Alex Stalock Staying Put: 3yrs, $785K AAV

TropicalFruitGirl26

Stalock.thumb.jpg.1a1b312d1e3506f7eed79e0879838cf9.jpg

Well, looks like the Wild are happy with the 'status quo' in goal....
Stalock just signed an extension to stay on with the team for 3 more seasons.

From NHL.com
https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/minnesota-wild-alex-stalock-contract-extension-012919/c-304285678

Some fans may like this extension (the money certainly isn't bad), some may not.
Personally, while I don't think the signing is horrible, I feel that the Wild probably could have done better with a free agent signing....although, yes, I realize a FA goalie would cost more than the money Stalock signed for.

**Sigh**
And that is the rub I think..... WHO the Wild could have gotten, given the limited amount of cap space they have.
Thus why we are back with Dubnyk/Stalock for the next three seasons or so.

I don't want to crap on Stalock...I KNOW he isn't the worst goalie in the world..... but in my mind, he absolutely represents what the Minnesota Wild are... Standard.

Very standard. Average to good players. Average to good win-loss record. Average to good chances in the post season (but yet still haven't won anything..this we all know). And now, average to good goaltending...which will once again, keep the team where it always has been... in the middle.
Not horrible, not great...… not bad enough to get a high draft pick, but not good enough to really have a shot to go deep in the playoffs.

And Dubnyk will continue to be overworked.

Perhaps there just wasn't anyone else out there.
I made a case for Casey DeSmith (see what I did there?  :shifty: ), but of course, the Pittsburgh Penguin smartly locked him up before the season was over.
I also thought maybe a guy like Keith Kinkaid could work (or not....the guy has been up n down in NJ, and seems to have lost the crease to rookie Blackwood now).
And I even thought maybe a Jimmy Howard on a short term deal to do sorta a time share with Dubnyk, keeping both fresh for the duration of both their contracts (thinking 2-3 years), BUT of course, a guy like Howard probably would cost much, much more than what Stalock signed for.

I know, I know...I am spinning my wheels here.
Not really "disappointed" by this signing...again, Stalock isn't horrible....but for some reason, I find it hard to get particularly excited either.

Thoughts from the Wild fanbase....please...give me something to get excited about with this signing.....

28 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

This really makes me wonder/nervous about their plans for Kahkonen.

I don't know if I would be worried about Kahkonen (although I think its funny that if he WERE to be called up while over the next two seasons he would be making almost as much as Stalock is)……….but if you look at the way the contracts are set up (I use capfriendly dot com for these purposes), they are staggered so that Duby's and Stalock's contracts will be over by the time Kahkonen will need a new one himself.

And probably the thinking is, by then, the Wild should absolutely know what they have in Kahkonen before perhaps giving him the big money and making him their number one.
Lots of variables in all that (and goalies are a notoriously fluky bunch to try and gauge), but seems to me that is that plan.
And I'd like to THINK the Wild have a plan in place...….

If for some reason, Kahkonen is ready before either Duby's or Stalock's contracts are done, then the team would simply make room for him one way or the other.

In the meantime, at just 22 yrs old, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing for Kahkonen to continue being the number one on a winning Iowa team and continue to refine his game.

38 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Thoughts from the Wild fanbase....please...give me something to get excited about with this signing.

There's nothing to be excited about.  But there's not necessarily anything to be upset about, either.   You're paying what amounts to a barely above minimum NHLer a barely above minimum salary for the next 3 years to play backup goal.   So long as Dubnyk doesn't continue his descent into hell, you should be fine.

And, @ClusterChuck, Kahkonen looks really good to me.  I don't think the nervousness should be about him (unless you want him to go somewhere, then be worried).  I think you'll probably see Dubnyk gone after or during next season.  If not, at $785K, expose Stolarz to waivers whenever you're ready for Kahkonen.  With luck, someone will grab him at that.  If not, you're not spending a ton on someone in the AHL.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

The other thought is that you've just ensured you don't have to expose either Dubnyk or Kahkonen (unlikely anyway) to the expansion draft if the Vegas rules are used.

Hmm.....good point...hadn't thought of that.

