Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The only caveat being that Farabee is a left winger. 

There are probably 5-10 guys I'd play ahead of Laughton. 

But to your central point, yeah, an embarrassment of riches and some very hard decisions we all won't always like. 

Exactly what I meant. There's so much to be excited about - Hextall has made me care about the Phantoms again. 

In those McGinn days, there was literally NOBODY to be excited about. 

Noebels? 

Akeson?

Cousins?

Lauridsen?

Cal freakin' Heeter?

If we hit on 30% of them, that's awesome because there ain't room for more than that. And if we hit on more than that, they become great tradeable assets. 

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Sanheim out one week following the Martin hit last night.

Could have been worse. Best case is that it wakes up Sanheim to the point where it brings out the little nasty SOB side in him. 

42 minutes ago, brelic said:

Timing is very weird indeed. And judging by Bundy's response, he was blindsided. I actually like his personality and thought he was a nice complement to JJ and Clement/Jonesy.

In all honesty, I'd prefer they just abandon the inside-the-glass thing and leave it vacant. Doesn't add much value for me personally.

I thought Bundy was good, way better than Coatsy.    The whole thing seems strange.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I must say i'm interested in seeing NAK with Giorux however not overly impressed with Weal as their center.

And Misha centering JVR and Jake wow he ain't never had two guys like that to skate with and set up...can't wait to see.

Meyers getting to skate with Ivan should be very revealing.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Timing is very weird indeed. And judging by Bundy's response, he was blindsided. I actually like his personality and thought he was a nice complement to JJ and Clement/Jonesy.

In all honesty, I'd prefer they just abandon the inside-the-glass thing and leave it vacant. Doesn't add much value for me personally.

Yes, I believe he was blindsided.  And very angry about it.

I can take it or leave it, but sometimes you get some good nuggets of info about the back-and-forth between the benches.

Man from everything i having been reading (multiple sources) there is a good chance Misha and Meyers could force some guys out the Flyers lineup come the start of the season.

And that would be a good thing for the team....not so good for the guys spots they steal but it is about icing the best lineup come opening night regardless of contract or said drafted players spot.

Man the best man win.

Tonight's game will be broadcast tonight on NHLnetwork at 10:30 for those who can't get it live.

Zamula looks really good.  I'm really impressed considering he was undrafted.

Friedman does a nice job jumping up on the play. I imagine at some point there will be some purpose to it or benefit from it.

Vorobyev and Myers to me stood out among the rookies. Hart didn't get a lot of big tests but stopped everything he faced. 

Zamula looked good too. Ghost was downright dominant. 

Also Laughton was noticeable every shift, making stuff happen and full of hustle. 

57 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

It's early, he played with Porvy, but Myers looks like he might really make the team! We might also keep Ghost! Vorby also look really solid. G-- I'm going to have to learn Russian spelling!

You're not fooling anyone. Where were you June 9, 2016? 

Vorobyev had some nice plays in last nights game.  I think there is some real reason for praise,  however if he wants to be an NHLer he needs improvement on his face-offs.  He won just 4 of 19 draws last night.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Giroux / Couts / TKO

JVR / Patrick / Voracek

Lindblom / Vorobyev / Simmonds

Provo / Myers

Ghost / Mac

Sanheim / Hagg

The future is now?

Up front, I could see that. So what would the 4th look like?

Laughton/Weal/Raffl?

Lehtera

Weise

Also, while I love the defense pairings, that would mean sitting Gudas and Folin, which I don't think will happen long-term. So I think a trade (Gudas) would need to happen for those pairings to happen.

30 minutes ago, brelic said:

Also, while I love the defense pairings, that would mean sitting Gudas and Folin, which I don't think will happen long-term. So I think a trade (Gudas) would need to happen for those pairings to happen.

Well, and really I think it's still too early to assume Myers makes the team at all. I was mostly just projecting on a possibility. :)

That said, I would imagine that if anyone is willing to trade for Gudas at some point this season, Hexy will very likely pull the trigger. He's clearly become very expendable. The question is what would it take for another team to want him. I assume it would take some sort of blue line injury to a team who wants a bruiser around to take the heat off.

