Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

I have a feeling Simmon's will be gone at the draft. He still has a lot of value to teams. I think he's more hurt then we realize. You'll still find teams that value past performance or that are desperate for a big winger (Oilers).  What's a little discouraging to me is other teams seem to give their younger players a shot at the NHL quicker than the Flyers. While the Flyers will take on one bad contract to get rid of another. You don't see the top teams doing that very often.  Do the Penguins actually have a dead weight contract on their roster or Tampa?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think I agree.  It's time.  Our "core" isn't getting any younger.   Or at least the older "core" anyway.   I'm not a fan of Voracek, but if the thought is that you want to keep him for the contender stage, bring the contender stage to him.  Waiting is foolish and will only bring about the perpetual 5-year plan that people are growing (have grown) weary of.

I agree completely.   

It is time... the prospects are prospects and unproven.  Frost is a few years away and right now he is the most enticing prospect among the forwards.   

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Waiting is foolish and will only bring about the perpetual 5-year plan that people are growing (have grown) weary of.

this is what i was trying to say earlier, but couldn't put it together completely. With the question where is the window ?

I think this current playoff, which i didn't expect and was excited for...is ruined by the fact that a historically horrible in state franchise has surpassed ours and is currently kicking our asses. 

That sucks, there's no other way around it. They have the best player in the league, who may go down as a top 5 in history player, and a top 5 in the league guy, a top 10 defenseman, and the food truck guy with the shot... and they sucked, they were on their way to Kansas City or where ever. They tanked for Lemeiux, they could not suck enough prior to the lockout and draft that brought them 87.  Mean time our team thinks 88 points is a bad year, perennially in the playoffs until the last 5 years, snake-bit in that our best 80's teams paralleled the great Edmonton Oilers teams and our best 90's teams couldn't beat Martin ****** Brodeur.  It doesn't seem fair and I get that. 

Our team is now being built, our team should be competitive for years if managed properly.  We have very good young guys on the NHL team and some really intriguing prospects in jr and the A...We're just not there yet.  We have to let Pgh do Pgh, their window will close their cupboards will be less stocked from rightfully trying to extend the window of 87 and 71...it's going to take time though.

Tom Petty is never wrong.

@albertaflyer
good post, good points.

2 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

I have a feeling Simmon's will be gone at the draft. He still has a lot of value to teams. I think he's more hurt then we realize. You'll still find teams that value past performance or that are desperate for a big winger (Oilers).  What's a little discouraging to me is other teams seem to give their younger players a shot at the NHL quicker than the Flyers. While the Flyers will take on one bad contract to get rid of another. You don't see the top teams doing that very often.  Do the Penguins actually have a dead weight contract on their roster or Tampa?

good post....   I think there is some merit about not letting the kids plan but development is a finicky thing.

As much as I am cold when it comes to Ronald those moves were a result of piss-poor cap management by Homer.   I am not absolving him b/c he did sign DW and gave Jake that contract after a career year when he was still under contract.  I think this summer will be quite telling for Ronald.

He sat on his hands at the trade deadline and did not try to improve the team down the stretch and the playoffs.  I am not really sure what to expect from Hextall this off-season.   

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

He sat on his hands at the trade deadline and did not try to improve the team down the stretch and the playoffs.

I actually think this was the right move.   I really don't think we were a player, or even two, away.   Maybe an above average goalie and an above average winger helps a lot, but I'm not sure it gets us past Pittsburgh.   Maybe if the chips fell differently and we draw the Caps or someone else.   But the type of rental you get at the deadline (and what typically goes the other way) wouldn't have been long-term helpful.  I don't think, anyway.

But a trade at the draft or after and/or a decent FA signing or two and I think we're in business.  So long as that trade or FA signing involves a goalie.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I actually think this was the right move.   I really don't think we were a player, or even two, away.   Maybe an above average goalie and an above average winger helps a lot, but I'm not sure it gets us past Pittsburgh.   Maybe if the chips fell differently and we draw the Caps or someone else.   But the type of rental you get at the deadline (and what typically goes the other way) wouldn't have been long-term helpful.  I don't think, anyway.

But a trade at the draft or after and/or a decent FA signing or two and I think we're in business.  So long as that trade or FA signing involves a goalie.

Oh, I agree... I was just referencing Hexy's penchant for not doing much and always relying on the "patience" factor.

BTW, anyone see the 1st line in practice this morning?   Sigh...

@davegisaac
19m19 minutes ago
More
Players by jersey color
Orange:Giroux,Filppula,Voracek
Green: Lehtera, Read, Simmonds, Weise
Grey: Lindblom, Patrick, Konecny
Yellow: Raffl, Leier, Weal, Laughton

10 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I am not really sure what to expect from Hextall this off-season.

Me neither. Although, the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. 

I can see a trade up at the draft - maybe package our two 1sts and Simmer for a top 5 pick. Or two 1sts and Voracek to whoever ends up with 1st/2nd overall. Would Buffalo be interested in that? Maybe, it gives them a top player in his prime under contract. What about ARizona? Edmonton? I could see Edmonton going for something like that - they don't need more top end picks. They need talented veterans - but they're already top  heavy in contracts, wow. Lucic, Draisatl, McDavid, and RNH combined make almost $35M. That's just ridiculous.

Sign Kane or Neal or someone of that calibre to offset the loss of Voracek. 

Go after Carlson or Karlsson. 

I don't know. I do feel it's going to be a lot of the same - incremental growth. With more rookies will come more mistakes, more miscues. So two steps forward, one step back. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

I just vomited in my mouth.

Of the two, I'd take Kane.   I think they're both horrible human beings.

Agreed. 

Let's get Lucic and put Kane/Neal/Lucic on the same line and see what happens :)

15 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

My hypothesis is: this experiment was a failure !!!!!!!!