Completely forgot that another raiding of rosters is coming after next season.....

GMs better be on their toes.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The other thought is that you've just ensured you don't have to expose either Dubnyk or Kahkonen (unlikely anyway) to the expansion draft if the Vegas rules are used.

Agree - good point.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Stalock.thumb.jpg.1a1b312d1e3506f7eed79e0879838cf9.jpg

Thoughts from the Wild fanbase....please...give me something to get excited about with this signing.....

My thoughts regarding that signing.
First of all -I agree - it is a very good price for the backup goalie;
Second- he is still a pretty good goalie;(we did the same  - smartly locked Stalock before the end of the season as Pittsburg did with DeSmith);
Third - Kahkonen(he should be locked well here somehow too) will have more time for a better developing and probably, sooner or later will have a solid chance to replace or Stalock or even Dubnyk. I think Kaapo is really our promising future goaltender.
Forth- Stalock's mentality should be changed to be more focused during the game and also he should be trained by a goalie coach more seriously to stay in the crease and to not run far away out of it during the game, which happening kind of often. Forwards are much faster players than goalies and usually take advantage of those mistakes. That is a scaring part not only for us(fans) but as well as up to death for our coach. Boudreau mentioned that in his interviews.

41 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

^This.

With the way the Wild got jobbed in that Vegas expansion draft, you can bet Fenton is making sure that the Wild don't lose anything of value to Seattle...

3 hours ago, Gnarkill said:

yeah the 3 years instead of 2 is early posturing... with 2 years on the deal they wouldn't be able to expose him to Seattle in the expansion.. with 3 on the deal they will be able to.

I was thinking it was summer sooner. :dizzysmiley-1:

Between my original reaction and now, I thought of similar minus my time stamp error.

I was under the impression we were hanging on to Stalock through this season and then have Kahkonen as back up next year.

And @Alexandron Thanks for the article, That helps.

With all that info, It makes more sense. I thought that Stalock might have been part of Fenton's trade plans right now and seeing the singing well, Really baffled me.

Oh and no way do I want to KK gone. I figured he's our future #1 *fingers crossed* 

My initial reaction: They know Stalock is okay with very limited ice time, others may want or demand more, thus keep with the current mess so as to not rock the boat. And yes, it's more of a move to expose him to expansion.

Its not an exorbitant or careless deal.  I'd be another thing if they threw $2+ million a season for 3 years.  But its sensible and forward thinking in concept.  Although I don't think our pickings will be quite as tempting this time around for Seattle as it was for Vegas.  In fact, we might look pretty decrepit by then.  

26 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Its not an exorbitant or careless deal.  I'd be another thing if they threw $2+ million a season for 3 years.  But its sensible and forward thinking in concept.  Although I don't think our pickings will be quite as tempting this time around for Seattle as it was for Vegas.  In fact, we might look pretty decrepit by then.  

This actually is a good point.

As far as goalies go, teams like Chicago (Delia), Arizona (Hill), Buffalo (Ullmark), St. Louis (Binnington), just to name a few,  might actually have more to worry about with regards to losing a young promising netminder.

As for other positions, yea, I don't see where many of our guys "jump out" enough to make them a must have for Seattle.

I don't think overall in general the pickings will be as great as they were for Vegas. Have the GM's learned from that?

We'll find out.

Sure, The scenario may occur such as many players not given their chances with current teams etc, But can that magic happen again?

I feel bad for the Seattle fans who probably are expecting similar to what happened in Vegas.

As much as I dislike expansion and the disruption due to the drafts, It is a bit fascinating.

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Highly doubt Seattle would tab Stalock to build a team. That said they have to take at least one Wild player so guys like Ek, Kunin, Seeler may be exposed and taken.

But on just about any team Stalock isn't bad for a backup. Not for under a million a year.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, rottenrefs said:

My initial reaction: They know Stalock is okay with very limited ice time, others may want or demand more, thus keep with the current mess so as to not rock the boat. And yes, it's more of a move to expose him to expansion.

This actually bothered the crap out of me.
No, no...not because you posted it. Nothing wrong there.

