Phantoms/Marlies

Lunatic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It ain't looking good for the Phantoms down 3-0 with 18 minutes left in the 3rd.

Scoring 5 goals in 3 games just ain't enough.

Only 9 shots IN THE WHOLE GAME so far for Phantoms....

Dd7HUXsV4AADJOL.jpg

17 giveaways can't win like that!!!!

56 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Suspension?  Do I hear Hart's name being called????

Might as will put Frost in there too

No more than likely not.

Tokarski or John Muse more than likely.

Seems to be more concern with the young Dmen....

Phantoms' Travis Sanheim- Philippe Myers pairing can't be trusted with Flyers

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — The Flyers' general manager who was able to construct an entire blue line through trades and free-agent signings was once asked, "What’s the number one trait you look for out of a defenseman?"

Paul Holmgren’s response was decisive and to the point. Paraphrasing, Holmgren said, "The one who can get the puck out of his zone as quickly as possible."

As much as the game of hockey has been broken down into advanced metrics and analytics, it’s rather simple at its core. The more time a team spends in their end of the ice, the greater likelihood they’ll be on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

The AHL playoffs have served as an ideal test site for Travis Sanheim and Philippe Myers, who have been stalwarts throughout the Phantoms postseason run. 

However, Game 3 at the PPL Center Wednesday night further exemplified the necessary strides the Flyers' defensive prospects must take in order to develop into reliable everyday NHL blueliners.  

Oftentimes, less is more when you have the puck in the defensive end of the ice, and it took roughly 62 seconds into the game on Sanheim’s opening shift for the 22-year-old to make a major gaffe that gave the Toronto Marlies a 1-0 lead. 

Instead of making the simple play of a quick pass up the boards, Sanheim elected to keep it, reversing his field and was suddenly stripped with the attacking forward trailing. Roughly two seconds elapsed from the moment Sanheim lost the puck to when it was behind goalie Alex Lyon in the net. 

Carl Grundstrom finds some space to get the scoring started.#MarliesLivepic.twitter.com/dpdeSb55yO

— Toronto Marlies (@TorontoMarlies) May 23, 2018

“On that particular play, we have full possession of the puck and the opportunity to advance it," Phantoms head coach Scott Gordon said. "Instead we go back behind the net to where their guy is. That’s just playing into their hands. In that situation, and in a few of our breakouts, there were opportunities to move forward with the puck and we didn’t.”   

However, the gaffes involving the Sanheim-Myers pairing didn’t stop there. Sanheim was stripped of the puck at his own blue line during the first Phantoms' power play. Myers inexcusably lost his edge skating with the puck through the neutral zone. Toronto’s Andreas Johnsson muscled his way around Sanheim to generate a quality scoring chance, and then another terrible pass and turnover inside the Phantoms' zone.

And that all came in the first seven minutes of the game. 

If Dave Hakstol had been behind the bench (he was actually watching from the PPL Center press box), Sanheim is likely sitting in front of him for the remainder of the game. That’s essentially what transpired in mid-January at the Prudential Center in New Jersey when Sanheim’s play landed him back in the minors for a month and a half. 

Chalk this up as one bad game. Game 3 of the AHL’s Eastern Conference Finals was simply another teaching moment as the Phantoms were blown out, 5-0, falling behind 3-0 in the series. Both players will be back there together logging close to 25 minutes as the Phantoms avoid elimination Friday night.    

As exciting as it is to watch Sanheim and Myers generate offense within the Phantoms' system with their size and skating ability, there’s no way Hakstol and the Flyers can depend on that pairing defensively next season. Together, they’re still young, inexperienced and unreliable. 

If anything, expect the competition between Myers and Sanheim as something worth watching when Flyers' camp opens in September. Myers has closed the gap in his first full season in the AHL. 

And the guy who can clean up their play defensively will likely be the one that starts next season with the Flyers.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/phantoms-travis-sanheim-philippe-myers-pairing-cant-be-trusted-flyers

Hhhhmmmm.....

Phantoms miss Sam real bad. 

They also have 2 ECHL guys on their squad and the Marlies just don't too much skill for the Phantoms to handle it seems.

For those who want to see the game tune into the NHLnework...just set my DVR to record it...i would love to see Hart get the start.  Tonight at 7pm.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:19 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Wow terrible call on a kick which i don't really even see...whatever...a shove yeah but not a kick.

I think it was intended as a shove/kick with the pads not with the skate.   The league may make a big deal out if it since it's technically a kicking motion (technically).  

But I'm with you.  The reality of it is it's a big nothing burger.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Phantoms' Travis Sanheim- Philippe Myers pairing can't be trusted with Flyers

Would you even put them together on the Flyers anyway?  At least out of the gate?

I don't think I would.   Maybe down the road, but not in the near future.

It's all part of growing pains.  Sanheim is used to dominating in juniors and carrying play.  I assume Myers is as well.   They are finding they can't do that as much at the AHL level.  They also find themselves down in a series and are probably trying to do too much.  Ghost had to learn and made big strides this past year.  So will these guys.  It will happen at the NHL level as well.  Give it time.  No reason to keep them in the AHL next year.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Would you even put them together on the Flyers anyway?  At least out of the gate?

