Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Pens Sweep 4-0
    • Pens in 5
    • Pens in 6
    • Pens in 7
    • Flyers Sweep 4-0
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7

10 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

By giving the puck away in the middle of the ice, in their own zone the way that Ghost and Provy did on more than one occassion...and don't get me started on the hesitation of Ghost shooting the da*n puck on the power play. He has to learn to just let it rip sometimes and not worry so much about it getting blocked.

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek though since the Leafs gave up 7 goals earlier in their series. :ok:

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek though since the Leafs gave up 7 goals earlier in their series. :ok:

Ah!  Im usually good at picking up on that kind of stuff.  Sadly that nuance was lost on me as I have not been paying attention to the other series very closely.

Alright boys! ****** Monday morning for all of us Flyers Fans. That is one tough way to loose one hell of a series. I wanna start by saying that in NO WAY am I "disappointed" with this team. The better team won. Period. (ah, the taste of bile in the morning....)

Also, was VERY disappointed in the **** being thrown on the ice. Poor Philadelphia. I live nowhere near there. Have visited once for a game back in 2002 or so, (beautiful city and everyone I met seemed very nice). But man, just classless. Just chant REF YOU SUCK till your voice is gone! Too bad that a few drunk scum bags can create an "image" for a fanbase/city. And McGuire was ALL TOO HAPPY to keep it in the spotlight and let it reflect on the "home team".....I hate that little prick. :)

But back to hockey: We gave up 18+ goals in that series. GOALTENDING. PERIOD. (and Defense) Gudas was truly a GOAT in that last game. We need to address our goaltending and get some depth on D in the off season....THIS off-season. Giroux is not gonna score 100+ points for the next 3-4 years!! I fear we are wasting a franchise player.....

HEART: I remember a recent thread about this team having no heart. Sean Couturier, Ivan Provorov, and Claude Giroux say Hi.....Good God!! Coots may be my new favorite flyer. I mean wow. Torn MCL (or some kind of ligament damage) and he gets a hatty?! G might not have been what he needed to be in the post season, but he called the game 6 and got it. Scored some points, laid some CLEAN big hits (more on that in a second), etc.

"The Hit": Giroux's hit was clean. How do I know this? 1) I have eyes. 2)  When the entire broadcast crew (including McGuire), and EVERY OTHER hockey analyst I have heard comment on the play from NHL Tonight, to Sirius/XM radio this morning (stellcik and Simmer) say it's clean.....its probably clean. No Bias. No "shaded glasses". Not sure how you argue that....nor will I. :)

Officiating: BRUTAL. What can you say. And YES...it went both ways....BUT. My god. Letang was out there mowing guys down left and right game 6. I agree the Coots "take down" in the 3rd was questionable (his falling...not the fact that Letang should have been called for a trip). Borderline embellish to me. trying to "sell" a call in desperation. The cross check to Giroux's back was a ridiculous no call. The cross check to Coots back was a ridiculous no call. BUT AGAIN....will not blame this series loss on penalties....just that officiating in the NHL is a nightmare of inconsistency for EVERY team.

What was Missing: Voracheck. Simmer (till game 6), Giroux (for most of series), experience. I really need to see something more out of Voracheck (especially in the post season) to warrant his cap hit! I know he had a ton of  assists this season and hard to bash a guy with so many points but MAN. I kept saying to myself, "Voracheck is due for a big game" and it never seemed to happen. Kids need to grow a little and mature. TK, Patrick, and Prov are all gonna be really good hockey players for a long time in my opinion.

OKAY....I may be starting to ramble now. TOUGH way to loose a series. The boys came out with FIRE in their own barn for game 6. NEVER gave up. Coots and Prov playing injured. horrible goaltending all series, lack of depth on D, and TONS of young inexperienced players playing big minutes......Game 4 aside...was that the one where we came out flat and laid and egg?....

I'm DAMNED proud of the team and the players for what they showed and taking this team to 6 games! ALMOST 7! However, there are still some names/depth that need to be resolved.

Filipula (although maybe useful if used right), Read, Lehterha, Gudas, and Manning ALL need to go this offseason!

