Should Tom Wilson recieve more punishment on his hit on Marchessault?

pilldoc

What do you think?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Was Tom Wilson's hit on Marchessault ....

• A legal hit and deserves no other punishment
    • A late hit, but deserves no other punishement such as fines or suspensions
    • A late hit and deserves to be fined only
    • A late hit that deserves to be fined and suspended
  2. 2. IF you answered Number 4 above.....How long should he be suspended?

• 1 game
    • 2 games because he is a repeat offender this playoff season
    • 3 or more games because he is a repeat offender this playoff season
    • no suspension

So everyone will be talking about the hit that Wilson laid out on Marchessault.  What are your thoughts?  Suspension worthy or not?

Here is the video:

Here is the corresponding rules .....

Rule 43

– Checking from Behind

Checking from Behind

– A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.

Minor Penalty

- There is no provision for a minor penalty for checking from behind.

Major Penalty

– Any player who cross-checks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to protect or defend himself, shall be assessed a major penalty. This penalty applies anywhere on  the playing surface (see 43.5).

Match Penalty

- The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by checking from behind.

Game Misconduct

– A game misconduct penalty must be assessed anytime a major penalty is applied for checking from behind.

Fines and Suspensions

- Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 41 and/or Rule 43, in  either the Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game. If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28 )

I didn't vote.

This was an illegal hit.   It was well late and I thought he came a bit too far.   It didn't appear to be at the head, but maybe.   

I think it should have been 2 or 5 in-game and leave it at that.  Maybe there's the discussion because the refs missed it.  The huddle indicates they knew that clearly something happened, but they didn't see it.   

I don't know.  If you remove Wilson's name from it, it's a late hit and a penalty.   I'm not sure I like them adding the name to it and context from an unrelated hit.   

He may get something supplemental, but I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree.

Wilson was having himself a shift prior to that, he was hitting everything in grey in the defensive zone.  Big hits, at least 3 that were in the run of play or of the "check finishing" variety. 

One could have watched that shift and thought "43's running around like an idiot this isn't going to end well.", which is what I thought. 

I was fully expecting a fight based on how Wilson was playing.

That hit was late, dirty, bad. the only decent thing about it was he didn't "Steckel" him with his elbow. had he done that, 81 is in next week. 

I voted for 2 games because it was a ridiculously late hit, and it was 100% unnecessary and to the blind side.  Marchessault had ZERO reason to expect to be hit when that happened.  Wilson skated half of the width of the ice as he lined up the hit.  I feel pretty safe in saying he knew exactly what he was doing.  

IMO it should be a 2-game suspension without hesitation.  My guess (if anything) he gets a stern warning and that's it despite the fact he's a repeat offender.  If Reaves did the same thing to Ovechkin...he'd get a 2-game suspension immediately.  

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Wilson was having himself a shift prior to that, he was hitting everything in grey in the defensive zone.  Big hits, at least 3 that were in the run of play or of the "check finishing" variety. 

One could have watched that shift and thought "43's running around like an idiot this isn't going to end well.", which is what I thought. 

I was fully expecting a fight based on how Wilson was playing.

Yeah, it reminded me of some of James Neal's shifts in Pittsburgh.

@pilldoc

I edited your poll as choosing option 3 fine only would not submit the poll without answering the 2nd question, thus I added no suspension.

I chose fine only because there was no contact to the head, and Marchessault was not not injured.  A late hit, yes, and a dangerous hit, yes.  Wilson deserves a 5 min major, a league warning and a stiff fine.

It's insanely late but not even close to being an illegal hit to the head. Shoulder to shoulder.

Late hits to the head are suspensions.

Late hits are penalties.

This one is the latter...and I hate Tom Wilson.

The guy has proven himself a thug and goon. The hit was very late and blindside. He is a repeat offender. He should be out 3 games and here is where I think the NHL needs to step up and really prove that they don't want players like that out there. What should happen is Wilson is out three games. He is a RW. The Caps should not be allowed to replace him so they will have to skate a RW short for three games. This puts extra time and wear on the team because his act of trying to hurt somebody. It would make players like him start to disappear as it would hurt the team he plays for. This would prove without a doubt the NHL is really trying to stomp this crap out like they claim to be. Could you image the Caps being short a player, RW in this case, for 3 more games in the Stanley Cup? Wilson would be cut so fast and the odds of him getting picked up elsewhere would be pretty slim. It would send a message and cause waves around the NHL and how teams view players.

