Game 28: Flyers at Jets 12/09/18 3:00 pm

OccamsRazor

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

and missing the other net constantly....

how many times did Laughton miss the net?  I ran out of fingers.   And on plays where you didn't think it was physically possible.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

how many times did Laughton miss the net?  I ran out of fingers.   And on plays where you didn't think it was physically possible.

I lost count he wasn't the only one but it was countless...

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Rux: I listened to the 3rd period on Sirius.  We got the Winnipeg feed.  I believe they said eight blocked shots and 15 missed shots.  So you weren't anatomically or mentally challenged.  It sounds like this game was a total cluster chuck.  

This team is so frustrating. 

There's no shame in losing to one of the top teams in the West, playing the back end of a b2b and third game in four nights. Winnipeg is a much better team, and that's ok. 

But getting blown out 7-1? Is it just me or does this team get blown out A LOT?

Also, they said on the feed yesterday that the Flyers have fallen behind 2-0 in 10 of their last 11 games. That sounds incredible to me. 

There is no question this team is worse than last year. Like, much worse. 

Only 6 teams have had a worse PP over the last 10 years, and that should be a strength when you look at who is actually on our PP. 

Really, there are two things better than last year. Faceoffs, and Giroux's 82 game pace (105 pts).

That's it. 

It was a frustrating game for sure. The way the team came out, I think many of us were hopeful they'd pull out a beauty. Then the goals started piling up, and suddenly it was the same ol same ol. 

It's also really hard to know where the problems were in that game. I mean at some point the problems are just everywhere. We can nitpick as we always do, but I don't see it. They just plain sucked from the net to the front. Period.

I was hopeful when Stolie went in that maybe he could show up big and help steady things. He did not. I'm with @brelic personally. Aside from Giroux and our faceoff wins, there aren't many redeeming qualities in this squad at this point.

Anyway, bring on the deadline shedding, and let's move on from the Hak experiment while we're at it.

22 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Looks like old Fletch has his work cut out for him...

Can you just swap the whole roster for roster?

Swap all the players and picks for all the players and picks....just have to find a taker!

:beer:

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Swap all the players and picks for all the players and picks....just have to find a taker!

Um, it's probably easier to just cheer for that other team lol.

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm surprised by several things over the time I have been a fan.  (I became a fan of Flyers in the 1984-1985 season).

#1 The period from 1984-1987 that was AMAZING in every way and that I have NEVER enjoyed hockey more than in those 3 seasons (save for the Lindbergh death part). 

#2.  The decline and mismanagement of the team since the 1987 cup loss. It has has been epic and monumental.  Remember up to 1987 the team was only in the league for 20 years and had 2 cups and 4 Vezina trophies, 4 Finals appearances, and only missed the playoffs 2X in that span.  In the 30+ years since then we had 0 Vezina trophies, 2 Finals appearances and missed the playoffs 9 times with a painful run of 5 years straight from 1989-1994.

#3 How much mileage from that 1984-1987 timeframe the Flyers have gotten off of me.  I remember it so fondly much like a drug addict I have been chasing that feeling again since 1987 and have sadly never come across it.  (1996 I mostly missed as I studied abroad and 2010 was kind of a nice surprise but not nearly the same). 

#4 How forward thinking I was in 1987 when I said to myself as an 11 year old being driven to a game on I-76 going past I-676 and approaching 30th St. station , "enjoy this team now for all they are worth because someday they wont be together forever and it may never be the same".

I'm sad that I was right, although back then if asked what the Flyers would be in 2018 I would have said something like an 8-10 time Champion and the class of the league. :rolleyes:

Poulin and Colleagues:

Yep...we are in Dark Ages for the franchise. Six years without a playoff series win is pretty amazing, especially in a league with such parity.  

A few years ago, I would have said that this was a team built primarily through trade and FA, so the pieces may not have really fit.  Now we have more draftees, and it doesn't seem to matter. We have had underperformance through umpteen coaches. This makes me wonder about our drafts.  

We won't do much by relying on one line for scoring.   If the team continues to play as is, I suspect our new GM will engage in significant roster change by the deadline.  I believe Simmonds is all but done.  We will see. 

8 hours ago, brelic said:

Only 6 teams have had a worse PP over the last 10 years, and that should be a strength when you look at who is actually on our PP. 

I believe their goaltending is also bordering on historically poor performance.

Didn't see either game this weekend.  Read that the Flyers played well vs. Winnipeg in the first period, but succumbed to poor goaltending (Neuvirth) and then essentially gave up.  Accurate?

3 hours ago, vis said:

I believe their goaltending is also bordering on historically poor performance.

Didn't see either game this weekend.  Read that the Flyers played well vs. Winnipeg in the first period, but succumbed to poor goaltending (Neuvirth) and then essentially gave up.  Accurate?

That's the way I saw it, anyway. 

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That's the way I saw it, anyway. 

It's clear that this team is not mentally tough to overcome poor goaltending.  I know it's not anything groundbreaking, but goaltending is (and has been ) the root of so many issues for this team.  Obviously their record would be better if they got average goaltending, but their confidence level would go up and some of that "fragility" would probably be abated.  They could probably play a more aggressive, entertaining style.  Penalty kill would be better.  Probably makes Hakstol look like a better coach.  It would solve so many problems.

1 hour ago, vis said:

It's clear that this team is not mentally tough to overcome poor goaltending.  I know it's not anything groundbreaking, but goaltending is (and has been ) the root of so many issues for this team.  Obviously their record would be better if they got average goaltending, but their confidence level would go up and some of that "fragility" would probably be abated.  They could probably play a more aggressive, entertaining style.  Penalty kill would be better.  Probably makes Hakstol look like a better coach.  It would solve so many problems.

I think it's an established hockey fact that players play tentatively in front of goaltending they lack faith in. And it compounds. The new, faster NHL punishes tentative play without mercy.

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I think it's an established hockey fact that players play tentatively in front of goaltending they lack faith in. And it compounds. The new, faster NHL punishes tentative play without mercy.

Exactly.  I'm certainly not breaking any new ground with my post above.   But you are right: the speed of the game will kill you if you are tentative or delay in any way.  

3 minutes ago, vis said:

Exactly.  I'm certainly not breaking any new ground with my post above.   But you are right: the speed of the game will kill you if you are tentative or delay in any way.  

Not breaking new ground no,  but it's  important to help explain why the teams looks a certain way. It's the disease that explains the symptoms

Archived