few hours back. I hope you are right...but boy, what a game to come back to, with no reconditioning assignment, correct....Yeesh.

Someone tell GUDAS he is allowed to hit people, tell manbitch to take a second to look before just moving the puck along (turning it over) don't look like a scared little bitch or they'll (continue) to treat you like one... Laughton same thing look before you blind backhand the puck somewhere?..... Get the friggin refs some gooddamn glasses or binoculars or Coke bottles... WTFE accidentally on purpose take out the goalie a time or two... Throw the fukkkin kitchen sink into the mix why the hell not!

I want to see that they want it right from the drop of the puck, balls out effort from the first shift to the last shift, take no prisoners, leave no hurricane upright, bowl right over them to a solid team victory, everybody contributing and sacrificing the body wetf it takes... just fukkkin win !

Archived