34 minutes ago, B21 said:

It's insanely late but not even close to being an illegal hit to the head. Shoulder to shoulder.

Late hits to the head are suspensions.

Late hits are penalties.

This one is the latter...and I hate Tom Wilson.

Pretty much the same opinion.

You wanna get rid of those hits ? Fines won't change anything. A strong suspension just to make an example ? Same result, plus the check itself was legal...

I'll always stick with the good ol' days: eye for an eye. You are doing such check, ok guys we won't be whining, making the crybabies and complaining on the refs. It's recorded, we get your address. Later in the game, send the biggest guy you have in your lineup and hit him twice harder, That's the only way to be respected. An opponent 30-goal scorer standing in open-ice, the occasion was too beautiful.

1 hour ago, bbgarnett said:

@CreaseAndAssist  Basically have the same thoughts you did but voted for 3 games in the end but was torn between 2 and 3. Also, I feel he will get suspended but it'll probably be 1 game even though it should be more.

NHL are always pansies about suspensions once the season gets to the Finals.  If he gets more than one, I'll be shocked.  

IMO, suspensions should be treated the same way in the regular season as they are in the playoffs.  So if you mandated 10 games for something like that in the regular season, then it should be 10 in the post-season.  I don't care if more is on the line...then don't be a moron.  Its pretty simple.  

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Pretty much the same opinion.

You wanna get rid of those hits ? Fines won't change anything. A strong suspension just to make an example ? Same result, plus the check itself was legal...

I'll always stick with the good ol' days: eye for an eye. You are doing such check, ok guys we won't be whining, making the crybabies and complaining on the refs. It's recorded, we get your address. Later in the game, send the biggest guy you have in your lineup and hit him twice harder, That's the only way to be respected. An opponent 30-goal scorer standing in open-ice, the occasion was too beautiful.

Ryan Reaves is a Golden Knight. Just sayin'.

In Wilson's defense (threw up saying that) it's only "blindside" because Marchessault's head is turned watching his pass. His body is actually moving towards Wilson. In the physics of this universe it's impossible for that to be a "blindside" hit.

Fine Wilson a decent amount to send a message, as he has a  fair share of run-ins with the Player Safety Department, but he should not be suspended. The hit was late and a blindside, but Marchessault should have had his head up, and could have turned toward Wilson. That contributed to what happened. They call that contributory negligence. He just got rid of the puck, so it was a legal, though late, hockey play.

48 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Fine Wilson a decent amount to send a message, as he has a  fair share of run-ins with the Player Safety Department, but he should not be suspended. The hit was late and a blindside, but Marchessault should have had his head up, and could have turned toward Wilson. That contributed to what happened. They call that contributory negligence. He just got rid of the puck, so it was a legal, though late, hockey play.

You can't fine him a decent amount.  I think its $5k tops.  Marchessault should have his head up; so he's ready to be hit from his blind side.  The pass occurred a full 3 seconds ago.  He had ZERO reason to expect to be hit.  Placing guilt on him for the hit is ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Ryan Reaves is a Golden Knight. Just sayin'.

In Wilson's defense (threw up saying that) it's only "blindside" because Marchessault's head is turned watching his pass. His body is actually moving towards Wilson. In the physics of this universe it's impossible for that to be a "blindside" hit.

Why should he expect to be hit, he passed the puck 2-3 seconds before he got hit?  Wilson clearly saw the puck wasn't there...so he's finishing his check late on a guy not looking at him...because it was an accident??  C'mon man...

Late hit but not to the head. So late of a hit that the refs were following the puck and did not even see the chicken 5hit shot Wilson put on him. I have no problem with clean and even heavy LEGAL checks but that was neither. If I were Vegas, Wilson would be facing off against Reaves to answer for his cowardice. When they both go for fighting, Vegas wins. By letting Wilson off without punishment, the hits will now get cheaper and cheaper until someone is carried off the ice. The refs have already lost control of the game before the puck drops if Wilson receives no punishment.

