Hakstol Fired

AJgoal

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Which only proves you cannot see what is not there. 

Medication helps, though. 

I got that first sentence from a fortune cookie. Deep. That was some good Moo Goo Gai Pan.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, but it's in how you tell the lie.

To outright say "I have not asked Chicago permission to talk to Q and haven't spoken to him in 2 years" are such definitive terms. A man as smart as Fletcher understands how to mask the truth that leaves him a plausible out if/when he is called out. That was not it.

I believe he's telling the truth about that. 

Agree.  There was no GM speak in that sentence.  

I don’t know what to think at this point.  But my gut says this:

Everything about Hextall’s and Hakstol’s firings have been poorly planned and executed.  They shockingly fire the GM, have a poorly run press conference a day later and have no immediate plan to replace him and don’t really articulate a good reason to fire him at that time.    They inexplicably don’t fire the coach, but say it’s the next GMs call.  But yet everyone knows the coach is DOA.  Meanwhile, they leak a bunch of stories painting the GM as a controlling tyrant.  

Then they oddly allow the team’s press coordinator to call a press conference for the GM across the street from the team’s facility.  Like, what?

Then they bring in Chuck Fletcher.  A guy with the kind of “bias for action” that the mouthpiece for the organization’s corporate parent wants.  Of course, his “actions” lead nowhere for the Wild and that org looks like it needs to be torn down.  

He promptly fires the spy and hires his own spy.  

Meanwhile, the team looks even worse than it did before Hextall was fired.  It’s clear the staff doesn’t have answers.  Players are done.  

They finally fire Hakstol but allow the story to leak ahead of time and then awkwardly lie about him remaining as coach.  And they fire him apparently without having a replacement in hand.  Everyone knows Gordon is a place saver.  Will the players even bother listening to him?

In the midst of all of this, they bring up their prized prospect goaltender to either start the next game or backup a chronically injured goalie who hasn’t played a full game this year.  What could go wrong?

At this point, they should write off the season and acquire assets.

1 hour ago, Poulin20 said:

I cant find anything online.  Watching on TV now.

Calgary game seems to represent to Fletch everything that was wrong with the team.  He gives Hak credit for his philosophy but didnt see what he was preaching in the actions of the players which was why they went the "new voice" road.  Also need more attention to details for the future. 

Fletch says he is still getting to know the team and that he is still trying to ID what characteristics of a HC they need to move this team forward.  He says basically everyone is a candidate at this time and that he expects Gordon to be the coach for the rest of the year (I wonder if he means the year 2018 :-).

I listened to all of 0 seconds of the press conference on 97.5.  They had great coverage.  Apparently Nick Foles is better than Carson Wentz.  That confused me though because those guys dont even play for the flyers.  I thought maybe...just maybe they weren't airing the press conference of a head coach firing in a major sport, but that wouldn't be the case.  97.5 is the radio station of the flyers, and their mid day host/station management is a hockey guy.

So for those who didnt hear it, Nick Foles is better than Carson Wentz and someone brought up a mafia movie quote.  Brian Westbrook will explain more at 4.  Maybe Jason Stark will take some time from HOT STOVE talk to answer questions about Quenville.  He feels intimidated when talking hockey because Tyrone and Natalie know so much about hockey, he couldn't possibly add anything else.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Which only proves you cannot see what is not there. 

Medication helps, though. 

58 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

New Flyers slogan.

Doc’s shop is now open for business!!!

I take cash and certified checks only. :VeryCool: :blowingakiss::smileyandcomputer:

13 minutes ago, icehole said:

I listened to all of 0 seconds of the press conference on 97.5.  They had great coverage.  Apparently Nick Foles is better than Carson Wentz.  That confused me though because those guys dont even play for the flyers.  I thought maybe...just maybe they weren't airing the press conference of a head coach firing in a major sport, but that wouldn't be the case.  97.5 is the radio station of the flyers, and their mid day host/station management is a hockey guy.

So for those who didnt hear it, Nick Foles is better than Carson Wentz and someone brought up a mafia movie quote.  Brian Westbrook will explain more at 4.  Maybe Jason Stark will take some time from HOT STOVE talk to answer questions about Quenville.  He feels intimidated when talking hockey because Tyrone and Natalie know so much about hockey, he couldn't possibly add anything else.

