Game 32: Red Wings at Flyers; 12/18 @ 7

Howie58

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now I would do this in a heart  Hart beat.

Or I would do a Voracek/Lyon for AP.

I would do a Voracek/Hagg/Lyon for AP even.

I'm sure that's what you meant.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brelic said:

I was actually excited to watch a Flyers game again! And they came through for the fans, for Hart, but most importantly, for themselves.

Missed the game last night, but caught some highlights.  Looks like Hart wasn't tested much and, when he was, he made the stop.

What are everyone's thoughts on the lines, particularly JVR/Giroux/Konecny?  On paper, I like the looks of it.  Not sure what to make of Couturier's and Patrick's lines.  Interesting that Couturier's line appears to have logged more time 5v5 than Giroux's.  Maybe that's a way to keep some wear and tear off Giroux.

Nice to see Sanheim with quality minutes and MacDonald not.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Man, I do NOT envy Fletcher this morning, who has been on record several times saying he wants to get a trade in before the freeze tonight at 11:59.

The nice part about Hart's performance for Fletcher is that the Flyers don't look as desperate for a goaltender.  Not sure if other GMs buy it, but if Hart (or Lyon or Neuvirth) got lit up last night, teams with goalies to spare would be salivating at the opportunity to fleece Fletcher.  Now, Fletcher has a little breathing room.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Missed the game last night, but caught some highlights.  Looks like Hart wasn't tested much and, when he was, he made the stop.

Yeah, he wasn't tested very much. The team did a great job limiting chances and shots. The second goal was the kind of redirect most top level goalies would stop. Not really gonna fault the kid on his first NHL start. But, Varone could also have done a better job on the stick. 

All in all, a great debut for Hart.

1 hour ago, vis said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the lines, particularly JVR/Giroux/Konecny?  On paper, I like the looks of it.  Not sure what to make of Couturier's and Patrick's lines.  Interesting that Couturier's line appears to have logged more time 5v5 than Giroux's.  Maybe that's a way to keep some wear and tear off Giroux.

I liked the lines, actually. Each of them had sustained pressure and seemed to play well together. If Couturier's line plays against the toughest competition, that makes sense, and takes some pressure of G's line.

Patrick's line looked very good - Patrick and Raffl in particular. 

And, like I said in a previous post, Varone's line was a force all night. On the post-game broadcast, they mentioned that right after that line was scored on, Gordon put them right back on the ice. And he didn't really shorten the bench as the game went on. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

Yes, and also reduced minutes for Ghost, which might be more appropriate for his strengths. I get the sense he was overexposed when he plays top competition and 20+ minutes. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

The nice part about Hart's performance for Fletcher is that the Flyers don't look as desperate for a goaltender.  Not sure if other GMs buy it, but if Hart (or Lyon or Neuvirth) got lit up last night, teams with goalies to spare would be salivating at the opportunity to fleece Fletcher.  Now, Fletcher has a little breathing room.

Exactly. Let's see what happens over the next 10 hours lol.

No way St. Louis trades Alex Pietrangelo for the last half year of Wayne Simmonds and a goalie who can't stick on a team that just started their sixth one of the season.

I don't trade Voracek for Pietrangelo, either. That's fixing one hole by creating a bigger one. About the only rumored available piece that I'm willing to part with Voracek in a trade for is Tarasenko.

3 hours ago, vis said:

The thing about 14/17/93 is when they get the puck, they f'ing keep it until they get a scoring chance.

I thought all the lines looked good.

Evidently Gordon called JvR out remembering his time with him in  Toronto and saying he should be doing more. He looked engaged and when that happens he's pretty okay.  If people want to compare a hockey player to Von Hayes...JvR is your huckleberry.  My hope is he stays motivated for a few years. Giroux can bounce pucks off his ass into the net the way he did with Hartnell.

Koneckny makes things happen, I love that kid's game. I love how he thinks he's 6'3" and 240, I think that line could be really really good and a mismatch for a lot of teams. 

They sent Varone down which is too bad, he's pretty good, he hustles I don't know if he'll find the scoring touch in the NHL but he was there to make **** happen and this team needs that.