16 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Why should he expect to be hit, he passed the puck 2-3 seconds before he got hit?  Wilson clearly saw the puck wasn't there...so he's finishing his check late on a guy not looking at him...because it was an accident??  C'mon man...

I never said he should have expected to be hit. I only said I don't buy this notion of that being a "blindside" hit. He's moving towards Wilson. His back is not turned. The hit is shoulder to shoulder.  It was late and Wilson was rightfully penalized for interference. 

Let's face it - if it's not  Marchessault and he doesn't go into the concussion protocol - we aren't talking about this hit at all.

Agree or disagree with the though process but that's kinda what Wilson is "supposed" to do, no? Is 2:00 worth it to maybe make Marchessault play a little skittish while he's out there? Of course (though ideally not with 5:00 gone in the 3rd period of a 4-4- game). I mean if Wilson really wanted to do some damage he could have. Instead he went shoulder to shoulder and again - was penalized accordingly.  

Nothing to see here.

17 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Well he did get 2:00 for interference. As for squaring off with Reaves - I'd be shocked. Wilson wouldn't fight Oleksiak who, while large, doesn't carry Reaves' azz-kicker reputation.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

He's moving towards Wilson. His back is not turned. The hit is shoulder to shoulder

I agree with the shoulder to shoulder part, but not at all with the rest of it.  That hit is the definition of blindsided. He's not moving toward Wilson.  I mean, clearly Wilson is moving toward him, but Marchessault is looking completely the opposite direction up ice and Wilson comes from 5:00 (generously, 4:00).    But what of it?  What if it is blindside?

I don't think that "blindsided" is a criterion for a penalty, though, is it?   It was late and he wasn't carrying the puck.  So far, we have a 2-minute minor.   What else?  It was a "blindside" hit.  So what?  That kind of goes with the interference.   It wasn't to the head.

I kind of had mixed feelings about this when the poll was first put up, but that was largely due to my dislike of Wilson and his history.  But if you take  away the name on the jersey, we're not really talking about this hit, are we? 

And, of course, there's this too:

if it's not  Marchessault and he doesn't go into the concussion protocol - we aren't talking about this hit at all.

I doubt there's supplementary discipline unless they wrongly take his name into account.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Well he did get 2:00 for interference.

Wow, yeah he was.  I hadn't seen the box score or anything so had to go look when I read this.   The broadcast booth thought both calls were for the stuff after the fact.  Thanks for that!

On 5/30/2018 at 10:54 AM, ruxpin said:

I agree with the shoulder to shoulder part, but not at all with the rest of it.  That hit is the definition of blindsided. He's not moving toward Wilson.  I mean, clearly Wilson is moving toward him, but Marchessault is looking completely the opposite direction up ice and Wilson comes from 5:00 (generously, 4:00).    But what of it?  What if it is blindside?

I don't think that "blindsided" is a criterion for a penalty, though, is it?   It was late and he wasn't carrying the puck.  So far, we have a 2-minute minor.   What else?  It was a "blindside" hit.  So what?  That kind of goes with the interference.   It wasn't to the head.

He's certainly not looking at him but he is moving towards him. Moving "right" (towards Wilson) but looking left. I'm not going to fault him as technically he should not "expect" to get hit there. Still...a player shouldn't expect to be cross-checked or boarded or slashed either...but it happens. That's why they are penalties. I just don't see it being any more than what it was. 2:00 for interference.  Not sure where "blindside" comes into account as far as a penalty. The rule states unaware and hit in the back. Certainly the latter does not apply. The penalty (rightfully) is when he hit him - not where. Just my $2.00.

4 minutes ago, B21 said:

He's certainly not looking at him but he is moving towards him. Moving "right" (towards Wilson) but looking left. I'm not going to fault him as technically he should not "expect" to get hit there. Still...a player shouldn't expect to be cross-checked or boarded or slashed either...but it happens. That's why they are penalties. I just don't see it being any more than what it was. 2:00 for interference.  Not sure where "blindside" comes into account as far as a penalty. The rule states unaware and hit in the back. Certainly the latter does not apply. The penalty (rightfully) is when he hit him - not where. Just my $2.00.

Agree on the "penalty and that's it" and where he hit him, etc.  To me, that was the beginning and end of it.

Archived