They simulcast that on Sportsnet. Idiotic callers. They really need to do something about Philly public schools. 

The broke in and showed it on Sportsnet. That's weird they didn't on the radio. 

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Doc’s shop is now open for business!!!

I take cash and certified checks only. :VeryCool: :blowingakiss::smileyandcomputer:

I'll keep going to our CVS, where they take payment in kind. I mean, I use a card, but based on some of the employees... 

1 hour ago, vis said:

At this point, they should write off the season and acquire assets.

Shhhhiiiiiiiittttt I did that once they fired Hextall and one of Hak's first moves was to bench Folin and play Mcdud....i was done....they are done.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Shhhhiiiiiiiittttt I did that once they fired Hextall and one of Hak's first moves was to bench Folin and play Mcdud....i was done....they are done.

Give it a chance.

So Q is in Colorado skiing...yeah no way he is in a rush to get back to work especially with the holidays here and 6 million coming to his bank account....maybe in the offseason but not now.

If ever now.

4 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I guess they gave him the job since he is familiar with a goaltending mess his last year on the Isle.

With Roloson, Montoya, Poulin, Diepietro, Lawson and the kid who is in Edmonton who isn't playing bad.

Yeah that was a crappy year in goal too.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess they gave him the job since he is familiar with a goaltending mess his last year on the Isle.

With Roloson, Montoya, Poulin, Diepietro, Lawson and the kid who is in Edmonton who isn't playing bad.

Yeah that was a crappy year in goal too.

He got the job because everyone else they asked said they'd rather be White House Chief of Staff.

3 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Lots of GM speak today.  Who knows if we can trust him as  GMs lie all to the press the time and I dont put 100% stock in what he says about not speaking with Q at all.  Hard to read him how he really feels about the players.  He says they have heart and that they are a good team, he didn't think that Haks message was getting through and that there was a lack of attention to details, especially defensively.  He  outwardly suggesting that he wants to be careful about making knee jerk trades (my words not his) as he is still getting to know the players and doesn't want to be fooled by the small sample size of games he has seen so far.  I like hearing this but not sure if I really trust him on that as we know the pressure from above is immense on doing something that would conceivably re-energize the bedraggled fanbase and angry STHs.

Previously I've mentioned Chuck Fletcher is very smart. Press conferences is where he excels... While players and moves is where I question his actions.

Chuck is very honest and doesn't pull punches. People can believe what he says. When he was with the Wild his sincerity and honesty were worthy (me being a Wild fan that's how I've seen it.)

Because he's smart, and honest... The only way to get a read on him is what he doesn't say. There were two clips of his press conference I've watched, from "Flyers TV" and in each of the videos he pretty much covered all bases regarding how he came to fire Hakstol and how (why) he selected Gordon to be the interim coach.

Then there's things he does say (like feeder input) along with him sort of thinking out loud as he speaks. For instance, he noted there's a lot of season left, and eluded to being in a good position of having talented prospects. (fan speak = Chuck isn't afraid of calling up prospects and using them.) In the case of the Wild I believe he pushed them too soon, but on his behalf he's willing to test a few of them as he seeks what direction the team needs to go. In the coming weeks I suspect, because he brought up the Flyers prospects, that some shuffling will occur. He flat out said, he wants to see continued development from our younger players. Which is why I do believe some of them will be called upon.

By saying it in the presser make no mistakes about it, he's subtly sending a challenge out to his NHL players. Something I'm totally guessing at but if he spoke to the team this morning, they already know a good portion of what he's expecting of them: More wins, more attention to detail, better puck handling / control, etc.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Yes, but it's in how you tell the lie.

To outright say "I have not asked Chicago permission to talk to Q and haven't spoken to him in 2 years" are such definitive terms. A man as smart as Fletcher understands how to mask the truth that leaves him a plausible out if/when he is called out. That was not it.

I believe he's telling the truth about that. 

So far I've not come across footage covering any discussion about coach Q, but when I do I'll try to review it and provide my take.

Carter Hart (goalie) was called up. Ha, just found the video and watched it. (Who said Fletcher will be diving into his prospect pool?)

Carter Hall said he got the call from coach Gordon last night. That kind of tells me when Fletcher spoke of a long flight home... All this was already in the works and today they simply had to make it official.

Archived