I liked seeing Lindblom engaged again as well, get that kid below the dots or behind the net and let him make some plays, he's smart he had his wheels going last night, I don't know why so many of these players were sleep walking for Hakstol.  

Last night's game was how I thought this team would play all year with the occasional turd thrown in...so far the opposite has been true hence new leadership.

Truly, if Gordon is going to play release the hounds, I say why not ? he knows a lot of these young guys, I know he relied on Sanheim on the Phantoms, same with Lindblom, he likes to play with pace according to 47...if the team plays like this the rest of the year...who knows?  they were exciting last night, first time I've thought that in about 2 months. Even when they put 6 on the Sabres it was a snooze fest. 

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

No way St. Louis trades Alex Pietrangelo for the last half year of Wayne Simmonds and a goalie who can't stick on a team that just started their sixth one of the season.

I don't trade Voracek for Pietrangelo, either. That's fixing one hole by creating a bigger one. About the only rumored available piece that I'm willing to part with Voracek in a trade for is Tarasenko.

yes but Armstrong.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

They sent Varone down which is too bad, he's pretty good, he hustles I don't know if he'll find the scoring touch in the NHL but he was there to make **** happen and this team needs that.

It was a loan is all they need the bodies because of injuries and they have a game tonight and 3 this weekend.

Wasn't because of anything bad.....

A source close to the team said that Hextall and Hakstol watched last nights game from a local sports bar in South Jersey. The conversation went something like this apparently,

7:05pm

RH: “No way Carter is ready. Can’t believe they are throwing him out there.”

DH: “You’re right Ron. I also can’t believe how they are treating Jori. He should definitely be in the lineup over Lindblom or Varone.” “Sanheim in the top pairing? Gordon won’t be around long giving him Mac’s minutes.”

9:00pm

DH: “Got the lead going into the 3rd. Time to sit back and go into a shell. Dump and don’t chase. My system never fails.”

9:30p

RH: “Well f**k me, looks like Carter was ready.” “Sanheim also looked good.Why didn’t you play him more Dave?”

DH: “well it was hard to concentrate on the bench with the constant booing of the fans so I turned to Lappy for help and he ****ed me by just standing there.”

RH: “If we only had 3 more years Dave.”

30 minutes ago, Samifan said:

A source close to the team said that Hextall and Hakstol watched last nights game from a local sports bar in South Jersey. The conversation went something like this apparently,

7:05pm

RH: “No way Carter is ready. Can’t believe they are throwing him out there.”

DH: “You’re right Ron. I also can’t believe how they are treating Jori. He should definitely be in the lineup over Lindblom or Varone.” “Sanheim in the top pairing? Gordon won’t be around long giving him Mac’s minutes.”

9:00pm

DH: “Got the lead going into the 3rd. Time to sit back and go into a shell. Dump and don’t chase. My system never fails.”

9:30p

RH: “Well f**k me, looks like Carter was ready.” “Sanheim also looked good.Why didn’t you play him more Dave?”

DH: “well it was hard to concentrate on the bench with the constant booing of the fans so I turned to Lappy for help and he ****ed me by just standing there.”

RH: “If we only had 3 more years Dave.”

Omg.... that is funny as hell... instant classic!  Well done!!

19 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

If people want to compare a hockey player to Von Hayes...JvR is your huckleberry. 

Seems to be a good comparison.  Never like Von Hayes much, either.

He killed penalties under Gordon in the AHL.  Thought he'd get the chance here as well.  Guess not...

I liked seeing Lindblom engaged again as well, get that kid below the dots or behind the net and let him make some plays, he's smart he had his wheels going last night, I don't know why so many of these players were sleep walking for Hakstol.  

I'm still reserving judgment on Lindblom.  I've seen glimpses of high end play, but he's not nearly as consistent as he needs to be.  Sometimes he looks a bit scared out there.  hoping a new coach helps.

they were exciting last night, first time I've thought that in about 2 months.

Let's see if that continues.  It sounds like they played the way we hoped they would before the season began.  It's also one thing to do it against Detroit.  Will be interesting to see how they play tonight.

Archived