But because this really shines a light on the fact that the Wild have a guy on the team who is OKAY WITH LIMITED ICE TIME!
I don't know about others, but I've always felt that even the back up should be chomping at the bit to play more....even if he actually doesn't nor warrants more ice time.

If Stalock really is happy with the limited ice time, then to me, THAT is a problem!

I want a guy who is mad he has to wait his turn...a guy who wants the starter's job so badly, he would be willing to put Nyquil in the starter's coffee... a guy who, even if he is at a 3.65 GAA and .875 % clip, STILL feels he is NHL starting material.

In short, someone who would actually PUSH Devan Dubnyk.
Well....like I suspected... Alex Stalock won't be pushing any boundaries, won't be pushing any competitive needles (to a higher echelon anyways), and he certainly won't be pushing Duby.

Status quo.
😐

Oh, but hey, the Wild got a 'serviceable' backup for very cheap. We can hang our hats on that.... 

Please, PLEASE, don't let Kahkonen be a bust......

Stalock sounds much like Prosser, But that's fine with Prosser's situation. I agree I'd rather have Stalock push for more playing time than to just accept his role. Problem is maybe he saw what happens as with Kuemper and doesn't want to risk anything.

14 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Stalock sounds much like Prosser, But that's fine with Prosser's situation. I agree I'd rather have Stalock push for more playing time than to just accept his role. Problem is maybe he saw what happens as with Kuemper and doesn't want to risk anything.

Well, if that is REALLY the case, then maybe that's exactly WHY he should push more.
Kuemper is in a better place.

A starter on a team that is looking to move up.
Sure...he had to be banished to the hell of the Arizona desert to find a starting job (that and Raanta taking his usual IR leave), but I bet Darcy couldn't be happier as the Coyotes starting netminder.   :biggrin:

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This actually bothered the crap out of me.
No, no...not because you posted it. Nothing wrong there.

But because this really shines a light on the fact that the Wild have a guy on the team who is OKAY WITH LIMITED ICE TIME!
I don't know about others, but I've always felt that even the back up should be chomping at the bit to play more....even if he actually doesn't nor warrants more ice time.

If Stalock really is happy with the limited ice time, then to me, THAT is a problem!

I want a guy who is mad he has to wait his turn...a guy who wants the starter's job so badly, he would be willing to put Nyquil in the starter's coffee... a guy who, even if he is at a 3.65 GAA and .875 % clip, STILL feels he is NHL starting material.

In short, someone who would actually PUSH Devan Dubnyk.
Well....like I suspected... Alex Stalock won't be pushing any boundaries, won't be pushing any competitive needles (to a higher echelon anyways), and he certainly won't be pushing Duby.

Status quo.
😐

Oh, but hey, the Wild got a 'serviceable' backup for very cheap. We can hang our hats on that.... 

Please, PLEASE, don't let Kahkonen be a bust......

That's a bit different than how I perceived it, but your points are valid concerns.

My intent wasn't so much Stalock doesn't have the ambition, but more so the team has beat him (and previous goalies ahead of him) into submission thinking he's not that good to compete elsewhere. But, they'll keep him here (personality-wise) because he's got his roots here and that's something he really doesn't want to mess with. Wife, kids, etc.

Look at how they treated Harding behind Backstrom, then added Kuemper into the mix. They kept signing Backstrom even though he was a total sieve, yet they kept giving him the majority of ice time.

Parise is here because his wife wanted to move back to Minnesota. Imagine the ups and downs he's had, sacrifices he's made, concessions... Knowing NHL hockey here in The State of Hockey, is ALL about what's in the water and has nothing to do with breaking the hump to do what it takes to win a Cup here.

As far as pushing Dubnyk, there isn't any real push because regardless how he performs (coaches can get as pissed all they want) I really do believe it's the owners choice and whoever he gets behind nothing is going to change it. There's just been way too many foolish moves / decisions supporting that because nothing else (in my mind) would lead me to believe all these head coaches, assistant coaches, GM's and their bone headed scouts with any decent amount of hockey acumen would continue to keep making the same stupid decisions over and over again. One look at how a lot of businesses here in Minnesota function and operate, keep stumbling along, and it becomes clear our professional sports teams really aren't any different.

Archived