I wish I could defend him and say you're wrong.

But I can't I got nothing.

However I don't think Ron will fire him.

But with that said I show Murphy and Lappy the door.

9 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Oh, I agree... I was just referencing Hexy's penchant for not doing much and always relying on the "patience" factor.

BTW, anyone see the 1st line in practice this morning?   Sigh...

@davegisaac
19m19 minutes ago
More
Players by jersey color
Orange:Giroux,Filppula,Voracek
Green: Lehtera, Read, Simmonds, Weise
Grey: Lindblom, Patrick, Konecny
Yellow: Raffl, Leier, Weal, Laughton

You know this ****** coach couldn't help himself with Filppula on the top line.  For God's sake, just put Giroux back at center and let Patrick center Konecny and Simmonds and then who gives a **** with the bottom six.

I have hot and cold periods with Hakstol, but his management of the roster has been absolutely **** recently.  Let alone the fact that somehow he's managed to coach any physicality or aggression out of this team.  Maybe that's just the demeanor of the players, but I have a sense it has a lot to do with the coach.  Team has absolutely no balls.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

But with that said I show Murphy and Lappy the door.

At the very least.  

And if you're going to do that, maybe bring in the veteran heir apparent to be assistant.

Bring Hitchcock out of retirement so we can all get golf lessons.   I kid.  I kid.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Isn't it a LITTLE disconcerting that your rookie pick with no playoff experience is the "best player" and the 100 point "Hart candidate" and his 85 point partner have three points and zero goals between them?

I ask this because the "ready in a few years" mantra seems to overlook the fact that these two unproductive playoff performers (93 with three points and one goal in his past 10 playoff games and 28 with TWO over that span) are taking up $16.5M on the salary cap and will likely still be doing so in "a few years" as they are both signed for at least the next four seasons...

I wanted Giroux to finally have a breakout postseason and instead he's gone practically invisible. Again.

Crosby has as many points in his past five playoff games as Giroux has in his past five playoff YEARS.

So by "a few years" are we still really talking the sliding 3-5 year time frame that has been the "window" for the past 3-5 years?

If the VeeGees don't get their playoff acts together, this team goes nowhere even if Patrick is the best player and Carter Hart is "the answer" in net.

I said this before and got flak and may again.

I would move Jake this offseason while his stock is the highest for a haul so you aren't left moving later when his stock is down like Simmer.

Sure would that leave a hole I say yes but look for other options maybe and get what you can now for the bumbling fool.

Blast way!

I think I try to be kind of level headed about things, but I am at my wit's end with Hakstol.  The team looks completely lost on the ice.  His matchups and line selections have been dreadful.  There is NO physicality.  Team is completely soft.  The PK has been horrendous all year (yeah, it's Lappy's domain but maybe you work with Lappy to try something different).  His goaltender usage for the entire year, and in this series, has been perplexing.  Look, I'll give him credit for showing faith in his guys at time.  But faith only gets you so far.  By the way, there is no way he's getting fired in the offseason, unless Hextall feels his own job is in jeopardy.

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

The trade off of not making the playoffs is drafting higher, which statistically makes you better sooner. The SOP of this team drives me nuts, and this most recent version is all the proof you need. Make the playoffs draft Scott Laughton, Sam Morin. Miss the playoffs, draft Ivan Provorov and Nolan Patrick.

If you didnt already know before this week that goaltending, defence, and forward were all very weak, then yes, you are an idiot. But everybody gets a ribbon. In some cases, 8.2 million ribbons.

Well unless the Flyers were going to strike lightning in the bottle and move up from 14th or 15th spot to top 3 spots in the draft, the Flyers would end up a decent to good prospect but the Flyers might end up with a little playoff experience this year plus a good prospect drafted in the 11th to 15th spot because of the St. Louis 1st round pick that the Flyers acquired. If you don't want to stay around for the ride with this team then choose another team to cheer for!

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I said this before and got flak and may again.

I would move Jake this offseason while his stock in the highest for a haul so you aren't left moving later when his stock is down like Simmer.

Sure would that leave a hole I say yes but look for other options maybe and get what you can now for the bumbling fool.

Blast way!

If the price is right I would do it!

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

If the price is right I would do it!

Maybe he could bring a solid goalie back on a short term deal?? Just kicking the can down the street......

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe he could bring a solid goalie back on a short term deal?? Just kicking the can down the street......

I would think so.... I would think you might be able to get a bit more.   

oh, also from Dave Isaac today:

So Manning still in and Sanheim out.  I get that Sanheim (and Laughton) messed up on the second goal, but come on.  ****** Manning.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't disagree with the premise.   In fact, I couldn't possibly argue with that statement.  Just saying xanax probably isn't the way to go if you want an improvement.  Unless killing him is your improvement objective (not really arguing with that either).

I was really joking..I think the guy just isn't an nhl caliber coach. He froze..The team saw it and followed suit..Tortorella type coach is needed..This bunch is to coddled..And they seem in need of a HEART..

On 4/12/2018 at 2:47 AM, Samifan said:

No, Chicago already announced he will be back next season. 

Hextall is too proud or stubborn to fire Hakstol. I think the best we can hope for is a change in assistants by removing Lappy, Murphy and whoever the hell the goalie coach is these days. Maybe a trade for quick..Elliott didn't even care about this series..

On 4/12/2018 at 2:47 AM, Samifan said:

No, Chicago already announced he will be back next season. 

Hextall is too proud or stubborn to fire Hakstol. I think the best we can hope for is a change in assistants by removing Lappy, Murphy and whoever the hell the goalie coach is these days. Maybe a trade for quick..Elliott didn't even care about this series..

Archived