Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

Lindberg i have been around for the ride since 1969 when Clarke was a rookie. Saw his 1st game at MLG. Never missed a Flyer game in Toronto in his career.  Was at his HOF induction. Clarke is the way hockey was meant to be played. All in all the time. Nobody on this Flyer team is wired like him. Pro hockey is not kindergarten. If you are part of the everybody gets a ribbon brigade you are part of the problem, not the solution. Making the playoffs this year will stunt the development of this team. I personally would like to see another cup or 6 before I'm gone. That should be the goal of everyone in the organization, but IMO that is not true right now. Watching this current  team is not a ride that impresses me. 

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

I think Hextall keeps him around no matter what...

At this point I think Hextall thinks he is the smartest man in the room.  How can you watch these lineup changes and NOT think this guy is out of his mind?   F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So he is going to go with Fil on the top line???? Oh dear God!!!!! :bonkingheadonwall:

About the coach I'll say this, I was thinking it would be nice to not have been Hakstol's first NHL job.

I don't think he's bad per se.  

He did build North Dakota into a a perennial contender, what he couldn't seem to do is get it over the top, his program did produce some fine players. Players who don't mind speaking highly of him. So it's not like he has been all Rich Kotite up in this.

I feel like the Flyers might wind up being his Bill Belicheck Cleveland Browns experience. That said I have seen enough to conclude i'm not a fan.

The thing that I have found perplexing is he consistently didn't seem to have the right defensive match ups even at home.  Now maybe the Pens were just working our guys so it didn't matter. But, I'd be wearing 9,53 and 47, 6 out before 3 and 23 sniffed the ice.

Manning is minus eleventy million in this series, yet he continues to dress and play big minutes to boot.

Why?

Stubborness ? Stupidity? Dislexia ?

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Manning is minus eleventy million in this series, yet he continues to dress and play big minutes to boot.

And is on the PK??? Why he sucks at it.

Hak' biggest thing (besides his line combos) is he just doesn't know how to counter punch...and it's killing this team. 

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And is on the PK??? Why he sucks at it.

Hak' biggest thing (besides his line combos) is he just doesn't know how to counter punch...and it's killing this team. 

He's overmatched and outwitted in this league, the NCAA ,although it's fun to watch, is nowhere near the level of play of the NHL, the pace is much quicker and he doesn't have the brain capacity to keep up. What works in college doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL , let these players play to their skills and and stop trying to re-mold them.... They were good enough to acquire for what they had achieved (at a position) then they get their hooks into them and we think you should play here ,(G never played center til he turned pro ,and look what happened when they put him back where he was when they drafted him.....) That's what scares me about Hart , once they start to "mold" him into an NHL goalie,  they're going to ruin him .... Let him play his style and his game  ,quit trying to "teach or tutor" these up and coming talented players ,let them flourish and then if they don't then try to mentor them ... You drafted these kids for a reason (hopefully not just cause they can skate fast , and we need fast kids ,)  you drafted them for they're talent ... Not oh yeah I can make him into whatever we want...

Quit being so damn loyal to former mediocre players, and giving them coaching jobs.  You want to do that then bring in mark recchi, rick tocchet ,  people that have won the cup on the ice and behind the bench, who have a clue what it takes to win in this league. And guess what ... They are former Flyers... So it would still fit the criteria of loyalty to former players (and hell yeah I left out mediocre , and if you have to ask why then shame on you !!!)

@Pucked in the head

I would want no part of Rick Tocchet as a coach here.

Truly I don't know who would be out there that would be a sure-fire upgrade.

We were talking Quenville, but he's staying put, Babcock is entrenched in Toronto. McClelland? Stevens? Alain Vingeault, Dave Tippett, Bob Hartley ?  There are a lot of retreads, would any of those guys be a clear upgrade ? Does Gordon get promoted from the Phantoms, what about Knoblach? supposedly he's "a riser".  A lot more questions than answers imo.

As for moving G to center, it became pretty clear early on in his NHL career he was highly skilled and any team would benefit from all that ability. The move from wing to play driving centerman made sense.  So I don't know if that's the best example for the point you're trying to make plus, he did have 93 points as a centerman. 

Developing young guys into successful men is not an exact science, each kid is different some are pretty self-directed see Crosby Sidney, others need a kick in the ass and a trade and still are found lacking see VanReimsdyk, James. 

Dave Hakstol isn't as stupid as you make him out to be, but I do feel like he isn't picking up the pro game as quickly as we'd all like either. It's year 4, the team hasn't really been "better" just a different type of mediocre so should a change at coach come I will not be upset.  

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

About the coach I'll say this, I was thinking it would be nice to not have been Hakstol's first NHL job.