It's really a shame he was neutered so badly last season. I do understand it, and seeing our hopeless PK makes me fully agree that we need to avoid taking penalties at all costs. Still, Gudas without the physicality is not an effective NHL dman. Either the team wanting him has to not mind being looser with the rules, or they have to be in pretty big need on the back end. Entirely possible of course, but it's not a situation where I would think Hexy is fielding a bunch of calls for Gudas' services.

As far as what that leaves for our fourth line: it leaves mostly scrubs, but that's fine. If we have three effective lines, that fourth should see virtually no ice time anyway. Those players you mentioned make up a pretty typical fourth line actually. I think it makes sense.

I watched a portion of Monday's game.

I thought Phillipe Meyers looked like the real deal, that kid can f'ing skate, he's got a long reach, he'll challenge a guy...he played with a bunch of partners...didn't matter he looked confident and ready.  One game I know, but he stood out in  a good way. So did Zamula whom I had zero expectation for, he really looked good in the offensive zone, he seems to have a pretty good hockey IQ too.  

Other than faceoffs, I thought Vorobyev had a really good night.  The puck seemed to find him in the offensive zone, he was always around it, always doing something positive.  I thought he had some nice 2 way plays as well.  He seems to really understand the game.  Laughton too seemed to have something to prove, he was fast and looked good to me.

I liked Giroux's last shift where he kept the intensity up, I thought that was good leadership, his linemates responded pretty well too, Aube Kuebel looked fast and kind of effective when I saw him.  Ghoulbourne is a gamer that dude he fought was 30 lbs and many inches larger...didn't matter.  I'd prefer to see him skate and hit though, I like his straight line "kunitz style" game.

I like Corbin Knight's work ethic, he is probably destined for LV, however, I think having guys like him around sets a great example for guys coming through the system. I don't want any injuries to key guys, but Knight is a good bloke whom I wouldn't mind or worry about getting a call-up.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Vorobyev had some nice plays in last nights game.  I think there is some real reason for praise,  however if he wants to be an NHLer he needs improvement on his face-offs.  He won just 4 of 19 draws last night.

Plenty of time to work on his face offs.

The guys who impressed me most was Misha and Zamula.

Not meant to rip on anyone but for a 18 year old kid Zamula made some nice calm subtle plays.

Plays i would love and have been waiting to see from Sanheim.  

I would have to think the kid has earned a ELC so far.

Guys i was not impressed with was Vecchione and Weal.

Hopefully now we can put to bed the thought of Weal playing the pivot. 

I think he will make some mean popcorn when given the chance.

Sure there is a lot of preseason left to be played but i'm afraid Vecchione will only be a Phantom if the Flyers organization.

He is too old to show up like last and be invisible....only way i know he played was from the commentators.

I will throw in NAK as playing well.

Wow this feisty frenchman was banging bodies all night.

Kid showed me he can come in and if nothing else play on the 4th and bring a physical presence to the Flyers game which they need.

And Carter Hart even though wasn't tested seemed to bring a nice calm presence to the net with sound positioning to boot.

Ivan was Ivan. 

And i think Meyers in my mind has leaped frogged Sanheim and played a great all round game last night. Kept it simple.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Laughton/Weal/Raffl?

With NAK physical play i saw last night and possible upside i would be ok with a 4th of Raffl/Laughton/NAK

Kid was very physical and finished his checks all night and would be welcomed on my 4th line for sure.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Well, and really I think it's still too early to assume Myers makes the team at all.

Sorry but from what i saw last night from him and sure it was one preseason game but he has leaped over Sanheim to me.

Kid brought a nice calm presence last night to the backend and kept his play simple and moved around pretty well for a guy who out weights Sanheim by a good 10-15 pounds.

So he is making it hard like i wanted.

So yeah as Brel said....could always trade Gudas away...

Archived