That's it. I'm done. Ready for swimming pools, trips to the beach, golf, fishing, warm weather,....ya know, the 4 months we get to be outside in New England! :)

Really hope this team does not take a "step back" in the offseason, cuz I saw flashes of BRILLIANCE from this young team. Lot to look forward to!

Hope you all have a great summer and thanks to all of you who keep this site going and interesting. I remember the migration from the Philly.com Forum back in the day....OH MAN.

GO VEGAS NIGHTS.....and whoever is playing the Penguins!!

(drops mic)

Really hard to blame the officials when the team doesn't score 4 on 3 for 90 seconds - and doesn't even get much in the way of chances.

The two cross checks that were missed we're egregious. The "trip" non call on Coots could be because Letang actually played the puck and Coots barrelled into him. 

Neuvirth has to make that stop...

In the end, the better team won. The Flyers left it all on the ice and we're playing with abandon for two periods, but they simply don't have the horses to hang with the Pens.

It'd be nice if the cavalry got here sooner than later...

39 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Alright boys! ****** Monday morning for all of us Flyers Fans. That is one tough way to loose one hell of a series. I wanna start by saying that in NO WAY am I "disappointed" with this team. The better team won. Period. (ah, the taste of bile in the morning....)

Also, was VERY disappointed in the **** being thrown on the ice. Poor Philadelphia. I live nowhere near there. Have visited once for a game back in 2002 or so, (beautiful city and everyone I met seemed very nice). But man, just classless. Just chant REF YOU SUCK till your voice is gone! Too bad that a few drunk scum bags can create an "image" for a fanbase/city. And McGuire was ALL TOO HAPPY to keep it in the spotlight and let it reflect on the "home team".....I hate that little prick. :)

But back to hockey: We gave up 18+ goals in that series. GOALTENDING. PERIOD. (and Defense) Gudas was truly a GOAT in that last game. We need to address our goaltending and get some depth on D in the off season....THIS off-season. Giroux is not gonna score 100+ points for the next 3-4 years!! I fear we are wasting a franchise player.....

HEART: I remember a recent thread about this team having no heart. Sean Couturier, Ivan Provorov, and Claude Giroux say Hi.....Good God!! Coots may be my new favorite flyer. I mean wow. Torn MCL (or some kind of ligament damage) and he gets a hatty?! G might not have been what he needed to be in the post season, but he called the game 6 and got it. Scored some points, laid some CLEAN big hits (more on that in a second), etc.

"The Hit": Giroux's hit was clean. How do I know this? 1) I have eyes. 2)  When the entire broadcast crew (including McGuire), and EVERY OTHER hockey analyst I have heard comment on the play from NHL Tonight, to Sirius/XM radio this morning (stellcik and Simmer) say it's clean.....its probably clean. No Bias. No "shaded glasses". Not sure how you argue that....nor will I. :)

Officiating: BRUTAL. What can you say. And YES...it went both ways....BUT. My god. Letang was out there mowing guys down left and right game 6. I agree the Coots "take down" in the 3rd was questionable (his falling...not the fact that Letang should have been called for a trip). Borderline embellish to me. trying to "sell" a call in desperation. The cross check to Giroux's back was a ridiculous no call. The cross check to Coots back was a ridiculous no call. BUT AGAIN....will not blame this series loss on penalties....just that officiating in the NHL is a nightmare of inconsistency for EVERY team.

What was Missing: Voracheck. Simmer (till game 6), Giroux (for most of series), experience. I really need to see something more out of Voracheck (especially in the post season) to warrant his cap hit! I know he had a ton of  assists this season and hard to bash a guy with so many points but MAN. I kept saying to myself, "Voracheck is due for a big game" and it never seemed to happen. Kids need to grow a little and mature. TK, Patrick, and Prov are all gonna be really good hockey players for a long time in my opinion.

OKAY....I may be starting to ramble now. TOUGH way to loose a series. The boys came out with FIRE in their own barn for game 6. NEVER gave up. Coots and Prov playing injured. horrible goaltending all series, lack of depth on D, and TONS of young inexperienced players playing big minutes......Game 4 aside...was that the one where we came out flat and laid and egg?....

I'm DAMNED proud of the team and the players for what they showed and taking this team to 6 games! ALMOST 7! However, there are still some names/depth that need to be resolved.