I don't think I would.   Maybe down the road, but not in the near future.

Not sure.

How I would pair them up.

Of course different to start.

But I could see:

Ivan/Ghost

Sanheim/Hagg

Mcdud/Meyers

To start with Morin out for awhile.

Without watching them actually play together and see how they work together it is hard to say.

But say in the future I could see them together.

Especially if you wanted to create a defensive shut down pair I could see Morin and Hagg together.

Ivan/Ghost

Sanheim/Meyers

Morin/Hagg

Now will it work? Can't say right now.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure.

How I would pair them up.

Of course different to start.

But I could see:

Ivan/Ghost

Sanheim/Hagg

Mcdud/Meyers

To start with Morin out for awhile.

Without watching them actually play together and see how they work together it is hard to say.

But say in the future I could see them together.

Especially if you wanted to create a defensive shut down pair I could see Morin and Hagg together.

Ivan/Ghost

Sanheim/Meyers

Morin/Hagg

Now will it work? Can't say right now.

Yeah, hard to say in the future, but it would be something I'd try once they have more seasoning.  Doing it now I think has some offensive upside (especially in the AHL), but I think predictably exposes them on the back end. 

Am i the only one here watching this game??

Marlies forwards are much better than the Phantoms.

Lyon is keeping them in this one.

1-1 17 minutes left in the 3rd.

Phantoms season over. Swept can't say i saw that happen.

Image result for sweeping gif

Phantoms just sloppy and have less skill at forward. Defense has skill but soft around the net.

I think it is time to fire Gordon and look for a new head coach...seemed to have no answer for Marlies style of play.

They have some new talent coming in at forward next year.

Rubtsov, Laberge, Kase, Bunnaman along with Hart should up the talent hunger level on the club.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Am i the only one here watching this game??

Marlies forwards are much better than the Phantoms.

Lyon is keeping them in this one.

1-1 17 minutes left in the 3rd.

Nope, I was watching as well. Marlies have been the class of the A all season. The Phantoms were completely outmatched in all areas. That kid Krushelnyski can flat out fly. Curious to see how he develops. 

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think it is time to fire Gordon and look for a new head coach...seemed to have no answer for Marlies style of play.

I recorded it and watched it later. Toronto was the best team in the A and they beat the second best team in the A.  It looked like men against boys out there. 

I doubt that Gordon gets fired. He's taking the phantoms to the playoffs in the last two years. Last year was the first round exit this year was the conference finals.  The team has gotten better every year since he's been there.  Stranger things have happened but I think you'll see him back behind the bench next year. 

10 hours ago, Samifan said:

That kid Krushelnyski can flat out fly. Curious to see how he develops. 

Sadly Krush already has, he will be 28 this upcoming year and is just a AHL journeyman....zero NHL games and has bounced around the AHL and ECHL since 2014.

I thought only a few Phantoms were even noticeable.

I really was impressed most by Goulbourne's play. 

I love the way he lays a check kid is not real big but man he will blow some guys up.

I would love to see him get a long look on the Flyers 4th line next year he was pretty solid defensively too.

I was expecting a better series. Phantoms lack the skill at forward and the whole team just seemed gassed.

It was like they just never recovered from that 5 OT game.

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I doubt that Gordon gets fired.

I do too.

Still thing he did nothing it seemed to try and counter the Marlies at all....do keep the same thing going and expected different results.

And leans to much on his vets than his kids it seemed.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sadly Krush already has, he will be 28 this upcoming year and is just a AHL journeyman....zero NHL games and has bounced around the AHL and ECHL since 2014.

@OccamsRazor thanks for the clarification, had no idea he was that old and has bounced around so much. 

I've been travelling for work so sadly missed all 4 games even with the expanded TV coverage.  Even more sad was that I was in Toronto but spent time up north for the long weekend so again missed the chance to watch first hand.

Anyway, I agree with much of what has been previously mentioned.  The Phantoms do have their share of career AHL players so the Phantom's rising success, I believe, needs to be put into perspective.  That being said if adding a few career AHL players is done to improve the team to give more playoff and big game experience to "true" prospects then I am all for it.  I don't have my finger on the pulse of the Phantoms but it will be interesting to see who of the next wave of draftees will go to the AHL, ECHL or back to junior next year. 

I'm really hoping for one or two of the many forwards drafted in 2016 draft to turn out.  

Lyon i think did all he could do to keep the club in the series the Marlies were just the better team.

He could however in Ron's be considered a backup to Elliott and give them the chance to move on from Neuvy at the draft for whatever in return just to move his contract.

Here is one of the many amazing saves he made...

They could sign Stolie for next year in the AHL and with his injury history would pass through waivers to be sent down with Hart.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:52 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Why ?

If winning was his only job, maybe ?

He's had very little talent to work with until the last 2 years. 

Seems to me like he's doing a good job of actually developing players for the next level.  For me, that's a big part of his job.

I would prefer to have some stability in the organization especially in the developmental areas than make what reads as a knee-jerk reaction to getting beat by one of the AHL's top teams going on 6 years now. 

Archived