I don't think he's bad per se.  

He did build North Dakota into a a perennial contender, what he couldn't seem to do is get it over the top, his program did produce some fine players. Players who don't mind speaking highly of him. So it's not like he has been all Rich Kotite up in this.

I feel like the Flyers might wind up being his Bill Belicheck Cleveland Browns experience. That said I have seen enough to conclude i'm not a fan.

The thing that I have found perplexing is he consistently didn't seem to have the right defensive match ups even at home.  Now maybe the Pens were just working our guys so it didn't matter. But, I'd be wearing 9,53 and 47, 6 out before 3 and 23 sniffed the ice.

Why?

Stubborness ? Stupidity? Dislexia ?

He did make ND a perennial contender but I heard an interesting stat the other day.  I just looked it up to confirm.  They won the championship in 2000 and 2016.  Hak was there from 2004-2015.  They also won in it 1997.  So although he did have success, he never got them a championship, and they won championships not long before him and immediately after him.

Does that mean anything?  Who knows.  His coaching style doesn't do anything for me though.

39 minutes ago, icehole said:

Does that mean anything?

Yeah.  It means he was recruiting the right players and quite possibly even developing some skills right but couldn't get the job done as a bench coach.   Someone else had to come in and finish the job with his players.

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

And they have to really strongly consider whether they have the right coach.   

I think he gets next year yet.   But if they go into the playoffs next year and see similar results (of things Hak can control. 

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You guys can give me hell on Tuesday in the likely event I'm wrong, but I'm going to go out on a broken limb:    Hakstol is fired by Monday if they lose on Friday.   You heard it here first.    We'll find out at some point later that it was Hextall's job or Hakstol's.

Bipolar much?!?:IDunnoSmiley:

5 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Bipolar much?!?:IDunnoSmiley:

Only a lot. 

I really did think he gets next year. I still think he probably does.  But I'm gonna stick with the by Tuesday prediction, just because I'm feeling saucy. 

54 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah.  It means he was recruiting the right players and quite possibly even developing some skills right but couldn't get the job done as a bench coach.   Someone else had to come in and finish the job with his players.

He was there 11yrs  there were plenty of HIS players.... Just saying

20 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

He was there 11yrs  there were plenty of HIS players.... Just saying

It's almost like I just said that. Wait, I did.

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. Unless I'm not following you.  Because that's exactly what I was saying. He recruited the right guys. May even have developed the right skills. But he's a horrible game day bench coach and couldn't get it done. Someone else was able to come in behind him, with the same players (his players) and win. 

I also don't follow the post about not recruiting any of his players now.

That was also the point to my post. 

25 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

And as far as I know he didn't recruit ANY of HIS players now.....

Well, Vandevelde was on the team last year.  :haha:  but no he wasn't recruited by Hakstol.

I'm not sure what you mean really,  as players such as J. Toews, TJ Oshie, Z. Parise, T Zajac, B. Nelson, A. Dell were coached by Hakstol who are under contract for other NHL teams.

So what do you mean by recruiting "his" players?

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Someone else was able to come in behind him, with the same players (his players) and win. 

Cam Johnson came in too let's not forget and played out his frigging mind too when they won it all.

Zane McIntryre was good but he wasn't nowhere as good as Johnson was and that team was more mature as a whole by then.

11 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Well, Vandevelde was on the team last year.  :haha:  but no he wasn't recruited by Hakstol.

I'm not sure what you mean really,  as players such as J. Toews, TJ Oshie, Z. Parise, T Zajac, B. Nelson, A. Dell were coached by Hakstol who are under contract for other NHL teams.

So what do you mean by recruiting "his" players?

I think it was in response to me, but that was part of my point. 

He didn't win a championship with HIS players in SD.  My point there being that he was good at something there (recruiting) that is NOT his responsibility in Philly.   I'm theorizing that they won with the same players immediately after he left because he is not a very good game day bench coach (something that IS his responsibility in Philly).  He had the players and seemingly did a good job with development (evidenced by the names you listed) but can't get a team to win (evidenced by wins immediately before abs, especially, after his tenure). 

I'm also theorizing that he's doing a decent job developing our kids, but he's a lousy strategist and game day bench coach. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Cam Johnson came in too let's not forget and played out his frigging mind too when they won it all.

Zane McIntryre was good but he wasn't nowhere as good as Johnson was and that team was more mature as a whole by then.

J. Toews, TJ Oshie, Z. Parise, T Zajac, B. Nelson, A. Dell were coached by Hakstol. 

He developed. He couldn't seal the deal.  He's a lousy strategist and game day coach.  I think there's plenty of NCAA and NHL evidence. 

Archived