Filipula (although maybe useful if used right), Read, Lehterha, Gudas, and Manning ALL need to go this offseason!

That's it. I'm done. Ready for swimming pools, trips to the beach, golf, fishing, warm weather,....ya know, the 4 months we get to be outside in New England! :)

Really hope this team does not take a "step back" in the offseason, cuz I saw flashes of BRILLIANCE from this young team. Lot to look forward to!

Hope you all have a great summer and thanks to all of you who keep this site going and interesting. I remember the migration from the Philly.com Forum back in the day....OH MAN.

GO VEGAS NIGHTS.....and whoever is playing the Penguins!!

(drops mic)

3peat still alive! Vegas has Fleury I doubt they win the Cup!

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

3peat still alive!

I can't believe any of you guys on that side thought that this series was ever in doubt from the get go.  My wallet and I were mentally prepared from the regular season for a debacle of a series and the Flyers didn't disappoint (save for a few brief moments here and there).  We are still a work in progress and are still shedding dead weight from the constant contract mistakes since the salary cap began.  I look forward to the time when our home grown guys develop and we have a chance to give you guys an actual series rather than being second rate sparring partners.

I wish I could wish you good luck with the 3 peat but the mere thought of that elicits the following reaction from me :HahaNO:

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

By giving the puck away in the middle of the ice, in their own zone the way that Ghost and Provy did on more than one occassion...and don't get me started on the hesitation of Ghost shooting the da*n puck on the power play. He has to learn to just let it rip sometimes and not worry so much about it getting blocked.

Yeah, but at their ages(25-21), its sometimes going to happen, especially with Provy.    He's going to grow into quite a defenseman, just give him some time.  

2 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

I can't believe any of you guys on that side thought that this series was ever in doubt from the get go.  My wallet and I were mentally prepared from the regular season for a debacle of a series and the Flyers didn't disappoint (save for a few brief moments here and there).  We are still a work in progress and are still shedding dead weight from the constant contract mistakes since the salary cap began.  I look forward to the time when our home grown guys develop and we have a chance to give you guys an actual series rather than being second rate sparring partners.

I wish I could wish you good luck with the 3 peat but the mere thought of that elicits the following reaction from me :HahaNO:

You guys kicked our ass the last time we played in the playoffs! (Remember you can't beat us chant!) (Thank you MAF!)

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Really hard to blame the officials when the team doesn't score 4 on 3 for 90 seconds - and doesn't even get much in the way of chances.

The two cross checks that were missed we're egregious. The "trip" non call on Coots could be because Letang actually played the puck and Coots barrelled into him. 

Neuvirth has to make that stop...

In the end, the better team won. The Flyers left it all on the ice and we're playing with abandon for two periods, but they simply don't have the horses to hang with the Pens.

It'd be nice if the cavalry got here sooner than later...

I'm  curious on how the Flyers drafted goalkeeper in the last few years?

14 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

You guys kicked our ass the last time we played in the playoffs! (Remember you can't beat us chant!) (Thank you MAF!)

Yeah but that was 6 whole seasons ago!!!  Our roster has turned over quite a bit since then and not for the better when it comes to matching up with the Pens.

1 minute ago, Poulin20 said:

Yeah but that was 6 whole seasons ago!!!  Our roster has turned over quite a bit since then and not for the better when it comes to matching up with the Pens.

How's your goalkeeper situation with the Phantom? 

4 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

We still have for the most part, the same core players!

6 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Really hope this team does not take a "step back" in the offseason

I can't see that happening unless Ron resigns some of the garbage that is supposed to walk.

Like Filppula, Mrazek, Read and Manning.

He does that and to me it would be a step back.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

The "trip" non call on Coots could be because Letang actually played the puck and Coots barrelled into him. 

That and the fact that Letang only had one hand on his stick and you can see Coots jump.  Had they called a trip there, I think there would've been an embellishment call on Coots.  Either way, a whistle would have prevented a goal...

11 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

That and the fact that Letang only had one hand on his stick and you can see Coots jump.  Had they called a trip there, I think there would've been an embellishment call on Coots.  Either way, a whistle would have prevented a goal...

Goalie should have prevented the goal...

Archived